Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming I Just Bought A PS1 - Any Games You Can Recommend?

OmegaBeamOfficial

I was a big fan of the digimon world 1 and 3 games, especially 3. 2 was kind of like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and I didn't really appreciate it that much when I was younger compared to the other RPG-like ones. I remember the monster rancher 1 and 2 games being really fun too, kind of similar to digimon world without the plot and more emphasis on raising monsters. There was also the battle card games, both for digimon and monster rancher. I remember having a lot of fun with those games when I was a kid, though the later levels started to feel like the AI was cheating.

And of course, you can't really go wrong with the crash bandicoot, spyro and megaman series. There are a surprising amount of PS1 games I never picked played, maybe I should dig it out later...

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Legend of Legaia has good music, child friendly story, fun gameplay mechanics, good graphics(compared to final fantasy 7 lol), interesting characters. Its an rpg that's like a turn based fighting game with summons and items.

Then Megaman Legends one and two I enjoyed when I was a kid, both of those were awesome and my childhood.  

Final Fantasy Tactics is underrated and fun, the game is a little unforgiving at the start(get monk abilities asap lol), and the monsters in all battles, and all enemies in random battles scale to you highest character's level I think it was, so grinding is not something you want to do because your equipment will be behind by the time they expect you, and you need a guide if you wanna hit all the secrets. 60 hour gameplay with all the secrets, Oh and theres someone you can steal unique equipment from at 1% chance. Its ridiculously difficult to steal it since he is also powerful you basically need to be over-leveled and debuff him excessively and have your whole team pat em down for his items for 20-80 turns, lol. Not needed to beat the game though, and a more challenging secret boss exists also, and perma death is a thing for all but the protagonist and guest characters.

Also Symphony of the Night is a must everyone else be saying it already though, same with the Final Fantasies 7 8 9, but the Final Fantasies some people have different tastes for.

Funny story about my experience with FF8, I used a gameshark to make Squall level 100 on my team, but the enemy's levels scaled, so I was getting enemies casting death and confusion and stuff on me since early on, especially in the second Laguna story I think it was. Getting death called non-stop, had to revive worthless level 1 teammates with endless phoenix downs so they can meatshield and skip their turn so they can phoenix down me, and it was all real time rpg not turn based. It was so intense as a kid, then there was quite the fitting cutscene after.

Megaman x4 also.

Edited by Lil Pip
  • Brohoof 1

@@Onion Sing,

Wild Arms has been one of my favorite franchises since the PS1 days. I've played every game in the series except the remake of WA1 and it still holds a spot on my top five game franchises.

WA5 and XF are by far the best imo but since this is a topic about PS1 I'd recommend WA2 to anyone curious. There are some people who like the first game more but WA2 is better imo. I wouldn't say it has a darker story so much as it's much more in-depth. Every Wild Arms games deals with things like defining and surpassing the limits of human existence, often through forbidden scientific and magical experimentation.

Legend of Legaia has good music, child friendly story, fun gameplay mechanics, good graphics(compared to final fantasy 7 lol), interesting characters. Its an rpg that's like a turn based fighting game with summons and items.

Then Megaman Legends one and two I enjoyed when I was a kid, both of those were awesome and my childhood.  

Final Fantasy Tactics is underrated and fun, the game is a little unforgiving at the start(get monk abilities asap lol), and the monsters in all battles, and all enemies in random battles scale to you highest character's level I think it was, so grinding is not something you want to do because your equipment will be behind by the time they expect you, and you need a guide if you wanna hit all the secrets. 60 hour gameplay with all the secrets, Oh and theres someone you can steal unique equipment from at 1% chance. Its ridiculously difficult to steal it since he is also powerful you basically need to be over-leveled and debuff him excessively and have your whole team pat em down for his items for 20-80 turns, lol. Not needed to beat the game though, and a more challenging secret boss exists also, and perma death is a thing for all but the protagonist and guest characters.

Also Symphony of the Night is a must everyone else be saying it already though, same with the Final Fantasies 7 8 9, but the Final Fantasies some people have different tastes for.

Funny story about my experience with FF8, I used a gameshark to make Squall level 100 on my team, but the enemy's levels scaled, so I was getting enemies casting death and confusion and stuff on me since early on, especially in the second Laguna story I think it was. Getting death called non-stop, had to revive worthless level 1 teammates with endless phoenix downs so they can meatshield and skip their turn so they can phoenix down me, and it was all real time rpg not turn based. It was so intense as a kid, then there was quite the fitting cutscene after.

Megaman x4 also.

Final Fantasy Tactics? Underrated? It's the most commonly favorite game in the franchise both by fans and outsiders alike. :P

• Brohoof 2

Discordian, on 03 Sept 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

Final Fantasy Tactics? Underrated? It's the most commonly favorite game in the franchise both by fans and outsiders alike. :P

Google fft, 540k results, google ff7, 240m results.

I think you are wrong good sir. I think you are wrong.

• Brohoof 1

Google fft, 540k results, google ff7, 240m results.

I think you are wrong good sir. I think you are wrong.

Not being the most popular doesn't change the fact that it's not underrated in the slightest. I may have been wrong about the commonality of it but FFT is still one of the most recognized and highly rated (both professionally and by gamers) games in the series.

Numbers alone are hard to get any real evidence by. If you spend enough time in gaming communities you'll start to get a feel for what people like and why. More often than not FFT comes out on top of most or all games in the series.

What's more is going purely off of search results doesn't take into account that FFVII is equally vilified and adored. A lot of those results will be a lot of that hate as well. It's easily the most advertised game in the series which is the only reason the search results are that high.

It depends on what type of games you're looking for, but these are the game that i may recommend, but these are the game I may have played previously although I haven't played some so I've only seen what my brothers play

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

I would actually recommend not trying to get this game on PS1. Not only is it highly expensive and very rare but it also rarely works. The way the disc was manufactured makes it impossibly easy to make the game unplayable from the tiniest of scratches. Most games can play through a few scratches, some can even play through big scratches, but Valkyrie Profile is not one of them. Even the tiniest most invisible scratch can make the game stop functioning completely.

The PSP version is the only reasonable way to play the game.

• Brohoof 1

Some PlayStation 1 games I would recommend would be:

- Crash Bandicoot 1

- Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Stikes Back

- Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

- Yu-gi-oh Forbidden Memories

- Megaman 8

- Marvel Vs Capcom 1

• Brohoof 1

@@Lil Pip, Legend of Legaia gets my vote, too!

sig-4659066.Legaia_1.png

I haven't played it in ages, but I remember it has a cool Dance/Rythym mini-game, in that tower-city place.

Still need to get my hands on a copy of this one myself. I played it for a few hours a couple years ago and loved it.

Some other games worth checking out:

Silent Bomber, you play as a commando with experimental bomb tech that allows him to plant bombs instantly on any surface and explode them at will. It's actually a fast-paced action game in spite of how it sounds. Very sci-fi.

Fear Effect, not one I've really played much of myself but it's more or less Resident Evil but instead of health you have a meter that measures the characters heart rate. The higher it is, the more likely you will die. I don't know much else about it but it's supposedly really good.

• Brohoof 1

There is one major game that I absolutely want to recommend if you can find it: Super Puzzle fighter 2 turbo. The game is amazing. The overall package might be a tad light on content but the gameplay itself and the presentation are all top-notch. Definitely pick this one up if you have any interest in puzzle games.

• Brohoof 1

Games i would recommend :

Worms Armageddon

Worms World Party

Rayman

Rayman 2 - The Great Escape

Silent Hill

Clock Tower 2 ( released in America as Clock Tower )

Hellnight

Silent Hill

Any Final Fantasy Game

Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare

Koudelka

Fear Effect

Loaded

Reloaded

Ridge Racer Type 4

Music

Music 2000

Spiderman

Namco Museum

I think thats it.

• Brohoof 2

Games i would recommend :

Worms Armageddon

Worms World Party

Rayman

Rayman 2 - The Great Escape

Silent Hill

Clock Tower 2 ( released in America as Clock Tower )

Hellnight

Silent Hill

Any Final Fantasy Game

Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare

Koudelka

Fear Effect

Loaded

Reloaded

Ridge Racer Type 4

Music

Music 2000

Spiderman

Namco Museum

I think thats it.

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare is a lot of fun. I still need to go back and do the other side of the story myself. I'd recommend this one as well. Especially if you're a fan of either Resident Evil or Silent Hill. It's a pretty cool mix of both.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...