Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Psychiatrists good or bad?

Meire

I tend to think of them as manipulating. Friends on the other hand its more genuine, unless there is old people or people who push you into trying to make you say stuff without consent.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I did not understand a single thing you said.  To answer the question you made in the title, however, no, psychiatrists are not bad people.  They are medical professionals who are there to help you.

But it doesn't feel real though. Its like if i were to put on a mask to help you because i get paid for it. I just get really uncomfortable with the whole idea of it.

Edited by Meire
  • Brohoof 1

Well since I was going for that job a few years back in school..not all bad but some who aren't happy with the job anymore. Think about it. You go to school to learn how to help people. You get that job and begin a journey. But for some it can be overwhelming and for others not as exciting anymore. So they don't care..they slack..and make patients question them. Should some of those people leave that job and find something more? Yes. Should those other people try to remember why they chose this path and try to understand the patient? Yes.

I dunno if I was one I'd try my best to get in that persons shoes and help them the best I can without using medication. But these days..most doctors and such that I've spoken to..they just see people as a number.

You also gotta think these people went to school to learn about the human brain. Yeah you can find some of it online but school will show you more. They dedicated their lives for a few years to learn how to help people.

It just depends on the person is all. And if you don't feel comfortable with one doctor you ask for another, simple as that.

• Brohoof 1

I helped a friend, when his psychiatrist couldn't do it. It was a simple advise, and it didn't require any drug.

The thing is, this person wanted him to find balance between personal life and a harmful enviroment of work.

I told my friend to let go of that which was making him unhappy.

That was about it, and it changed all.

I believe we all have the answer for our problems. And this comes from someone which grew up with very sick people. Mentally ill.

This doesn't mean that psychiatrists are either good or bad. Since human beings come in great varieaty.

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 2

So thanks to some recent things that has happened (me being trans and all) I got to go meet a psychiatrists. From my meetings with him he seems to have all the best intentions which I am sure they all hold. However from my experience and some of my trans friends psychiatrists tend to be rather slow. They either take a long time to understand what your saying or a long time to get required things such as clearance for other items (which will remain unnamed for personal reasons.)

Remember that this is just for transgender psychiatrists not for all of them. ;3

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe that psychiatrists are bad or inauspicious individuals. I have been a pateint to such for many years and they have assisted me with various things. Never did I feel like I was being pressured to admit anything.

I tend to think of them as manipulating.

May I ask why it is you think this way? 

• Brohoof 1

For the most part, it depends on the invividual.  Some need certain kinds of psychiatrists, some need others, some don't need them at all as they're able to find other ways of coping with whatever they may be going through.  I don't think the general psychiatrist is particularly bad as they are there to help people, there's just a lot of different types that handle or manage situations in different ways that may suit the needs of others.  Remember, people are different and need different things.

It's like school.  Some teachers are more strict than others and as while some may hate the more strict ones, they're that way because some individuals need that extra push.  Aside from the obvious case of a psychiatrist abusing their patient, mentally or physically, they're just different people who approach issues differently and for that, I couldn't say if they're particularly good or bad as it's truly in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by AmarisNsane
  • Brohoof 1

One can't sum up all psychiatrists and put them under one, specific label. It's a difficult job, to the point sometimes words You say can affect Your  patient's entire life. It requires enormous amount of empathy. Meds are considered last resort and no good psychiatrist begins helping You with giving thousands of pills right away unless You turn out to suffer from so severe condition it is dangerous for Your health. Sometimes what they do may be considered manipulating, but in the end their goal is to help. That's why they also require 100% trust, if You don't trust therapist and lie to him about anything - it can make him unable to help You. 

But then - there are people who should never be allowed to work in that job. Fortunately I was lucky enough not to encounter those, but please, do not judge whole community on them. What psychiatrists do is a terrible job. It is FAR MORE than just fixing a relationship problems or issues with parents. 

Another thing - are You refering to real psychiatrists? Or psychologists? Those two have different kind of jobs as psychologist tend to help people who aren't even diagnosed with mental illnesses (even I was visiting one at one point of my life and she *did* help me a lot).

• Brohoof 1

May I ask why it is you think this way?

To sum it up

- Every person who asks "How are you, how do you feel? What are you going to do when you get home?"

- It gets uncomfortable

- I barely know this person

It's like school.  Some teachers are more strict than others and as while some may hate the more strict ones

Well i had some teachers who i didnt like "They were usually old people" but its not because they were strict but because of getting too much into my personal room, still today i know some people who have to ask these types of questions. You can be strict without going too personal into a person.

For example "DONT JUMP OVER THE FENCE!"

Easy to understand, its done in a non manipulating behavior.

There's no definite answer to this. Leaving aside the obvious subjectivity of good and bad, some psychiatrists genuinely want to help you, some are in it for the money. Doesn't really mean one is going to be more helpful to you than the other or even helpful at all - maybe even the opposite.

Furthermore, it largely depends on you as a person and obviously the problem you have that makes you seek help (in form of a psychiatrist), some psychiatrists may suit you better or worse, maybe none suits you. 

I've had 3 therapists so far, a woman and two men in that order, and I don't feel like either have really been able to help me. The first was kind and seemed to genuinely want to help me, and she at least managed to help me get rid of panic attacks, but I pretty much ignored most of her advice and didn't open up to her at all - I'm a very passive person and usually let them do all the work, so they have to force me to open up. I went to her for ~1.5 years, but not exactly that frequently. The second one was pretty passive himself, probably trying to wait until I opened up on my own. Didn't exactly work, and I took advantage of that and had some fun with him. Then again, I only went to him for two months, so I didn't really expect anything out of it. The third one I'm still visiting, actually have an appointment in 45 minutes, is pretty much the polar opposite of the previous and claims he has to "poke me with a stick" in order to get a reaction out of me. I can't really say that it works any better. It just makes me more stressed and anxious about it and I'm not exactly opening up to him any more than I usually would. I seriously doubt there is any progress through therapy for me in the near or maybe distant future. Admittedly, that's mostly "my fault" since my problem isn't exactly not knowing what to do, but being too afraid or having other reasons for not doing the things that might help you, so fuck that.

• Brohoof 1

As a child that was in the middle of a custody battle for a good 14 years, I found talking to a third, neutral party to be very beneficial. I was (and still am) too scared to even talk to either of my parents. While friends my age could support me, they can't really give helpful advice or teach me coping skills.

A psychologist isn't just a person you pay to talk to when you're lonely, and they aren't just going to get you to admit things purely to judge you. Their job is to teach you how to cope with things, and they help you build certain skills. Therapy is a thing you learn and graduate from. They are essentially teachers.

It is unfair to lump every single psychiatrist into a single generalization. I find it disappointing that they have been all labeled as "manipulative". Psychiatrists go through many years of training to be qualified for their profession. A good psychiatrist has vast amounts of knowledge on the mind, which allows them to help those with mental instabilities, sometimes in ways that are more effective than by other means. Of course, there are "good" and "bad" practices, as it is with people in other professions. Sometimes you can have negative experiences, either because you felt uncomfortable with a particular psychiatrist, or the methods they suggested did not work. But I would advise against making blanket statements about everyone within an entire profession, as a lot of good has come from the work of psychiatrists.

Edited by Lady Kiriness
  • Brohoof 1

I think you are talking about psychologists?

I see both a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

Both are very nice to me, and helps me to keep my sanity. KEeps me in touch with reality.

all my psychiatrist does is find out which medication is best for me, that's all they do.

• 2 weeks later...

I think psychologists can be a very good thing. The study of psychology and needing to see a psychologist has long been considered negative or derogatory, it seems. But you don't need to be insane to need to see a psychologist, just like how you don't need to be dying to go see the doctor for a cold.

Even just friends attempting to help each other psychologically is sometimes seen as bad; in this very fandom some people are upset when ponies are analyzed psychologically.

It's a real shame that psychology has long been held in a negative light. Fortunately that conception seems to be fading these days.

I think psychologists can be a very good thing. The study of psychology and needing to see a psychologist has long been considered negative or derogatory, it seems. But you don't need to be insane to need to see a psychologist, just like how you don't need to be dying to go see the doctor for a cold.

Even just friends attempting to help each other psychologically is sometimes seen as bad; in this very fandom some people are upset when ponies are analyzed psychologically.

It's a real shame that psychology has long been held in a negative light. Fortunately that conception seems to be fading these days.

And as a psychology student I can attest to that. In fact, with psychology being seen so negatively, there has been many cases where misinformation has been spread and lives have been placed at risk. Also, the term psychologist can be very broad; they don't need to be a person that works in the hospital or even has a medical degree. Some work in businesses, sport teams, schools, or laboratories. 

I have Aspergers myself, which kind of encouraged me to go into this field. I want to start helping other people with mental or neurological disorders, and learn more about the human mind in general. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes, they are good, sometimes.

I don't actively see one anymore, but they have helped me out of many things. Before I saw one, I had a lot of depression and behavioral issues that weren't that good in my interests, and now, I feel really great, without medication. I don't have much to say about them, besides that, though.

Now, psychologists, I also think are good IF they know how you react to certain things and don't prescribe medicines that do have bad reactions. That happened to me, and one medicine I took for a while caused me to develop an uncontrollable nervous tic, most of the time. I'm able to control it when I take a couple natural things though.

• 2 years later...

I've been working at hospital and what I learned is that like all doctors and nurses you would noticed that there two kinds. One who'll all-out help people and  the another who  stop caring and just want to get their work done. 

For me personally I would be more trusting of the opposite gender, I don't know why but I would feel that way, but even then I would have my doubts. They are in their positions for a reason, but that doesn't mean they all are there for the best of intentions.

Psychiatrists cover a broad range of people with varying levels of competency, so I'm not going to make any blanket statements about those in the profession. Psychiatrists, like any doctor, can be exceptional or complete quacks. The book "Brain On Fire" is a fascinating account of how broad the science of psychology can be. I think a psychologist has to be intimately acquainted with the symptoms he or she is diagnosing and not too quick to jump to textbook assumptions. Some approaches to psychology are incredibly antiquated and as such are a danger to the patient, while new breakthroughs shouldn't be discarded just because they present a different approach A patient with mental problems is fragile and extreme care has to be taken with treating them. The best doctor is one who has experienced mental problems firsthand and has overcome them. That's obviously not always the case, but true empathy can be really helpful when it's possible.

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

My Psychiatrist has helped me get on the right track with what meds for my mental deficiencies that I have and for that I'm grateful.  Also, are you referring to Psychiatrists or psychologists?  There is a difference, you know.  Psychiatrists help with medications while psychologists are more of the therapists that you see for therapy(at least that's from my experiences).  Finding a good therapist is hit or miss, some therapists are better for you than others and finding the right one can take years for some.  I understand that it can be hard to feel so vulnerable with a stranger but trust me, they've trained for years to help people, it's part of their job to help you they're not there to judge you.  So both Psychiatrists and psychologists are important for your mental well-being, so I say they're good.

• 3 months later...

Their job is to listen to people's problems without being judgemental jerks and are there to help you. I see them as good. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt