Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do puns make people cringe?

cider float

Far as I can tell the only bad puns are the kinds that are a bit of a stretch to be a pun, as in it's not a bad pun just I don't classify that as a pun. Are puns really that cringey? I find a lot of them hilarious, some of them take a bit of brain to come up on the fly as well.

It's when, where and who's actually there to execute the pun. In that, it can go downhill quick or make an funny lasting impression, it depends really. Some puns are quite clever though and some are atrocious.

To be honest, it's usually a matter of context. A pun can be funny in the right circumstances, but it can often seem very silly in an otherwise serious situation.

Or to put it another way... a dad joke is only a dad joke when it becomes apparent.

(I'm sorry)

• Brohoof 1

Right, as SanityNotIncluded said, depends on the situation. If it's in the wrong place, it can seem silly.

Of course, I rarely use puns because I have a terrible sense of humor.

I don't find any unexpected reaction on puns, therefore there's no outburst of information within myself. Which means no laughter.

I believe humor is based on "unexpectancy" and that which is unknown often relates with fear. The more consciousness in the individual, the wider it's the stream of perception.

Presence of information means absence of fear. So it happens that while I'm in higher states of consciousness, nothing is laughable. Sustained well being.

Also my expression flows cosntantly within silence, which means there's no choking points that might react towards humor. Stress.

I noticed that ego-centric people laughs more often. Since they're driven by the doubt inherent to ego. Fear.

Information flows constantly within myself, rather than in outbursts. No laughter, but well being.

• 3 years later...

I like puns. They say they’re the lowest form of humor but I find them very punny. Not every one of them has to be a home run. Sometimes you can just punt it. I’m just saying that for a play on words they’re really not something to be that worrdied about.

• Brohoof 2