Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

post-31031-0-79344500-1427522297_thumb.png

Sunset Shimmer is in 12th grade

Fluttershy: Maybe it was different at your old school, but at C.H.S., everybody sticks to their own kind. One thing that they do have in common is that they know Sunset Shimmer is gonna rule the school until we graduate.

They are going to graduate at the same time as sunset shimmer thus, they are also in 12th grade.

12th grade is 17-18 years old

Fluttershy is one year older than Pinkie Pie

Fluttershy is 18

Pinkie Pie is 17

The rest of the Mane six are 17-18

From eldest to youngest:

Applejack - 24

Rarity - 23

Fluttershy - 21

Rainbow Dash - 21

Pinkie Pie - 20

Twilight Sparkle - 19

Considering how long the series has gone since season 1, you can probably add 1-2 years to their ages, like so:

Applejack - 26

Rarity - 25

Fluttershy - 23

Rainbow Dash - 23

Pinkie Pie - 22

Twilight Sparkle - 21

These numbers are pretty accurate to their personalities IMHO.

The ponies have archetypes representative of societal roles based on age.

As for physical age I like to think they are several hundred years old due to the unusually long life span of ponies, what with Luna being banished to the moon for a thousand years. As for the non-pony creatures there life spans are variable. The camp pond creature from series one has probably been around since the start of life in Equestria for instance as has Discord.

They are young adults (as Faust herself has said). M.A. Larson has also said in panels that they are 20-ish. All of them seem to be out of school. I think the mane 6 range in age somewhere between between 18-26, although mentally more like 13-21 due to their world being simpler and just how the show itself is structured. It took a while to come up with this but I've been wondering and looking for clues since I first found the show around Christmas '13. Keep in mind that I don't consider Equestria Girls part of the actual show.

img-3616178-1-post-24370-0-69222200-1403

Rarity 24-26- Has a seemingly successful business in a small town recognized by a major celebrity. A business takes some time to get going. She doesn't seem to come from a rich family. She was also an adult (probably late teens) at Sweetie Belle's 5th birthday (5-7 show years ago). There is a much bigger age gap between her and Sweetie Belle than Applejack and Big Mac. She also just seems a little older to me.

Fluttershy 22-23- We know she is around a year older than Pinkie (Gilda Episode)- but attended school/camp with Rainbow Dash but was probably held back a year due to bad flying (she looks bigger than RD and others in the Cutie Mark Chronicles episode)

Applejack 22-24- She pretty much runs the household/farm. Also seems to be more mature. Was already away in Manehatten with relatives when Twilight got accepted into Celestia's school. She also mentioned that she was the last in her class to get a cutie mark.

Pinkie 21-22- Works at Sugarcube Corner and lives in an apartment above it. She's about a year younger than Fluttershy. She is not too far in age from Cheerilee (Pinkie Pride flashback).

Twilight 21-23- Seems younger than Rarity and Applejack.

Rainbow Dash 19-22- Works for the weather team. Isn't the most mature. She attended school/camp with Fluttershy and appeared younger than her. The thing I wonder most about is her upscale house at her age. Inheritance maybe?

CMC 10-12- Based on how they talk/think. Most kids under 10 in real life aren't mentally like the CMC yet.

Spike 10-12- Twilight was about that age back when Spike was born "hatched".

img-3616178-2-post-24370-0-42069600-1403

Derpy, Bon Bon, Lyra, Colegate- 20-33??? Because of how they are used- It leads to too many inconsistencies. For example they are shown as adults before Twilight has her cutie mark, BUT AS FILLIES when Pinkie HAS HERS as a filly. THE MANE 6 ALL GOT THEIRS AT THE SAME TIME.

Cheerilee 24-28- Was shown in Rarity's class and is now a teacher, which needs some additional education.

Big Mac 24-27- He's a couple years older than Applejack based on Cutie Mark Chronicles.

Cadence & Shining Armor Late 20's- Early 30's

Discord, Celestia, & Luna 1000+?!?! - Who the hell knows- :lol:

What makes this hard are inconsistencies between the Cutie Mark Chronicles, Pinkie Pride episodes, and other flashbacks in later episodes.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

Angelbaby has confirmed that she is 18+.  I don't give a damn what Faust said. x3  Though I also don't want to go to Tartarus. O_O

post-24370-0-39499800-1427565417_thumb.png

JK ^_^ - but she did kinda have "a little" to do with the show's setup and all. ;)

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

While they don't always act like archetypical adults, based on the facts that several of them are now well into their careers and none of them are in school, I'm inclined to believe that the mane six are all somewhere in their mid-20s, at least if we're counting by human lifespans. There's also "The Cart Before the Ponies," which explicitly refers to Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash as "grown ups," so I'm gonna take that as validation. 

On 3/27/2015 at 11:42 AM, Buck Testa said:

Absolutely in their twenties, Hasbro would not show teens drinking alcohol even if they are ponies.

medium.png

I was gonna claim that's not alcohol, but... it totally is. 

Given the events of the EQG films and Lauren Faust's statement (when she was still involved with the show) that the mane 6 have the maturity between 12 and 18 year olds, which as been best shown through episodes like Look Before You Sleep, and Pinkie Pie's character in general, I would say that in human ages they would be around 17-19 years old.

Given the inclusion of cutie marks in the universe the show takes place in, and ponies learning what they want to do with the rest of their lives and what they are actually good at, seems like something that would make the Equestrain Education system significantly different than our own.

Plus the show itself hasn't really hinted at Middle Schools, High Schools, or Colleges existing in Equestra.  I mean sure there is that comic with Shining Armor and Cadence in high school, however the comics aren't really considered canon, so it doesn't really impact anything.

Because of this, I am pretty sure ponies are able to enter the work field and become legal adults at an earlier age than we do.

(edited)

Season 1

• Fluttershy - 22 jaar
  • Rarity - 22 jaar
  • Apple Jack - 21 jaar
  • Rainbow Dash - 20 jaar
  • Pinkie Pie - 20 jaar
  • Twilight - 19 jaar

Season 7 (3,5 years later)

• Fluttershy - 26 jaar
  • Rarity - 25 jaar
  • Apple Jack - 24 jaar
  • Rainbow Dash - 23 jaar
  • Pinkie Pie - 23 jaar
  • Twilight - 23 jaar

Edit: jaar = Year

Edited by Hierok
Used Dutch

Season 1 predictions

Ratity: 22

Appkejack: 21

Rainbow Dash: 20

Fluttershy: 20

Pinkie Pie: 19

Twilight Sparkle: 17

Season 7 predictions

Rarity: 26

Applejack: 25

Rainbow Dash: 24

Fluttershy: 24

Pinkie Pie: 23

Twilight Sparkle: 21

• Brohoof 1

The Mane6 are definitely young adults. I don't know how anyone could dispute this fact. CMC are probably around 12-13 at this point (honestly hoping for them to change their body types a bit, their mental capacity and voices seen extremely out of place in their traditional filly form factor bodies :o They should get the adolescent body type seen in Where the Apple Lies (on Applejack).

Spike is like 10-ish (what a snarky, fucking 10 yr old xD

(edited)

On 8 april 2017 at 6:01 PM, K.Rool Addict said:

The Mane6 are definitely young adults. I don't know how anyone could dispute this fact. CMC are probably around 12-13 at this point (honestly hoping for them to change their body types a bit, their mental capacity and voices seen extremely out of place in their traditional filly form factor bodies :o They should get the adolescent body type seen in Where the Apple Lies (on Applejack).

Spike is like 10-ish (what a snarky, fucking 10 yr old xD

I do think Spike is the same age, if not older, as the CMC. I think is between 12 and 14.

(200)

Edited by Hierok
Butterfly :D

10 minutes ago, Hierok said:

I do think Spike is the same age, if not older, as the CMC. I think is between 12 and 14.

Lol "Butterfly" here have a congratulatory ballad in your honor~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xAueTwJFV4

As for Spike, he always seemed more mentally advanced than the CMC early on, that is for sure. But I assumed it was more a result of living with Twilight all his life instead of his actual physiological age. Twilight & co. would constantly refer to him as a "baby" dragon, yet he never really seemed to take much offense as far as I can remember. I can't imagine young adult ponies calling someone the same age as the CMC a "baby".  :o 

• Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Given the events of the EQG films and Lauren Faust's statement (when she was still involved with the show) that the mane 6 have the maturity between 12 and 18 year olds, which as been best shown through episodes like Look Before You Sleep, and Pinkie Pie's character in general, I would say that in human ages they would be around 17-19 years old.

Given the inclusion of cutie marks in the universe the show takes place in, and ponies learning what they want to do with the rest of their lives and what they are actually good at, seems like something that would make the Equestrain Education system significantly different than our own.

Plus the show itself hasn't really hinted at Middle Schools, High Schools, or Colleges existing in Equestra.  I mean sure there is that comic with Shining Armor and Cadence in high school, however the comics aren't really considered canon, so it doesn't really impact anything.

Because of this, I am pretty sure ponies are able to enter the work field and become legal adults at an earlier age than we do.

I think there's enough other reasons behind public schooling that Equestria would still have high schools. Helps to have an educated populace. 

We still don't know the timeline of the show. I believe they haven't changed their age much, they just became more mature and they learned from their past mistakes.(Also, character development) (I'll mention that age doesn't equal maturity). 

I'll assume that they're between 18-25. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I think there's enough other reasons behind public schooling that Equestria would still have high schools. Helps to have an educated populace. 

Episodes like Princess Spike beg to differ about Equestria having an educated populace.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Lol "Butterfly" here have a congratulatory ballad in your honor~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xAueTwJFV4

As for Spike, he always seemed more mentally advanced than the CMC early on, that is for sure. But I assumed it was more a result of living with Twilight all his life instead of his actual physiological age. Twilight & co. would constantly refer to him as a "baby" dragon, yet he never really seemed to take much offense as far as I can remember. I can't imagine young adult ponies calling someone the same age as the CMC a "baby".  :o 

Thanks! :pinkie: Loved the song.

That is a good reason, but I think, if he was ten,  he couldn't handle the responsibilities properly. 

(edited)
22 hours ago, Hierok said:

I'd project him a lot older than that, chronologically speaking anyway. 

Twilight was particularly young when she hatched him, i'd say maybe 7-8 years at the MOST, somewhere around Magic Kindergarten that's for sure. I also place the current day mane six in their mid twenties, including Twilight herself, due to the fact they all have long standing careers, political positions, and drink alcohol like I've previously referenced in other posts.

If people wish to counter this by citing Equestria Girls: The Eqg versions of them are younger than them as its an alternate reality, and unless people want to tell me that human Principle Celestia is 1000+ years old then I think there is a solid case to be made that their ages do not coincide with one another. 

Which would mean, following this line of reasoning, that Spike is easily 18 years old chronologically speaking. He'd still be a "baby" by dragon standards, but chronologically speaking he's practically an adult. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

I'd project him a lot older than that, chronologically speaking anyway. 

Twilight was particularly young when she hatched him, i'd say maybe 7-8 years at the MOST, somewhere around Magic Kindergarten that's for sure. I also place the current day mane six in their mid twenties, including Twilight herself, due to the fact they all have long standing careers, political positions, and drink alcohol like I've previously referenced in other posts.

If people wish to counter this by citing Equestria Girls: The Eqg versions of them are younger than them as its an alternate reality, and unless people want to tell me that human Principle Celestia is 1000+ years old then I think there is a solid case to be made that their ages do not coincide with one another. 

Which would mean, following this line of reasoning, that Spike is easily 18 years old chronologically speaking. He'd still be a "baby" by dragon standards, but chronologically speaking he's practically an adult. 

You musn't look to eqg. Maybe humans age around the millions of years. We don't know.

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

You musn't look to eqg. Maybe humans age around the millions of years. We don't know.

If you even want to call those things humans anyway lol. Looks like what would happen if the Bratz Dolls mated with the Cast of Doug.

2AE0E1B200000578-3176104-image-a-2_14380image.jpgmy_little_pony_equestria_girls_art.jpgS
but yeah, like I said, Spike is definitely around 18. 

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

If you even want to call those things humans anyway lol. Looks like what would happen if the Bratz Dolls mated with the Cast of Doug.

2AE0E1B200000578-3176104-image-a-2_14380image.jpgmy_little_pony_equestria_girls_art.jpgS
but yeah, like I said, Spike is definitely around 18. 

Yes. :lol: Too much leg. Legend of Everfree is a little bit better.