Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

I believe Twi is 17 Rarity, Pinkie, and Dash = 18 and Apple and Flutters are 19.

I saw it in a youtube vid by RLyosie I think.

sounds about right. and cmc must be like, 12? maybe 14?

Based on speculation, I'd say they are all around their late teens to early twenties.  We know that Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie (Griffin Brush-off) and they all got their cutie marks at the same time which means some got theirs at an older age. Apple Jack said that she was the last in her class to get hers (call of the cutie) so I think Apple Jack is one of the oldest. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were at flight school together which means their ages are very close if not the same (Cutie mark Chronicles).You can't get a good sense of what season it is in Pinkie Pride so Rainbow's birthday isn't clear and Twilight's isn't either (Suited for Success) but since there's a garden party on the same day, I'd say it's around May-Juneish. If there were any birthdays before then, they weren't aired as episodes. They do have to be old enough to live on their own so that rules out basically anything below 16. I'm sure I'm missing some evidence but my guess for the order if their ages would be: 

Apple Jack > Rarity > Fluttershy > Rainbow Dash* > Pinkie Pie > Twilight

*I think Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash are the same age.

I feel like saying old enough, but that jokes older than the ponies.
There are 6 of them, 4 hoofs each. 6 x 4 is 24. They are all 24 but just born on different days in that year.

I'm not sure if you're serious with this theory but it is made clear that they're not all the same age. I think it would hover somewhere around 24 but it is said that Pinkie Pie is a year younger than Fluttershy so they can't all be the same age. I'd continue explaining but the whole explanation is a post or two above this one so I really don't want to write it again.

• Brohoof 1

#1FluttershyFan 

I mostly agree w you.  The only difference is that in Griffon the Brush Off, Dash says she met Gilda at flight camp.  Since Flutteshy doesn't seem to know Gilda, this means Dash must have been to camp at least once when F was not there.  This implies that Fluttershy is older & graduated a year or 2 ahead of D.  I think Dash & Pinkie are the same age (or within a year or so (just a hunch))

Or, maybe, after almost falling to her death, she quit going to flight camp (God knows I'd never go back)

Through my observation Rainbow Dash is at least 21 years old. That is because there was 21 candles on her cake at her birthday party. Clear, undeniable proof.

Yes, but we could see only one side of the cake...

Fluttershy and rainbow dash have to be have a difference of age of a couple days to a few months. They're in the same class aren't they, you're not really gonna have like a 8 year old and a 4 year old in the same class. So if rainbow dash is 21 fluttershy is either 20 21 or 22.

And they were all young at the same time, we know this because of the episode with the sonic rainboom flashback. I'd say they all have about a 4 year difference in age. So they're all about 20 to 24 for example. Though they're probably a bit older than that.

• 1 month later...

Due to some research that this thread has inspired me to do, I have found what I believe to be the relative ages of the 'Mane' Six plus Granny Smith. Twilight is the youngest because in the episode, "Cutie Mark Chronicles" she was just enrolled into magic school when the others were in school or working. In the same episode it can be assumed that Fluttershy is older than Rainbow Dash due to how much bigger she. We also know that Fluttershy claims to be one year older than Pinkie Pie, who we can assume to be older than most of the others because she lives with, foalsits for, and works for the cake family. Rarity is older than Pinkie Pie because when she got her cutie mark she was in charge of using sharp objects to make dresses, and owns her own business. Applejack is assumed to be the oldest because at the same time as the others were just starting to learn, she is trusted to go off on her own away from home. Finally, and just for fun we know that Granny Smith is several centuries old. She was one of the founding members of Ponyville, and the Winter Wrap-Up in Ponyville has occurred for centuries. For the question of if horse years were the same as human years we could use a ratio to find that every human year is about 2 2/3 years in horse age. However, we can assume that in Equestria human years are equal to horse years based off of Princess Cadence saying that the reception that Pinkie Pie had planned would be perfect for a 6 year olds birthday party. In the end this is all open for interpretation though.

• Brohoof 1

What we know:

Pinkie < Fluttershy

Logicially: Pinkie < Rainbow Dash

Rarity and Applejack were both late while Rainbow Dash was early

So

Rarity > Rainbow Dash

Applejack > Rainbow Dash

Applejack said she was the last, so...

Applejack > Rarity

SO far...

Applejack Rarity (Rainbow or Fluttershy) Pinkie Pie 

Since Rainbow was the first, that would put Rainbow as < Fluttershy

So....

Applejack > Rarity > Fluttershy > Rainbow Dash > Pinkie Pie

Where does Twilight Sparkle fit in?

Twilight went to school during that time, and she taking an exam to enroll in a special school. It seems like she had previous skills with school. 

Definately older than Pinkie Pie

I would put her older than Rainbow and Fluttershy too.

She seems younger than Rarity though.

Now 

Applejack: 24

Rarity: 23

Twilight: 22

Fluttershy: 21

Rainbow Dash: 21

Pinkie Pie: 20

This is mostly just guessing.

I'm sure i've argued against the point I am about to make in the past, but regarding body sizes, everyone is different. I dated a girl in highschool who was a bean pole but was 15. I was 6'0 and so was she, and had long skinny arms and legs and little/no breasts. Her friend on the other hand was the same age and grade as her but had a shorter build and was more muscular/developed. They were the same age relatively. So fluttershy being tall like that is not necessarily an indicator of her being older. 

In my opinion (I refuse to use words like head canon, ship, etc), applejack and rarity are the oldest since they seem to fall into relationships with adult men and have jobs and take care of family. Fluttershy is the most independent of them all and takes care of hundreds of animals and is a year older than pinkie so she would be next. Rainbow dash, pinkie, and twilight all seem to be about the same age, with twilight being a little more mature than the other two. So if I had to put a list down, I would say it goes applejack/rarity>fluttershy>twilight>pinkie>rainbow dash.

i would say around 19s? im not sure exactly but they seem around that age.

from what I know, fluttershy is older than pinkie pie, she said so in an episode...

well,in Equestria Girls they are in high school(even the CMC) so would venture to say that they are close to 17,I dunno :/

Not to mention Cheerilee, whose human counterpart is older than the human6, while the pony one is around the same age as the mane6, as seen in flashbacks in Cutie Mark Chronicles, and Pinkie Pride 

Well, we know Flutters is older than Pinkie, and she was bigger than the rest in the Cutie Mark Chronicles, but that doesn't necessarily means she's older than the others, as people don't have growth spurts at the same age

I'd say they range from 17 to 23, with Pinkie, Twilight and Dash the younger half, and Rarity, Fluttershy, and Applejack the older half 

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

Here's what I can come up with some ponies:

Mane 6: Around 16-20 years

CMC: Around 6-10 years

Celestia: At least 1500 years

Luna: At least 1495 years

Bic Mac, Cheerilee, Cadance, Shining: Around 26-32

Those are the only ones that come to mind.

Edited by TheJLeeTeam

I went over this in an earlier post.  It depends on "How long ago were the events in Episode 23, The Cutie Mark Chronicles" ?  If you assume "About 10 years", then at the time of the pilot

Spike 10 (about the age of the CMCs)

Twilight 15 or 16 (applying to school at the time)

Dash 17 (18 when she applied to Woderbolt's training)

Pinkie ?

Fluttershy a year older (give or take) than Pinkie & older than Dash (Dash said she was 1st to get cutie mark), but not more than a few years older than Dash (they were in flight camp together)

Rarity 20ish (still in school 10 years previously.  Old enough to have business but not old enough to have had much success)

AJ 25.  (If you assume she was about 1 year old in baby pictures in Apple Family Reunion & events in 1st 3 Seasons take place over 1 year)

Miss Cheerilee  24 at most (seems to have been in Summer Theater w Rarity, but might be a little older than her.  Just starting as school teacher) (& gets Diamond Tiara & the CMCs 1st crack out of the box -tough break!)

Technically, Twilight was probably got her Cutie Mark 1-2 years before Dash did, but she wasn't in D's class & perhaps they haven't compared notes.

Edited by sweetolebob18