Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

• 2 weeks later...

Okay well there have been numerous discussions on the mane 6's ages and I think that I want to put my thoughts on this matter out there. Well a lot of people have said that they are in there mid teens and that pony society is different to normal society, and while there is no evidence to disprove that theory, I think its a little far fetched. People who believe this theory believe that pony's aged 15-30 all look the same and that's why Cheerilee looks the same as the mane 6 as well as there being no teenagers. But I think that its much more likely that they are both adults, although I do support the 15-30 theory as there are no teenagers. Also Lauren Faust has said they are all young adults.

The reason why I think this is because of their personality's and there jobs, lets break it down.

Twilight Sparkle: A student of Celestia's yes, but is easily college age because she has a job and a house, and is the legal guardian of Spike. In my book that puts her about 20.

Rainbow Dash: Rainbow one of the youngest of the group because of the fact that she entered the young flyers competition and is still aiming for goals she will achieve when she is older. However she has her own house, and lets say the pony age of adulthood is 20. I think that she is about 18, having her own property and stuff. Yes she does have a job but people aged 16-18 in the real world can easily get jobs.

Apple Jack: EASILY the oldest of the group, not only does she act very maturely and adult like, but she also plays a large role in the family business and unlike Twilight that raises Spike kind of more like an assistant, as he behaves very much like an adult. Apple Jack is officially the parent like figure, absolute guardian, and raiser of Apple Bloom along with Big Mac. That puts her at about 28 I believe.

Rarity: Rarity has a similar role as Apple Jack, having a full flown business and works hard to a deadline with great stress. Also I don't get why people believe these guys are teenagers because Rarity behaves and fits in well with aristocratic adults, so she is very much not a teenager; about 28 too in my books.

Pinkie Pie: Has a similar role as Rainbow and is about the same age, I recon about 18 because if she was older than Rainbow, Rainbow wouldn't serve as the leader to her a lot of the time.

Fluttershy: Difficult to tell, but I am going to say about 22.

Edited by Arctofire
  • Brohoof 2

I think you should put into account that Fluttershy once mentioned that she was 1 year older than Pinkie.

Really? When did this happen? :o

Edit: oh wait yeah I remember this now. Couldn't tell you what episode though :P

Edited by LZRD WZRD

Pinkie Pie: Has a similar role as Rainbow and is about the same age, I recon about 18 because if she was older than Rainbow, Rainbow wouldn't serve as the leader to her a lot of the time.

Fluttershy: Difficult to tell, but I am going to say about 22.

I'm agreeing with you for the most part, but check this video.

By your scale, Fluttershy should be 19. Which I think works.

@@Arctofire, a thread exists which discusses the age of the ponies, therefore I have merged yours with the pre-existing one. Please use the search function to avoid posting duplicate threads. :)

• 2 weeks later...

seriously...

shouldn't it be obvious that pinkie pie is 17, Flutter Shy is 18 and the rest of the mane 6 are 17-18, except maybe twilight sparkle, I think she just skipped a few grades, but I would need more information.

• 1 month later...

There is one thing that I know of in the show that helps us pin down the Mane Six's ages, and it came in a small exchange between Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie Pie: 'Don't worry Fluttershy, aunt Pinkie is here!' (In 's not "s because I forgot exact quote)

Fluttershy: "I'm a year older than you..."

This is straight from the horse's mouth (pun intended), so we've got to factor that into our figuring. That's why I'm pretty much sticking with my previous guess, but I'm increasing ages a touch and the order is also going to be slightly changed (As of now I'm watching S4 so I feel like I have a better handle on this; took a break to play games & stuff).

Previous:
================
Rarity: 18
Twilight: ~16-17
AJ at ~15
Fluttershy and Rainbow: 13 (After all they attended Cloudsdale together)

Pinkie: 12.

New: (Little more vague; I'm already no good w/ ages and the newer episodes made me doubt myself)

================

Rarity: 17-19
AJ: ~15-18
Twilight: ~14-17
Fluttershy and Rainbow: ~13-16

Pinkie: ~12-15

So yeah. If you think my previous idea was better, please explain why as I desperately want to pin their ages down more accurately.
Also I can't help but think that Princess Celestia's ~20,000 - 24,000 years old and her sister Princess Luna is 17,000 - 21,000 years old, and that they age at the rate of 1,000 years = 1 year (So basically 20-24 and 17-21 respectively). Again, I'd love feedback here

Edited by DriftKing16

I've always thought 18-22, somewhere in there.  There's no way teenagers would own their own businesses, fill orders for big clients, take command of all of flipping Equestria if the other princesses are AFK, etc.

Here's a related question:  is Twilight immortal now?  I would assue not, and not Cadence, either.  But they've never explained why the sisters are immortal.  At least, not on the show.  (I never read their journal.)  Could Celestia make Twi immortal at some point?  I've always figured it's just a Jacob Lost thing.  "Here, drink this.  Now you're like me."

• Brohoof 1

I've always thought 18-22, somewhere in there.  There's no way teenagers would own their own businesses, fill orders for big clients, take command of all of flipping Equestria if the other princesses are AFK, etc.

Here's a related question:  is Twilight immortal now?  I would assue not, and not Cadence, either.  But they've never explained why the sisters are immortal.  At least, not on the show.  (I never read their journal.)  Could Celestia make Twi immortal at some point?  I've always figured it's just a Jacob Lost thing.  "Here, drink this.  Now you're like me."

That's only assuming that the royal sisters are immortal; which the Journal implies is not the case. According to that they only age at a MUCH slower rate than the other ponies.

• Brohoof 1

it would be nice if they were in their early 20's wonder how old the cmc's are

The only thing we know is what Sweetie Belle looked like when she was 5 (For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils).

I think they're ~10 now.

Edited by Blobulle

• 1 month later...

The only direct evidence is that in one of the episodes Fluttershy tells Pinkie "I am a year older than you" (ICR which one).  However, some inferences can be made.

In Cutie Mark Chronicles, Twilight is applying for school (& is 6?), AJ seems to be out of school (& is what, 12? (6th grade) or 14? (8th grade) She doesn't look old enough to have graduated High School).  The others are still in school & in between in age.

Given Dash's lifelong dream of being a Wonderbolt, Wonderbolt Academy probably takes place shortly after her 18th birthday.  Thus she is 17 in the pilot.  Pinkie's Pride, Dash says she moved to Ponyville on her birthday.  The cake shows 21 candles.  19 for age, 2 for moving anniversary.  (Yes there should be 5 or 6 unseen candles.  I'm assuming artistic license over strict accuracy)

In Apple Family Reunion, they show a baby picture of AJ.  The reunions are 100 months apart (well, they probably fudge a bit if planting or harvest interferes).  If you assume it was 3 reunions back, 300 moons = 25 years.  Thus AJ was about 26 at that time & probably 25 in the pilot. 

It is difficult to answer "exactly how long ago did the events in Cutie Mark Chronicles take place?"  I'm going with "around 10 years".  This makes AJ 15 at that time & if you assume the Ponyville school was 1st to 8th grade, then she would have been out of school at that time but still not fully grown.  She says she was the last in her class to get a Cutie Mark (Don't remind Apple Bloom, the idea of having to wait that long would probably kill her)

This makes Twilight 15 or 16 during the pilot, Spike 10 years old, Dash 7 years old when she was the 1st in her class to get her Cutie Mark & the others between 17 & 24 years old during episode 1 (if you assume the EQ school system only goes to 8th grade (as most US citizens did as late as WWII))

This is why Rarity could be in school w Miss Cheerilee & own a business & Cheerilee is a teacher now

Fluttershy was in camp with Dash.  IMO, F is a year or 2 older than D.  Some of the other ponies already had cutie marks.  If D was 1st in her class, they must have been older, so F could also have been older  This is why D knew Gilda from flight camp & F didn't seem to -they met at a later camp.

So, to summarize their ages in Episode 1 (add 2 years for current age)

Spike 10

Twilight 15 or 16

Dash 17

Pinkie ?

Fluttershy 18 or 19? 1 yr older than P, probably older than D but not too old to be in flight camp w her.

Rarity 20ish?  Old enough to own her own business, too young to be a big success, not more than 10 years out of school

AJ 25

Edited by sweetolebob18
  • Brohoof 2

I feel like saying old enough, but that jokes older than the ponies.

There are 6 of them, 4 hoofs each. 6 x 4 is 24. They are all 24 but just born on different days in that year.

Edited by Brechard