Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm not sure why people are freaking out over the lack of trailer

Mr. Kilgrave

Hasbro said that promotions will start on July 30th. What they mean is worldwide advertisements, not the first trailer (as Horse News wants people to believe). This is common timing for any animated movie. Heck, Disney advertises their first images and characters far later than Hasbro already did last month.

Hasbro said that promotions will start on July 30th. What they mean is worldwide advertisements, not the first trailer (as Horse News wants people to believe).

First I've heard about this. I'm afraid I don't understand, how is it different from when the trailer will release?

A movie trailer will become available when Hasbro feels the time is right to release one. I'd say it's still a little too early given we still have about eight months to go and the animators are most likely still working on the animation meaning that what they have may not be the final version. I think Hasbro want to wait until most of the work is done before revealing anything.

• Brohoof 2

Given how much information we got of characters from the movie before and during the toy Fair, I felt like it would have been a good time to release the first teaser, and I was a little disappointed when that didn't happen.

(edited)

what movie has anyone ever known to have a trailer a whopping eight months before its release? Name one movie. Just one. 

Star Wars: Episode VII. The teaser was 13 months before the movie, and the following trailer was just barely under 8.

Edited by immblueversion

People are just worried that hasbro and lion's gate aren't giving this movie enough attention to make it a success is all; this is a BIG thing for MLP after all, the first movie since almost 30 years ago, and the first "big" stepping out into the mainstream public's eye. People are hoping for it to be a huge success for the continued success of the brand and its growth, with possible new movies coming out or even more stuff aimed at adults (Like the fan series) if it manages to hit the adult audience like movies like frozen and zootopia did.

If hasbro or lion's gate doesn't give it sufficient advertising focus however, people are worried that it'll flop and crush all these hopes.

• Brohoof 1

People are just worried that hasbro and lion's gate aren't giving this movie enough attention to make it a success is all; this is a BIG thing for MLP after all, the first movie since almost 30 years ago, and the first "big" stepping out into the mainstream public's eye. People are hoping for it to be a huge success for the continued success of the brand and its growth, with possible new movies coming out or even more stuff aimed at adults (Like the fan series) if it manages to hit the adult audience like movies like frozen and zootopia did.

If hasbro or lion's gate doesn't give it sufficient advertising focus however, people are worried that it'll flop and crush all these hopes.

Well technically the first Equestria Girls movie was the first MLP based movie in almost thirty years, but I get that the 2017 film is an actual wide release and a completely different ball game.

Right now I am in kind of a weird position, I don't want the movie to be a bomb like the PPG movie, but than again, if the movie makes enough money and becomes super successful, I am afraid that MLP FIM will become the next Spongebob.

If they market it the right way then people can't be disappointed I suppose, because it doesn't defy their expectations, so they can't criticize it as much. Then again DeadPool had the opposite strategy for that, and tried marketing itself also as a romance movie.

• Brohoof 1

Well technically the first Equestria Girls movie was the first MLP based movie in almost thirty years, but I get that the 2017 film is an actual wide release and a completely different ball game.

Right now I am in kind of a weird position, I don't want the movie to be a bomb like the PPG movie, but than again, if the movie makes enough money and becomes super successful, I am afraid that MLP FIM will become the next Spongebob.

The PPG movie didn't bomb because it still made back the difference of its budget; it just wasn't a whole lot, which is what made it a box office failure. And even if the MLP movie meets the same end, this is still a merchandise-heavy franchise. From my understanding, the toy sales will keep it going.

• Brohoof 1

I'm personally not too worried about the lack of a trailer, but I do want to know the tone of the film and whether it will be a grand adventure and not just a shill marketing tool that's empty and lifeless. Sure, trailers have lied to cinemagoers before, but it would put my mind at ease to know what direction they have lined up for it.

Hasbro said that promotions will start on July 30th. What they mean is worldwide advertisements, not the first trailer (as Horse News wants people to believe). This is common timing for any animated movie. Heck, Disney advertises their first images and characters far later than Hasbro already did last month.

You have a good point, sir.

68471019.jpg

I think people misunderstand the hype cycle.

the goal is for hype to peak at the point where it is possible to purchase the product.  

that is best for the content provider, because more people buy the product, and it is bets for the consumer, because their appatite is satiated in a satisfying way.

if you start the hype cycle too early, you risk:

1) an unsustainable hype marathon that peters out

2) peaking hype well before the release, and starts to decline before it comes out.

Pokemon Sun/Moon performed ADMIRABLY in this sphere.

1) it dripped a few things out, but didn't give many details for a long time

2) then, when the release was close enough, they started a slew of videos

3) each new video was more impressive than the last.

4) they saved some of the most important/exciting information for the last couple of days

5) and then it released!

people that were pissed that we didn't know the mechanics 2 months out, or who complained for WEEKS that we didn't know the z-moves of the starters yet had completely missed the point.  It can't give away it's best stuff so far away.

in short, we need to be patient, and trust that we are in good hands, and that the hype is going to come in a way that makes our experience better.  one of the reasons spoilers are so harmful is that they can peak hype early, and actually cause people to enjoy the product less.  sure, at the moment, they are amazing and exciting, but they hurt the overall experience.  

Imagine if the next 2.5 hour star wars movie peaked at 1 hour in, and then just explained the details to you for the last 1.5 hours.  that first hour would be fantastic, but it would not be a satisfying experience, and we would all be worse for it.

In my opinion the teaser should have been in front of Moana or Sing since they were musical animated hits so they fit what the target demographic for the film is supposed to be. The film should attract the widest audience possible and seem like a major motion picture and not something like Ratchet and Clank. I don't know in front of what film Hasbro is planning to put the teaser now when the rest of the animated an kid friendly films this spring seem weak.

If they market it the right way then people can't be disappointed I suppose, because it doesn't defy their expectations, so they can't criticize it as much. Then again DeadPool had the opposite strategy for that, and tried marketing itself also as a romance movie.

What? How could that possibly be a romance. That makes no sense.

Advertising isnt free, unless its being advertised somewhere by someone with the rights to it. Some movie trailers on a lower budget its common that you only start getting trailers within a month, to 6 weeks of the movie. Multiple months of advertising, the upcoming toy commercials, and McDonalds toys that will probably run, alongside the movie trailers and commercials, I am willing to bet the budget on this movie is pretty good. It is like said above, a big transition, this is going to bring MLP and indirectly the brony fandom to the very mainstream public eye... I think they are anticipating success, probably why we hear about a alleged season 8 of the show so early..

In my opinion the teaser should have been in front of Moana or Sing since they were musical animated hits so they fit what the target demographic for the film is supposed to be. The film should attract the widest audience possible and seem like a major motion picture and not something like Ratchet and Clank. I don't know in front of what film Hasbro is planning to put the teaser now when the rest of the animated an kid friendly films this spring seem weak.

This summer has some major animated films, including Cars 3 and Despicable Me 3.

This summer has some major animated films, including Cars 3 and Despicable Me 3.

The main/final trailer may work for those dates. But I'm predicting the first trailer/teaser will drop with springtime movies like The Boss Baby and Smurfs: The Lost Village. There's also a safe bet the Season 7 premiere will air a sneak peek.

The film should attract the widest audience possible and seem like a major motion picture

We can hope!  I want more people to love the show and find it through this outlet.

There should be a very short teaser trailer, with atmospheric buildup to the logo for the movie. Maybe show some beautiful vistas with the ponies just barely in view. Something artistic, understated, and alluring~

Well, in my defense, this is my first movie which I'm actually pending, so I'm not exactly acknowledged on when trailers start showing :please: