Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Code Of Ethics Do You Live By?

Twiggy

Most everyone has a code of ethics that they live by. Some live by the teachings of Jesus or other religious figures, some simply live by the Golden Rule (do unto others...), and some even make up their own, like Benjamin Franklin did.

I try to live my life in accordance with the Nine Noble Virtues.

Courage - I suffer no evil to go unremedied, and I fight against the enemies of my family, folk, and faith.
Truth - I seek the truth and defend it from those who do not honor it. I speak true words or stand in silence.
Honor - I stand by my oaths and honor my ancestors by keeping my name pure among the folk.
Fidelity - I stand by and support my kindred regardless of obstacles. I am true to my family and folk.
Discipline - I do what is right and necessary of my own accord without bribe or threat.
Hospitality - I open hearth and hand in good faith, extending what I can to those I find cause to welcome.
Self-Reliance - I learn skills and grow strong so that I may make my way in the world and be neither a slave nor a burden to anyone.
Industriousness - I take pride and find joy in labor. I prove my worth through my efforts.
Perseverance - I press on against all odds until my goal is met, victory is achieved, and I have done all that I am able to do.

They are based on virtues found in historical Norse paganism, gleaned from various sources including the Poetic Edda (particularly the Hávamál and the Sigrdrífumál).

It's what I find works best for me. What about you all? What is your code of ethics?

Edited by Twiggy
Image was too fuzzy. Typed it out.
  • Brohoof 6

Isn't "do unto others as you would want done to you" basically the commandment found in the Bible to "love your neighbor as yourself" (treat them as you would want to be treated)? 

• Brohoof 3

I looked at the downfalls of every shitty adult in my childhood and decided to not follow in their footsteps :P

Essentially:

Don't let everyday struggles distract you from your goals or dreams,

Know what your priorities are and don't neglect them,

The more productive you are, the better off you'll be,

And don't be judgemental without expecting some sort of opposing force.

• Brohoof 1

First and foremost, "do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt others".

I'll also always be there for people I respect and try to help them in any way I can. Hurt the ones I love and you die.

Don't be against anything unless you know what you're talking about.

A harsh truth is preferable to a comfortable lie.

That's where the noble ones end. My only other 'code' is "do whatever works out in your favor". If it suits my interests to lie, I will lie. If it suits my interests to deceive, I will deceive. I am ultimately a selfish person and I have long since accepted that.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Isn't "do unto others as you would want done to you" basically the commandment found in the Bible to "love your neighbor as yourself" (treat them as you would want to be treated)? 

like this one too. even not being very religious I find this rule the most appropriate in everyday life. if everyone treated other as they want to be treated the world would have been such a better place

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Truth over feelings. 
Be good to people, but understand when they don't deserve it.
Never break promises, until you absolutely can't control it. 
Stay loyal to those who you have promised your loyalty.
Secrets to the grave.
Until it hurts innocent, it's not your business.
Do the work that was given to you, no more, no less. 
Follow law.

Not 100% sure if everything goes under ethics. and there is not everything.

Note: Things like not deserving and innocent are not black and white, and that's why I wont discuss them here. 

• Brohoof 1

I live by no code, for a list of rules lacks the flexibility to deal with the complexity of life. Now, they are definitely principles I strive towards, like general well being for all, but a code is a method for reaching that goal, not the goal itself. 

My state of mind, and perception, it shifts rapidly and often. No concept to delimit my person into a singular mindset. Unpredictable is what I mean.

Different beliefs taught me how thought shapes reality. How ideas work. How the unknown molds undefined perception into cultural interpretations of life.

I'm looking for something, it has no name nor subject. It doesn't exist, yet it's everywhere, and everything. But the mere act of being, has changed its innermost substance.

In doing so, my conscious extrapolates all sorts of frequencies, regardless of origin.

This allows me peek into the light, as if seen through a prism. Each color, a culture, an specimen, an ethnicity, a belief, and idea of that which is enlightened in our field of perception. Of that which is ultimately us.

This is why I came into this world, to witness the many facets of truth.

As any other observer, I don't have any of my own. For it would it only narrow my intake of all that is, reality.

Ethics are a fickle thing, but I tend to go by some personal rules:

Be Honest (with yourself and others)

Never Assume anything

Follow the law

Be friendly

Stand up for yourself and others

Never let my emotions contradict facts..

Discover what works and what doesn't.

Everything that comes after simply builds on that.

Be adventurous. You'll want to expose yourself to new experiences and observe situations different from what you've seen before.
Be observant, be attentive, be skeptical. You'll want to take in as much of the information around you as you can and make sense of them using sound logic. These are all means to that end which was stated first and foremost.
The greatest sin here is to not learn from mistakes.

Where could this possibly take me? That is waiting to be discovered :smug:

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

3. When in another’s lair, show them respect or else do not go there.

4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
  6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.

7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

9. Do not harm little children.

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy them.

The 11 Satanic rules of the Earth. Personally, I don't follow #7 since I don't believe in magic. #11 is my favorite though.

5 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

"Don't be a dick." That's really all there is to it

Damn it! I was going to post the same thing. 

It is one of my main tenets I live by. I have several. Seeing as some have already stretched the definition or ethics so it's a more comfortable topic to fit into, here are a few. 

Imagine people complexly. 

Remember, Live, Consider

Don't close doors. 

Don't wait to talk. 

Walking alone in the daylight is worse than accompanied through darkness (stolen from someone I knew). 

A little flower can have as much impact as a dozen roses. 

Seek to inspire and be inspired. 

I may be wrong. 

There is always someone better, faster, smarter. Find them and learn from them. 

Loyalty > Opportunity

Don't fuck with my family

Just a few of them. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Nah I don't live by any morals, I just trust myself with what comes in my way, and what's best for me in that instance.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

The five P's is all i need in my life.

Proper

Preparation

Prevents

Poor

Performance

I live by a pretty basic code of ethics; the common sense approach to doing what's right. I am religious and so I have that as a foundation, but things like faith, love, charity, honor, chivalry and so on are also seen in a wide variety of cultures and practices. So it's like a basic law of humanity. Everyone knows right and wrong, and even though some things take a slightly different slant or it gets rearranged a bit, the same ultimate truth remains. "Do unto others..." has a religious foundation, but it still applies universally whether one considers themselves religious or not. 

• 1 month later...

I live by the code, creed, teachings, and maxims of the Jedi Temple that I am a part of. Basically, it is a code dedicated to self-discipline and service to those around you. 

Code of ethics, huh. I do not really have a code of ethics per se. But, I'll see what I can do.

Honor -  I will honor your right to speak your mind, even if I may vehemently disagree with it.

Respect - Respect is earned, never given.

Offense - Offense is always taken, never given. It is also 100% optional.

Loyalty - My loyalty is incredibly hard to earn. If you have earned it, consider it my way of saying "I will never leave your side".

Truth - I will defend the truth from those who seek to do away with it.

Work - Work efficiently. Working hard will at times not be worth it.

Country - I will defend her citizens, her culture and her heritage from those who seek to hurt her.

Free speech - I will speak my mind. Unfiltered. Your feelings on an issue I give zero fucks about, especially not when objective facts are involved.

Marriage - Shit's overrated. Fuck that.

Courage - I will find the courage to brave what I am afraid of.

Humor - What I won't find humorous someone else will.

Edited by Yakamaru