Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Disneyland really the happiest place on earth?

ManaMinori

I mean, there's outrageous ticket prices, long lines, screaming kids, overpriced amusement park food, shifty people in cartoon costumes, unclean restrooms,  it seems anything BUT happy, to me. But what do you guys think? Is it the "happiest place on earth", or could you name somewhere other than Disneyland where you've been happier?

• Brohoof 4

I've never heard of Dineyland. Is that a place with singing dinosaurs? If so, it is probably not the happiest place on Earth I would imagine.

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I mean, there's outrageous ticket prices, long lines, screaming kids, overpriced amusement park food, shifty people in cartoon costumes, unclean restrooms,  it seems anything BUT happy, to me. But what do you guys think? Is it the "happiest place on earth", or could you name somewhere other than Disneyland where you've been happier?

Anyway... Happiest place on earth is wherever you want it to be... but Disneyland is more for children, and adults that still want to experience the magic of being a child. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I was a kid I did not give a rats ass about any of those things... I just wanted to hug my favorite characters.

• Brohoof 2

The first and only time I ever went to Disneyland was back in 1987 and I don't recall much of the experience.

• Brohoof 1

I personally like Universals and Island of Adventures more (haven't gone to the recently opened water park). I still have a blast each time I go to them. Wouldn't say they are the happiest ALL the time, as I prefer less crowded and noisy places, like the Josiah Cephus Weaver Park back in Dunedin FL (ladies and dudes, it's hard to beat that sunset over there)

• Brohoof 1

As a huge disney fan, i always dreamed of spending atleast a few days in Disneyland. It's kinda like my own personal mecca, because i want to go there atleast once in my lifetime.

For disney fans, it truly is the happiest place on earth and it always will be. :)

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Yes, there are long lines, high prices, screaming kids and so on, but the same could be said for pretty much any amusement venue. The world is what it is and unfortunately some very good things get diluted by these aspects. But it's important to remember that there are also a lot of truly wonderful things as well. As a venue that's been in business since 1955, there is a lot of history there, for the guests as well as for park itself. Some adults go to relive their past and seek the nostalgia of their first visit from when they were kids. Others want to find their childhood again or see the park through the eyes of their children. And kids just love it because it's freaking Disneyland!

The dedication of the park says it all: 

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past and youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America--with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

When Walt said these words he meant them. He was an artist, and it wasn't about the greed so prevalent in the world today. He wanted to create a great 'show'. A lot of good things get colored by a few negative aspects, but one shouldn't let them ruin all the fun (after all, they're a fact of life that aren't exclusive to Disneyland). There are also many positive things that stem from Walt's sincere original vision that just can't be ignored. I will never forget my first visit to The Happiest Place On Earth (or any of the hundreds of visits since) because, all cynicism aside, it's a wonderful place to be. Where else can you rub elbows with the icons of cartoon greatness? Explore the cosmos? Pioneer the old west or step into a world of total fantasy? There are loads of positive things, one need only take a look. But be warned, once you take the plunge, you may never want to leave its borders again!  :sunbutt:

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 6

For the guests, yes, but only if they have VIP passes and brought their own lunches and water. As for the staff, I hear working conditions are similar to that of a German concentration camp... staff have even nicknamed the park "Mauschwitz", so I'd think twice before turning in that application.

25 minutes ago, Snowflake Frostflame said:

For the guests, yes, but only if they have VIP passes and brought their own lunches and water. As for the staff, I hear working conditions are similar to that of a German concentration camp... staff have even nicknamed the park "Mauschwitz", so I'd think twice before turning in that application.

The working conditions aren't as bad as all that. Many exaggerate the downside because they think of the job as a paycheck and little more. It may not be the highest paying gig in the world, but there are lots of cast members who wouldn't want to work anywhere else. Like any job, there are drawbacks, but there are also perks that most other jobs don't have. 

• Brohoof 4

11 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

As a huge disney fan, i always dreamed of spending atleast a few days in Disneyland. It's kinda like my own personal mecca, because i want to go there atleast once in my lifetime.

For disney fans, it truly is the happiest place on earth and it always will be. :)

8 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Yes, there are long lines, high prices, screaming kids and so on, but the same could be said for pretty much any amusement venue. The world is what it is and unfortunately some very good things get diluted by these aspects. But it's important to remember that there are also a lot of truly wonderful things as well. As a venue that's been in business since 1955, there is a lot of history there, for the guests as well as for park itself. Some adults go to relive their past and seek the nostalgia of their first visit from when they were kids. Others want to find their childhood again or see the park through the eyes of their children. And kids just love it because it's freaking Disneyland!

The dedication of the park says it all: 

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past and youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America--with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

When Walt said these words he meant them. He was an artist, and it wasn't about the greed so prevalent in the world today. He wanted to create a great 'show'. A lot of good things get colored by a few negative aspects, but one shouldn't let them ruin all the fun (after all, they're a fact of life that aren't exclusive to Disneyland). There are also many positive things that stem from Walt's sincere original vision that just can't be ignored. I will never forget my first visit to The Happiest Place On Earth (or any of the hundreds of visits since) because, all cynicism aside, it's a wonderful place to be. Where else can you rub elbows with the icons of cartoon greatness? Explore the cosmos? Pioneer the old west or step into a world of total fantasy? There are loads of positive things, one need only take a look. But be warned, once you take the plunge, you may never want to leave its borders again!  :sunbutt:

4 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

The working conditions aren't as bad as all that. Many exaggerate the downside because they think of the job as a paycheck and little more. It may not be the highest paying gig in the world, but there are lots of cast members who wouldn't want to work anywhere else. Like any job, there are drawbacks, but there are also perks that most other jobs don't have. 

@Mesme Rize @Dreambiscuit

I agree with the both of you! Now for my counter-arguement against such an insulting topic from @Nightmare Muffin

I was just at Disneyland yesterday and despite the high costs(which are needed by Disney to run their businesses and keep it running),  hot weather (which Disney can't control), and long lines (which are caused by so many people all wanting to see what the attractions are at once), I had so much fun!

As for the high cost, this article should give good reasons why Disneyland, as well as any other expensive theme park, is so expensive!

Say what you want, @Nightmare Muffin, but you will NEVER destroy my love for Disney. Some things may come close, like the awful moment in Family Guy where the Disneyequse universe killed Mort the Jew just because of a completely false rumor that Walt Disney himself was antisemitic or the slams against fairy tales in MLP's recent "Hard to Say Anything". Disney and its goals to bring family entertainment to people of all ages, backgrounds, and origins will never break!

• Brohoof 3

of course its the happiest place if youre an insane Disney fan (like me) or theme park go-oer.  Its not a cheap day out and was never intended to be, and the lines shouldnt bother you if you go to theme parks often, you get used to it. 

I was thinking this was gonna be a thread of the behind the scenes at Disney parks, because they really do force slave labour for the people who work there. Instead this is  a rant and rave about how theme parks operate thread. >.> 

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, StormBlaze said:

of course its the happiest place if youre an insane Disney fan (like me) or theme park go-oer.  Its not a cheap day out and was never intended to be, and the lines shouldnt bother you if you go to theme parks often, you get used to it. 

I was thinking this was gonna be a thread of the behind the scenes at Disney parks, because they really do force slave labour for the people who work there. Instead this is  a rant and rave about how theme parks operate thread. >.> 

Other than the "slave labor" thing which is very uncalled for, :okiedokieloki: I agree with you!

(edited)

It's about the memories you build. So if your bound on focusing on the negative, it'll be a place full of annoyance. 

I find it a mixture of both, when your wallet begs for mercy before you even set foot in the park, your aching feet at the end of the day, the heat or cold depending on when you go, the long lines, they all suck.

But that's part and parcel of going to any amusement park, especially during their busiest times.

But the smiles and laughter, introducing someone to the magic and the rides and photos and good times with your friends and family is really special and will make wonderful memories. 

When we go to amusement parks we split necessary costs, like tickets, gas and parking. We bring a cooler for lunch and snacks,  scout out fast food joints for dinner and we go during off seasons.

That makes the negatives less negative. Plus you can always purchase fast passes.

I prefer Knott's and SFMM myself. Cheaper, more chances to go during the off season and very, very fun.

Disneyland as much as I love it has gotten way too expensive.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 2

57 minutes ago, Leave a Whisper said:

It's about the memories you build. So if your bound on focusing on the negative, it'll be a place full of annoyance. 

I find it a mixture of both, when your wallet begs for mercy before you even set foot in the park, your aching feet at the end of the day, the heat or cold depending on when you go, the long lines, they all suck.

But that's part and parcel of going to any amusement park, especially during their busiest times.

But the smiles and laughter, introducing someone to the magic and the rides and photos and good times with your friends and family is really special and will make wonderful memories. 

When we go to amusement parks we split necessary costs, like tickets, gas and parking. We bring a cooler for lunch and snacks,  scout out fast food joints for dinner and we go during off seasons.

That makes the negatives less negative. Plus you can always purchase fast passes.

I prefer Knott's and SFMM myself. Cheaper, more chances to go during the off season and very, very fun.

Disneyland as much as I love it has gotten way too expensive.

If its about the family time and making memories, then that could be done anywhere, and still be "the happiest place on earth" for the individuals.  Its entirely subjective.  

I don't get how it would be, objectively speaking. It all comes down to personal preference, there is no "happiest place" on earth, or anywhere, in that matter.

I don't think it is necessarily a place for adults to say that it is the happiest place on Earth. Being a parent I would say that my happiest place is when there is peace in the house and laughing children playing nicely. However, for children who still have that innocence, Disneyland where all of their favorite characters come to life is an experience that they will not soon forget. As for me, I have been once, and I will probably take my children once, I feel like that is the most that you would really need to go because if you do go more than that then the experience and magic isn't the same as the first time. 

The only thing I like was the rides and the scenery, since it hold so much history. it feel like I was bought back in time since its very antique. One particular ride you cant miss is "small world," kinda made you forget about the outside world.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Having been to Disney World on a band trip (not Disneyland, but close enough), I'd say it's actually a pretty nice experience, providing you really love Disney, you're with a group of friends, or both. The rides are okay (some are actually really good, but go to Universal Studios instead if you just want to ride some rollercoasters), the food is hugely overpriced and of dubious quality at most of the restaurants, and yes, the lines are long. I went in February, one of their least crowded times of the year, and some rides still had wait times over an hour long. And thanks to most of the loud, screaming children still being in school when I went, I luckily didn't have to deal with any of that. I saw very few people who weren't high school aged at least. My band got hugely discounted tickets, so I can't comment on the prices. I'll probably never go again, so that doesn't really matter to me. I have to say, I don't think the bathrooms were actually all that bad. I agree they could be better for such an expensive trip, though.