Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E15 - Triple Threat

PinkiePie97

Did you like it?  

95 users have voted

1. 1. Did you enjoy the episode?

• Nope. Not enough yak. YAK SMASH PUNY EPISODE!!!!!
    • Nope; needed more deer. >: (
    • It was meh; zebra is fine with that.
    • I liked it! The buffalo would've enjoyed it!
    • THIS EPISODE IS SO GOOD IT STARTED WARS!!!

1 minute ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

I disagree that Spike looks bad. Spike never had an experience like this before, and for all he knows, the stakes were high.

It's weird how well received Lesson Zero was considering it made Twilight "look bad" Seems to be another example of the fandom having higher and higher expectations.

That's because Lesson Zero fitted in Twilights character, but this didn't with Spike. ;)

I'm not saying it is bad, but it isn't good for MLP episodes, and I'm disappointed that after episodes 12, 13 and 14, which were amazing, this one was less worse.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Hierok said:

That's because Lesson Zero fitted in Twilights character, but this didn't with Spike. ;)

I'm not saying it is bad, but it isn't good for MLP episodes, and I'm disappointed that after episodes 12, 13 and 14, which were amazing, this one was less worse.

Well, obviously I don't think it is better than 13, but I do think it is on a similar level of 12 and 14.

Also, I think we have seen that Spike is quick to assume and make generalizations, he is also quick to panic, so I do think this made some sense. 

• Brohoof 1

And spike dosent have a cutie mark how he activate. The cutie map? Its called a cutie map...but no the episode desided to trow bullshit at as... and if spikes so important to the cutie map how come hes never on the adventures. What a waste of a cutie map story.

1 minute ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Well, obviously I don't think it is better than 13, but I do think it is on a similar level of 12 and 14.

Also, I think we have seen that Spike is quick to assume and make generalizations, he is also quick to panic, so I do think this made some sense. 

No, Twilight is quick panicing, but Spike is mostly calm. He has a thing to make wrong decisions under pressure, I give him that.

• Brohoof 1

This is generally what I call a middling episode where the good absolutely outweighs any negatives. The biggest gripe I had was that Spike didn't solve a problem, his friends did that on their own, but that's a nitpick. In general, Spike's overreaction is par for the course with just about every character that faces an external conflict on this episode, so that didn't bug me. Ember was this episode's highlight, and I definitely appreciated the humor. =D

Food on walls. Gonna have to try that some time. ;)

9 minutes ago, Amys-pmvs said:

And spike dosent have a cutie mark how he activate. The cutie map? Its called a cutie map...but no the episode desided to trow bullshit at as... and if spikes so important to the cutie map how come hes never on the adventures. What a waste of a cutie map story.

Writers are God's of the universe. They gave the map a new power with one stroke of their pen. Now we know it can do all sorts of nifty things. Perhaps it should just be called the Friendship Map. :)

• Brohoof 5

4 minutes ago, Amys-pmvs said:

Actually, the ponies never officially called it a Cutie Map in universe. They just called it the Map that's connected to the Tree of Harmony. The Tree must have saw that Spike was needed and simply pointed out that a friendship  problem involved him.

Besides, the map didn't send him on all those other adventures because he wasn't necessary to solve the Friendship Problem.

• Brohoof 3

I hope I'm not the only one who found that joke where Spike intrudes on the male couple asking about a friendship problem to be the best hidden adult joke in this show since the body pillow. :orly:

Everything about this episode, I really liked discounting the lack of coverage on the "renegade Changelings" and Spike's first friendship problem being something he created. Come on Twilight, own up to encouraging him. :okiedokieloki:

I'm getting that strange feeling that Spike being called by the map was a throw-in for a future cutie map episode with him and Starlight (or the entire Mane Six with them), which is why she was summoned in A Royal Problem.

• Brohoof 2

37 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

Twilight and Starlight were good support, but it bugged me that they didn't try to get Spike back to his senses like he did for Twilight on Celestial Advice.

All I can say for that is Spike knows Starlight well, each time there was a flashback his immediate response was "Starlight would never act like that" because he knows it's true. For this episode Starlight doesn't know how Ember and the Dragons act and Twilight didn't have too much interaction with Thorax. So not only do neither of these two know much about the other but Twilight and Starlight have never heard any confirmation or denial on a feud between the two they they can't say without a doubt that it couldn't happen. (Also doesn't help that they panic just as easily when thrown into a situation:wacko:*)

*we really need some Starlight emoticons

9 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

I'm getting that strange feeling that Spike being called by the map was a throw-in for a future cutie map episode with him and Starlight (or the entire Mane Six with them), which is why she was summoned in A Royal Problem.

I think we are going to see more episodes with the map calling other ponies for problems in the future.

10 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

we really need some Starlight emoticons

We have one ... but it's hidden with a few others. It was her screaming 'quiet'.

• Brohoof 1

Seeing how muny negative comments this episode is getting, I’ll just point out the things I liked about it: 

• Thorax has difficulties being a leader, and a group of changelings still remain as they used to be. That’s a little compensation for the hastened reformation, and a promising development for the future.
  • Amber hasn’t changed much and still mostly sticks to dragons’ ways. Also, her interaction with Starlight and “dragon racism” were pretty funny. The moment with Derpy cracked me up.
  • It was nice to hear Lyra talking again. Certainly, a pleasant surprise for me (the obligatory complains about pandering don’t bother me at all).
  • Twi's comfy chair.

The Map’s logic is unfathomable. I think I’ll just deal with it and won’t try to overanalyze things. 
As for the story in general… that’s what you get after appointing an underage dude as an official ambassador. Even though Spike can do better. Much better.

5 minutes ago, Jeric said:

We have one ... but it's hidden with a few others. It was her screaming 'quiet'.

I meant more of her reformed faces they've been throwing around in all of her S6 and S7 appearances. But it's fine just a thought, no need to hang on it...

BACK TO THE EPISODE DISCUSSION!

This is one of those episodes that if they just meet and talk each other in the beginning then none of these issues wouldn't even happen. Spike should of just introduce them even with his over-reacting assumptions about how Dragons and Changelings won't get along but instead he tries to separate them and lie to them, eventually creating the problem. I know for the sake of the moral or lesson of the episode but saying it like that, Spike should of known how both Ember and Thorax were because he knows them for who they are, not who they were and Twilight should of suggest to Spike to allow them to meet instead of helping him trying to hide them from each other. What's the worst thing that can happen? Twilight being the Princess of Friendship and she didn't see that issue. One thing though, Ember and Thorax pretty much solve their issues even without Spike despite the map calling Spike for a friendship problem. I feel like the map wasn't necessary in this episode and it was useless besides knowing now that it can call Spike anytime.  

Thorax on the other hand, has brought up "rogue" changelings which is another interesting question about how the new reformed changelings are adjusting towards their new lives after being free from Chrysalis. This raises a issue with the season 6 finale when the other changelings change so suddenly when it took Thorax awhile to acknowledge and accept love through friendship. Maybe those changelings are just doing it for the moment, hypocrites in their reformation or really struggling to accept their new forms and way of life. This may have something to do with a potential future episode maybe involving Chrysalis, perhaps. 

Lyra and Coco Crusoe were quiet frankly an surprise in this episode especially with speaking roles, which is nice. Poor Derpy and towards her muffin.             

• Brohoof 2

While not as great as the last 3 outings were, on it's own it's still a solid episode. Thorax and Ember are still adorable and I'm loving how this season's been using Starlight

• Brohoof 4

As much as I liked this episode, one episode for Spike isn't enough. That's why he needs Uncommon Bond to get his season's worth!

Also going with Twilight on Once Upon a Zeppelin being apart of the family to get his share of family moments this season! Also hoping for him to at least come along in To Change a Changeling - I just love Thorax and Spike's interactions!

Edited by MegaSean45
  • Brohoof 1

Pretty sure I just always enjoy Spike episodes at this point. This one was a bit too predictable, but Thorax is cute, Ember is much more entertaining than her first appearance, and Spike is sympathetic even if his constant worrying gets old. Shame about the map and Starlight, but there are definitely funny moments here, the climax and moral are absolutely phenomenal, and Twilight gets some great moments. 

Full review at my blog.

Additional thoughts:

Will this show ever explain why these ponies obey the map? Do they do it just to get the obnoxious flashing to stop? Do they feel some sort of obligation to solve whatever little friendship problem the map directs them towards? If so, why? And how does the map work? How does it know exactly which characters will be able to solve the friendship problem? Can it call anyone? If so, why are only these specific ponies able to solve friendship problems? Couldn't it be someone else? I guess it's best not to question the map at this point, because it'll only lead to disappointment. 

What makes Starlight sometimes frustrating is how rapidly she switches between "immature and dangerous" and "snarky and down-to-earth." I really do think she's developed slightly more edge in these past two episodes, and I'm starting to see the snark that people praise more, but while I think those modes are why her fans like her, I just don't feel they fit the way the show does humour, and the presence of so many oversized personalities makes her seem dull by comparison, unless she's doing something which is more disturbing than funny. Thankfully she wasn't so aggressive this week, so I don't really hate her. 

I am glad to see these new characters again! I really liked how they worked together on this one, making a unique approach. They also made Spike cute in the way he was worried, and didn't ruin him or make it annoying, except for overreacting some.

First Impression:

I like everything about this episode but SPIKE, i somehow just want to skip his scenes to other character's. It's too bad that's Spike episode but he is not the reason i enjoyed this episode, whatever he did in this episode is meh and the plot feels like it didnt go anywhere, the problems just fix itself, Spike just go around and around do some stuffs... 

Ok I am done with the negatives. The positives are amazing :pinkie:

- Ember cant tell the differences between Starlight and Twilight, Is it the reference about how people say Starlight is Twilight's clone??? ^_^ Damn you Ember, Starlight is not Twilight clone, damn it

- Thorax is so adorable, he is not so mature that i thought he would be, i guess the transform just make him taller not smarter. He is just so soft and that's not how to be a leader :orly:

- Twilight and Starlight interact with Ember and Thorax are funny. Thorax is Mr. Nice guy and Ember is Tsundere.:sunbutt:

- A set up for To Change a Changeling.

- Background ponies are lively. HOW DARE YOU RUIN DERPY's MUFFIN?. Is Derpabuse a new trend?

- Thorax x Ember FTW.

- Ember is amazing in this episode, she just try to make friends in her dragon ways which make ponies run away from her, i guess ponies dont like Tsundere Dragon :toldya: She can eat the castle too, thats amazing.

- Thorax can transform into any animal bigger than his size, can he turn into the giant dragon? :lie: He immediately act aggresive towards Ember just because she could hurt Spike, that's a bit careless but i like it, Spike is his best friend afterall. 

- Another good TwilightxStarlight performances, i guess Starlight pairing with other mane 6 is not a thing, Purple should be belong to Purple, right!?

A decent episode, a good middle-road episode after the crazy episode last week. The plot is meh, Spike is meh but all other characters are so entertaining, saved this episode from being bad. It's 2017 but i have to say that's just a 'Spike episode' and i am disappointed, 6/10.

Bonus: I had a very bad feeling about this episode before it aired but thanks god, i was wrong, SPIKE CANT RUIN THIS EPISODE. :please:

9 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

It wasn't a terrible episode, but it was quite predictable - and painted Spike in quite a negative light.

That said, Both Thorax and Ember were awesome in this episode, its a shame Spike had to be made a buffoon to set up that situation.

This habit of screwing with Spike as a character is really getting old. I wish that they'd make up their minds about whether or not he's the bumbling idiot that he's oft shown as in Spike-centric episodes or the more witty, wisdom-filled and totally capable assistant he's shown to be...pretty much all other times.

I did like the interaction between Ember and Thorax, and the Derpy and Lyra/Bon gags were a nice touch.