Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Which operating system do you use ?

Angle Alastor

So everyone probably knows everyone that you guys use mac or windows or even ubuntu (linux).

So what is your favorite operating system that you are using ?

for me im trying out linux and really liking it much better then windows constant updates.

• Brohoof 2

I tried linux several times and always had a reason to return to Windows. But now, when Win10 was released it stays the best OS for me. =3

It has really sweet terminlal and Powershell is great for scripting. (much more comfy than Linux bash)

Updates never really bothered me: it takes minute or two in couple weeks (or month? I'm not sure).

I've only used Windows, and currently have Windows 7. I like Windows aside from the constant updates that begin to wear on the computer over time. Probably have installed more gigs worth of updates than I have of games. -_-

Windows 10. 

Although my laptop itself which I'd have since Christmas 2013 doesn't seem to be reading my disc drive anymore. I might need to bring it in for repairs.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Mac. I'm really irritated by Apple lately, but all the Windows computers I've had lasted 3-5 years max and all the Macs I've had lasted 7+ years, plus the Macs never needed maintenance... Plus I'm visually impaired and Mac has better accessibility software, and I'm not really a gamer. 

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse

I use Windows 7 on my desktop and 10 on my Surface Pro 3.  Can't say I'm happy with 10 as it's in a perpetual bata stage, but it is better than 8 at least, which is what my Surface came with initially.  

I've messed around with Linux ever since the the early Slackware days.  I've used pretty much every major distro at one time or another, but none of them have the range of software I'm interested in.  I also find support too fragmented to be very useful.  Still, I'm glad it's still around and I'll probably play around with it again sometime, just to see what progress it's made.  Unfortunately, I don't expect the same from the support perspective.

(edited)

I'm running Windows 10. I've been wanting to get into Linux as I want to have a backup in case Microsoft tries to lockdown everything to the godawful Windows store.

Edited by Vulon Bii

I wish i could use linux but none of my pcs will install it. I tried everything. I use Windows 10. I hate it so much. Ive had over 4 windows systems and, i always had trouble with them. I just have horrible luck.

I've been a Linux guy for years. I like the control I have over it; what initially pushed me away from windows was when windows update force rebooted my machine on me. I've also grown to enjoy the open nature of the project. I can be fairly confident that the code powering it has been audited by many eyes and that Linus Torvalds and the rest of the team doesn't have some kind of ulterior motive driving them.

Currently I'm using Elementary specifically because I really like its default setup and I know enough to be able to fix anything that annoys me. Though I am considering moving to Debian testing later and setting up something nice and lightweight.

• 7 months later...

All of my computers have Windows 10 and I hate it. Same thing at work, except for PC's running instruments (those have to stay on XP and off the internet) The updates slow things to a crawl, tho my old gaming rig does fine. Also, I do have occasional issues with Windows 10 not playing nice with the drivers for my astronomy cameras. 

I may be looking into Linux.

• 2 years later...

Linux for my telephone exchange.
Windows 7 for my work computer.
Windows 10 for my stupid computer (it does Facebook and all that automatically, so I don't have to bother with that :eww:)
Windows Server 2003 for my fun computer.
Windows 95 for my slow computer.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I'm currently using Windows 10 on my laptop. I also have installed Linux as a virtual environment on my laptop, which I mostly use for my university work. It's sort of like having two operating systems on one computer, but the primary one for my laptop is Windows.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using windows and linux operating systems. Windows for gaming and linux for work and stuff which is done better within a linux environment. On my pc I have windows 10 and linux installed separately and on my other devices I'm using a linux distribution only.