Banner by ~ SFyr

Is it Soda or Pop?  

47 users have voted

1. 1. What do you call carbonated drinks?

• Soda
    • Pop
    • "Coke"
    • Tonic
    • Soft drink

7 minutes ago, Slipstream95 said:

It isn't good enough to be debated?

It isn't much of a debate topic since there really isn't a goal to achieve by specifying what you call a soft drink. Each individual will still call it what they want since there is no right or wrong term.

That being said, I usually call it soda.

It varies between soda and soft drink, depending on the establishment. At a restaurant it's soft drink. If I'm buying it at a store, it's soda. 

Also it depends on what it'd being served in. Can = soda. Cup = soft drink. 

Though usually I just call it by the type or brand of drink. 

Last I checked, coke is a pretty south east type of thing, since the coca-cola company is headquartered in Atlanta. 

Tonic is real old school. I don't think anyone uses that anymore. 

Badges

3 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Also it depends on what it'd being served in. Can = soda. Cup = soft drink. 

That's interesting. I don't call things by a different name by what they're served in, but I feel like if I did, a can would be pop because if kind of makes a pop sound when you open one, and a bottle would be soda since it makes a sizzling with the release of the built up carbonation.

Calling it by the brand name makes the most sense with the variety we have available. Sure I want a soda, but I don't want Grape Fanta.

• teacup 1

12 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

That's interesting. I don't call things by a different name by what they're served in, but I feel like if I did, a can would be pop because if kind of makes a pop sound when you open one, and a bottle would be soda since it makes a sizzling with the release of the built up carbonation.

Calling it by the brand name makes the most sense with the variety we have available. Sure I want a soda, but I don't want Grape Fanta.

Typically it's cause most place that serve it in a cup call them soft drinks. While stuff in cans or bottles is marketed as soda. 

Never heard it called pop. Supposedly that's a lower midwest thing. 

• teacup 1

Badges

13 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Typically it's cause most place that serve it in a cup call them soft drinks. While stuff in cans or bottles is marketed as soda. 

Never heard it called pop. Supposedly that's a lower midwest thing. 

My grandmother always called it pop and she grew up in California so I thought it was generational maybe.

• teacup 1

I always said, "Soda". It never really varied for me much. ^^;; Now when I'm joking around with my friends, like you do and say wierd things in wierd ways for a chuckle, I've said "Sodie-Pop!" but, that's like... less than once in a blue moon rare. XD

Badges