Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is Your Opinion On Religious Diversity?

Altastrofae

I never understood the concept of arguing over differing philosophies. Especially those which involve religious ideals. When you truly believe in your chosen faith, it becomes a part of your very being. A part of who you are. When you insult that part of a person, they're not going to ignore that. No matter how much you argue, you'll never get them to change their mind. They'd have to change their entire psychological structure to even be okay with it. The only thing arguing will result in is both parties being totally pissed off at eachother, and the ultimatum that nobody knows exactly what the truth is. It is for this reason that, in my opinion, faith is less about knowing what is true, and more about knowing thyself, who you are, and who you will strive to become.

So what do you all think? What is your opinion on religious diversity? ¦D

(edited)

It's a tough subject to tackle, really. I'll try to keep this brief, though: diversity, in any way, shape, or form, is not a bad thing. It can create connections, it can help you learn about someone and their culture/beliefs, among other things. The only real issue comes up when someone is misbehaving in some manner. For example, having white people in a group is not bad... but white supremacy cannot be accepted. Having Religious people in your group isn't bad... but religion-based attacks cannot be accepted. I'm sure you get the idea by now, so I'll just leave it at that. Diversity is not bad (in fact, it's actually good), but it shouldn't be used to excuse someone's actions.

That's just how I fee l about it, anyways. :grin:

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Like you mean like my views on Religions from all over the world? I guess they're OK, I mean they're interesting to learn about, I actually took a school course called "Comparative Religions" earlier this year, we leaned about different religions and we even traveled to a few places of worship like a Buddhist Temple, a Hindu Temple, and even an Islamic Mosque and sat through their services. While the experience taking the course didn't change my own religious views, it was very interesting to learn about the views of others, besides, having a world filled with many different and unique religions leads to a more interesting and overall more unique planet :D   

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Let people believe what they want. Feel free to share differing viewpoints. It's good to see the world from multiple angles. But don't let the mere fact that someone thinks you're wrong grind your gears. I think a lot of conflict would be avoided, especially these days, if more people were just accepting of the fact that someone else thinks they're wrong about something. Because someone, somewhere always will think you're wrong. But who cares if they do?

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 5

Well if you're of the belief that infidels are going to hell, then you possibly wish to save them from that torment, or to prevent them from converting yours loved ones so they don't face that torment either, and the way things are written doesn't permit compromise because then you'll go to hell, and the risks are simply too high to be accepting of others. Nowadays in more free cultures, there's often thought to be room for interpretation. It's quite frustrating yet fascinating, particularly from an atheist's perspective where you get to play devil's advocate with everyone.

Any kind of religious group is going to have those who are all in, they have done their homework, prayed, fasted, and have no doubt what so ever that what they believe is the absolute truth. Those are the people that you mostly hear about. Those who are on the front lines of the first religious protest, those are the ones that are bashing others because they are "wrong". Let's call them Betty Blue Bonnet's. Then you have those who go to church every Sabbath and they can hardly make it through the sermon before they start to whisper or fall asleep. Let's call them Joe Blow's. They are either dragged there by their family or go out of obligation. They are the ones that snicker as Betty Blue Bonnet over there sticks her nose up at the couple over in the next row are living together out of wedlock. Those are the ones that are very easily swayed into at least trying anything once, they are open to discussions and will talk you till you are blue in the face. And they thrive on the Betty Blue Bonnet's because they get so uptight about it and Joe Blow over here is just having a grand ol' time asking questions. 

Then you have the middle of the road'ers. Let's call them Suzy Forward's. They have a testimony and a belief that their religion is right for them. They are the ones that hold the church together. They are the glue that puts up with the Betty Blue Bonnet's and then makes the Joe Blow's act right and respect their fellow members. They are okay to approach to have an educated discussion. They have done enough study to know what they believe is true, and they can use textual context in the RIGHT manner to back up what they believe. They are the ones that are open to hearing what others are saying without flat out calling them a liar or blasphemer, yet they will take them seriously enough to try to get their perspective. 

You will always find these three types of people in EVERY religion. Each type of person plays a very crucial part in their culture and diversity. Just like having a diverse community, school, work place. Having a diverse place of worship is what makes each religion thrive. There is never going to be a day when all religion will come together and openly listen. Because you have so many Betty's and not enough Suzy Forward's. Or you will have too many Joe's and ... who knows where that could lead lol. 

The thing that we can do though is even if you are any of those personality types you can just stop... listen... and part ways. Or... if you are not comfortable with it you don't have to talk about it. If you don't know someone's religious background can you still have a conversation? Can you still be friends? If you were to never talk about what you do on your day of Sabbath will the world end? I feel like if you are comfortable and can know when to live and let live then you are mature enough to have that conversation with someone else, of any of the 3 groups. 

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

I never understood the concept of arguing over differing philosophies. Especially those which involve religious ideals. 

As a religious person myself, I think discussing religion is not only good, but necessary. Don't get me wrong, we should still respect everyone's faith but without questioning it we'd still burn people at the stake. 

• Brohoof 1

There are so many diverse religions all over the world and I think that's perfectly fine. People believe in things according to their own experience, culture and perspective. Different belief systems allow for that diversity and help everyone to reach that part of themselves that responds to a higher power, improving the self and seeking answers to the greatest questions. So much of religion is the seeking and desire to understand things beyond our own selves. 

• Brohoof 2

Live and let live, or as already stated, "you do you." As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, subjucate someone/infringe upon the rights of others---who cares?
For instance, I'm a Pagan, my best friend is a Lucifarian (not be confused with Satanism, NOT the same thing by a long shot) and my other really good friend is a Christian. We are like the beginning of a bad joke lol.

"So a Pagan, a Lucifarian and a Christian walk into a bar-----"

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 5/10/2018 at 5:26 PM, CrystalBloodMoon said:

I never understood the concept of arguing over differing philosophies. Especially those which involve religious ideals. When you truly believe in your chosen faith, it becomes a part of your very being. A part of who you are. When you insult that part of a person, they're not going to ignore that. No matter how much you argue, you'll never get them to change their mind. They'd have to change their entire psychological structure to even be okay with it. The only thing arguing will result in is both parties being totally pissed off at eachother, and the ultimatum that nobody knows exactly what the truth is. It is for this reason that, in my opinion, faith is less about knowing what is true, and more about knowing thyself, who you are, and who you will strive to become.

You're right ultimately but sound a bit naive. Most religions preach a doctrine of conversion, even by force if necessary. The idea is that they believe their truth is the absolute and only truth, anything else is heresy- this is where the notion of "blasphemy" comes from. Basically, if you're a christian, a muslim, a scientologist, whatever- you're fighting for the fate of the world, compromise and understanding aren't a part of that vocabulary. You either believe and are rewarded, or you don't and get punished. So, most religions are pretty black and white in their worldviews and won't accept differing opinions. 

Atheists approach a bit differently, but with the same treatment of their worldview. To many atheists, religion is a threat to society... it's a corrupting influence and is antagonistic to logical reasoning, which those same atheists highly value. So they set out with the goal of 'converting' theists with basically the same endgame as anyone else. 

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Olly said:

You're right ultimately but sound a bit naive. Most religions preach a doctrine of conversion, even by force if necessary. The idea is that they believe their truth is the absolute and only truth, anything else is heresy- this is where the notion of "blasphemy" comes from. Basically, if you're a christian, a muslim, a scientologist, whatever- you're fighting for the fate of the world, compromise and understanding aren't a part of that vocabulary. You either believe and are rewarded, or you don't and get punished. So, most religions are pretty black and white in their worldviews and won't accept differing opinions. 

Atheists approach a bit differently, but with the same treatment of their worldview. To many atheists, religion is a threat to society... it's a corrupting influence and is antagonistic to logical reasoning, which those same atheists highly value. So they set out with the goal of 'converting' theists with basically the same endgame as anyone else. 

I don't think that's naïve. Who says all religions are like that?

I'm actually Wiccan, and we have Rede, or "code" if you will. It says, quote unquote, "An ye harm none, do as yell will"

That is Old English, but basically what it's saying is that a person is always in the right if they aren't hurting anyone in the process of doing so. I don't really pin my religion on people because I understand that what works for me isn't necessarily going to work for everyone.

If that's naïve, then please, refrain from telling tell me what isn't

1 minute ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

I don't think that's naïve. Who says all religions are like that?

Not all, just the ones with the largest numbers of followers :P These religions were made in bronze-age societies where war was commonplace and science wasn't a thing. So their doctrines teach hellfire to non-believers and that the only path to salvation is through the "one true faith" (themselves). This is the root of all religious conflict, it's why ISIS exists.  

You said quote: I never understood the concept of arguing over differing philosophies. Especially those which involve religious ideals. When you truly believe in your chosen faith, it becomes a part of your very being. A part of who you are. When you insult that part of a person, they're not going to ignore that. No matter how much you argue, you'll never get them to change their mind. 

Which, yeah, we can agree "why argue" and "don't insult people" but most of the time, people don't always do the most rational thing. Religion creates intense passion in people, and this can make them intolerant of other faiths out of a sense of necessity. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Olly said:

Not all, just the ones with the largest numbers of followers :P These religions were made in bronze-age societies where war was commonplace and science wasn't a thing. So their doctrines teach hellfire to non-believers and that the only path to salvation is through the "one true faith" (themselves). This is the root of all religious conflict, it's why ISIS exists.  

You said quote: I never understood the concept of arguing over differing philosophies. Especially those which involve religious ideals. When you truly believe in your chosen faith, it becomes a part of your very being. A part of who you are. When you insult that part of a person, they're not going to ignore that. No matter how much you argue, you'll never get them to change their mind. 

Which, yeah, we can agree "why argue" and "don't insult people" but most of the time, people don't always do the most rational thing. Religion creates intense passion in people, and this can make them intolerant of other faiths out of a sense of necessity. 

That's why I'll never understand it. I'm a guy who just likes to let things happen. If my beliefs bother somebody, I may try to correct any misinformation, as is the nature of OCD, but mostly, I'd let it slide. No real point. There's no ends to a means, it's "illogical" as they say

4 minutes ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

That's why I'll never understand it. I'm a guy who just likes to let things happen. If my beliefs bother somebody, I may try to correct any misinformation, as is the nature of OCD, but mostly, I'd let it slide. No real point. There's no ends to a means, it's "illogical" as they say

You can't change human nature but you can try to set a good example by behaving as you'd expect others to.

43 minutes ago, Olly said:

You can't change human nature but you can try to set a good example by behaving as you'd expect others to.

That's not human nature at all!

Ugh... whatever...

Kinda defeats the purpose. 

Thousands of different regions. All of them think theirs is the right one. But all of them can't be right. There's the possibility that none of them are. 

A religion is supposed to be a definitive connection to the divine. Having more than one or even more than one variant of the same one, makes that certainty about life and the divine, into something ambiguous. With so many ways, how will we know which one is right? How will we know if any of them are right?  

It's ironic. Religions were founded to help humanity find truth and certainty in the universe, yet their creation has lead to ambiguity and confusion in the search for answers. 

• Brohoof 1

As someone of faith, even if it's the super-white modern Christian variety, I'm all for religious freedom.  Freedom of belief and freedom of expression are things I support.  I draw the line when people murder one another or commit terrorist acts due to their beliefs, but if they stay within the law then I'm cool with whatever.  If someone wants to sport the Papa Smurf look, that's their choice and it's not hurting anyone or anything.  In short, my stance is fairly simple: criminal acts of any kind aren't cool, but otherwise like with any other form of freedom, religious freedom is something I agree with.

(edited)

Religious diversity is almost an oxymoron, given that most (at least of the larger) religions tend towards absolutism.  As has already been mentioned there are hundreds (if not thousands) of religions around the world today, many thousands more that have died out over time, and even more that either never gained traction or died with their founder.  Many of them them (not all obviously) are mutually exclusive and will accept no other truth but their own.  They can't all be right, and if back in the mists of time a god (or gods) did indeed ever speak to a human and that human went out to preach what they had been told, the chances are that human was killed for consorting with evil spirits or died alone in a cave having been banished for the same.  The power of any given religion comes from a combination of membership and age, not from any inherent merit of what they teach.

That being said, religion does of course provide something for those that believe, and as long as they keep their belief in their heart, their home and appropriate places of worship then very few people would have a problem with them.  If someone chooses to discuss their belief with me, either individually or by preaching in a public place then I reserve my right to challenge and criticise that person's beliefs.  I know that I won't change their mind, the very nature of faith is that it is present in the absence of evidence.

The point of discussion and debate is that even if neither party changes their mind, both may walk away with not only a greater understanding of the opposing viewpoint, but may even come to understand their own position better, as being challenged forces them to develop their own views in order to better defend them.

If religious diversity is ever to succeed as a concept then it must be embraced by everyone without exception, that would mean that no individual can be permitted to threaten another with divine judgement or eternal damnation for not conforming to that individual's chosen beliefs.  That doesn't just apply between differing belief systems, it must also apply within each.  Sadly I can't see that ever happening.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

Here is what I think we need to do.

Rather than arguing over differences we can agree upon the things which are same in every religion. I believe world can be a better place if we do that. 

(And we should respect others so they may respect us. Otherwise there can be even more bitter conflicts. Maybe more than our world can handle)

• Brohoof 1

On 2018-05-15 at 10:15 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Thousands of different regions. All of them think theirs is the right one. But all of them can't be right.

I  do want to point out that certain people think that that all religions contain a core recognition of the same God, so technically you can believe that all of the worlds religions are right. 

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Yamet said:

I  do want to point out that certain people think that that all religions contain a core recognition of the same God, so technically you can believe that all of the worlds religions are right. 

Those certain people forgot that polytheistic faiths exist.