Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

BronyCon 2019 Memories

Jeric

This is the thread to talk about your experiences of BC and what it meant. Linking to blogs is also acceptable. Mine will come in a day as I need to find the proper words to describe the indescribable. 

I’ll share this small thing. You know why you came when a friend looks you in the eye with tears welling and says how they feel about your friendship with an earnest and sincere outpouring of love. This happened as I bid farewell to @Troblems who epitomized all five elements of harmony on this trip. The individual and three way embraces that were shared were a cap on a such a magnificent week that I’m still going to smile and cry each time I think back on this moment ... a simple 60 seconds that will be felt for my entire life.  

Small things can have a high impact and penetrate the soul. 

• Brohoof 11

• The topic was featured

There are a few pivotal moments for me.

The first was when I finally meet @Jeric & @Troblems. Seeing the spark of oh I know this guy and the excitement of trading greetings really cemented the sense of community. 

The second was when I was at three panels the brony psychologist one, the importance of fan fiction and how to improve fan fiction. They made me realize that this community is in our hooves. That it lives as long as we hold the magic of friendship within. That is what tossed some extra fuel on my fire to create and give back to the fandom. 

The third was when we all met up for our dinner and then the next day to get ourselves back home. The willingness to help people we barely know. To give rides and keep each other company is not something I have found outside of the military. For me to feel that same brotherhood/sisterhood with people outside of the military community is just amazing. 

This was a flagship moment for me in the fandom. And I really think that it was the best birthday weekend of my life. 

• Brohoof 6

Hugging fursuiters. Acquaintances/friends inviting you to dinner with them. I know how small those things seem, but for someone who's dealt with social anxiety for years those things are HUGE. It's all those little things that add up into one huge memory.

• Brohoof 8

Linecon. But seriously, I had this feeling last year. I was standing in Stabletop games and it felt like I had never left. It was like all year was just a blink and those few days was everything. I saw the same people playing the same games, and I felt home.

• Brohoof 5

My favorite memory was probably walking around in fursuit and seeing the positive effect it had on people. I loved being able to watch the smiles of people who passed by, and every picture and compliment and hug just made me feel that much more fulfilled.

The Gala was another amazing one. I wore a partial fursuit with formal wear and, being the loser that I am, decided to dance with the Rainbow Dash plushie I bought earlier that day. That also made a lot of people smile, which was all I could have asked for. The performance was amazing, too. They had me crying my eyes out for the last half hour of the Gala. I don't think I realized how much the show truly meant to me until that point, and even though it was only a day and a half into my first convention, BronyCon had already made a massive impact on me.

The fursuit parade was interesting. It was great and I loved being in it, but it really wasn't planned out all that well. I think we had to steal a couple of water coolers from one of the panels.

Neighhem Fest was sick. I'd never been to a rock/metal concert before, but I really enjoyed it. I just need to remember to bring earplugs if I ever go to another. It got really loud at times, to the point where it'd hurt my ears.

I could list off countless more memories, but I think I'll stop there. Basically the entire weekend from start to finish was incredible, and I was reluctant to leave the convention center every night. 

• Brohoof 8

Besides running into about every Brony I know, my memory takeaways are: Missing the Gala (I thought it was Saturday) but, right after, I did dance on stage in Octavia fursuit at Bronypalooza in her purple Gala gown! Being in fursuit as Octavia and getting hugged by about half the attendees. Having about a thousand photos of Octavia with the other half of the attendees. Adding one of Octavia's treble clef (&) buttons to the BronyCon memorial. Getting tons of positive comments about Octavia's chain mail bikini.

It's sad to see the magic end but the memories will last a lifetime. I came into BronyCon five years ago with 10,011 happy ponies and left it with 10,250 mostly happy ponies.

Octavia 17554374_1644016265907390_3590214846390795129_n.jpg

1531873729.rats-eye-view_anthrohio-2018_greypony-03.jpg

Octavia IMG_6656-496.jpg

Edited by GreyPon3
Add picture
  • Brohoof 10

37 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Jeric

Are we talking this BronyCon or all the BronyCons we've been to? 

This one was the main one I am thinking of, but considering it was the last one, it might be a good idea to talk about others. 

• Brohoof 4

The absolute joy I felt at finally meeting so many of the folks I'd gotten to know over the few years I've been here was overwhelming; it took me days to process it all, and I'm still relating stuff to my friends and family here!

The panels I got to attend with @PathfinderCS were fascinating... what's more, he was as absolutely attentive as I get, which counts for a lot when I'm trying to pay attention.  Him, DH & KC were, without a doubt, some of the best roomies I'd ever had at any convention - and that's saying a LOT. 

Actually getting to talk to (and give REAL hugs to) folks I'd come to know and trust, such as The Great & Powerful @Jeric, the mighty @Troblems, scrappy @Mentis Soliloquy, and not only getting to meet my unofficially-officially adopted son, @Denim&Venom, but I adopted a new Lil'bro as well in @Snow

Truly taking the initiative and fulfilling my role as a loon by yelling 'BUFFALO MAN!' at the top of my lungs upon finding @Dark Qiviut and his charming mother, as well as the three of us being treated to an impromptu performance of the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 song by TWO pairs of Flim Flam Brothers!  

The Somber thing.  Yes, that's how I'll ALWAYS remember that - even on my death bed.  I did a blog on it, if you're interested... if not, that's okay.

Watching the latest episode as a group, all sitting in the 17th floor foyer & enjoying the return of Weird Al as well as just being together, doing a nifty thing.

*chuckle* Nursing my insomnia by sitting up & playing an app game... and discovering which of my roommates has the most irksome & weird snore EVER... and no, I won't tell.  It's more fun not to say whom, anyway - let folks wonder.

Coming down the escalator and witnessing a whole circle of grown adults, dancing & singing Pinkie's Smile Song.  I teared up a bit, it was just such innocent fun in a world I've often grown weary of; seeing that rejuvenated a part of my soul.

Seeing the Steampunk Fluttershy & Discord I'd gotten a picture of earlier show up during the costume show... and watching the guy propose to the girl right onstage.  (She ecstatically said yes; the audience went nuts.)

All the different little conversations I had with so many folks - each one unique and interesting, and fascinating to get to know these folks in a way that went beyond a computer screen.

I had an absolute blast - but it was mostly because of all the wonderful people who were there, for which I am exceedingly grateful.  Thank you, fellow Ponyites, for taking me into the fold & making me feel not only welcome, but actually wanted there.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Excelsior, you fine people - thank you for the memories.

• Brohoof 6

My favorite memories of Bronycon would have to be when I was able to meet @Jeric and everyone else at the breakfast. It was great being able to meet a lot of the forum member's I had seen from time to time. Along with meeting @Jedishy and others to play a bit of card games. I also loved seeing an old friend I had met last year and being able to go to panels that we both agreed that we would be there. I just hope that even though that was the last Bronycon, I can still talk to you all and get to know you all more and more.

If we are talking about past conventions, then the only thing I can think of was during Bronycon of 2017. My father had passed away the week before, but I didn't think it was right to go to said convention. In his last request, he wanted me to go and have the most fun that I could ever possibly have. I told him that I would, but that I would also try to win a tournament in his honor. I remember getting a Starlight Glimmer necklace and wore it throughout the convention. When it came time to play in the tournament, I held the necklace close to my heart and said, "Please guide me and please show me the way." During the whole tournament, it felt like my dad was watching over me from up above, while it felt like Starlight was sitting right next to me. Cheering me on and guiding me to victory. I managed to win the tournament and got a pass to next year, but the prize and glory didn't matter as I wanted to do something in my dad's memory. It was during Bronycon of that year that I proclaimed that Starlight was my favorite pony. It was because I could relate and understand her in one way or another, while she also had given me hope when there were times that I had lost hope within myself.

• Brohoof 8

Attending the final BronyCon was something special, not being one of many firsts, first trip on my own, first time to the USA, second convention, first pony thing, meeting a load of people... it was amazing I met some many people and it. I will try and tag almost everyone but if I miss people don't hate me I'm not totally amazing past midnight...

@Denim&Venom Knowing you for 3 years and finally meeting and rooming with you was a blast, we got on like a house on fire with no issues despite someone having apprehensions about rooming together... hehe, it was great to meet you my dude and chill at the Con together.

Meeting so many of the people on staff was awesome I remember being so... terrified of most of the staff when I first got here and then over time as I got my hoof into the pudding that stupid idea went away. @Randimaxis You sir are a legend and it was an honour to meet you, and I've never seen anyone floor ice tea like you good sir! @Dark Horse Hey remember giving me that warning like 2 years ago? I don't know why I remember thinking of that just now, but it was amazing to meet the Irish pone & of course @clocksin (don't know why I can't tag ya) You are a awesome dude and you and DH are lovely together. @Jeric & @Troblems you two were always together it was nice to enjoy your company when I bumped into the pair of you and the cool things you talked about was lovely. @PathfinderCS loved the mu-stash my man and you were also very cool to chill with. @Snow My dude it was a pleasure to chill with someone else from the Great Southern Land and have a good joke and the expensive of everyone else at times and have a bloody good laugh with. @Dark Qiviut you were such a keep Con goer and it was cool to be around you such a keen air rubbed off on everyone around you! Last but by no means least @Jedishy I never did find you during the Con and it bugged me... but thanks for the free things on the last DAY!!

I wish I attended other years, but damn I'm glad I managed to get go to the last and I loved the whole thing and I wish there was more... but alas... It was damn well fun!

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, Mentis Soliloquy said:

Attending the final BronyCon was something special, not being one of many firsts, first trip on my own, first time to the USA, second convention, first pony thing, meeting a load of people... it was amazing I met some many people and it. I will try and tag almost everyone but if I miss people don't hate me I'm not totally amazing past midnight...

@Denim&Venom Knowing you for 3 years and finally meeting and rooming with you was a blast, we got on like a house on fire with no issues despite someone having apprehensions about rooming together... hehe, it was great to meet you my dude and chill at the Con together.

Meeting so many of the people on staff was awesome I remember being so... terrified of most of the staff when I first got here and then over time as I got my hoof into the pudding that stupid idea went away. @Randimaxis You sir are a legend and it was an honour to meet you, and I've never seen anyone floor ice tea like you good sir! @Dark Horse Hey remember giving me that warning like 2 years ago? I don't know why I remember thinking of that just now, but it was amazing to meet the Irish pone & of course @clocksin (don't know why I can't tag ya) You are a awesome dude and you and DH are lovely together. @Jeric & @Troblems you two were always together it was nice to enjoy your company when I bumped into the pair of you and the cool things you talked about was lovely. @PathfinderCS loved the mu-stash my man and you were also very cool to chill with. @Snow My dude it was a pleasure to chill with someone else from the Great Southern Land and have a good joke and the expensive of everyone else at times and have a bloody good laugh with. @Dark Qiviut you were such a keep Con goer and it was cool to be around you such a keen air rubbed off on everyone around you! Last but by no means least @Jedishy I never did find you during the Con and it bugged me... but thanks for the free things on the last DAY!!

I wish I attended other years, but damn I'm glad I managed to get go to the last and I loved the whole thing and I wish there was more... but alas... It was damn well fun!

I almost forgot about the time @Randimaxis had drank so much ice tea in ten seconds flat. I was sitting next to him and even I couldn't believe it. I even drink a lot of soda and I don't finish a soda that quickly. It was an awesome moment and one that I will never forget. :) 

• Brohoof 4

Watched Britt Mckillip, Rebecca Schoichett, Michelle Creber, Black Gryph0n, and a few others doing a acoustic concert and it was so awesome :wub:.

I mainly went because Britt was also going to be there and didn't want to miss that. Even if a smash tournament was around the same time..

20190802_140124.jpg

Edited by Cadance of Love
  • Brohoof 1

I went to a lot of panels this BronyCon, but my favorites are the following.

• The Larson roast. For Larson’s birthday, panelists and those who worked closely with him shared their fondest, funniest memories in classic Don-Rickles-to-Reagan fashion. Thiessen referring to him as a “fucker” gave me a large laugh. Course, it ain’t a rowdy 21+ panel without drinks and a couple of blow-up Sharpies. And since Larson loved signing stuff, how apropos of the panel to give him a large, writable Sharpie as a present. Oh, yeah!

Crowd: THANKS, M.A. LARSON!

Nah, not good enough!

Crowd: YOU’RE A BITCH, M.A. LARSON!

:laugh:

• Hooves Line: No chance in hell I was missing it! For 90 minutes, Saberspark, SilverQuill, Black Gryph0n, ACRacebest, and some other dude did a classic, Whose Line improv with Pony. Needless to say, it was hysterical, especially “Twilight meets Grogar” and this Hoedown (starts at 41:50). 
  • Bonnie Zacherle panel. This is my favorite one. Her story is inspirational. How her love for horses inspired her to come up with the My Pretty Pony toyline back in the early 80’s. How despite getting no credit and was virtually ignored, she was getting the recognition she rightly deserved. The Q&A that followed is absolutely sentimental, wholesome, and heartwarming. This whole panel made me shed a tear.

There were other great moments, but some of mine were:

1. After challenging people to shout “BUFFALO MAN!” if they see me, I saw many great people, including @Jeric, @Waldorf@Dynamo Pad (the first to find me), @Denim&Venom, @Dark Horseand the one and only @Randimaxis!

2. My favorite image: 

50101121-D2D0-4E7D-9E42-08EEC93B0CBA.thumb.jpeg.f694efc85f0187677ed4fc1b7f1edd14.jpeg

3. Dancing and jumping at BronyPalooza.

4. Rallying the bronies with all the “HEY, YEAH!” chants. :laugh:

• Brohoof 3

A bunch of us are in the banner. I’m the goober in the back in the middle of a “Yo Joe” fist pump 

I’ll let people out who they are personally instead of me doing it. Some don’t like drawing attention to themselves. 

• Brohoof 1

Memories...my God; it's been only a few weeks, but it feels like yesterday when I left BWI after giving @Troblems and @Jeric a tearful hug goodbye (though Jeric stayed the night with me at Charlotte; FUN PLACE). With it being the last BronyCon it would be normal to suggest it would be bigger and better than either of the past three conventions I attended in Baltimore, but my God...what made the convention for me was the people I attended it with. This will easily be top-3 of my greatest experiences in life by FAR for some time to come.

Of course it all started arriving at BWI. I was to rendezvous with a few forum friends; all but one of which I would be meeting for the VERY first time. Aye; I roomed with @FancyHorse two years ago at BronyCon and he is one of the best roommates and friends a fellow could ask for. Seeing him again was always going to be a treat. Also getting to meet best buggo @~C. Discord~ and his friend was indeed a highlight. I must confess; meeting @Jeric and @Troblems for the first time was something special and I will cherish every moment I spent with them.

After some time @Dark Horse arrived along with @Creamy Arty, and it was such a moment being there with everyone in the hotel. The following day I got to reconnect with @LadyMercury and also met the ever so lovable @Randimaxis for the first time. The panels I attended at the end of the first day were enhanced SO MUCH by having Randi there; I gotta say. His investment in the panels and such brought out a certain interest and appreciation that I wasn't expecting. Randi, Darky, and Fancy were some of the best roommates ever and it was an honor staying with them.

The convention itself was great; of course. The panels I attended were fun and/or informative. I mean, the Twilight/Grogar segment from Hooves Line Is It Anyway will never be topped; as far as I am concerned. Of course, any episode panel with Silver Quill is automatically going to be fun! The marketplace was also great and I got some great goodies there; though I probably paid too much in the end, but whatever! XD

Again tho, the time spent with Jeric, Troblems, Fancy, Dark Horse, Randi, C. Discord, Lady Mercury, and others...THAT was worth everything. Hell; meeting @Snow, @Senko, @Mentis Soliloquy, @Jedishy, @Derplight Sperkle, @Dark Qiviut, and others...just...it's a memory that will never be replaced, and I will hold it dear forever. And the tears shed in the threeway hug between Trobz, Jeric, and myself...that was powerful.

I love you guys; every one of you. Thank you for making BronyCon 2019 as amazing as it was.

14 hours ago, SparklingCaps said:

Who’s who in the Bronycon banner? :ooh: I recognize a few users.

I'm there! I'm the guy with the red shirt, Blackjack plush, Sombra shoulder bag, and loads of buttons on him. XD

• Brohoof 3

As said in the Twilight/Grogar segment "It's not giving up if you get Twilight to do it."

Also I am still finding myself looking at the banner and being surprised by just how many forum goers were there. I went because it was perhaps my last opportunity to attend something like this and get the full experience. I am glad I did and there's half a dozen poor plushies sitting on my living room table and being traumatized by the horror movies and cartoons I watch. They just had to sit through the witchunter movie with Vin Diseal poor things. I enjoyed silver quills panel as well though there are a few I would have attended differently had I known going in what they'd be like but as they say life is what happens when your busy making plans to do something else.

I didn't meet most of those in the banner but I am glad to have met the ones I did.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not there. I forgot to check the Discord to see if there was a meet up :blush:. When was it at? The last two days I had a hectic time with other things including meeting Britt, smash tournament, a few meetups with friends. Then Sunday that Pokémon USUM tournament took up all my time.. Didn't even go to the vender hall the last two days :yeahno:

It will be tough to find me in the banner. You could say it's impossible....

Spoiler

I was driving a couple hundred miles away. Was on my way home from the con