Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would the G5 movie have turn you into a brony?

Neo_Shiron

Would the G5 movie have turn you into a brony?  

26 users have voted

1. 1. Would the G5 movie have turn you into a brony?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure. I would give a possible season 1 a try

I think most of use were surprised to end up as fans of my little pony. G4 did a good job to show us that a cartoon about ponies doesn't mean it's bad. To be honest, 11 years ago I would have never thought I'd become a pony fan or even writing pony fanfics but then I discovered mlp by accident and now I'm a brony for 10 years (joined during February 2011, so the second half of season 1).

Even if it's difficult to say, do you think you'd become a brony if the G5 was the first mlp content you'd watch? (So yeah, in this question, G4 didn't happen yet)

Since I only discovered mlp G4 because of the hype and the many fan content, I'd most likely not know about this movie right now, except it would have started hype. However, assuming there would be a hype by now (or I'd see the movie in my netflix recommondations) I'd give it a try. It wouldn't be my first "meant for children" cartoon

It was good but wouldn't turn me into a brony yet. However, I'd be curious and give a possible series a try

• Brohoof 1

I think it might have, or at the very least encouraged me to stick around, but without seeing FiM, I don't think I would've appreciated or enjoyed the movie as much as I do.

No. My first hook was the story of the Royal Pony Sisters. It felt like legit mythology inside the fictional universe and the connection of the ponies with the nature of their world further solidified it. It felt like a mythical story inside a real, thought-out fantasy world. The less contemporary atmosphere helped a lot too. The movie didn't even come close. Honestly, I wasn't convinced that lack of magic even was an issue. If something like that happened in G4's world, it would have ended.

• Brohoof 1

I'm nearly 31 now, and would not have the same friend groups at this point that led me to G4 to begin with at this stage in life; I might have watched it on an absolute whim but probably would not have convinced me without the decade of G4 immersion that made me like the franchise. I'd mocked it before; I'd have probably mocked G5 too if G4 hadn't happened. Probably would have enjoyed it, but without the community that held G4 up, that'd have likely been it.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Sure. I love cute animated movies, and A New Generation is perfect for me. I love the characters and animation so much.

I consider my interests in G4 and G5 as kind of separate things. I was already feeling a bit fizzled out of G4 before the G5 movie came out. Now I am absolutely obsessed with G5 and it also rekindled my love for Friendship is Magic. Even if I had never been a G4 fan before, I would still be a fan of G5.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This is something hard to contemplate. Would the movie still be coming out now or back in 2010? 

If it's now I'd want to say no...maybe?? If it was back then I would say yes.....probably. 

The big thing that got me about FIM was literally that: "Friendship is Magic." Friendship was always something important to me I but feel like I was never understood. Then I watch FIM and all these ideals that I've held close to my heart: loyalty, honesty, kindness, generosity all put together along with Pinkie Pie's laughter (that element got me less but Pinkie Pie's character definitely did), culminating in this literal representation of friendship was what my little heart needed. 

FIM was the longest show I saw at the time in 2015 (like 120 episodes). I never watched long shows before that and only reason I did was because FIM was literally the best. 

FIM helped me reveal alot of things about myself and helped me to truly embrace my innerself or at least a significant portion of it. 

I bring all this up because if I found another show to watch like She-ra, or Steven Universe, Sound! Euphonium, etc. that hit me the way FIM originally did then those shows would probably be the thing that filled a great portion of my heart that in 2021 seeing this new generation film coming out, I probably wouldn't have checked it out. But let's say I did. I probably still would like it and maybe it'd make me curious to see what happens next but I doubt it tbh, because I'd probably be hungry for a different kind of show etc. 

---------

If a new generation came out back in 2010 instead of now. I probably would still be a brony. This is going off the assumption that 5 years of content would be out by the time I checked it out in 2015, it was good content, and bronies were a thing. It probably still would have hit decently hard and made me intrigued to see what happens next. I probably wouldn't have been as enamored with it as I was with FIM but still significantly I think. 

You know,  I'm not to sure in truth on this one.  I mean I liked the movie overall but gen 4 put a lot into their world building and the mane 7 as time went on.  And the style of the cartoon caught my eyes from ep one I watched.  The movie was interesting but its like getting half a egg roll of what it could be. 

• Brohoof 1

The only reason I looked at the show was because of memes death battle and fan content. Then when I watched the show and it had it's own mythology... that's what made me stay I think. It turned out to be pretty good and weirdly realistic. The way everything worked made sense. Pinky's normal wacky cartoon weirdness was called out often.

Honestly, probably yes! But in this alternate world, I would have had to been in a situation where I was shown the movie or had to watch it for some reason, because I probably wouldn't have actively sought it out. But yeah, it was a really cute movie, and honestly very enjoyable. If there was also a corresponding rise in online content about it, I think it would have been as likely to make me interested in the franchise as G4 was.

sunny-starscout-izzy-moonbow.gif.477aedba1cf4f70dd7ce11abcec8997b.gif

Sadly, no. As cute and genuine as the G5 movie was, its setting didn’t have the imagination and vision that G4 did, and characters and motivations being rather… thin means there’s rather little to feel that it’s something to become a fan of. 

That, and 3D animation generally turns me off, as I feel it doesn’t really add much to most stories that would have otherwise been in 2D. 

• Brohoof 1

No, it would have turned me into a cupcake :ooh:

Spoiler

pinkie_pie_in_a_cupcake_by_cloudyglow_dcs9zvp.thumb.png.919847c3a96227953f4fc8b98677ec0b.png

Probably not. To be honest - neither would FiM on its own tbh. I came across the fans doing memeish things on icanhazcheezburger or something. That made me wonder 'why are there all these ponies?' so then I looked it up and found Equestria Daily and that made me wonder even more. Then I watched Friend indeed and hated it but I kept watching and fell in <3 I don't see to much sudden gen 5 pony stuff or hear about bronies generally browsing the internet so I doubt I would have started wondering. Can't rule it out though. I always liked Disneyish sparkly things with songs :P   

No.  Not only would I not have checked it out or even so much as known it had released had I not already been in the fandom, but had I actually come across it I probably would have regarded it as being kind of like a Pixar film, but less memorable.  As it stands, I think it's alright.  I was entertained enough to watch it all the way through.  I remember FiM's pilot grabbing me in a way that this movie didn't though.  While my line of thinking at the time was that I could go either way with whether or not I wanted to continue watching the show, I obviously made the decision to keep going.  I can't say I would have felt the same about ANG.   I wouldn't have hated it or anything, but I also wouldn't have felt compelled to want to check out an accompanying series afterwards.  I am planning to continue watching, sure, but only because I'm down the rabbit hole already that is the world of MLP, and have even managed to sit through the vast majority of G1-3 content.  

• Brohoof 1

Answer is no. G5 was an entertaining movie, just like many others. However, as such, it wouldn’t have captivated me enough to invest so much on it. Hell, FIM didn’t made me a brony at first either. It took an evil bug queen invading a wedding to do so :dash:

• Brohoof 1

I am not sure if it is a no, there is only one movie and yes that one movie would not have turned me a brony however maybe if there were some episodes. Though no, whatever it is that made the fourth generation so special is not something you see in the fifth generation honestly. Remembering back to the early days seeing Derpy jumping on that thunder cloud saying  "I just don't know what went wrong" somehow fills me up with nostalgia and warms my heart. It was a good movie and I enjoyed it sure. Yet unlike the fourth generation of my little pony that we love so much it isn't as captivating as the show was. Perhaps that is because I keep comparing to the fourth generation but it felt more like a random netflix movie. Right at the first episode I watched of my little pony I knew I wanted to watch more of it. Having been introduced to it in 2012 it really came to me at a moment that was just right for me to become a fan of it.

I know or I am sure that many of the fans wished that they could somehow recapture the magic in the movie. Yet it is impossible the magic was there in that show and it just was there it captivated us and many others that then came together to essentially fight the status quo no ponies are not just for girls. They are also for guys, bros who like ponies. We are the bronies. You know you couldn't so much as go online or anywhere without seeing bronies and the fandom it was such a unique experience that I really wanted to see in the movie in the next generation of ponies. We have a fandom that is pretty special to many people so I am sure that the fandom will be living on for as long as there are fans of the show.

I don't really know, this is a first time that the movie came along and started the new generation of ponies. When I first started watching generation 4 it was after the princess Twilight controversy. Like, I remember people saying "would you stop liking Twilight Sparkle if she ended up changing her body?" :ooh: Something like that.

I'm not sure. 

The original show gets credit for raising the bar, as well as being the launching point for the Bronies.

However, the new movie was an improvement in several areas.

In a best case scenario I believe the relationship between G4 and G5 will be the same as Star Trek The Original Series and The Next Generation. There will be room in the fandom for both, but whichever one you prefer will be fine with everypony.

I'm surprised by the number of people saying they wouldn't have become Bronies from G5 alone. That's okay because I can't speak for everypony.

Personally, I'm hoping that when a full animated series comes around the Brony fandom will have a remarkable second life. :worry: Mostly because I left the fandom too early and everything awesome in it happened without me.