Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Is it okay to support the work of a person who is considered terrible?

phantompone1148

Just because the creator of a game, cartoon, or art is a awful person does NOT mean the stuff they made should be hated.  

29 users have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the situation

Just because the creator of a game, cartoon, or art is a awful person does NOT mean the stuff they made should be hated.

Let me explain: you wouldn’t want to support a terrible person, correct? Some interpret that supporting their work is supporting that individual. Though, in my opinion I don’t think you should be shamed for liking something to happen to be made by an awful person as long as you separate the art from the artist. 

@phantompone1148

The section Sugarcube Corner is designated for discussing FiM indirectly. Your topic is not related to MLP let alone FiM in any manner. It has been moved to Media Discussion with the appropriate tag.

Also, the title has been changed to give proper context.

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Is it okay to support the work of a person who is considered terrible?
1 hour ago, The Wife of Adaman said:

@phantompone1148

The section Sugarcube Corner is designated for discussing FiM indirectly. Your topic is not related to MLP let alone FiM in any manner. It has been moved to Media Discussion with the appropriate tag.

Also, the title has been changed to give proper context.

Sorry about that, I meant to put it in here

• Brohoof 1

I mean if I stopped watching things because people involved turned out to be terrible people, it would have been impossible for me to be a wrestling fan

• Brohoof 2

I decouple the work from the person

For one, I am not really interested in what the person does when not working, so I do not look for that kind of information. However, sometimes I can find out that the person is bad, but that would not change my opinion about the work. If I really like some music and then find out that the singer likes to, say, strangle kittens in his free time, well, I hope he gets punished according to the law, but I also hope he gets to finish and release his new album first. 

• Brohoof 2

I was in the situation a few times myself. I discovered a cute video game online and wanted to play it, but I discovered that one of the developers said horrible things towards transgender people. It's some time ago, so I don't remember all the details. Ironically, the game itself has a positive message, I read. But I still never bothered to buy/play it and I will never.

Another time I was watching a YouTuber I really like. Some of his "private" dialogues were leaked and people started to call him "Nazi" and things like that. Later he regretted what he said in those conversations and apologized. And since then all the stuff he made was only positive and supportive, that's why I'm still watching him. :)

I’m going to go off of my own experiences here. For me it depends on the context of what the “bad person” did. I completely avoided all Mandopony songs and content because he did something intentionally bad thinking he could get away with it. I lost respect for him after that which made it hard to listen to any of his songs. However, when Scott Cawthon was cancelled on Twitter for his political donations, I didn’t up and boycott FNAF because even though I may not understand or support what he did, to me it seemed like he wasn’t being a bad person, he just made a bad decision.

Corporations are where it gets confusing though because if you really think about it, there’s always something wrong or “evil” within a corporation, including Hasbro (this opinion mainly seems to lie within their “buy our toys” scheme, which you can’t really blame a toy company for). I follow corporations like Disney for example and even though there’s been things that have made them notorious, I’ve never thought to boycott them because even if staff have or are currently making bad decisions, it isn’t enough to turn me away since a majority of those incidents are involving individuals, not the corporation as a whole. 

• Brohoof 4

It really depends. What is a bad person? A person who made a few mistakes? A person is is hurting others?

I really don't like people that hurt others.

But when talking about a game or other creative stuff, there are usually more than one people behind it.

• Brohoof 2

If they're alive and making money off of it, then I think we should definitely do our best to not support bad people.

Like if we're talking Richard Wagner or Carlos Gesualdo (a composer from the Renaissance who murdered his wife) then it's different. Although I'm not sure it completely is even with Wagner. Sure he doesn't make money, but being anti-semitic, his music was loved by Hitler, IIRC. Even with a long dead person, you wonder. Is his music still being used by anti-Semitic people? Don't really want to be associating with his music in that case. But generally, I don't think too much of the composers I listen to, as they can't benefit from me loving their music, aside from being remembered forever I guess. lol (Pretty sure my existence isn't doing much to keep them remembered either way)

But modern day people who are rotten? I do my best to avoid them. I'm no saint in this regard, I'm sure. But like J.K. Rowling? I'm not going anywhere near the Harry Potter franchise. And 3 Doors Down after showing their support for Trump? Nope. I stopped listening to them altogether. I know they were conservative slanted and all, but that was just a step too far. It's sad because Here Without You is a darn good song. It's a shame that the artists behind it are rotten.

Too many compromises have been made already. With all sort of pretexts. And the result is always more compromises and more pretexts. Somebody has to embody the principle, or else all you have left are rational animals in descending chaos. There is always a rationalization for a more basic urge. And it is always a lie.
You cannot build truth on a foundations of lies. Or maybe it was the other way around all along. Meanwhile, the ideal that gives order to the inherent nature of life disappears, and the tribe of humanity starts degenerating back into animalism.

So, how much can this go on like that? I want the whole thing razed so that which was lost can be restored.
It is a tragic outcome that such drastic measures are required to put the "children" back in their place. But I have come to understand that this is the language humanity knows best. At first, I questioned his methods. I was too naive. I thought human kind was more like us, and then I started to understand the nature of flesh and what it does to the spirit. I was born, and an absolute mountain of human crap was thrown over me. That is his throne. Imagine having to juggle this zoo. You leave them alone and they blow each other up. They did it before.

I am starting to understand why such catastrophic events were required before. I am disappointed.
But most of all, I am disappointed in myself. This is it? This is who I am? Anyways. A dream was given to them. And they killed it. They thought the dreamer was not real. And they even killed him. Now comes the time to know the other side of his love.

• Brohoof 1

I think it depends on the situation, the work, the person, and your personal convictions and ideals. Is the situation involving that person committing atrocities? Is the work that person made a work about immoral activities or reflects the thoughts of a person who would commit terrible acts? Is the person extremely immoral? And do you personally hold convictions and ideals that you would be going against should you make a decision regarding that situation? Such questions would be good to ask when presented with a situation where you have to choose whether or not to buy a work from a terrible person.

One must also keep in mind that there is no black and white answer to this moral dilemma. Chick-Fil-A offer good tasting food that a large amount of people buy regularly, but Chick-Fil-A supports anti-LGBTQ+ groups and pro-Christian groups. Does that mean that everyone who bought their food on a regular basis is supporting such groups as well? Or how about this scenario: J. K. Rowling has said some hateful words, yet she wrote the Harry Potter books. Does that mean whoever bought her books supports the hateful words that she speaks? These moral dilemmas aren't exactly black and white, but rather they are grey areas that depend on each individual's view of morality.

Ultimately, one should not take this topic lightly, nor should one go to extremes as a response. As I've stated above, it depends on a wide range of variables that determines how one should respond to this moral dilemma.

I’m up for separating the work from the artist. Specially today as it’s trendy to hate on people for phony reasons, like what’s happening to JK Rowling. For me to do the opposite, has to be a pretty extreme situation, like financing drug cartels, or the “special military operation” >_>

• Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

One must also keep in mind that there is no black and white answer to this moral dilemma. Chick-Fil-A offer good tasting food that a large amount of people buy regularly, but Chick-Fil-A supports anti-LGBTQ+ groups and pro-Christian groups. Does that mean that everyone who bought their food on a regular basis is supporting such groups as well? Or how about this scenario: J. K. Rowling has said some hateful words, yet she wrote the Harry Potter books. Does that mean whoever bought her books supports the hateful words that she speaks? These moral dilemmas aren't exactly black and white, but rather they are grey areas that depend on each individual's view of morality.

Though I find this true in essence, I can't help but be humored by how the mentioned two seem to be the favorite whipping boys when "everyone" buys stuff from Wal-Mart and Amazon, companies that literally support child slave labor, and far worse people who have worked on "our" favorite movies have turned out to be pedophiles. 

I know the rules, no serious debates intended to be sparked here, I am literally just saying. :secret:

• Brohoof 5

12 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

One must also keep in mind that there is no black and white answer to this moral dilemma. Chick-Fil-A offer good tasting food that a large amount of people buy regularly, but Chick-Fil-A supports anti-LGBTQ+ groups and pro-Christian groups. Does that mean that everyone who bought their food on a regular basis is supporting such groups as well?

It's actually fairly simple. When you give money to Chick-Fil-A that money is indirectly being given to hate groups. The only thing about this that is grey is that a lot of corporations give money to evil politicians and causes. Sometimes these corporations are the only place we can really go, like grocery stores. As they say "no ethical consumption in capitalism" or whatever. But when it comes to Chick-Fil-A? Very simple. We have no need for them. They're one option out of many. They have donated to some extremely nasty causes and have no remorse after being called out for it time and time again (sure they do PR stunts, but they never actually stop donating, they just make people believe that they have. Very evil.). They aren't getting a penny from me. Not even when I was at universities and had limited choices. They still didn't get a penny from me. Evil corporation through and through.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Though I find this true in essence, I can't help but be humored by how the mentioned two seem to be the favorite whipping boys when "everyone" buys stuff from Wal-Mart and Amazon, companies that literally support child slave labor, and far worse people who have worked on "our" favorite movies have turned out to be pedophiles.

It'd be a pointless endeavor to discuss the actors, but I think at least part of it is in the way that the money is funnelled after the fact. If you don't like Scientology, well... I doubt Tom Cruise is making a cent when you pick up a copy of Top Gun in Walmart's clearance bin. Someone like Rowling is still the nerve center of it all, still churning out material, and H.P. a type of IP that has enough Merch, you'd think it was coming from Disney. Are any of these "pedo" actors out there on Twitter doubling down on their position saying that sex with children is O.K., to the point that they've turned it into their personal crusade?

But to compare it to something like Walmart or Amazon? They already have the world by its gonads, so they know they can do whatever the heck they wants. Any attempt to boycott at the level in which it would have an impact, would do far more harm to the consumers than it would to the company, because nobody can afford the time or the fuel to drive to ten places to do their shopping anymore. A good parallel for that might be a recent increase in gas prices, due to the "boycott" of an entity that has a comparable grip on the economy. It's not a monopoly situation, but it's sure as heck close enough to one.

On the other hand... I don't agree with some of Hobby Lobby's corporate practices. But that doesn't change the fact that their stores are far superior to Joann's or Michael's. In fact it's probably one of the only stores left that I can walk into at the start of December and actually feel the holiday spirit.

As for whether or not it's OK to support an IP if the creator goes all rogue berzerk...

I'd ask everyone in this thread: After having your lives transformed by it, what would you do with MLP if Hasbro or Lauren Faust suddenly went dark-side?

Gonna add my two cents before this thread inevitably gets locked: yes, of course it's fine.

People are also of course free to choose to withdraw support from whatever they want for whatever arbitrary reason they want and that's fine too, but there's no moral obligation to boycott something you previously used to enjoy unless it's an extreme scenario, such as the creator murdering stray puppies for fun in their spare time or something. I couldn't care less about what someone wrote on Twitter two years ago and can't fathom what it would be like to be that invested in what other people think (I can only imagine it must make daily life exhausting), let alone use that as the solitary basis for changing which products or services I consume in my leisure time. But everyone's different, and that's fine.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Envy said:

It's actually fairly simple. When you give money to Chick-Fil-A that money is indirectly being given to hate groups. The only thing about this that is grey is that a lot of corporations give money to evil politicians and causes. Sometimes these corporations are the only place we can really go, like grocery stores. As they say "no ethical consumption in capitalism" or whatever. But when it comes to Chick-Fil-A? Very simple. We have no need for them. They're one option out of many. They have donated to some extremely nasty causes and have no remorse after being called out for it time and time again (sure they do PR stunts, but they never actually stop donating, they just make people believe that they have. Very evil.). They aren't getting a penny from me. Not even when I was at universities and had limited choices. They still didn't get a penny from me. Evil corporation through and through.

Well I really enjoy Chick-Fil-A fries, I don't care whatever groups they support I just want to get good food and I go there whenever I can. I also have a few friends who work there, and they are the nicest people I've ever met. You may have no need to go there - but there are many loyal customers who enjoy Chick-Fil-A, including myself. 

• Brohoof 3