Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E05 - Mane Melody

CastletonSnob

It's Thursday, which means a new episode of MLP: Tell Your Tale!

Title: Mane Melody
Release Date: 
Written By: Ryan Denham
Synopsis: Pipp’s new combination mane salon and karaoke is threatened by a potential bad review.
Note:

• Brohoof 2

For some reason,the episode was titled Mane Melody on the video title, while the credits say the name is Welcome to Mane Melody. The Hindi (and maybe German) title says the name is The Maneficient Five. What exactly is the name?

Great episode btw. Especially loved Phyllis' return.

I think this will be my favorite episode. Despite it being a concept so overused it hurts. It was really funny. I was watching it in class and nearly screamed when I saw Phyllis walk through the door.

• Brohoof 1

More Pipp content, which is good. This episode was a little bit on the simple side for me, but it certainly wasn't bad. I especially enjoyed Pipp's song, even if it did take a little bit to grow on me. I do hope we get a Hitch episode soon though; we have gotten an Izzy, Sunny, Zipp/Pipp, Zipp, and Pipp episode now, so I am looking forward to Hitch being the focus in the future.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, The Recherche said:

More Pipp content, which is good. This episode was a little bit on the simple side for me, but it certainly wasn't bad. I especially enjoyed Pipp's song, even if it did take a little bit to grow on me.

• *Singing* Da-da-da-da-da-da-da Pipp is singing! ^_^
  • Pipp is a "designer" like Rarity but she designs mane styles instead of designing outfits. I've been saying Pipp is Gen 5's Rarity for months.
  • Hello, Phyllis Cloverleaf... :mlp_wat:
  • Zipp is Best "Rainbow Dash" to her little sister Pipp. :adorkable:
Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

This episode actually surprised me, and while it is nothing great (due to being TYT), this episode had some enjoyable aspects.

Starting with the cons this time around, I'll mention that it suffer from some of the same issue all other TYT episodes suffer from like short duration and poor art style. That more so is a flaw with the series as a whole rather than the individual episode though. The actual premise around a newly opened hair solon doesn't interest me (granted, I'm not this series target audience), and the constant appearance of cell phones further diminish the fantastical escapism elements of the franchise. Lastly, the song was very bland and forgettable to me.

Now on to some positives, this episode had the best pacing out of all five released so far. Granted, this is largely due to the premise being nothing special or exciting, but it at least doesn't feel like it is hopping back and forth from gags without giving some breathing room. Another big surprise was Pipp getting actual character development for the first time. This episode showed that she can be overwhelmed and that she is afraid of failure. While it may still be small, this is a major step up for a character who appeared completely two-dimensional prior. Plus, seeing her open a business was unexpected. Thirdly, this episode had a bunch of new background ponies introduced. I think it is cool to see that despite the poor art style, they are at least introducing a lot of new background ponies. Also, seeing Posey make an appearance was a neat nod to G1.

Overall this episode is probably the best written out of the five so far. It has alright pacing combined with character development for the sisters and more background ponies. That being said, it's hard for me to get too invested in this one since its concept isn't one that interests me. Despite my fairly low opinion on the series as a whole, it could be worth it to tune in each week to see if there are still some interesting aspects thrown in, like this episode has.

• Brohoof 1

Glad my suspicion of the plot being a retread of the Equestria Girls short, Five Stars, was wrong. Although I have seen something similar done in another show, I still like how they introduced Phyllis and the way they're making Pipp feel more like a major character now. Nice song too. 

• Brohoof 1

This episode was great simply because we got to see Zipp being a great big sister. The look on Pipp's face when she was able to style her sister's mane, and Zipp's little nod and 'mhmm'. :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

Three things I love about this episode:

Pipp is a hairdresser!

Posey is back!

Zipp looks so cute with bangs!

image.png.ba699bf7f746f5449833b18e42caf095.png

I can just hope that there will be a character that owns this hairstyle.

Maybe, a rival of Pipp's? :kirin:

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

Neat episode! gives me mlp tales vibes. The song is good, i like the background singer designs and it really shows off pipps character. Also if phylis is here, then sprouts grand reapperance can't be far off

• Brohoof 2

17 minutes ago, Rosy Moonlight said:

Three things I love about this episode:

Pipp is a hairdresser!

Posey is back!

Zipp looks so cute with bangs!

image.png.ba699bf7f746f5449833b18e42caf095.png

she looks like when starlight had bangs when she was a filly

fillysg.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I really liked this one because we finally saw some character development on Pip as loving to style hair. Loving Mane hair styles and wanting good reviews fits Pip perfectly. I like how Sunny stepped in to help and Zipp was awesome! It was hilarious to see Philis with a bold spot. I like that Pip is contributing to Maretime Bay by having a salon. 

• Brohoof 1

So… basically the same lesson as “Zipp’s Flight School,” just with a social media angle? Alright. Feels kind of early to repeat a theme so soon. The song is exactly the kind of song I don’t like—mostly speak-singing with generic pop stylings with boring lyrics. Also, I thought the story should have cut off after Phyllis left the shop, Zipp getting her mane styled didn’t add much and stole a bit too much focus from Pipp’s story.
It’s also… interesting that the plot was resolved by just leaving Phyllis’ style the same, but at the same time, “surprise me” usually implies that the customer wants something to genuinely impress her. Thus, Pipp probably could have still salvaged the buzz cut by working around that instead of covering it.

It’s not exactly a bad episode, just not to my taste. I would have picked the middle rating. Sorry, Pipp. 

Edited by OptimisticNeighsayer
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, OptimisticNeighsayer said:

I would have picked the middle rating. Sorry, Pipp. 

2846342.gif

..Thank you for that... rating!

I wasn't put off at least. The song grew on me too.

• Brohoof 1

That was my favourite so far :eager: I even liked the song.

I'm liking these Tell Your Tale episodes a lot. The one thing I really like about this 2D style as opposed to the 3D of the movie is that the characters look a lot cuter in 2D.

Edited by Solar Power
  • Brohoof 1