Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Being a Brony Changed Your Life? How?

jacibobsthebrony

203 users have voted

1. 1. Has becoming a Brony changed your life?

• Yes
    • No

I suppose my life would be on the same path, but it would be a lot more boring. While MLP hasn't really had as big of an impact on my life as Fred Rogers, it's still something that always cheers me up. I can't not smile when I hear Pinkie Pie's smile song.

I'm glad MLP exists. It helps me tolerate the world and a lot more people because of it.

And I have many good friends because of it as well.

I may not know a lot of you, but I'm glad I have the chance to meet you in such a nice way.

Because ponies.

• Brohoof 2

I'd be exactly the same.

Posted Image

Yeah, you read that right.

I was a pessimistic, sarcastic person before. Now I'm a pessimistic, sarcastic person that likes colorful equines.

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised how many people talk depression and how MLP saved them from it. I also was suffering from depression back until around March this year. I come from a relatively wealthy family, but honestly wealth doesn't mean ANYTHING when it comes to happiness. I've done what other people would deem to be amazing things (like flying planes) but honestly, I just didn't care for these things.

For me, I didn't know why I was so depressed all the time. I also cried myself to sleep, and every day I woke up, I never looked forward to the day. I just wanted to keep sleeping forever honestly... I had my ambitions, and I had my accomplishments, but for some reason I was never ever really happy. I began working out in an effort to relieve some stress. It worked, but still I was a horribly sad person. I've always loved racing, whether it be by bike, car, swimming... But namely car racing (the legal kind). Being an 18 year old, I worked my fl8nk off for a car I could barely upkeep with a horrible job (parents don't like me racing, they want me to have a career in classical piano). Having an expensive hobby/ambition at my age is the stupidest thing one could do, right? But It's hard to break old habits.

I honestly never felt happy at all unless I was driving. I used to just cruise around for hours every day, listening to music, just thinking about life and getting away from the world, namely my family and home. I know this is trivial, but for me it's my passion and I've been around cars all my life. A few weeks after I started my horrible job, I happened to come across MLP. And wow. My life REALLY changed after that.

My friend that I game with one day, he linked me to the Living Tombstone's Smile Smile Smile remix, and Alex. S's Party with Pinkie Pie. Needless to say, this got me interested in the show, and I started from episode 1. I remember a long time ago, I tried watching it but I just exited in the first minute. But this time was different, I just kept watching and I actually enjoyed it. For some reason, it just got me hooked. I looked forward to waking up for once in my life I had something to look forward to. And of course, Rainbow Dash became my favorite pony. The sonic rainboom episode, cutie mark chronicles, and the gala episodes really hit my heartstrings. I realized that she shared the same passions as I do, and everything she did was not without reason (like taking naps in the day, seriously, it's to rebuild your muscles after a hard workout). Her dreamer personality made me cry countless times. I'm a dreamer myself, and she was such a huge inspiration for me. She also had similar faults as me, such as being too confident and arrogant sometimes! For once in my life, I could relate to someone!

I was horribly close to commiting suicide MANY times earlier this year. I absolutely hated my job, I lost all my friends (I failed a highschool class so could not graduate the same year), I hated my family, I'm socially awkward (I know I have a great personality inside me, but I'm always too shy and quiet so people don't like me), my hobbies cost too much money, I was just stuck in my room all day on my computer talking on skype with some gamers from across the globe... but I was forcing myself extremely hard because I wanted to discipline myself, become self-dependent, and most of all, I wanted to chase my dreams of becoming a race car driver. Every day before work, I would just watch MLP or go on the communities, remind myself how much I love my passions, how great life really is. Every night after work, I would go jogging/walking to MLP songs for hours, again, to get away from life.

I'm convinced I would be dead if it weren't for MLP. Not only the story of RD in the main show, but the community itself really showed me strength. I saw all these relatively small-time artists, showing off their passions, creating some of the best, the BEST, artwork, music, stories I have ever seen, heard, or read. Overall, I'm now a much happier person. I still have trouble sometimes, waking up, being sad sometimes, being anti-social, but I don't cry myself to sleep anymore, I only occassionally think about commiting suicide, and of course, I got a reason to live... to fly with those great ponies ;) haha!

JJ

• Brohoof 3

Before ponies, I lived a life with little friends, social stress and tons of work. After my friend showed it to me, I have been opened up to a wonderful community of equally loving fans that I can have fun talking and sharing things with.

What do you think your life would be like if you hadn't discovered MLP?

You're definitely talking about the world I don't wanna live in.

There's no life without ponies.

I would be probably dead or sick.

• Brohoof 1

Till I was 15 y old I didn't know anything about myself. I was lost in the world, my own thoughts and my personality. I wasn't depressed I just didn't know anything and didn't think about anything.

Then I started high school and my life suddenly changed( my father died but it isn't the point although I'm sure it had influence on me). I started to be a rebel. I started to be very self-confident. I got hooked up on skateboarding, World of Warcraft and rock music(from punk to metal). Suddenly my life was full and I was way happier then before those changes.

I'm a dreamer till the point of being not much realistic(but I think it helps). I started to have plan for the future. It was the state which in I lived for about 2.5y. Then when I discovered MLP I didn't changed that much as in cases of many people here but it sure helped. I was happy and positively thinking before but MLP added whole lot to it.

Changes ONLY because of MLP:

- very polite

- kindly looking at almost everyone(at least not hostile)

- way happier

- more often smiling

- less caring about people opinions on me

- way more open-minded

- and one more that you would rather not know about(for less open-minded)

So yeah I'm really glad I bumped into MLP and also glad that I had a chance to convince myself that people such as bronies exist and not all faith humanity is lost :lol:

That's all that I have to say right now... If I remember anything that I'd like too add I'll edit it

( Boy am I glad that there's no limit of characters in a post :P )

The end of Summer 2011 is when I discovered ponies (thanks to John de Lancie's tweets and a Victoria II mod) and I was really depressed back then, and the ponies cheered me up, at least somewhat. I got really depressed this Summer again and the delay in starting season 3 didn't help but knowing that new pony episodes are coming has cleared some of it, brought me back here and given me something other than Ancient Aliens to look forwards to.

Well, for one thing, I'd be way more depressed. :( Ponies and Pokemon are what always cheer me up.

If I had never discovered MLP, I would have to say I wouldn't be as happy as I would be now. The show, like I always say, is like an antidepressant. The best thing, next to Pokemon and chicken soup (yummy!).

I also would have been more shy if I didn't start watching ponies. It also gave me the courage to get out there and make friends. It also taught me to have friends who accept you for who you are. I must say, I never knew I'd be here right now typing away on ponies. :P That's how great the show is. I thought it'd just be some six year old show with the same concept as Dora the Explorer or something. But this actually made me smile, laugh, and jump with joy at the same time.

So thanks, MLP! Also, I heard this show changed many people from commiting suicide. That's just great in itself. To those people: Don't give up!

My world would be the same as it had always been. Just plain boring. Let me go back to when I found out about MLP just so I can decide for real.

Alright, now let's say I never signed up for Gamestop Pro Membership and gotten the 12 free Game Informer magazines. Let's say I did sign up but somehow missed the December of 2011 issue. Let's say I didn't read that issue in entirety. Let us say I brushed off MLP like I almost did. If something of that nature had happened this would be my life.

My life would be spent as it always use to be. I would spend my days playing Call of Duty on my xbox, yelling at kids over the mic, pretending I was all that (yes I use to be like that). I would be barley passing in school and wouldn't give a crap about it. I would be getting mad at school alot more, and I mean alot more, and would most likely be depressed alot more often than I am now. I wouldn't care for other people, or care about there feelings. If they got mad let them. I wouldn't love art in the same way I do now, or love music as much as I do now. I wouldn't have found my love of writing and realized I wanted to be a writer one day.

MLP has helped me become alot better of a person, without I would be like what I described above, a miserable person who doesn't really give a shit about life or people. That would not how I would want to live my life so I am quite glad I found MLP.

Depressed, but nowhere anywhere close to suicide. it seems so ilogical. (No offense to any who have had to go through tougher things, im not trying to offend anyone) That and lonely. very lonely. I actually never had a single friend till this came along, Didn't need them... So you could say it keeps me busy, trying to meet people and not look at how pathetic I am...

If I hadn't discovered MLP, I would probably only be a fan of Minecraft (I'm also a big fan of memes. Certain ones, anyway). I also probably would have held my opinion that there is really nothing good on TV anymore, and that the form of media as a whole is dead. Kind of sad. Thankfully, I was introduced to the show. It's really made me a happier person, to be honest, and it inspires me to be my best always. It also reminded me of the importance of friendship (kind of obvious, I know, but still). So thanks MLP, and the people who introduced it to me.

Edited by whoovesfan7698

Not the same person I am today... and probably very very depressed.

Basically... I would be very different... and I would probably be full of sadness... Sounds kinda melodramatic but, yea.

Edited by Flame Dancer.

Great topic, Shining!

Lots of great responses, Everypony!

I have already said a lot about this, but there is one more thing...

Before ponies, I was very aloof and even standoffish. I did not have many friends. I was lonely and knew something had to change. Twilight and friends sort of made the situation clear to me: I had to try to make friends. Well, I did try and that was half the battle. Over the last few months, I have met so many people and all my relationships are warmer and more open. I even made a few new good friends.

"My Little Pony" helped me to turn my life around.

• Brohoof 1

I really got into the fandom a few days before christmas, I had heard about the show before and I've seen quite a few things happening here and there involving ponies, especially 4chan-related.

Anyway, so last year, things at school weren't going my way, bad marks, parents were really restricting and manipulative and I broke up with my girlfriend a few months ago and that still had me in a dip. I wasn't really doing anything anymore, just wasting my life away, went to school, acted like nothing was wrong, got home, and well, it was off to act like I was studying for a consecutive 5-6 hours so my parents would be pleased while in the meantime I was just doing nothing, just staring at walls, watching the clock and counting how many hours I still had to go. I didn't have any hobbies anymore really, I left my guitar and keyboard to gather dust and drawing was something I would probably never get back into.

After a while I decided to check out some of that pony stuff since I had too much time on my hands. I became a brony and discovered the amazing fandom, what it was doing, what it had already done. The amazing artists and musicians. The amount of people who started doing something just by watching this show.

And that's when I realized: I am really wasting my life here. I mean, I was doing nothing, just sitting on my ass getting commandeered by these two persons who call themselves parents, I had given up hobbies I enjoyed so much, I was always too lazy to try things I'd always wanted to try. So I changed all that. I stopped caring what people thought of me, especially my parents and started doing things I enjoyed again, started doing things I always wanted to try. It's one of the main reasons that I got into several dances. It is one of the main reason I got into electronic music so much. It's THE reason I got back into making music and drawing.

So in a way, ponies have changed me from being that lazy ass person into being someone better, someone who does things whatever the others might think. Ponies stopped me from being depressed and bored all the time. Ponies made me start to live my life a little bit more than usual. Oh, and I've probably become a nicer person than I was before. That's what this show and this fandom has done for me, and I wish to return that one day, just gotta figure out how.

• Brohoof 2

These adorable, brightly-colored ponies are helping me to break an addiction that I've been trying to give up for years. Until about a week ago, I basically thought that hope was lost in that mission. Then season 3 aired, which for some reason sparked something inside of me (I'm not sure how and why, because I wasn't even too crazy about the Crystal Empire episodes).

Just the hope that I finally could break this addiction has restored both faith and confidence in myself (things that I tend to be lacking in).

• Brohoof 1

My love of ponies gave me confidence to speak my mind no matter what people think of me. For example, knowing I'd receive hate because of my love of ponies taught me that what other people think isn't always the most important thing. Sometimes you just gotta do what makes you happy. :)

• Brohoof 1

I like to ask this to many of my brony friends, the question that is; "How has being a brony changed you as a person, or has improved your personality/skills"

I have seen many cases were MLP:FIM has made people happier and brought much joy to them, or how people have honed much on their talent because of their love for MLP.

For me, I must say, I would have never gotten were I am in my love of sculpting and drawing. Being on DeviantArt and my friends helping was a big impact on my art, but My Little Pony was a HUGE help. I never drew equines

I was that person that only drew cats and wolves (Everyone had that stage, I know, you know.) and I was never good at it. But when I started drawing ponies, I started drawing other animals, like deer, rams, other canines, other felines, rodents. etc And I discovered my true favorite animal because I learned to take risks.

I also met some of my best friends through this fandom. And I would just never be the same person without MLP;FIM

Now that I have shared my story, how about you guys? How did it change you as a person, or has helped you in some way?

:D

• Brohoof 2

For me, i've become a lot more friendly towards people. But where it does hit me most is my issue on social interaction. I'm a lot like Fluttershy, i'm really.... well... shy. But I have been noticing that since i've joined the herd, i've had more progress talking to stranger n' things.

So yeah, it's helped in a way. :lol:

• Brohoof 2