Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much do you love Derpy Hooves?

~SadisticFluttershy~

How much do you love derpy hooves?  

204 users have voted

1. 1. How much do you love derpy hooves?

• Yes!!!! I Just love derpy soo much!!
    • No ofcourse not!

I think derogate hooves is an essential part of the random. She was a shout out to us. That's a big deal. I love derpy. She tries her best but still seems to. mess things up. I accept her even though she is like this. She is also soooo adorable. There is a animation called "Whippy Hair" on my little brony. It is one of the cutest things ive seen. You should look for it. Anyways derpy is a shoutout to us. We should embrace the thought. If great things like derpy hooves are put in the show for us,think about what's in store for season 3!

• 2 months later...

I just adore that pony soo much! I think some of the reasons besides being cute (as any other character) is perhaps a celebration of imperfection, that everyone has their flaws that make us all unique. She's googely-eyed and silly but shes still cute just as anyone else, which that seems so speak to me. Different and strange is OK.

Besides the reason I have for myself, everybody else has different reasons.

I think she's adorable and really reminds me of a friend I had when I was younger (as well as my brother, but he has a bit of Pinkie Pie in him too...) I really, truly fell in love with her when I saw the Dr. Whooves and Assistant on YouTube :3

(watch first episode here :D)

I don't hate Derpy, I just don't really care to be honest. I came kinda late to the fandom, so I might have missed something but I never really understood the Derpy obsession. Sure she's cute and it can be kinda fun to look in the background and go "Oh, it's Derpy" but I'm never going to understand people who have her in their top 5 character list, in place of much better designed and developed characters. I have liked fics that portrayed her as a mom who loves her daughter, but I haven't seen anything that I feel justifies her popularity. Maybe a Derpy fan can explain it to me.

• Brohoof 1

Dahell?

NO.

She's my friggin least favorite character, above all the horrors of the world: Big McIntosh, Braeburn, Rainbow Dash, etc...

Yes, I indeed detest Derpy Hooves. Or Ditzy Doo. Or whatever her stupid name is now.

I refuse to even participate in a discussion about this....this creature! *turns away*

Edited by Clarity
  • Brohoof 2

I love Derpy Hooves with a passion, a fiery love of a thousand suns. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of Being and ideal Grace. I love thee to the level of everyday's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. I love thee freely, as men strive for Right; I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise. (That is right, I just went Elizabethan times on you.)

In other words, I love Derpy as much as she loves Muffins. As much as 10,000 Derpy's love muffins.

Edited by clue
  • Brohoof 1

Not very much. She would have been utterly forgettable to me if it weren't for the incessant screaming of her fans. That's not to say I dislike her or her fans, of course, just that I have no idea why she's so damn popular.

Same goes for other famous background ponies like Octavia and Vinyl Scratch.

I love Derpy Hooves with a passion, a fiery love of a thousand suns. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of Being and ideal Grace. I love thee to the level of everyday's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. I love thee freely, as men strive for Right; I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise. (That is right, I just went Victorian times on you.)

In other words, I love Derpy as much as she loves Muffins. As much as 10,000 Derpy's love muffins.

Shakespeare was around long before the Victorian era, you realize. About 300 years before. You meant Elizabethan.

As for being on-topic, no, I don't like Derpy, precisely because she is the "connection between the fandom and Studio B" that many people cite as a reason for liking her. I feel that pandering to the brony fanbase interferes with the creative process and story telling that produced such a sensation as this show in the first place. I have a feeling (impossible to substantiate) that if Lauren Faust was still in the driving seat, Derpy never would have been thrust into the foreground like that. I mean, see what happened when they did put her in? The world almost blew up in the ensuing chaos. Discord was pleased that day.

As for fanon, it irritates me when I let it, but people will do what they wish.

Beyond that I don't have too many particular thoughts about the character one way or the other. No solid headcanons, so to speak. But I do like to consider her intelligent, if clumsy, and strong-hearted, if at times a bit too bouncy or full of energy. She deals with her disability without letting it affect her lifestyle too much, and although she sometimes has to deal with strong emotions, she doesn't let them rule her. (I also, admittedly, like to picture her with Pierce Smoulder/Baldodumbrat's fan voice, just because I think I like that voice for her so much.)

So you have firm impressions of her character, her way of life, and a preferred fan voice for her? Sounds like solid headcanon to me. ;) And that's okay. Edited by Full Spectrum

Shakespeare was around long before the Victorian era, you realize. About 300 years before. You meant Elizabethan.

As for being on-topic, no, I don't like Derpy, precisely because she is the "connection between the fandom and Studio B" that many people cite as a reason for liking her. I feel that pandering to the brony fanbase interferes with the creative process and story telling that produced such a sensation as this show in the first place. I have a feeling (impossible to substantiate) that if Lauren Faust was still in the driving seat, Derpy never would have been thrust into the foreground like that. I mean, see what happened when they did put her in? The world almost blew up in the ensuing chaos. Discord was pleased that day.

As for fanon, it irritates me when I let it, but people will do what they wish.

So you have firm impressions of her character, her way of life, and a preferred fan voice for her? Sounds like solid headcanon to me. ;) And that's okay.

My, well now don't I feel like a idiot.

I just like Derpy because she represents those in the world who have things such as autism. For example, people like the Disney Princesses, they have only recently added an African American Princess. You don't see a Disney Princess with out limbs, correct? It's just a character that shows light into differences in people. But I respect your opinion and I personalty like Derpy.

• Brohoof 1

My, well now don't I feel like a idiot.

Sorry, I didn't intend to make you feel stupid or to show you up. It's an easy mistake to make, I had to look it up on Wikipedia myself.

I love her thiiiiiiiis much: ( :lol: /)

She is perfect the way she is, not at the forefront but you know she's always there being her derpy self. A speaking role every once and a while is best (I hope Hasbro hasn't silenced her forever! At least we have her Youtube account though.)

@@Finesthour,@@Twiliscael, @@Jokuc, @@Clarity,@@Shankveld,

Here's what I don't get. When it comes to anything else involving the fandom, it's fine and loved. When it comes to background ponies however, it's like fanon isn't worth a grain of salt.

In the show, yes, she does have a very lacking personality and offers very little. But in the fandom, she can offer so much more.

In fact, I could say she has more personality than both Applejack and Fluttershy combined.

About her being a bandwagon effect.

It is more like how this fandom usually gets more people then what you guys are thinking of. Someone heard about this group of people who liked the show, and then they check out the show themselves.

Kinda the same with Derpy. Someone heard about them, they check out her fanon, then they like her and develop their own head canon.

Now, if you have managed to actually read through this, I need to say something. I'm not a raging fanboy. In fact, I don't even like Derpy that much myself. This isn't even about if you like her or not. If anything it's more about why you think everyone shouldn't like them as much as they do now. However, there is one question that is always pops up in my head at the mention of Derpy.

Why does canon matter more over fanon when it comes to background ponies?

The thing is. We are a fandom. As a fandom we make things. Take out background ponies, and you could've very well took out half the fandom's made content.

Also, I think most people think that Derpy became popular because of her derped eyes. While that is true, it was more so because she was a gold mine. In creativity I mean.

They really didn't have that much to work with back then. But there it was, a pony with derped eyes.

So now back to my question. Why do you guys seem to care so much about what happens in the show with her as opposed to the fanon? And if you don't like her fanon, then why don't you explain that?

Lastly, why did I pick you guys? Well, you guys seem to know a lot and I just want more then just just the same old: She is overrated and has no personality. Again, not trying to say your opinion sucks. I could care less about what you think about Derpy. It's more about why.

Edited by Brushie RaccoonBL
  • Brohoof 1

So now back to my question. Why do you guys seem to care so much about what happens in the show with her as opposed to the fanon? And if you don't like her fanon, then why don't you explain that?

I dislike her in the show as well. I dislike her voice, her personality, her design, and her fandom.

There's no really need to rant at us simply because we have a different opinion from you, y'know.

• Brohoof 1

When I became a Brony, I used to love her, and for a while, she was my favorite background character, but she just kept getting used by everybody, it just got annoying, really annoying. Plus creating so much controversy for her speaking role just ruined it, and that is why Vinyl Scratch is now my favorite background character.

I dislike her in the show as well. I dislike her voice, her personality, her design, and her fandom.

There's no really need to rant at us simply because we have a different opinion from you, y'know.

Now, if you have managed to actually read through this, I need to say something. I'm not a raging fanboy. In fact, I don't even like Derpy that much myself. This isn't even about if you like her or not. If anything it's more about why you think everyone shouldn't like them as much as they do now. However, there is one question that is always pops up in my head at the mention of Derpy.

Wasn't trying to. This a legitimate question I have with why it's the show that matters more rather then the fanon.

I still have yet to hear an answer. :/

-snip-

She's a blond pony with crossed eyes, OMG SHE IS DITZY AND CLUMSY.

I wouldn't really call that creativity to start off with.

Also fanon doesn't mean anything to me because it's not real and the majority of the time it's not creativity or good.

I'll write a fic about Derpy being a psychotic baby eater, it's now fanon.

You like her now?

Then there was that whole Derpy being censored fiasco,

which was ridiculous to say the least.

And she is an overrated easter egg, I can't go anywhere without seeing thousands upon thousands of Derpy fanart, when much better characters get pushed to the side.

I usually don't care for Derpy fanboys anyway, there's just a difference in the level of our thinking.

~

I still have yet to hear an answer. :/

Sometimes I have better things to do than instantly respond to everyone who quotes or mentions me

~

Edited by Shankveld
  • Brohoof 2

I will always love Derpy Hooves. What's not to love about her? She's amazing. They need to have an episode about her in Season 3. She's not my #1 favorite pony, but she's definitely in my top 10.

Here's what I don't get. When it comes to anything else involving the fandom, it's fine and loved. When it comes to background ponies however, it's like fanon isn't worth a grain of salt.

In the show, yes, she does have a very lacking personality and offers very little. But in the fandom, she can offer so much more.

In fact, I could say she has more personality than both Applejack and Fluttershy combined.

About her being a bandwagon effect.

It is more like how this fandom usually gets more people then what you guys are thinking of. Someone heard about this group of people who liked the show, and then they check out the show themselves.

Kinda the same with Derpy. Someone heard about them, they check out her fanon, then they like her and develop their own head canon.

Why does canon matter more over fanon when it comes to background ponies?

The thing is. We are a fandom. As a fandom we make things. Take out background ponies, and you could've very well took out half the fandom's made content.

Also, I think most people think that Derpy became popular because of her derped eyes. While that is true, it was more so because she was a gold mine. In creativity I mean.

They really didn't have that much to work with back then. But there it was, a pony with derped eyes.

Lastly, why did I pick you guys? Well, you guys seem to know a lot and I just want more then just just the same old: She is overrated and has no personality. Again, not trying to say your opinion sucks. I could care less about what you think about Derpy. It's more about why.

Well, for me the question is more: Why should I care about Derpy in the first place? I have the same feelings about the other background ponies actually. As for fanon interpretations sure, you can do loads with them but you can do just as much with an OC and with canon characters. I have read fics where I enjoyed the background ponies of course but I'll never understand favoring them over canon characters. I can't understand actually disliking them ( except for Clarity, I can kinda understand her reasoning) either since they're basically extras. Why should a character with 2 minutes of screen time and no character development be revered so much though?
  • Brohoof 3

~

snip

Well, thanks to you two, I think I discovered what is going on.

This is more an issue on what we perceive with popularity.

I see it as, you don't need to work hard or have something horrible happen to someone to deserve popularity. I see it as more, people can like what they want to like, and if a bunch of people happen to like it "without reason," then that's ok.

While you two "I'm guessing" see it as something that has to be deserve. You don't like it when people like something that doesn't have any right to be popular. You prefer the person to have "talent" and to actually have to work for it.

I view Derpy as, ok so many people like her and make fan art of her. So what?

You two "I'm guessing" is viewing it as, Derpy hasn't really done anything in the show itself, therefor shouldn't really be liked as much as she is.