Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if one of the mane six was a colt?

PrinceJehal

I just randomly got the idea that, and stay with me on this one, what if one of the mane six was a colt instead of a mare. Keep in mind that amongst the six of the mthey are the only colt. So I'd like to hear some opinions on how this slight change would affect particular moments in the story for those characters. Here's what I think:

Twilight - If Twilight was a colt instead of a mare, then... He'd go to Ponyville and when Nightmare Moon appears have five mare follow him into the Everfree Forests... For the record, I'm completely winging it as I type this up, so I'm just now realizing how awkward that actually turns out to be. Though Twilight does idolize Celestia.. Almost a bit too much... If she were a he then this would obviously have to be toned down, elsewise be confused as deeper feelings, which actually doesn't sound too bad, but not much of a plot point... And I am immediately reminded of Adventure Time. Moving on from that. The colt Twilight would probably handle "Lesson Zero" a bit differently, though the end result would likely be the same. I don't think there are too many episodes that would be affected greatly with this change, but the Season 2 finale definitely would be, as now you have a different point of view to put into consideration when they're considering why Twilight would be trying to ruin the wedding.

Pinkie Pie - Now if Pinkie Pie was a colt, then his hyperactive personality would be.. Oh dear Celestia he'd be that one guy that everyone knows who's always making bad jokes about everything, even in the most awkward of times, you know that guy? That guy that sometimes you're not sure if you should be paying attention or not, but then you wind up doing so anyways because they're practically impossible to ignore. Not that tehy're attention hogs or anything; they just don't realize they're doing it and you're too nice to tell them the truth until that one epically serious moment when the one person is completely ****** at the world and just snaps at him and makes him feel bad... Yeah, that guy.

Applejack - Okay, this should be easy. If Applejack was a colt then his personality probably wouldn't be affected much. Actually, I don't think there'd really be any drastic change at all if Applejack were a colt instead... Hey, that was easy. I'll get back to this if I think of anything.

[After finishing Rainbow Dash] Actually, I thought of something. I'm not trying to cause controversy on this one, just opening a suggestion that there probably is already a dozen fanfics off but I'm too afraid to check for fear of being right. Anyways, this is for the girls to think about. Just who is Applejack? She's an honest and deep caring character that will always do her best to help her friends. And let's be honest, has she really ever messed up? She's strong and hard-working, and... Yeah, she can pretty much be the ebodiment of karma. She's nice when you are, but... You've seen when she wasn't so nice. The point I'm trying to get across is, how would you feel about a male character with these characteristics? If you ask me a male version of Applejack would probably be quite the ladies' man.

Rainbow Dash - I know what you're all thinking; it's Rainbow Dash, so no change at all, right? Yeah, probably. His personality would stay the same, his opinions wouldn't change, and he'd still be hot-headed at times. The biggest affect it would have is the shipping people are so insistent on for some reason would just become even more popular.

[Have you realized the order I've been doing this in yet?]

Rarity - If Rarity were a colt he'd still be into fashion, but probably a bit less of a dramatic character (or not, it'd probably still be funny). While still designing outfits for female characters, he may also have some attention set on designing for male characters as well. I'm trying to think of specific situations where this would be relevent, but... This is why other people exist. Other people think of things you can't. Other people, help me out here.

Alright, last one.

Fluttershy - I didn't save her for any special reason, and if you figured out the pattern I chose then you know why Fluttershy is last. Coincidentally, this is the one that interests me almost as much as if Twilight was a colt. If Fluttershy was a colt, he'd still be quiet, submissive, and insecure. But while everyone finds Fluttershy cute and adorable, this character would be pittied and, imo, probably even more defensless than Fluttershy is. I can't help but think that this change would put even more emphasis on this character than already exists.

Anyways, that's just what I think. And as I said (assuming you read all that), pick certain episodes and experiment with what differences you think there'd be if any one of these characters was a colt instead. Comment with what you found.

• Brohoof 6

Rule 63, Rule 63 everywhere.

I always hated the idea of gender-bent characters, but seeing as how the Mane 6's counterparts are all given proper attention to develop their personalities within the fandom just like normal characters would, and aren't just used as pin-up material like in most other fandoms when it comes to Rule 63, I actually don't mind. As for specifics, I think the core for their personalities will of course remain, Dusk Shine (Twilight Sparkle) is still a brainy egghead, Rainbow Blitz (Dashie) is still a competitive and occasionally short-tempered speedster, and so on. If anything, I believe the interactions from one character to another would be the largest change. Many of the activities they do, things they say, and ways they do them would alter, with the estrogen being completely replaced by testosterone, so to speak.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 2

To be honest, I wouldn't see much change. I took note in your explanations, but the fans have already made counterparts with full voice lines and models. For example, Dusk Shine and Butterscotch are two of them, replacing Twilight and Fluttershy.

Rule 63, Rule 63 everywhere.

I always hated the idea of gender-bent characters, but seeing as how the Mane 6's counterparts are all given proper attention to develop their personalities within the fandom

*snip*

I believe the interactions from one character to another would be the largest change. Many of the activities they do, things they say, and ways they do them would alter, with the estrogen being completely replaced by testosterone, so to speak.

I don't know if I agree. I don't think having one of the mane six male would completely change the estrogen/testosterone balance as you said. I actually think the interactions would be more "interesting" if one of the mane six was a colt. The obvious choice would be Rainbow Dash, but I would rather see Fluttershy as a colt. Just my opinion. No ponies were harmed in the making of this post.

Edited by FireFox

I don't know if I agree. I don't think having one of the mane six male would completely change the estrogen/testosterone balance as you said. I actually think the interactions would be more "interesting" if one of the mane six was a colt. The obvious choice would be Rainbow Dash, but I would rather see Fluttershy as a colt. Just my opinion. No ponies were harmed in the making of this post.

Well, in my train of thought, it was all the mane Six being altered that would change the interactions & estrogen to testosterone, not just one ^^ If it was just one of them then yes, some interactions would be the only thing that might change or alter.

• Brohoof 1

I think if one of the mane 6 had to be a colt, it would be Applejack. That would be the easiest to pull off. I agree if Twilight was a colt it would be extremely awkward, but if Rainbow Dash was a colt it probably wouldn't change much...

I think if one of the mane 6 had to be a colt, it would be Applejack. That would be the easiest to pull off. I agree if Twilight was a colt it would be extremely awkward, but if Rainbow Dash was a colt it probably wouldn't change much...

Yeah I agree. Applejack is already pretty colt-like, same with rainbow dash.

Anyway, you know who I honestly couldnt imagine as a colt? RARITY.. LOL.. or pinkie.. pinkie is as girly as you can get.. that's just a weird idea when I think about it

• Brohoof 2

I agree about Rarity or Pinkie Pie being very hard to see as a colt. What do you think about Fluttershy as a colt though? I think it would be very interesting to see how it played out.

To be completely honest, when i started watching i thought RD was a dude. Only when she cleared the skies in 10 seconds flat, and Spike said "She's amazing!", did i realise something is wrong. At that point i rewinded about 5 times thinking i heard it wrong.

If RD actually was a colt, there wouldnt be much difference at all. The appearance would be similar, behaviour identical. Even the voice would still fit.

Applejack i can kinda see as a colt, thought some things wouldnt quite fit. Her personality is much cooler as a mare then it would be as a colt.

All the others however, would make the show a tad bit awkward for me, at least if their personalities stayed the same (especially Rarity, that would just be wtf...)

Fluttershy however, would have a preety awesome jazz voice...

• Brohoof 1

The concept of Rarity being a colt is the I found the most amusing, because you have a male character being the one to design all the dresses for his friends, be that neat-sensitive guy that makes others litterally do his dirty work, and will complain unashamedly when put into conditions that are less than satisfactory. Snobby-rich kid anyone?

As I stated, Rainbow Dash would provide the least dramatic change if becoming a colt. Though Applejack or Fluttershy would makes things interesting. Probably more so Applejack.

As for the "If Twilight was a colt" fanfic. I can't find it with a quick-google search, but if I find the time I may look for it. Sounds, at the very least, like an interesting read.

I don't really think it would change a whole lot. It might change a very small amount of things on some of the characters but honestly it would be pretty small. And for someone like rainbow dash it wouldn't probably change like literally at all. Expecially with how alot of people have confused her as being a boy at first.

Just lots of rule 63. That would be the biggest change.

Well...

Rainbow Dash would seem gay.

Twilight...poor guy named sparkle

Rarity... I got nothin'

Pinkie... that would actually still be alright as a party animal.

Applejack... A good fit if it HAD to be a colt.

Fluttershy...just no.

Okay so I've been doing a little research, and I've very confused on this.

Applebuck is the male Applebloom, and the male Applejack is Applejack.

I'm wondering what happened that in all the fandom not a single person could come up with some name differenciation for the male Applejack?

Give me five minutes and Google.

-6 minutes later-

Done. Alexander. It's a type of apple. Know what it looks like? This.

http://hortuscamden.com/images/plants/Apple_Alexander.jpg

If one of the mane six were a colt I'm sure they'd be the dummy of the group. :s

Even Twilight. I can visualize them traveling to some new place and a colt Twilight Sparkle going like.. "WHHHAT IS THIS PLACE?!"

If one of the mane six were a colt I'm sure they'd be the dummy of the group. :s

Even Twilight. I can visualize them traveling to some new place and a colt Twilight Sparkle going like.. "WHHHAT IS THIS PLACE?!"

There's a story written about that, which is where I found out the the male Applejack is still called Applejack. I'm currently reading it.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/755/On-a-Cross-and-Arrow

It's not a light read, I've only started.

• 4 years later...

IMO, best R63 would be On a Cross and Arrow by Conner Cogwork.  I think this is the story that established the standard gender swapped names.

Applejack = Applejack

Dash = Rainbow Blitz

Fluttershy = Butterscotch

Pinkie = Bubble Berry

Rarity = Elusive

Twilight = Dusk Shine

Spike = Spines

I think it works as a 1 shot but wouldn't work permanently for most of them.  Butterscotch & Elusive, these behaviors are acceptable for girls but as guys they come off as homosexuals.  Blitz comes off as a typical high school jock & a jerk. Dusk Shine could work but making the leader a guy probably come off as sexist -the one guy is  the boss? I don't think that would fly.  I'm also not sure how Berry could work.  Having the 1 guy come off as a half wit would draw criticism (Pinkie isn't, but can make that 1st impression).  AJ works as either a guy or a girl.

Rainbow Dash is the only one I can see being a guy. Just because I thought she was a Stallion before I actually watched the show XD

The two ponies I have a hard time imagining as a colt is Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle. When I think of a male Twilight Sparkle, Sunburst comes to mind but he doesn't have OCD, OCD on organizing things has been more represented in the female side. For Pinkie Pie really hard to imagine a guy being that level of joyful.

Edited by cider float

• 2 months later...

@@PrinceJehal,       Well, think one minor but major aspect we're missing here... is if they can still remember being female. If they're just written as opposite gender from the get-go as most fanfics go, then they've had the time to get used to it. If its a spell gone awry or just Blip, and now they're male, well, anyone would panic, right? It is as if some human suddenly woke up with moose antlers! It's clearly not something the victim does naturally, so naturally they would want it fixed!

I bring this up, because of any of the six, Rarity prides herself on her appearance. Suddenly switch gears like that would be an outright horror for her! Sure, I can see her being the most understanding of anypony else who might be transgender or had some operation, but it happening to her, would be a nightmare! Basically as if she suddenly was trapped in only one dress & couldn't ever take it off again. Clearly, it would affect her business as it would put doubts into her customers minds if she still knows what a mare wants if she no longer is one. Fashion isn't exclusive to mares of course, we do have Hoity-Toity after all, but she can't do anything with a form she's never been. Plus, she might take umbrage at being bulkier, bigger & likely sweatier. She has huge closets, a lifetime of her favorite dresses that undoubtedly symbolize a life's work that she not only cannot fit into, but would probably be ridiculed for if she even tried. We've seen her toss fits over much less; this would send her into spiraling depression!

Sure, Dashie is rather butch, but if she's got others constantly reminding her how she used to be a mare she's likely to get alot more defensive about it. As long as she can fly, she's likely to be happy but we all know she loves attention. It's when that attention changes, she looses her cool or breaks down. Image is just as important to RD as it is with Rarity. (*coughIshipitcough*) It wouldn't take her long to see the change as a problem & something others are judging her for. Her gender or sexuality may not matter too much to her, but I get the feeling she'd be quick to jump at your throat if you start teasing or mocking her about it. Suddenly turning stallion would probably be just the trauma to push Dash from combative to outright violent.  I can totally see her bullying Twilight until she finds a "cure."

Oh, oh right. Fluttershy, I keep forgetting her.

This I'd have to debate. I get the feeling that when a mare is all shy & cowardly its considered cute or at least a work-around. But if it's a stallion, then its something shameful & pitiful. Besides that, come on now, do you think a sudden, complete physical overhaul to someone as panicky as Fluttershy wouldn't leave some massive mental scars? The previous two might have trouble coming to terms with it, but poor Flutters would require some deep therapy to get over it. She got scared & had various panic attacks just imagining people finding out she had a deeper voice, a change this noticeable would probably kill her!

As for the other three, it probably wouldn't affect nearly as bad.

Pinkie would probably just treat it like some costume or nifty adventure. It wouldn't interfere too much with her being friends with everypony around town, so why should she give it a second thought like she does anything else? Buuuut then again... considering how the majority of the population is female, there might be a notable change of opinion of some stallion constantly pestering all the women around town but... well that's never stopped her before, has it? I see her quickly becoming that one guy friend who never stops making horrible sex-related jokes , but then again, she kinda strikes me like that already, its just that the show's rating doesn't show us that part of her!

Succinctly enough, don't think Applejack would care about it enough unless it somehow interfered with her work. Though, considering her workhorse genetics,  I can see her sitting down for a heart to heart with Big Mac about suddenly becoming another stallion eye-candy about town. She got a bit awkward when Trenderhoof started falling for her, I can imagine suddenly getting dreamy stares from 90% of town would take some getting used to!

As for Twilight... I see even less of a change there. She's rather bookish to the point of shunning what others think of her anyway. Unless its a test of her abilities (and she usually sees things like that often) she doesn't seem to care about what others may think of her. Heck, we first see her actively sprinting away from some mares that only wanted to invite her to a party. She's kinda oblivious! That's where most of the romantic comedy in that fan-famous fanfic of ...uh... The Something Somethings of Dusk Shine, came from. She'd just be far too socially awkward & more concerned with her assignments than all the new attention for the new stallion in town. If anything, she'd probably just see it as something else to test, measure and play arou-... *cough*

After all, Twilight kind of represents the nerddom of the fandom. We already see her as making her own slashfics or reading other such dubious stories, so I wouldn't doubt her bookish little mind has already contemplated the idea.

It wouldn't really change much in term's of their personalities, but then it might change the status quo when it comes to romance.