Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony Movie Discussion

Espionage

This alicorn business had me thinking about the plot for a new movie in the future. What if the move focuses on Celestia and Twilight's relationship as mentor and student. How long would you want the movie to be. Do you have another plot in mind?

I don't want a movie. A movie doesn't really work too well in the context of the show.

If we must have one... perhaps we could have an anti-mane 6? The greatest enemies of each of the ponies.

Pinkie = Gilda

RD = Lightning Dust

AJ = Flim and Flam? Or just one?

Flutters = Iron Will (Not Discord due to him being OP)

Rarity = Head Diamond Dog?

Twi = TRIXIE OR ELSE I NO LONGER WANT.

Or just something to do with a villain alliance.

I gotta agree with OP, I'd love something focusing on Twilight and Celestia's relationship as student and mentor.

As for a plot? At this point I'd want something fully explaining Alicorns. Maybe something involving Luna and Celestia's past before they came to Equestria and became it's rulers. And it's coming back. Probly the reason Celestia seems to have been strengthning her guard up with the addition of Discord and now Alicorn Twilight.
Edited by himanuts
  • Brohoof 1

I feel like if they were able to do a movie, maybe the writer would be able to develop the characters better and maybe even come with a good story. 

As for the story of the movie an anti-mane 6 does sound like an idea, but it feels kinda weak. None of the 6 really have rivals or made enemies during their episodes. Maybe characters we have not seen or bring back an old villain.

Now if they went with the comic book story I feel that would make a great movie. The 6 doing trying to get to Queen Chrysalis castle and save the CMC. Maybe add is some other characters for them to save.

• Brohoof 1

The only way a movie could work would be to have it fit some of the elements that make a great 2-part epsiode but with even more material. There has to be a lot of drama and some real peril, good vilians (not like King Sobra / Nightmare Moon cliched style, more like on Discord / Chrysalis level), travel outside of ponyville (hopefully some place new). Some great songs of course (maybe even involve some talented brony musicians for the soundtrack even), all of the mane 6 involved and with chances to shine and definitely would need to please bronies who know the show AND moms, dads, teens who don't (so cater all ages and sexes as the show HAS done in the past) and with people who might not be familiar with the show. I would also recommend some twists and turns and a really well done ending. I mean this would be there ONE chance to expand the show out to people who've been scared to check it out. If they did it well (like in the season 2 opener and finale) they really could get a whole new batch of fans on board.  

• Brohoof 1

I would like to see Chrysalis return as a villain for the movie. I think it would make a great revenge story for her. She could even come close to taking over equestria. She can somehow imprison celestia and luna and the mane 6 have to save them. I think it would make for some great suspense. Have the ponies almost fail and then rise up from their failure and overcome what ever obstacle is in their way.

who agrees with me? Or would you prefer a new villain or someone else

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

With a movie there's ninety minutes to tell a tale instead of the forty-four of a two-parter, so it'd better be bigger than what can be told in the course of a an episode or two, otherwise it'll be packed with padding and spinning it's wheels most of the time.

I know the standard role for a movie-of-the-show is to retell the show's premise, but in this case it would lead to sixty-odd minutes of the ponies not liking each other for some contrived reason. And it has to be contrived; if there was a solid reason to split up the team, that would be at the center of the plot, not friendship or harmony or whatever glues them back together for the climax.

I'm more in favor of something suitably grandiose and apocalyptic where all of Equestria is in danger. I'm thinking something similar to The Farthest Shore or The Neverending Story. The life and magic is going out of the world, everything is fading or failing an inch at a time, and no amount of strength or skill can save it. It feels like a better fit for FiM than having a simple "bad guy" to fight and plays up the value of the less tangible qualities of the cast.

• Brohoof 1

I vaguely remember reading that a movie was planned... Not sure what plot I'd want though. Obviously I want some action but I'd like some of the slice of life stuff too... I'm going to have a good think on this.

I do have an instant idea, but it'd need work and would probably go down like a sack of bricks with the community.

My idea is a backstory to Sombra, a good unicorn corrupted while he tries to protect the empire from some sort of attack.... Although that sounds a bit like Star Wars Episode 3 lol.

My idea is a backstory to Sombra, a good unicorn corrupted while he tries to protect the empire from some sort of attack.... Although that sounds a bit like Star Wars Episode 3 lol.

Yes. Yes it does. The main pitfall there is that it's a downer story. Sombra would slide down the slippery slope an inch at a time as he justifies ever-worse methods in service of a cause he must place on an ever-higher pedestal in order to perform said justification. While I don't think it's necessarily a bad story, I just don't know if the world is ready for Citizen Kane with Ponies.

Warning this is a long post that you probably won't read

I really want to see more of the Background Ponies the whole fandom loves. I was thinking wouldnt it be great if the mane six had backup or sidekicks? the whole thng would go down like this: The mane 6 gets the elements of harmony but while they are doing their sequence the villian and his posse pulls a cheap move and attacks all at once and overpowers them. They go back to their homes defeated and shamed. cue a secret meeting between Luna and six ponies. she assigns them to their comrades
Applejack gets Big Mac-reason is being brother and sister they know each other well enough to compliment their element
Twilight gets Spike or Trixie-reason for Spike is that they are like AJ and BM but share a deeper connection
Rarity gets Spike(if Twilight is paired with trixie) or Octavia-reason for Octavia is that they are both eloquent and perfectionists.
Pinkie Pie gets Vinyl Scratch-reason is that they are pretty much party girls and spread joy thus a compliment to Pinkies element
Fluttershy gets Bruce Willis or Iron Will-reason for both is that they will compliment her element with their fists
Rainbow Dash gets Spitfire-reason being she will enforce her loyalty and hard work thus strengthening her element

Yes. Yes it does. The main pitfall there is that it's a downer story. Sombra would slide down the slippery slope an inch at a time as he justifies ever-worse methods in service of a cause he must place on an ever-higher pedestal in order to perform said justification. While I don't think it's necessarily a bad story, I just don't know if the world is ready for Citizen Kane with Ponies.

Yeah I was thinking something like that as I wrote it. I'm pretty sure that whatever they come up with is going to be good. That's assuming that the rumours of a movie a true.

• 1 month later...

I cant wait for a My Little Pony movie cause it would be awesome and cool. I think that maybe Discord turned bad again and hid the element of Harmony again and then have all the other enemies trying to stop the mane 6 from finding them then have the crystal empire and king sombra return and try to take over again.

• 3 weeks later...

I can think of two plots I'd like to have for a MLP movie.

First I'd like to see how the other mane 5 met before Twilight came to town. What were their lives like when they were growing up? How did they meet each other? Did they hang out on a regular basis before the elements of harmony brought them together?

Second I'd like to see the showdown that happened long ago between Discord and Celestia and Luna. Maybe even a life story for the two sisters. We've been speculating like mad about it, and it would be the perfect subject for an extended episode.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

now im not thinking about ending the show but what if they made a movie to end it,and in this movie the elements of harmony were scattered across equestria hidden in six locations,  twillight and her friends  have  to find them, luna ,celestia and discord join them, because there's a evil so powerful that even celestia, luna  discord cant fight,so this enemy takes the elements and uses their to conjure up an army, this is where chrysalalis and king sombra join discord celestia and luna, and there's a war will this sound like a good movie?

• Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

I say save Chrysalis for the sequel and call it My Little Pony II: Wrath of the Bleak Queen or Revenge of the Heartless or something awesome like that.

Basically Wrath of Khan, but with ponies. It'd be one last effort to take Equestria by Chrysalis, with some darker stories and themes and maybe some backstory for Her Highness before she dies in a firey explosion while trying to take down everypony else with her.

A popular character also has to die at the end of the movie.

I'm only half kidding.

• Brohoof 1

I say save Chrysalis for the sequel and call it My Little Pony II: Wrath of the Bleak Queen or Revenge of the Heartless or something awesome like that.

Basically Wrath of Khan, but with ponies. It'd be one last effort to take Equestria by Chrysalis, with some darker stories and themes and maybe some backstory for Her Highness before she dies in a firey explosion while trying to take down everypony else with her.

A popular character also has to die at the end of the movie.

I'm only half kidding.

hasbro killed Optimus Prime in the movie so I wouldn't count anything out lol.

all kidding aside I highly doubt it because i don't think the show (or possible movie) will ever be mature enough to deal with death

or other dark subject matters.

• Brohoof 1

A possible theory

Though wouldn't a movie have its own Villan.

I'm not saying Crysalis is a bad choice, but this would be a good time to introduce a new villan.

Anyways an interesting concept

Aside from peope saying it may be too mature, remember that this is a film and the ratings could be different. Trust me kids could handle some darker elements and if it was a film I wouldn't doubt that they would add some more darker elements.

They would never call it "forever" that's just a name for when you can't think of a title. The title should relate on a deeper level. Anyway, a movie would be particularly awesome! It's the kind of thing I would be surprised if it didn't happen. If this movie would end the series, I'd want to see all the blanks filled in. Sure people have their head canons, and it will probably utterly destroy every single one, but it would be interesting to see what the writers come up with.

• 2 weeks later...

im just  wondering are  they making a movie? for the show? or are  they not making a movie. because if they do, that will be pretty sweet, seeing new villans, something even more powerful than the elements

• 2 months later...

I really hope that there is an ACTUAL movie (not Equestria Girls!) after MLP: FIM ends. And to be honest, I'd kind of like it to be a bit darker than the Season 2 finale. I want to see Nightmare Moon come back, and I want to see her revert Dischord back to evil. I also want to see the Elements of Harmony get destroyed, I want the Crystal Heart to shatter, and I want to see all of Equestria in ruins.

I know, that probably won't happen, but I want something BIG to happen if they make another movie.