Youtube and the death of user created content

khaine21x3

Your view on the current youtube  

73 users have voted

1. 1. Does it suck now?

• yes
    • no
    • other

But... adblock disables support for youtube partners. And if they don't get money they can't make a living. And if they can't make a living then :(

*cough*use flashblock instead *cough*

They used to be something when youtube promotes fair competition and doesn't shove their partner's channel in our faces, it might not be such a bad idea to completely destroy them all and bring youtube down.

The most stupid thing that they've done with the new layout is that the box that contained the channels previous videos above the video you're currently watching is GONE.

Why is this gone? I don't want to have to go to their channel to search through their previous videos when they were so readily available before.

I don't mind the aesthetic that much but all practicality has gone, and they'll probably ignore everything I said in the feedback I sent to them. 

For those that have Google Chrome, if you want to just find uploads for your subscriptions I'd recommend using Youtube Video Deck which is a free add-on you can find in the web store.

Edited by Aaramus

They used to be something when youtube promotes fair competition and doesn't shove their partner's channel in our faces, it might not be such a bad idea to completely destroy them all and bring youtube down.

Well. Good luck with that. Since a lot of people get their entertainment from watching youtubers, I don't think many people would be too happy.

At first I despised it. Then after browsing around a little, I got used to the new layout.

I especially like the fact that you can see avatars in comments. That's something they should have always had.

Well. Good luck with that. Since a lot of people get their entertainment from watching youtubers, I don't think many people would be too happy.

I know a lot about propaganda techniques and it wouldn't be hard to convince the masses using religion, conspiracy theories and racism to boycott youtube.It might no be enough to kill off youtube but it'll allow competitors to rise and we'll have more options for streaming sites.

Your topic title is misleading. I was expecting a topic about "The death of user-created content," and instead got a topic about the new Youtube layout. (And Government propaganda?) Change the title, please.

Anyways, I dislike the new Youtube layout. I wish they had an option to opt-into the old layout. This layout was made for Windows 8, it looks like it would be great for a touch-screen, but it's not very good for my laptop screen.

Edited by Urdnot Pinkie Pie

Your topic title is misleading. I was expecting a topic about "The death of user-created content," and instead got a topic about the new Youtube layout. (And Government propaganda?) Change the title, please.

Anyways, I dislike the new Youtube layout. I wish they had an option to opt-into the old layout. This layout was made for Windows 8, it looks like it would be great for a touch-screen, but it's not very good for my laptop screen.

It's related because they made so many changes to it that it's very hard to find content by non youtube partners.Now all you can do is type the exact search words and go through pages of related videos to find what you're looking for.

It's related because they made so many changes to it that it's very hard to find content by non youtube partners.Now all you can do is type the exact search words and go through pages of related videos to find what you're looking for.

I think you are overreacting. Just because something is now harder to find, doesn't mean it's dead.

If it was dead, all of the videos would be gone, and they're not.

• Brohoof 3

They have the "Recommended channels" which is annoying...

VEVO is also highly annoying and ads on many videos is also annoying. Some people argue that it's how they get their money, that's fine, but I hate constantly being bombarded with ads telling me what to buy, think, feel, react, wear, and live.

It's a lot different then what I was use to over 4 years ago, but they have also made good changes since then.

Take for example when they introduced HD video abilitys on their site, at the time I didnt care, as for waiting half an hour for a 1 minute video to load on a screen that couldn't even handle HD wasn't my thing... But I knew that others may enjoy it.

The removal of the 5 star rating system and replacing it with an "up/down" voting system I think is an example of a bad change. The layout changes have always angered me, but (because of Jagex) I'm use to changes that anger me that I can't do anything about and that don't get changed even if most people hate it. (EoC Jagex? Really?! This is why you're losing money and the amount of players online on average on RuneScape has gone from over 500,000 to the low 100,000 and under that, take a lesson from Coke)

I think you are overreacting. Just because something is now harder to find, doesn't mean it's dead.

If it was dead, all of the videos would be gone, and they're not.

I would know if FPS russia or Epic meal time made a new video because it would be on the front page but I wouldn't know if some new user uploads a video because I would have to spend over 5 minutes to find it and most people just wouldn't do that.It creates a barrier for new uploaders and non youtube partners.

Dead in the case isn't completely gone but rather having very little views due to how hard it is to find them.Most people only get to watch what youtube wants them to watch.

I sort of agree with Khaine on the part of difficulty finding new users who could have very good content but sometimes i happen to stumble upon a video i like and i found most of the people im subscribed to that way (you dont always need to search for people...) i highly doubt that everytime your on youtube your just looking for days on end for a new person or 10 to subscribe too? but it would be nice if they didnt put partner only videos on the homepage (which i hardly ever look at anyway~). 

but again purely my opinion.

Though i highly doubt its government propaganda..

The layout is bad,the content is awesome. I mean, we have Turnabout Storm. Turnabout Storm is the whole reason i'm ON youtube. Each week I check for Turnabout Storm...

dang waiting for part 4...

I think it's ultimately the users that are causing the death of youtube and I am perfectly fine with the layout considering they provide the entire site on merely ad revenue. Sure the new layout has a few bugs as it is still pretty young, which is why there is a "SEND FEEDBACK" button on the bottom right corner of your screen! Use it!

Anyway, back on topic. It is getting more and more difficult to find a good channel to subscribe to. It's actually quite remiscent to the justin tv retro gaming community. It's still there, but it really fragmented once the site changed their focus.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 3

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the new layout.  But, then again, I can't say I hate it either.  I felt pretty much the same way with the last layout change.  I think once everyone gets used to it, people will learn to enjoy it.  As for the prioritizing of the big names and smothering of the small names....  I can't really agree with YouTube for that.  Another thing that always bothered me, though, is that when a new layout is implemented, it thinks all the videos the subscribers posted that I've watched are now suddenly new. 

I haven't encountered the white space everyone keeps referring to, but I'm on a 1024x720 laptop, so it probably won't be an issue for me. 

All in all, faggy move on YouTubes part for pushing the huge names down our throats.  Not to mention the 'related videos' went to 'reccommended videos' during the last layout change.  The reccommended list still is quite related to what I'm currently watching, but it puts a lot of other crap, such as Tobuscus (who I don't watch) and PewDiePie (who I also don't watch) as the first reccommendation. 

I don't really have a problem with it, but it shows where YouTube's mentallity is at.

Edited by IrOnPUdDiNg

All in all, faggy move on YouTubes part for pushing the huge names down our throats.  Not to mention the 'related videos' went to 'reccommended videos' during the last layout change.  The reccommended list still is quite related to what I'm currently watching, but it puts a lot of other crap, such as Tobuscus (who I don't watch) and PewDiePie (who I also don't watch) as the first reccommendation. 

I don't really have a problem with it, but it shows where YouTube's mentallity is at.

It's funny how that suggestive twilight sparkle video made by Tiarawhy always shows up under recommended whenever I watch an mlp video before the last update.

It's almost impossible to find good non youtube partner channels without reading them from other sites.

At first, I thought there was a problem with my computer, but I realized they actually made the layout that way.

I really liked how it was before. As for ads, just use Adblock. I don't notice anything differently in the realm of advertisements on YouTube.

I don't dislike the new changes.  Actually I like the new Youtube layout except for the obvious white space.  I don't like Youtube celebrities, as they are all people seem to care about.   

I Like the layout of the video pages but it doesn't use the most of space. I can only think that they designed it with tablets and phones in mind despite the fact that there are apps for that and their very own m.youtube.com they could have improved. As for the sub box, its crap. The more clicks I need to see what I've subscribed to is not good design. As for the ads, I've been ignoring ads since modems needed phone numbers so they don't bother me. Unless they're "interactive", but I've never seen those used on youtube. I ignore all "recommended" channels in feeds and as I go immediately to the "uploads only" part of "My subscriptions", I don't see the guff of the "What to watch". All and all, little bit of a downgrade.

I think you may be overreacting a bit.

You assume the ONLY way people have found their favorite channels was through the main page, when actually I find this to be further from the truth.

The only things I've ever found through the main page was some rather lack luster shit and things YouTube keeps recommending I watch are things that I never want to watch in my life.

Seriously YouTube, when are you going to understand that I NEVER want to watch Shane Dawson, Smosh, PewDiePie, and especially not Ray William Johnson ever again!

Oh and as far as the layout goes, calm down guys. These things take time!

Certainly its frustrating to have to relearn how to use YouTube again, but in a few weeks you won't even know the difference.

Though... that white space does bother me a bit. Maybe they have something planned for it? I don't know.

• Brohoof 1

I love the new layout. It's clean and streamlined with the rest of the Google products. People need to understand that YouTube hasn't been YouTube for years now. It's been Google-fied. 

I've really just given up on youtube. I mean, it really does just suck now. It's nearly impossible to become popular, and every time they change the layout, I just hate it even more. It's gone from "Broadcast yourself" to "Make weekly videos or you suck."

Ever since Google bought the site it's just been getting worse as time goes on.

Edited by Betez