Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books The Book Thread

Octavia2

I just got the first four in a box set the other day. I've only read a little into the first one, and I'll be gone for ten days as of tomorrow, so hopefully I don't forget about them by the time I come back. How's the series so far?

It's nice. I always did love the intensity and the absense of a happily ever after. Just a great pessimistic attitude.

I don't always pick up a book, but when I do, I'm in class.

But seriously, I loved The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series. Such a great story line! It always keeps you wanting more.

Oh my... my bookshelf... it's a complete disaster :3 If we really wanna go into detail, books everywhere, including off the bookshelf. Mostly it's Fantasy, but there's a few Fiction, an occasional other genre book. I have the entire Harry potter series, Artemis fowl series, and sooooooooooooooooooooooo many random books! :D

What's in my bookshelf? You asked for it :P

Game of Thrones

Dozens of Star Trek books

The Inheritance Cycle(Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance)

Books about Perl 5, Perl 6 and Squeak(something to do with programming)

The Bartimaeus Trilogy(The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, Ptolemy's Gate) by Jonathan Stroud

Bartimaeus - The Ring of Solomon, also by Jonathan Stroud

Contact by Carl Sagan

Robots and Empire by Isaac Asimov

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

Lonely Minds in the Universe by Giancarlo Genta(or something)

What Is Random by Beltrami

Strange Happenings by Avi

Antares Dawn and Procyon's Promise by Michael McCollum

Master And Commander by Patrick O'Brian

Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana

Dune by Frank Herbert

The Labyrinth Key by Howard Hendrix

I could go on, that's not even one-sixteenth of the books I have.

10 shelves filled with books, some books are on top of those shelves, plus a who knows how many my father bought for us. Some shelves have two rows of books.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I...have twelve different bookcases. A lot of them are educational thingies like The Firefox series or how to fly-fish while grilling an egg or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Repair etc... My entertainment bookcase is kind of largish, but abbreviated down to my favorites, it looks like this:

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Naked Lunch by William Burroughs

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

The Mystery Man by Colin Bateman

The Dune Series by Frank Herbert

The Great White Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson

The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove

The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Every Miss Marple, Poirot, Nero Wolfe, Richard Jury, Sherlock Holmes and Lovecraft book ever written.

The Critiques by Immanuel Kant(I get in the mood so I keep this and the next book on my E! bookcase)

Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

The King in Yellow by Robert Chambers

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole

Dracula by Bram Stoker

The Dexter series by Jeff Lindsey

The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

The Harry Potter series J.K. Rowling

The Shining, Under the Dome, IT, The Stand, Rose Madder, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and Night Shift by Stephen King

Caves of Steel and the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov

(some of...)The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

All collected works of Agatha Christie, Edgar Allen Poe, Rex Stout, Shakespeare, Howard P. Lovecraft, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Martha Grimes, Rudyard Kipling, P.C. Wren, William Blake and Algernon Blackwood.

-FF

Edited by Faraday Flask

The floor is scattered with books by Stephen King, Eric Nylund, Steven Hawking, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Chuck Klosterman, Henry Rollins, and others.

• Brohoof 1

I've got about 3/4 of the Redwall series.

Harry Potter series

Eragon series

Artemis Fowl series

Bartimaeus trilogy

Hunger Games series

Hungry City Chronicles (completely unrelated to Hunger Games, and probably my favorite series)

Various Star Wars books

Hitchhikers Guide Series

Chronicles of Narnia (not actually on my shelf because my sister is borrowing them)

A few volumes of various manga.

Some DVDs

Some cool looking stuff I made with LEGOs, and some other random stuff.

Posted ImageYou talking about that old book case in my POH?

It just has a ton of quest books in it that where wasting banks space...

Or where you talking about irl? in which case all my books all digital?

Ok on the real topic, I like reading rhinks that suits my needs

Let's see...I've got quite a lot of Fantasy/Action/Adventure stuff like The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Nick, The Inheritance Triliogy, and a few others I can't remember.

I recently bought two books, mostly for inspiration but which may be useful for real.

The one I'm reading right now, describes a hundred different objects to build, wooden for the great majority - a cupboard out of wooden boxes, a functioning boat, even some planes). The other one contains a hudred scientific experiments/tricks that can be made at home - how to use a wrist watch as a compass, building a lava lamp and a radio, and even a hot air balloon with its burner and all.

I just finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and already have the sequel ready to read. It was awesome, I now know the importance of towels, mice, and the Answer.

Heh, the computer is my personal favorite character (sad, isn't it?), with Ford at a close second. Really, the entire book was weird and nonsensical, but it was so funny so i guess that can be excused.

I've finished up reading a book called Paranoia by Joseph Finder. I'm very pleased about the book so I'm going to try and pick up two others later on this week and read those to see if he holds up as well as many claim him to be.

Awesome thread, not sure why it is buried under everything else. >.>

In any case, I'm reading one book at the moment, which is Capital by Karl Marx, and waiting on two which are A Very Short Introduction to African History and The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy.

I'm reading Harry Potters. Again. Gotta love them ~

Gotta hype ^w^

I dunno how many times I've read all of them. At least three. Some of them I've read a couple of more times, but HARRY POTTERS!

Almost done My Friend Leonard which is the sequel to A Million Little Pieces. It's fantastic, truely depressing at some points, but funny in others. I'd highly recommend it, especially if you read the first one.

(edited)

Behold my bookshelf.

post-6104-0-62940900-1343275251_thumb.jpg

Most of my books are Forgotten Realms D&D books by various authors, and I have plenty of Starcraft stuff too. I'm a huge fan of Drizzt and R.A. Salvatore. There are a few more such books on my floor that are waiting for me to put together the second shelf I recently purchased. All those books laying atop the neatly arranged rows are bothering me too, and will likely be moved to the second shelf once assembled. The tall, solid black book on the end of the shelf with the ponies is the concept art book that came with my collector's edition of Skyrim.

A few of the "classics" are on the lowest visible shelf, and there's a shelf below that deliberately left out of the picture because all it contains are some boring, old reference books.

As for some of the swag giving the shelf extra character: The phone belonged to my grandparents long ago. I intend to hang it on my bookshelf and start using it; I miss rotary phones. Next to the phone are my collectible Highlander medallions from the TV box sets. The ponies are all blind bags, and behind the ponies are a set of chopsticks somebody brought me from China. The bell is just an old school bell. The dagger is a cheap, stainless blade I bought at the state fair because I thought it would look good as a decorative piece. The blue shell is made of wax, the Rubik's cube is self-explanatory, and between them is a row of multi-faceted dice, the kind of which is commonly used in D&D and similar games.

edit: I just noticed Twilight is pointing and smiling at my bookshelf. Awesome.

Edited by Artemis

(edited)

The last book I read was Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. It is pretty much an old british political satir done in the style of a travel narrative. The 4th part is pretty interesting to bronies though. It is where Gulliver gets stuck on an island where horses are intelligent (Houyhnhnms) and humans are beasts (Yahoos). The horses live in a utopian society, and he sees the visious beasts that all humans are.

I had to read that book for school, and the 4th part I did find way more interesting than the other parts because of the intelligent, rational horses. It was like every horse on that island was Twilight Sparkle.

I bought a Lord of the Rings boxset at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago, it included all three books plus The Hobbit. I'm reading The Hobbit now, but I'll be done with it in about 50 pages. I sort of have the bad habit of starting multiple books at once, so I'm also in the middle of rereading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I also began reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Edited by spaghettinoodles