Make-It-Snow.jpg

- Did you get any snow this winter? Not a few occasional flakes, but a load of it, enough to blanket your world in a centimeter (or more)? Do you often get snow where you live?

I remember having plenty of snow as a kid in Istanbul, but now and here in Paris, we rarely get that much. There was qome snow in Istanbul when we flew there on Xmas, but tonight is the first time I witnessed so much snowfall in France (ironic since it's supposed to be further to the North and therefore colder):

post-156-0-34878500-1358588170_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-27198100-1358588384_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-89330900-1358588407_thumb.jpg

- Do you like playing in snow? What are your fondest memories of it? Also, do you do winter sports?

I recall making a tiny snowman now and then when I was a child. Also snowball fights, plus eating snow (and ice).

Now though, I just enjoy walking in snow and listening to the muffled creaks it makes. Ooh, also snowboarding, when I vacationed at the mountain a couple times, and I'd gladly do it again.

- Have you seen or heard of any snow sculptures and exhibitions?

I've only seen them on the Net, sadly. Here's one I found (NSFW)

Snow_Sculpture.jpg

- You may also post snow facts and trivia, a bit of science or art doesn't hurt.

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 1

Hello!

We did have quite alot of snow, but for me, there's never enough of it... I don't really play in the snow... I used to, but not anymore. Snow can be annoying sometimes, especially when you're trying to get somewhere, and you come back all wet and covered in it...

mlfw582_celestia%20what%20look.png

Not to mention how cold it is...

• Brohoof 1

I live in berlin (Germany), and the snow wasnt strong at all this year unfortunately. The first REAL snow started on the 8th of december, snow began to shower down berlin, making everything beautiful, well, until the cars turned the white snow into a black mud. I personally love winter because i go out less, and i can play in the snow. And i didnt see any sculptures this year either.

The South doesn't seem to get much snow, except for the massive snow we might get every six or seven years. In cases like those, we are taken completely off guard. Some natives have never seen snow, it's a very foreign thing here and they don't know what to do with it.

But I wish we could get more frequent snow here.

• Brohoof 2

Not yet! Knock on wood. I hate snow with an ever growing deep, and I do mean deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppppp passion. I'm not a real fan of winter and snow in general. Add in that I have to shovel the snow and I hate it even more. Like five thousand times more. I am past the age where playing in the snow is an OK thing to do. And Winter sports? I haven't found one in which I don't think I am gonna royally suck at yet. And I have not seen any snow sculptures or anything.

I love snow! As much as it can be a right pain to drive in its the only time you get to play with the weather! In fact it snowed all day yesterday.

I live in the South of England so we don't get much snow compared to the North or Scotland but for the last few years we've gotten a few days of heavy snow. 

We have a green in one of the nearby villages where people just build snowmen.

Yes, we got snow again this winter, just like always. Here's a pic:

post-9627-0-63918700-1358599388_thumb.jpg

I hate snow. I hate winter. It's cold, you need to shovel the entrance free, there's no sun. There are no good memories I can recall. Not even snowboarding makes up for all of this.

I'm just the summer kind of guy.

• Brohoof 2

I live in Finland - at winter this place is nothing but snow. I've grown to love it though, and couldn't imagine living anywhere too far south.

I used to love burrowing tunnels in snow as a kid, and slide down hills in a sled (or whatever those are called in English).

(edited)

Oh yea, I see where drivers are coming from. I imagine it's difficult to drive through thick snow, whereas thinner layers turn to dangerous ice under your wheels.

Also having to shovel must suck, though I can't relate. Especially since I personally like doing chores and running errands, unless I have other things in mind or it's really cold.

And yes, too much snow can also cause some damage, so it's not always fun either.

Anyway, since I couldn't resist, I got out on my balcony and felt the snow on the wall's edge. I must've forgotten how delicate fresh snow is; it was like very fine sand.

I tried making a tiny snowball, but I think it was too small for me to press evenly, so it became a shapeless chunk.

One memory I forgot to mention, is dog-sledding. I've been to a group trip with other kids to a mountain (I think, I'm not very sure), where we learned the basics of that. We didn't journey anywhere that I remember, but after having that experience and watching documentaries on the subject (especially back when dog sleds were the only means of transport across cold regions), I've really come to respect mushers and love their dogs.

I also REALLY admire snow artists like this dude.

Edited by Feather Spiral

Yeah. This year we got like afoot of snow. But it hasn't snowed since then. :( Two years ago, we got an inch of ice last year. My house is on a hill somewhat, so I got a hammer and used it as a mountain axe to climb up the hill.

I live in middle of a desert (AZ). We NEVER get snow. At least it's only a few hours' drive to Flagstaff, which is one of the snowiest cities in the US. We get a ton of "snowbirds" in the winter; people who fly south to escape cold weather, and can be identified by the fact that they wear shorts and a t shirt when it's 40 degrees outside. 

I like snow when I see it because its such a novelty. Once when I was little I made a snowman when we traveled somewhere? Otherwise, I just do photography as I always do when I travel, but with a bit more excitement. Pardon the pun, but snow is so cool!

Tiny%20Snowman%20Cute%20Snow%20High%20Ke

Blue%20Snow%20Mountain%20Cloud%20Weather

Wolf%20Cream%20White%20Snow%20Head-S.png

• Brohoof 2

post-8252-0-50766700-1356565617_thumb.png

I'd say I got plenty of snow so far this winter.  I live in south/central Indiana, and this was just in one night.  A few nights later, I got the exact same amount as this, plus a little more on New Years Eve.  I think it's very pretty to look at, until I have to shovel my massive driveway.

I only got about one good snow in, which only came in at around 6'. We usually get around 8-10, and that is multiple times in one season, so it has been a very dry winter, unfortunately. I rather enjoy playing/shredding snow.

Oh yeah I had a bit of snow

I love the snow so much

It just looks so pretty

And it's nice to look at

While I'm walking to school

During the mornings

I wish I had gotten more than

We had gotten, not too much more

But just enough to cover the whole place

Shut up about snow! I am incredibly frustrated from the lack of it I have had for the last couple of winters. We have two winters straight where we break records for the most amount of snowfall in one total season, and then the one after that we get two inches of snow total for the whole season. This winter we haven't even had that! They put us under a Winter Storm Warning for up to 12 inches of snow and then a single snowflake didn't even fall!

And then I go up to Ohio thinking I'll get to experience a real winter and there's no snow up there either! In fact it was in the 50s! And then after leaving they get snow, of course.

Oh... Sorry, one shouldn't get me started ranting at this time. lol

• Brohoof 1

It hasn't snowed all that much this year where I am.  More than last year, but not as much as the year before.  Then again, the year before was the Snowpocalypse.  I think I had a full 5 days off from school that year just because the school had no idea where to put it all.

I'm not really a huge fan of the cold, and now that I drive, I'm really not a fan of the snow.  I guess I used to like it more, but again, that was before i started driving.

At least it's only a few hours' drive to Flagstaff, which is one of the snowiest cities in the US.

This is why I love living in Flagstaff.  We get all the benefits of Arizona (no DST, awesome hiking) and snowy winters!

Speaking of snow, we've only had one big storm this year so far, but it was enough to close school and open our ski resort, so I'm happy.  We get most of our snow in February, anyway.

• Brohoof 1

I just moved to Alaska not too long ago, and it hasn't really snowed too much since I've lived here (maybe around a foot or two in the past month). It's pretty much just bitterly cold around here. I actually do love the snow though... I just think that it makes everything seem so beautiful and pleasant. I've never really had memories of snow other than a few times growing up (I grew up in texas), but I do remember a few great snowball fights that I've had with friends. Right now the snow in my yard is basically frozen like ice (it's been about a week since the last flurry), so it makes walking a pain in the ass (and the -15F weather with -30F wind chills don't help either).

Also, one of my favorite things in the world is to go snowboarding and skiing (sometimes snow tubing, but it depends where it is). I haven't done it yet this year, and probably won't until it warms up in late April or May.

The last thing is that it sucks to drive in... That is all :)

• Brohoof 1

Haven't gotten much snow this year up here in Washington state, but yeah, having come from a desert area myself. It was amazing, to have witnessed snow for the first time six years ago. Than people ask me, how did you get used to the cold? honest answer, I never did.

• Brohoof 1

We had a light snowfall here ONCE this winter. The rest of the time it's just been stuck at freezing (or below freezing) temperatures.

It's pretty cool (no pun intended), being able to look out from your back deck and look at the snow covered valley below.

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

Not really, since i live far away from cold, but i'm not complaining, i know i could barely survive to snow if i can't stand the cold that we are having around here.

Than people ask me, how did you get used to the cold? honest answer, I never did.

Heh, same here. I've been living in France for - what, 12 years? Yet I'm still chilly as all hell.

Also ICE SHEETS :o

That's, like, one of the most annoying consequence of snow in town. Because of all that traffic in the streets and walkways.

Good thing I have the shoe version of those chains people put around their wheels. It's not exactly chain, but springs around a rubber frame, like this. Came handy yesterday, when I was walking across the campus, though it got more slippery in areas WITHOUT ice. ;P

So far, other than a dusting, the only thing we've gotten in the Philly area is a lot of cold.  Just bone chilling cold yesterday and today with temperatures below freezing.  Areas farther inland have gotten measurable snowfall though.