Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Slowly falling out of the fandom. What should I do?

Zacharias

Recently I've been having less and less FiM in my life and I'm afraid I might lose my interest in this forever.

Just to tell you, I haven't even watched a single episode of Season 3 yet, and I don't think I'm feeling the "need to" like how I used to. It might be because I'm quite limited when it comes to opportunities to watch it (I'm rarely home alone) and most of the time when I could watch it, I end up doing something else.

Oh, and is it possible that I've committed myself to too many MLP projects and I'm starting to see my role  as an obligation and not just a hobby? I mean 95% of my free time goes to them and I've been doing this for a year and a half now with only my own project slowly getting closer to being finished.

I'm also a BIT concerned that the show might end before I finish my work and the fandom might start decaying and then all my time will end up being wasted.

What should I do to stay a brony? I've stated to my friends countless times that I would quit as soon as I'm done with all the fangame stuff I'm into, and then changed my mind. It's like I can't see the fun side of this I much as I used to.

But has any of you had thoughts like this before? I'd really love to hear it!

Edited by Zacharias

That has happened to me before.

Sometimes I'd sit and watch a show but go, 'nah, can't be bothered' :P

But don't listen to your mind, listen to your heart.

Do what you think is best.

If you feel that you are growing out of it or it doesn't have room for you in your heart, then I suggest you don't have to be a FULL and ACTIVE brony, but you could still watch the show now and then.

I would really love for you to stay a brony though!

You probably just don't have the time. Don't worry; the time will come. You will be back into it in no time :)

• Brohoof 1

Sounds to me you have worn yourself down. Too much activity focused on one subject non-stop can cause you to lose interest, this is how I became burned out on drawing and why I sold my dream truck after having it for only a year but looking for it for the past 15.

I would say slow things down and cut back, let the joy from the show/fandom return on its own as things die down.

• Brohoof 3

That happened to me not too long ago. I was angry at myself for letting ponies get in the way of my studies and was beating myself up over it in the most literal sense of the word. It sounds to me like you've just burnt yourself out. Feel free to take a little break, find a couple fresh, non-pony hobbies, and come back later. You're not obliged to stay, we're not a gang. But we sure as hay do like having you around.

Sounds like to me you've burnt out on ponies.

I had the same thing happen to me too recently.Honestly,just take a break from it.Doesn't matter how long it is,as I have taken a month break from ponies.Just take a break until you feel like you need some more pony.

Fall out of the fandom? I mean, it's not the worst thing to happen. If you wanna come back, no one's gonna stop you, but don't feel the need watch the show just for the sake of it. Watching the show is about having fun. If it's not fun, you really shouldn't have to watch it. 

I mean, I don't watch the show anymore, I'm no worse of for it.

You're falling out of the fandom? That's called moving on my fellow brony. Don't fight it because if you do you'll end up staying a brony for all the wrong reasons.

If you end up moving on so what? I'm sorry to say this but MLP isn't everything. I'm sure you'll find some other show or whatever to cling to.

On the other hand, maybe you're just convincing yourself that you're losing interest in the fandom because you haven't been active in it as much as you usually are. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from the fandom for a little bit and then coming back strong later.

Edited by Photo Finish
  • Brohoof 2

Take a break, find something new, get refreshed, then you may or may not want to come back for more pony. Even if you fall away from the fandom, that doesn't mean you can't still,enjoy the show either. Some bronies are just guys who like My Little Pony. Don't have to be part of this big subculture.

What others have said. There is no 'OMFGWTFBBQ PONIEZ' and 'Not into ponies'. There is a spectrum that fluctuates, especially when you are super active for a while. Some people never stop (I've never lost steam and don't plan to), but not everyone can. Sometimes you just need a break.

The great thing is, both the show and fanbase are still going, so for those of you who max yourself out on ponies, you should be fully capable of jumping back in as soon as you feel like it. Hell, we have one of the most active fanbases on this grand old cafe we call the internet; many people could and should rightly be stimulated to return from a hiatus, simply due to the fact that there is shittons more fanon art, fanfics, videos, music and other things to look at when they come back.

Take a break. See what happens. Fifty bucks says you'll come back at some point, recharged.

• Brohoof 1

You know what that sounds like? Not pony burnout, but the mid-game blues. I take it you've got most of the groundwork done, a decent amount of graphics, but still a long way from completion? Just keep on plugging. It's the only way to get through it. Game development is a long road, and that's the time where most people give up. But it's worth it in the end.

Don't worry about the fandom dying out if you're planning to be finished before the end of the year. Season 4 is semi-confirmed, and hopefully there'll be a 5 and more afterward. And even if the show ends before you're done, there will always be bronies... just not as numerous and rampantly productive.

Also, if you need a hoof with the code and artwork, message me with some details about the game... I may be interested in joining up :)

• Brohoof 2

My personal recommendation is to take a break, if you feel it's time to move on then it probably is. But you should know we're still going to be about if you decide to come back.

As for the fandom decaying.... Well yes it may happen a bit but it won't die out completely, not just yet anyway. Oh and the shows not going to end yet they confirmed season 4 a while ago so you needed be concerned about that yet.

Well, I have heard that if you want to get back into something, take a break from it. So like others have said, take a break. If you feel the need to watch season 3, watch it. Otherwise, a little hiatus from the show wouldn't hurt.

It's simple really, as it's been said. You've burned them up. 

I've done the same thing with Halo. I love the franchise to death, but there comes a point where i've played, and played, and played and read the book and read the books and it just gets boring. It starts feeling more like a chore than a fun hobby or interest. 

These are the steps I normally take when I want to get myself back into something:

1) Sever all ties, a clean break lets your mind take the attention away. 

2) Set your mind to know that you will come back to it when you're ready.

3) After a few weeks of a break (1 or 2 normally) start comparing the game with other games (works for other stuff too of course) 

4) Doing that, you'll begin to realise just how much you actually like said game 

I've had to do this a few times, so it must work :P 

(edited)

Thanks for all the replies, I realize I should probably take a break but I can't. Well not until I'm don with everything. I have a project of my own, and I also wanted to help a gamemaker project with my music back in July and that's still going as well as the Sega Genesis homebrew my friend is making along with his girlfriend where I'm also in charge of the music. (He actually gave me a Genesis as gift for being the composer in advance so I owe him now and I feel like I have to do it)

I just need to figure out how to hang in here until I get everything done. I feel my hobbies to be "obligatory" and sometimes I stress over them. But that's really no problem, since I'm used to being stressed about every single thing.

Oh, and thanks for telling me about season 4. So hopefully I have time till September. (School's going to get horrible next year so I have to finish everything this summer or delete it all)

Edited by Zacharias

Well really the choice is up to you. But I would say say. This is a wonderful fan base. Most fan bases have cliques and are divided. This fan base for the most part is nohing but generous. We all feel bored with certain things sometimes. DBZ is my childhood. But I aven't watched the full series for 5 years. Means I just need a break from it is all. But it's your choice and only you can decide. I'm just giving you ood reasons to stay.

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

Relax. The fandom and the show aren't going anywhere. Dragonball still has a huge following, and it stopped airing years ago. Just take a breather, and relax. We'll still be here when you get back. ;)

If 95% of your free time is going to ponies, you have stated your problem in a nutshell.  If 95% of your free time goes towards ANYTHING, it is not healthy or desired and you will burn out on it.  Time to take a step back.

I can easily agree with silvadel here. If you spend 95% of your time on MLP, you eventually get desensitized to it which can make you lose intrest of it over time.

A break is most needed from it, so go ahead and do whatever you want to do.

--

What I usually do though to counter it while still having lots of intrest is by just not watching the show much at all. Mabye once a month I watch it but rarely I ever do.

Edited by Moon Wave

You cant force yourself to like something, or at least you shouldn't. If you're losing interest, then let nature takes its course and see where it takes you. The break might be enough to rekindle your interest in ponies at a later date and you'll come back refreshed and wanting to jump back into the fandom. Season 3 is almost done anyway, so the fandom is going to slow down anyway. Perfect timing to take a break. Hell, maybe the break is exactly what you need, and you're just trying to stay in the fandom so you wont lose interest forever. Whats the old saying? if you love something, let it go, and if it comes back, its ment to be. 

Deep down inside, if you truly love this fandom, then you'll come back to it eventually. Theres zero harm in taking a vacation and doing something else for awhile. 

You probably burned out your primal passion for the show and now you're cooling down. I've been watching the show since The Show Stoppers episode (Ironical coincidence :D). I on the top of my passion used to go through ponibooru every 7 days for about 4-6 hours only so I wouldn't miss a single piece of artwork that was posted. Then I cooled down. Half way through S2 I kinda lost high interest in the show due to several things I didn't like and I'm not even sure if I'll watch S4 due to erm... a certain overdose of pegasus wings on a certain pony. But I still like the the ponies, and I still like the community and fan art... most of it. You can say that I came for the ponies but I stayed for the bronies.

Just give it a bit of time and you'll find a stable ammount of pony/nonpony mix for you. Don't overly force your self if your heart doesn't want to or you'll just burn out even more.