Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you really care about what people think about you?

Sir.Flutter Hooves

Hello and bro hoof /)

I'm kinds disappointed about something. Today, I've seen about five posts saying that they're a closet brony because they don't want people thinking that they're sissys or wimps.

I thought bronies were better then that! I know not all bronies are that way, but to the ones that are listen up:

Who cares what people think about you? If you loose friends over a show, who cares? They were not your real friends anyway! And who know, if you tell someone your a brony maybe, just maybe something great will come out of it!

Just don't care about what people think of you! Just be you, life is too short!

Sorry for the rant,  and bro hoof /)

• Brohoof 16

In their defence,some of them don't have many friends and have a really,really,really hard time making new ones.To lose the few friends they had because they're a brony would be,at the very least,catastrophic for their lives.Hell,I used to be in this boat for years,and it's not fun to think about losing a lot of your friends because you decided to openly say you like ponies or something equally frivolous and pointless.

A stupid reason,yes,but I'll be damned if it wasn't a justified one.

Edited by CaptainBlue808
  • Brohoof 5

It doesn't really bother me. If people don't like me because i'm a brony that's just what they think, not gonna try to force them to like me. Though if I did lose a friend because they had a problem with it I doubt I would care much, there are much worse things in life then losing friends because they have a problem with you liking something that they don't or because they think you are weird and creepy for liking it. I honestly wouldn't want a friend that can't accept people for being different anyway. I've lost a lot of friends anyway so I don't think it would affect me that much. Example: when I was young ( this was YEARS ago so FiM wasn't around ) all three of my friends basically came up to me and said they didn't want me as a friend anymore because there was another kid who was ''cooler'' then me. I'm mainly locked up in my room for 90% of the day anyway.

tl;dr

I don't care

img-1308342-1-apple_jack_shrug_by_rainbo

( Obviously just my opinion )

Edited by Gamer Brony

It doesn't really bother me. If people don't like me because i'm a brony that's just what they think, not gonna try to force them to like me. Though if I did lose a friend because they had a problem with it I doubt I would care much, there are much worse things in life then losing friends because they have a problem 

In their defence,some of them don't have many friends and have a really,really,really hard time making new ones.To lose the few friends they had because they're a brony would be,at the very least,catastrophic for their lives.Hell,I used to be in this boat for years,and it's not fun to think about losing a lot of your friends because you decided to openly say you like ponies.

A stupid reason,yes,but I'll be damned if it wasn't a justified one.

with you liking something that they don't or because they think you are weird and creepy for liking it. I honestly wouldn't want a friend that can't accept people for being different anyway. I've lost a lot of friends anyway so I don't think it would affect me that much. Example: when I was young ( this was YEARS ago so FiM wasn't around ) all three of my friends basically came up to me and said they didn't want me as a friend anymore because there was another kid who was ''cooler'' then me.

( Obviously just my opinion )

Good reason guys. Never though of it that way. But just remember, you'll always have friends like I here, and in the brony community, and on this forum.

/)

Good reason guys. Never though of it that way. But just remember, you'll always have friends like I here, and in the brony community, and on this forum.

/)

How important you think friendship is depends on the person in my opinion. If your a sensitive person and you have a lot of friends you have to mentally prepare yourself, because at least one of them will end up abandoning you.

Most of my best friends I haven't even met in real life because they live in another country ( xbox live, psn, mlpforums and more ) it doesn't really bother men, I honestly prefer to be left alone most of the time, that's not to say I don't enjoy talking to my friends though.

Edited by Gamer Brony

No. I do not care what people think about em because I am a strong, independent woman with my own set of goals...

...is what I'd love to say, but in truth yes. I do care. And I hate it.

(I am a dude by the way, I just thought it sounded better with 'woman'.)

• Brohoof 3

Truthfully, yes I care about what other people think about me and often look down on myself etc.etc. Lets use writing and role playing as big examples here. I love to do both, but I would never show off my writing skills, or RP here, because I care about what other people think, and am pretty sure you guys would dislike it. That's just who I am unfortunately it could be a best friend, or a loved one, or just Kyle the hobo, but, if one person thinks something bad about me, it affects me like a lot.

• Brohoof 1

It's very easy to take the side of "nobody should care about what other people think" but it's actually quite difficult to put that into practice, especially when we're still in a fairly judgmental society. It's a very individual thing at the end of the day and some people just struggle to tell people things regardless of whether it will harm them or not. 

It does boggle my mind that people leave their friends because they like a TV show, it's a mighty overreaction. If your friend "abandons" you because you're a brony then you really shouldn't be dealing with them anyway.

It comes down to the individual whether they tell people or not and why they haven't told people. I'm probably one of the few people here who hasn't told anyone outright because it's not a big deal to me whether people know or not, again it's a TV show I don't need to tell people I watch it.

• Brohoof 7

The greatest problem facing society today.

Should I, or shouldn't I admit to liking something unusual if it means being excluded, bullied or worse.

Seems the answer is clear here. But there are even more complex issues occuring.

I'm a closet brony. Except to my family and 1 friend, who understands my position as she's a closet Barbie fan. Yes, hers  has little periphery demographic, but the reaction from our friends would likely be the same.

Funnily enough, a couple within the group have the nicknames of pony (the girl) and princess (the guy) and our friends give them a bit of ribbing because of this. In fact, one went so far as to sing the basic intro for mlp. You know, "My little pony! My little pony!"

I don't think they're ready for it yet...

• Brohoof 2

Let's see, I'm already one of the most unpopular kids, known for liking things such as Pokemon and Kirby. Some kid from my class actually went as far as to tell me that nobody likes me in school on deviantART and that I'm some childish idiot who likes Kirby. Maybe I should tell them that I like ponies as well? Great plan.

• Brohoof 1

Hello!

Strangely from most Brony perspectives, i do care. If one person thinks bad about you, he could easily start rumors that could really affect you in the future. I've experienced this myself earlier in my life... As @@Aaramus, has said, It's easy to talk about it, but it's incredibly hard to actually do it in public...

Not anymore. In the past I had always let people get to me, because I never even accepted myself. I have many problems, as I have stated before, and in the past I found it really difficult to accept myself with them included. Now, I could not care less what others think. Why should I? I am not a bad person, I just have difficulties with things that others do not. That is fine. I just try to live my life the best I can and be happy. For me, that is all that matters.

Notice how I did not even mention the Brony thing. That is the last thing that I am worried about when it comes to people having an opinion about me.

I am all about self acceptance and if we constantly worry about what others think about us, then that will impede it to no end. Sure, there can be positives to taking in what others think about you, but from what have noticed, it can just lead to trying to mold yourself into something that you are not.

Edited by Kyoshi

I know there are people out there who struggle to fit in socially. For most of my life people would point a finger and say :"Look, there goes the weirdo!!" And I must say, social interaction is an important thing in a person's life, it is difficult with the few people who still socialize with you. And a small thing like admitting bronydom can be enough to socially band you from a school or work enviorment. This can have a devistating effect on one's soul, it scarres you, sometimes for life. It is a dangerous world out there.

As one of the only classic rock fans, bronies, pokemon fanatics, pirate fanatics, pc gamers, retro gamers, and cartoon fanatics In a 50 mile radius of my home, I gotta say, I really couldn't care less what people think about me. I'm not sure why but I have always been used to a few minor insults and a less then reputable status in my school. But that doesn't matter to me because as long as I have friends who don't care about social, economic, racial, or religious status and aren't going to treat me different because of those factors, then I'm happy.

• Brohoof 1

I am much like a shadow most don't know enough about me as I don't give much info away. I was once a brony stuck in a dark closet but that is mostly because I've walked darkness most of my life being anti-social. In schools I was the shadow in the corner ignored by the other students well except for those who chose to talk to me which eventually became my friends. Speaking of school I ended up playing card games in school even had a table where people played the same card games, where each person even had a nickname, mine was idget which never mattered to me.

What I'm saying is this... Call me whatever you want it will probably phase right through me without having any effect on me.

Edited by Zavyr Darkeyes

In my opinion, no.

But for some reason, I keep letting people talk bad about me but in reality I really don't care. I just want them to just let their ego get as huge as the earth, then in the end I'll be the one laughing at them.

Especially if it is a person that I hate, I would just basically beat them up but that wouldn't prove much anyway.

Well, it all depends on the person to me.

Some people are really, really shy and really don't need the added burden of everyone giving them flak about liking My Little Pony, and I also understand if the person just doesn't want to bring it up. I know I don't bring it up unless someone else brings it up; that's how most everyone I know found out I was a Brony. We were just talking about cartoons or having some deep conversation, and then when it came up I told them that I loved the show and was a Brony. It worked pretty well for me.

Let's move away from My Little Pony and the Brony thing though, and let me just comment on the whole idea of not caring what others think: it's hard. Like. really hard. I manage to do it well enough nowadays; I remember back in High School I was such a freaking poser it was ridiculous. I wouldn't admit to liking anything even remotely nerdy, and I would only associate with people about cartoons if no one cool was around. Now that I'm a bit older, I realize that was stupid and I'm generally pretty good about not caring what others think about my interests or my opinions.

However, I don't think there's anything wrong with hiding what you like for the sake of avoiding the rude comments of others. I have discussed the issue of maturity and not judging others based on their interests many times with my family, friends, and classmates in college, and I've generally gotten a positive response or convinced people to see things from my point of view. I remember just yesterday I gave a short persuasive presentation on the issue of maturity and how we judge people not based on their behavior but in what they're interested in; I brought up the example of two different men who are both completely mature, but one of them likes football and the other is a Disney movie fanatic. While most of the class said that wouldn't matter to them, a few did say that they thought that did mean he was less mature.

Luckily, I had the whole class agreeing with me by the end that judging people based on their interests is wrong. Heck, there is a guy in the class that I thought did that very thing all the time, but I got him to agree that teasing people about their interests is fine, but that deep inside he really doesn't care what others think. He even brought up My Little Pony and Bronies and how he would tease them but that he really doesn't care that they like the show.

Overall, it's a complicated issue, and I think there's more to it than simply declaring "you shouldn't care what others think".

• Brohoof 2

No, I truly don't care about what others think about me, I used to say this as wishful thinking but after getting tired of being hurt over and over again over what a bunch of judgmental narrow minded idiots thought of me I decided to say screw them and just be who I am without any apologies to anyone.

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to be honest; no. I have no qualms about people thinking I'm "weird" and whatnot. I'm very happy to be myself around others; I see no point in pretending when the real you is going to show up someday.

I find in my school that in order to get on with the "cool" kids, you have to often put others down, which I don't see as necessary. Unless they get on my case, the kids getting bullied had no reason for me to be upset with them and even if so don't deserve that treatment.

Edited by PinkieDaShy
  • Brohoof 1

In my perspective it's like this, if you can't tell people that your a brony then you either hate the fact you will lose a friend or being made fun of. So I think of it like this it is more manly or womanly to stand up for what you like then to deny what you like. That means if you tell people that you like a show that was intended for little girls it is more manly or womanly because you are standing up for what you like. Your going against status quo and people would have to either respect you for it or hate you for it either way you shouldn't care what they think because its your opinion you like the show for a reason. If someone asks you why you like the show don't explain it just say its a good show. If they ask why again just respond the same. If they rephrase it like, what makes the show appealing then you go into detail about why you like the show. Also you can either be more open about it after you tell people or you could just not talk about it at all afterwards and never talk about it again either way its your choice. Do what you think is the right thing to do. Brohoof to all bronies /) and extra brohoof to closet bronies /) your gonna need it.

...sigh.

Yes. Yes, I do.

That realization bothers me, but it's true, and there's no escaping that. After all, we humans essentially base ourselves on how we think others see us, so it's inevitable, really.

What matters though, is the extent that you let people's opinions effect you, whether positive or negative in nature. It's important to set your foot down early and come to terms with the fact that people will always be judging you, and that's okay, because you are who you are. This is why self-honesty is the most crucial thing in life. If you like ponies or anything else for that matter, don't lie to yourself - accept that you like it, and identify why you like it. Accept that deep down, it reflects a part of who you are.

In accepting what you are and what you like, you'll have no problems dealing with what other people think - and why would you? If you can say, in all honesty, that this is who I am, and that's okay, then there is no reason for anyone else to think differently. (Talk about superficial judgments, too - judging someone based on their interests? Pssh, That shows a lot about someone's personality.)

So, chin-up. Don't let other people's narrow-minded judgements get you down, whether silent or not. Come to terms with yourself, and I guarantee you'll be so much happier - it's one of the main secrets to living an awesome life.

And by the way, honesty, in all forms? Sexy. Self-honesty and self-acceptance leads to confidence, and nothing screams attractive like confidence. So, y'know - just saying ;)

• Brohoof 3

Not so much with this particular subject, but I would like to play devil's advocate and say that sometimes, it takes other people to point out flaws in yourself, and if you act like a jerk, yes, people will think you are a jerk, and yes, it would probably be beneficial for you to care what they think in this instance. 

I do care what people think of me excessively (come on, I'm a teen, that's what we do), but I think "Screw them all!" isn't the right attitude to take either.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 1