Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Scootaloo fly or be disabled?

pinkiefan1287

Fly or Disable   

259 users have voted

1. 1. Should Scootaloo fly or be Disabled?

• Have her fly
    • Have her unable to fly

So I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on Rainbow Dash taking Scootaloo under her wing?

Should Scottaloo be allowed to fly in season 4 or should they go with the disabled route?

If you ask me, I think they should keep her disabled. It would make her a little bit more interesting and it would be nice if there was something that really set her and Rainbow Dash apart from each other. Not to mention Scootaloo could become very inspirational to kids who have disabilities and show them that they can live a fun life, even if you have a disability. Maybe she could even find another way to fly. Like how Tank use's that helicopter hat.

So what do you all think? Why do you think she should fly or not?

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 15

Eh, I'm not sure I'd be willing to say that I WANT Scootaloo to be disabled, but I think it would add more to her character like you said. I think having to deal with and overcome that flaw would make for a very emotional episode or series of episodes, and I think it would make the dynamic between her and Rainbow Dash all that much better.

• Brohoof 16

It's a very good question. Like the status of her family, the topic doesn't seem like something that they'll go into, because of the target audience and such. This is provided that she is disabled though. There is a chance that she's just a slow learner or some other explanation, and if this were the case then I wouldn't mind an episode with Rainbow trying to teach her to fly. I'm not sure if she should learn to fly over the course of the series though, perhaps as some kind of epilogue? I think seeing an older Scootaloo flying with Rainbow could be a very powerful scene.

I'm going in circles here. I think she's probably crippled, but I'm genuinely ok with whatever direction the writers go with this, as long as they use it to develpo her character and tell a good story.

• Brohoof 9

Frankly, I think it's abit of a moot thing to question.

If you saw 'One Bad Apple', Scootaloo was already seen about to hover for a brief period of time after several previous episodes where she only made failed attempts at flying.

The way I see it, the show is already telling us that Scootaloo will be able to fly eventually.

• Brohoof 4

To be fair, the question isn't asking whether or not she IS disabled, but whether or not she SHOULD be disabled.

Which I don't really think she should be disabled at all; I'd rather see Scootaloo be able to fly eventually rather than have her crippled. I do think that would actually add some depth to her character if she lacked the ability to truly fly and maybe just hover a little, but I think they could add just as much depth if she's just a slow learner as well.

• Brohoof 1

Personally I would love to see her fly with Rainbow. It would without a doubt be one of the most memorable moments of the series if she ever does so

I'd shed tons of liquid pride if that ever happened LOL

• Brohoof 2

Personally I would like to see her fly at some point.

Not to disregard Lauren's original intentions, and it would have worked great trust me

But

The way the show is going, where Scootalo and Rainbow Dash relationship with one another has grown for me it seems more logical to allow her to fly

Now I'm not saying she will one day *poof* she can fly

No I think it would make it more interesting that she is slower in the development of her wings. She will fly someday, but she has to work at it

She will have trouble and will have to work hard at it to someday fly.

When that happens it will be more meaningful since she was able to break her boundaries and work towards her ability to fly.

I'd much rather see an episode where rainbow has to teach scootaloo how to fly than seeing an emotional episode about scootaloo having a disability. They could explore the relationship between rainbow and scootaloo though a few episode using the concept of teaching scootaloo how to fly.

I doubt disabilities would be something they would discuss, anyways.

• Brohoof 1

They should stay as close as Lauren's vision to the show as possible. She said in a tweet Scootaloo was suppose to be in alot of fight because so many kids made fun of her disability! So yes, they should keep her disabled. It would make for a more interesting character, and make her a role model to people who have debilities.

/)

• Brohoof 11

I personally love the idea of having a disabled character. Scootaloo especially would be an excellent role model for disabled children due to her spunky "never give up" attitude.

Also, Fluttershy (a notably weak flyer) was still able to fly as a filly, and the Cake foal was flying even younger than that. If Scoots isn't flying by now, she probably never will.

• Brohoof 12

I have never seen any evidence that Scootaloo isn't completely normal for a pegasus her age.  Most of the fillies we've seen flying have been significantly bigger than Scootaloo, and therefore likely older.

They should stay as close as Lauren's vision to the show as possible. She said in a tweet Scootaloo was suppose to be in alot of fight because so many kids made fun of her disability! So yes, they should keep her disabled. It would make for a more interesting character, and make her a role model to people who have debilities.

/)

The tweet never mentioned a "disability".  It referred to Scootaloo "not flying" rather than "not being able to fly".  In fact, if you track her progress through the show, she's actually shown to get better at using her wings.  She can't fly YET, but there's no evidence that any other pegasus pony her age can fly either.

As for whether or not I WANT her to fly - of course!  She idolizes Rainbow Dash, and it would be adorable to see them fly together (without her being held up by RD's hoof).

Edited by Suzaku
  • Brohoof 1

I've always had my cannon on Scoots to be shes disabled, so I'm gonna have to vote saying that. I feel like it adds an interesting depth layer to her in a way.

That said it may be dark to the point where hasbro won't take the route. And I do kinda feel bad saying that Scoots should be disabled to. So idk really.

I want another Scootalove episode in S4, just sayin :P.

• Brohoof 2

I have never seen any evidence that Scootaloo isn't completely normal for a pegasus her age.  Most of the fillies we've seen flying have been significantly bigger than Scootaloo, and therefore likely older.

The tweet never mentioned a "disability".  It referred to Scootaloo "not flying" rather than "not being able to fly".  In fact, if you track her progress through the show, she's actually shown to get better at using her wings.  She can't fly YET, but there's no evidence that any other pegasus pony her age can fly either.

As for whether or not I WANT her to fly - of course!  She idolizes Rainbow Dash, and it would be adorable to see them fly together (without her being held up by RD's hoof).

Well, you got me there. But I still stick with my answer. I believe she would be a more interesting character if she could not fly.

/)

• Brohoof 1

It would be more dramatic if she was disabled, leaving some stories for the fandom to make themselves. But I'd love it if she finally learns to fly with her role model in the last episode or something like that, many tears of joy will be shed if that were to happen ;_;

I'm 50/50 on this topic, even though Faust said she was disabled I sort of do hope that the writers will find a way for Scoots to fly and live her dream.

• Brohoof 1

Not that I'm one of those fans who thinks Faust is a god and everything should be the way she planned it out to be, but I prefer Scootaloo as disabled simply because it's something different, and it can be something that speaks to people who have a disability. I'm sure they would never be able to touch upon the disability in the show, but I don't mind that because I prefer some degree of subtlety in the show.

Besides, if you think about it, the fact that Scootaloo can't fly makes it all the more meaningful when Rainbow Dash helps carry her. It's pretty touching even.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 13

Personally, I really like Lauren Faust's idea of Scootaloo being disabled. Her episode idea of Scootaloo having to deal with not being able to be just like her idol just seems really good. Sad, but good, and I'd really like to see it done.

• Brohoof 8

In summary, Lauren said the reason Scootaloo is disabled is that it would force her to learn other ways to reach her goals and dreams. That's a good lesson and I would like to see it retained by the current writers. Also remember that being defined as disabled doesn't mean one can't do an activity at all. Many legally blind people have a significant amount of eyesight. Those with cerebral palsy can walk, albeit with a cumbersome gait. For these reasons, I think Scootaloo can become airborne. She already showed she can hover for brief periods. My guess is that Scootaloo flight will be limited to the kind of flying domestic chickens are capable of. The whole Scootaloo is a chicken motif isn't an accident, after all.

I abstained from the poll vote because I think Scootaloo's ability falls somewhere between those two choices.  Ultimately, Scoots will be dissatisfied with her flying enough to concentrate on her other strengths as a way to move forward with her life. 

• Brohoof 4

I'm 50/50 on this topic, even though Faust said she was disabled I sort of do hope that the writers will find a way for Scoots to fly and live her dream.

Ok, when has Scootaloo ever said that her dream was to fly?

I'm sorry, but I feel like if anyone says that, it just a made up fan thing. If she wanted to fly so bad, she would have done something by now. We don't even know what she want to learn from RD. For all we know she just wants to learn to be cool and all that takes is sunglasses.  

So the only dream she has got right now is getting her cutie mark.

Scootaloo shouldn't be able to fly. And due to my inability to form coherent paragraphs, here's a list why!

1. It makes Scootaloo and her quest to figure out her destiny more interesting than just "Gee whiz, after several scenes of me falling in a puddle, I'm now able to fly, probably due to its necessity in a dangerous moment".

2. It makes her a stronger character when she overcomes this obstacle.

3. By extension, it could make Dash a better character and complete her emotional arc as she helps Scoots and becomes a true big sister, as opposed to just a trainer.

4. It's been properly built up (yes, I know she's hovered before, but never has she truly flown before).

5. It's a mature lesson to teach kids: sometimes, we have to accept that our dreams will not come in the form we want or expect, but we must never give up, and we must love and accept who we are.

Deep.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 4

Both, I want her to fly eventually but her being disabled which was what was originally intended is a good explanation for why she can't fly. As someone who has grown up with Autism I have heard all sorts of people have the false impression that it is some kind of death sentence, the doctor who diagnosed me said I would never get an IQ past 50, could turn into a vegetable at any time and recommended putting me in an institution. Scootaloo could go through a similar experience with maybe having some birth defect or having an injury where the doctors said she would never be able to fly but her training with Rainbow Dash and her natural determination could get her slowly but surely overcome this obstacle.

But here is the twist, Scootaloo learns to fly but still dosen't get her cutie mark because her destiny is not directly related to flying but is in being an advocate for disabled ponies and could fulfill the role that Derpy could have potentially fulfilled if not for the controversy that there is nothing wrong with being different, disabled or not and that everyone has something to offer even if it isn't immediately apparent. It would be close to Lauren Faust's original vision in a way but also put a very positive spin on it which could show that even though everypony has their limitations that with hard work and determination it is possible even for somepony who is disabled to better themselves.

I think that Scootaloo should fly, eventually. An entire episode dedicated to Rainbow Dash training her to fly. Though, due to some sort of a disability, Scootaloo has trouble. Eventually she would learn to fly, though maybe not that well. So she would still rely on her scooter when flying isn't going to work well for her. Of course, throughout her life, Rainbow Dash would continure to be a mentor to her. Working with her until she is able to build up the wing strength to fly well.

Of course, we have no idea the writers plan for Scootaloo.