Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Cars 3: 7/10 Cars 2 was better.

Meh it was okay, could been better though. Cruz was the only outstanding new character while Jackson is one heck of a blend character. 

I’ve actually seen four movies recently, I know the thread only asked for one, but I felt like sharing.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) - Geat movie! Spoilers below.

Spoiler

Nice movie showing Peter’s early career as Spider-Man and let’s us see him when he was still just learning the ropes. I also like that he didn’t let his crush get in the way of superhero duties, might just be me, but that always bothered me about Spider-Man movies.

The Descent (2005) - My god, I’ve been wanting to see this movie for years now! I heard it was good and was not disappointed, definitely gonna buy!

Aliens (1986) - I’ve finally seen this highly-praised film! It was awesome and it was nice to see Ripley take control of the situation and see characters that think their way out of a situation. Great film, if you like the Alien franchise and haven’t seen it, it’s a must-see. Definitely gonna buy this one, too!

It Comes at Night (2017) - Kinda disappointed with this one, to be honest. Spoilers below.

Spoiler

I’ve heard good things about this and was reallly looking forward to experiencing it myself. Unfortunately, I did not turn out the way I expected. The title of the film really makes it seem like there is a tangible, physical outside threat that leads to the fear and tension found throughout the film. Don’t get me wrong, there is a threat, it’s just not the kind the title makes it out to be. In other words, I was expecting a physical entity, not a disease. I believe the filmmakers wanted people to expect that. In fact, the DVD summary all but confirms this. This is where most of my disappointment stems from, I actually wanted to see a physical entity. Instead, the film focuses on the human aspect of an apocalyptic epidemic and the paranoia that results from it. The film always hints at what the disease actually does to a person, making me believe it’s a zombie disease, but it never really confirms this since most of what we know about it comes from Travis’ dreams and snippets of conversation between the characters. The ending is filled with tension and really drives home the human element it was striving for, that humans are monsters as well, and it is fear that turns us into it.

It’s not a bad film, by all means no. I can definitely see where the praise for this film comes from and it deserves it. It’s just not what I look for in a horror film. I don’t like the way the film deprives the audience of seeing the outside threat in its entirety, it’s frustrating. Trying to write it off as less important compared to the human element and focusing entirely on the human element... has been done before, and frankly it is boring. We already know how bad humans can be, we don’t need yet another movie telling us this. If I wanted to watch a drama film, I would’ve watched a drama film.

It’s a good film if that is what you look for in one, but other than that, it needs to be re-labeled as Drama, not Horror. Yes, I know it’s horrible, but being horrible isn’t enough to be a good horror film. For example, The Mist did a better job of driving home the significance of both an outside threat and the human threat. And the ending made you feel horrible as well, there, we all win. It Comes at Night is good, if you’re into that, but other than that, meh.

On 30/10/2017 at 1:42 AM, ScruffyTheStallion said:

interstella 5555 (2003)

p82947_d_v8_aa.jpg

Now THAT is a great film. Daft Punk's Discovery was already an amazing album, and then Toei Animation put its greatness into... stratospheric territory! :muffins:

large_FIN03_MLPony_1Sht_Teaser_25x38.jpg

Of course, my latest was Pones Film.

• Brohoof 2