Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favorite screenshots from the series thus far

Dzastur

I think this is my new favorite. I'm not entirely sure why, but I can't stop laughing every time I look at it!

Thank you for posting this. I saw it last night, and I was going to do the same. It's pretty hysterical!

For tonight:

z5wdf.jpg

"You do not hurt my friends!"

Her hoofs-on-the-hips animation a little later on is funny, but this is the first moment in the series that Fluttershy really asserts herself, and it shows in how low her eyes are compared to her brow, and the "grit" space between her two sets of teeth. I think the first one is the best, and this is why we love the Fluttershy. This girl would fight to the death if necessary. Or tickle an enemy until incapacitated.

Whenever I think of this scene, I think of the character of Sgt. Laverne Hooks in the Police Academy movies. I just searched to find YouTube videos and, sure enough, MLP: FiM fans have left comments on them. Marion Ramsey, the actress, has done Robot Chicken since; if Fluttershy's mom ever shows up, I vote that she do her voice. (Or, ramp up the comedy in the opposite direction by getting someone with a more gruff voice, like Jane Lynch.)

image.jpg

"Oh."

For me, this is Princess Luna's epiphany moment in the series, where she gets what's going on, and the viewers really buy into her being a sympathetic (eventually evolving into a heroic) character. Celestia has a good "I'm [human] after all" moment in "A Bird in the Hoof" when she does some funny stuff with her tea, but it doesn't make for as good of a still picture.

(edited)

ohlawdie_by_accellerant-d65bgkt.png

"IMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR!!!"

Somehow, this screenshot always gives me a good laugh. If only I had this in manly spike edition... Say, now that's a thought!

whatsgoingon_by_accellerant-d65bgkz.png

"Oh Celestia, what's going on?!"

This one always gives me a giggle as well and was even my wallpaper at one point. For whatever reason, the pony dressed up as a mummy had her eyes open the entire scene. Sure, it was to give some slight variance in the scene but it always cracked me up during Luna Eclipsed. 

composition_by_accellerant-d65bgl2.png

"Oh, sorry..."

I love this one for one simple reason, composition. 

tender_by_accellerant-d65bgkp.png

"<3!"

This screenshot always just felt warm and gave me the fuzzies.

feels_by_accellerant-d65bgl1.png

" ;-; " 

sad.png

Edited by Accellerant
  • Brohoof 7

scream.jpg

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

A little extra cartoony; I like when ponies other than Pinkie go into this mode. Also, there's a subtle backward glance by Rarity right before this screenshot when Twilight says, "There, standing right behind her..." - a great bit of detail.

(Hmm - looking at Applejack, maybe the quote for this one should be, "Aaugh!" ?)

Charliebrown-1-.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Bats.jpg

"Baaaaaaaatttts!

For me, things like these are where the series really differentiates itself: an angled, cinematic shot in a moment when it really isn't necessary. Twilight runs backwards left, goes into bat cave, Twilight runs forward right, hits tree. That would've been easy enough to animate. Instead, we get this before she hits the tree - if bats are in a scene, why not a horror film type of framing? And so here it is. It's extra polish, and there's nary an episode that doesn't have it.

• Brohoof 2

20121023143332!Rainbow_Dash_and_Flutters

Definitely this one from May the Best Pet Win. The first time I saw their faces look like this, I instantly thought of Charlie Brown and the other peanuts' characters when they sang, especially evident in the Christmas episode. They all sing like this laugh.png

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

French.jpg

"...and the overall design is reminiscent of prêt-à-porter and not true French haute couture...but, uh, you know, um, whatever you want to do is fine."

Fluttershy knows she's got it going on. For me, one of the best subtle character traits of all the Mane 6. She'd never let this get in the way of her kindness towards her friends, or her love of animals. Ironically, she doesn't even really want to be looked at. But the girl has her pride, and I love the way the artist has her standing here, legs crossed, and Rarity standing back after getting a lecture she wasn't expecting. (Between you and me, I don't think anypony cares that she uses hair extensions.)

Edited by John Mellenclop
  • Brohoof 4

"...and the overall design is reminiscent of prêt-à-porter and not true French haute couture...but, uh, you know, um, whatever you want to do is fine."

Fluttershy knows she's got it going on. For me, one of the best subtle character traits of all the Mane 6. She'd never let this get in the way of her kindness towards her friends, or her love of animals. Ironically, she doesn't even really want to be looked at. But the girl has her pride, and I love the way the artist has her standing here, legs crossed, and Rarity standing back after getting a lecture she wasn't expecting. (Between you and me, I don't think anypony cares that she uses hair extensions.)

laugh.png I do love that one. Really helps show why Rarity and Fluttershy are two of the closest of the group. Both fashion snobs, Rarity is just more obvious about it. I hope they get another co-starring episode in S4.

I also love that shot from DJRainbowDash... I think that's the happiest Fluttershy has ever been, getting to sing with her life-long friend about cute little animals.

Here's another fun Fluttershy shot. Hair hug yay.png

post-9686-0-42261800-1369450346_thumb.jpg

Amd another good one from Just For Sidekicks... Rainbow's bad poker face after Tank crashes. The sweat pouring off her forehead is perfect.

post-9686-0-48588600-1369451416_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

So, does anypony else think that these two pics are extremely similar?

640px-Gilda_snaps_red_background_speed_l

640px-Discord_freed_at_last_S03E10.png

It's the same pose, and the same background, but with slightly different colors. Nothing special, but definitely very interesting. Maybe Discord and Gilda are secretly best buds. tongue.png

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 7

(edited)

great i would post some of this pics myself if they weren't here, however:

i find lack of this disturbing 

154886__safe_pinkie-pie_screencap_too-ma

also this:

Rainbow_Dash_So_Awesome_S1E4.png

of course im sure there are many more, but i cant think of any smile.png

Edited by CutenessOverload
  • Brohoof 2

flutterride.jpg

Pretty simple as to why I like this one: it features each character giving one of their best facial expressions in the series.

Way to pimp your ride, Spike...

pissedpinkie.jpg

"Why?! Why?! WHY?!"

When I thought about this scene as the climax for Pinkie Pie confronting her friends about their deception, I was hoping there'd be a good screen shot which would visually say it all. You've got a party backdrop, the entire Mane 6, and a straight-haired Pinkie in full rage mode with a Pinkie-trademark cartoony element (her mouth). Really, I feel this still encapsulates the entire essence of "Party of One" - it would've been a good picture to send to the press to advertise the episode.

All of the images I love from the show would be far too numerous to list here, because I would have to list every single frame from every single episode. So, instead, I will list a few screenshots that have impacted me deeply, and provide explanations as to why they are especially important to me.

post-11863-0-79076300-1369645167_thumb.png

This screenshot exemplifies one of the most prevalent messages in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. In it, Princess Cadence and Shining Armor unite in their love to drive away Queen Chrysalis and her changelings. However, I believe that this is a symbolic image, and as such it represents both itself and another concept. I believe that this represents the love we must have in our hearts for each other in order for society to truly unite and exist in a peaceful, harmonious manner, such as Equestria. 

post-11863-0-17029500-1369645173_thumb.png

This screenshot depicts the crystal ponies uniting in a group meditation of love and light to defeat King Sombra. The Crystal Empire episodes were all highly symbolic in nature. The Crystal Empire could be understood to symbolize the ideal love and unity in a civilization that we should all strive for, by first filling our own hearts with love and light. King Sombra could be understood to symbolize the negative aspects of human emotion, such as hatred, fear, and anger, that stand between us and a peaceful, harmonious existence such as the existence the inhabitants of Equestria share. Therefore, we all must unite, filling ourselves and those around us with love and light, to destroy these negative emotions that prevent us from living in a peaceful world. 

post-11863-0-18919700-1369645159_thumb.png

This screenshot is important to me for the same reasons I described for the second screenshot. Also, it is absolutely beautiful. I love seeing Equestria at night. The lights shining through the windows of the humble cottages is touching beyond words, which joins with the aurora in the sky created by the crystal ponies to present an absolutely beautiful composition.

post-11863-0-83170400-1369645181_thumb.png

This screenshot is important to me for the same reasons I described for the second screenshot. It is also beautiful. The aurora created by the crystal ponies serving as a backdrop to the focal point of this composition, Twilight Sparkle, with a sunset sky in the background is an excellent touch. 

post-11863-0-86353600-1369645203_thumb.png 

This screenshot of Spike writing a letter to Princess Celestia from the episode Dragon Quest is absolutely beautiful. The full effect of this scene is wondrous, when first birds flying happily against a backdrop of a blue sky and the sun is shown, and then panning through the window to where Spike is sitting. This is an excellent example of one of the things I love about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, how nuanced it is. In this context, the art in this show is beautifully nuanced. There are countless examples where the artists put in extra, often small bits of beauty that are not necessary to the story, but yet add so much to the show. 

post-11863-0-19765400-1369645165_thumb.png

I find how magnificently they are illuminated in this screenshot to be moving. Plus, Pinkie Pie is so adorable in this picture. 

post-11863-0-91623900-1369645169_thumb.png

I love scenes of Equestria at night, and this one of Princess Celestia flying off into the distance, about to teleport to Canterlot, is absolutely beautiful. 

post-11863-0-24254500-1369645200_thumb.png

I love the depictions of Twilight Sparkle's library home. They are so beautiful, all the way from the intricate spirals, to how well the artists incorporated the fact that it is inside a tree throughout the structures in her home.

post-11863-0-13804600-1369645178_thumb.png

I love all of the depictions of the Apple Family's house and farm, but this one is especially touching, due to the two comets in the sky that may symbolize Apple Jack's parents.

post-11863-0-33311100-1369645207_thumb.png

I love depictions of the Everfree Forest, and Zecora's Hut is one of my favorite examples.

post-11863-0-24728100-1369645175_thumb.png

I find this screenshot to be very interesting, as well as touching. It shows that Princess Luna is there for ponies with nightmares, and no matter how frightening they might be, she is ready and able to bring wisdom and comfort.

post-11863-0-97101000-1369645217_thumb.jpg

This is a screenshot from Sleepless in Ponyville, when Princess Luna is exiting Scootaloo's second nightmare after imparting wisdom and comfort to her. I find it to be absolutely beautiful.

post-11863-0-68526300-1369645155_thumb.png

I love all depictions of the animals in Equestria, but this scene where they are comforting Fluttershy from the episode Hurricane Fluttershy is especially touching.

post-11863-0-89584900-1369645161_thumb.png 
This screenshot from Owl's Well That Ends Well showing the ponies gathering around to watch a meteor shower is absolutely beautiful.

This is not a comprehensive list of every image from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic that I find to be beautiful, touching, inspirational, and moving.

• Brohoof 6

flutternom.jpg

NOM NOM NOM

She's not rescuing this squirrel; she drops it on its little furry butt and runs right after this screenshot.

What the hell were her plans with it?

Maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea for a social worker to stop by her house every once in awhile...

Best screenshots?

Hmmmm.....

post-15992-0-40481200-1369669190.gifpost-15992-0-02297900-1369669202.gifpost-15992-0-00509400-1369669225_thumb.gifpost-15992-0-09508300-1369669235.gifpost-15992-0-58746500-1369669263_thumb.gifpost-15992-0-79390300-1369669271.gifpost-15992-0-06306900-1369669275_thumb.gifpost-15992-0-28057100-1369669369_thumb.png post-15992-0-88451300-1369669432_thumb.pngpost-15992-0-30493100-1369669595.png

Twi and Flutters being chickens.

Applejack's face as she jumps onto the bed.... :D

Fiddlesticks was just so smooth here...

Besties secret hoofshake!

Dash being a boss...

Now whenever I say 'crazy,' I do what Twi's doing.

Something must be implied here....

Rarity. Wat r u doin.

Applejack: Oooooohhhhh!

Rainbow Dash being awesome.

Rarity being skeptical.

post-15992-0-69852700-1369669445_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

This 1 always makes me laugh biggrin.png, it's from Episode 1 Season 1

it was when twilight goes to the apple farm and meets applejack tongue.png XD

Here's the photo:

post-14350-0-69595100-1369670875_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2

twilightlecture.jpg

"But...I'm supposed to send you a letter about friendship every week..."

"Lesson Zero" is...well, it's just great. This screenshot would probably better be shown as a short animation to illustrate what they've accomplished here dramatically, but it still works. The slow reveal of Twilight and Princess Celestia with the in-focus / out of focus shift on Spike is an excellent touch of cinematography; more importantly, as I've gone on about before, it's something you just don't see in most daytime cartoons. Also, I love the way Spike twists his tail as his best friend is twisting in the wind.

• Brohoof 1

img-1506412-1-twilightlecture.jpg

"But...I'm supposed to send you a letter about friendship every week..."

"Lesson Zero" is...well, it's just great. This screenshot would probably better be shown as a short animation to illustrate what they've accomplished here dramatically, but it still works. The slow reveal of Twilight and Princess Celestia with the in-focus / out of focus shift on Spike is an excellent touch of cinematography; more importantly, as I've gone on about before, it's something you just don't see in most daytime cartoons. Also, I love the way Spike twists his tail as his best friend is twisting in the wind.

Oh yes, definitely. The framing throughout that entire scene is brilliant. For example, they visually show how imposing Celestia looks to Twilight just from the camera angles:

i-knR36Bm-M.png

• Brohoof 5

Oh yes, definitely. The framing throughout that entire scene is brilliant. For example, they visually show how imposing Celestia looks to Twilight just from the camera angles:

img-1507212-2-i-knR36Bm-M.png

I like your screenshot better than mine. That's one of my favorite stills of Celestia.

The angles are indeed an important and really cool nuance in the series. It's one of the reasons I recommend at least one or two film classes to almost everyone I know, because you get so much more out of the moving picture medium in general afterwards.

• Brohoof 2

Small pictures and small appearances but I just like them for some reason. ThunderLane just looks funny there and RainbowDash as a male. Fantastic.

post-14906-0-31258200-1369811609.jpg

post-14906-0-88009100-1369811622.jpg

• Brohoof 3