Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your opinion on the Call of Duty series?

Groo

You're opinion on the Call of Duty series?   

76 users have voted

1. 1. What is You're opinion on the Call of Duty series?

• Its amazing, I try to buy every game!
    • I own a couple, they are crazy fun!
    • a own one and its pretty good!
    • I do not own any but i plan on getting a copy.
    • I do not own any and dont plan on owning any.
    • Its the same dumb thing over and over.
    • KILL IT WITH FIRE!

It's fun. I like it.

I should probably mention that it has nothing to do with the content or the lore.

I just like shooting people!

It's great fun with friends.

I'm not allowed to punch them in real life so I blow them up in-game instead!

As just a game series I don't really mind it, even if it recycles a lot of things every year it at least tries some fresh ideas and from what I have seen they have a sense of irony with the story (at least they did in COD:MW1, honestly I didn't play any of the games after that). It's not really something that appeal to me a lot being more of a fan of wacky FPS games, but it's good for it's genre.

The community on the other hand, oh blimey is that bad and the single reason I only tried MW1's multiplayer once and never looked back. My Playstation message inbox got spammed by some bastard calling me a noob un-ironically, in a Free For All match where I wasn't even on last place, and I have heard how bad it is on Xbox, so just wow, no. Also parents, stop letting your kids play this game, for the good of everyone involved.

I'm not really a fan of any FPS's, and CoD really isn't anything special. I've seen what they make, and yeah, it's a lot of the same things. In the end, it's adding just enough to make a new game. But look past that, and the games aren't bad. You get many of the same things, yeah. That doesn't make it a bad game, I'd say. Sure, it means the series isn't innovative, but the games are still playable. Very much so, in fact.

At the very least, it does NOT deserve it's infamy.

Well the games are kind of going up and down, MW2 great game! MW1 was a great game too! then 3... which sucked ass...

Black ops 1 ahh.... Black ops 2 was not to bad... it was ahh so so..

But at the end of the day would I say the games are the best FPS out there? no... I would say they are So So.

I'd have to say that the Call of Duty franchise has went downhill after MW2. Black Ops I wasn't the best but, it sure beats Black Ops II when you compare the two. The franchise itself has the copy & paste formula.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'm not a huge fan of FPS or rather "modern-military-shooter" genre, so I don't like it very much and I think we can objectively say it's quite redundant, like, say, FIFA games, gets a new release every year, tho it's pretty much the same thing over and over.

If you enjoy the multiplayer, I'd say it might be worth it, but if not and you take a look at the very, very short, linear and simple SP and the pricetag, it's pretty terrible ratio of fun / money.

Personal opinion: Let it finally die and come with something new and innovative, rather than doing copy-paste for yet another decade. 

• Brohoof 1

I look at the Call of Duty series as a guilty pleasure. A lot of my friends buy every single one so I usually just borrow one from them when I want to play an interactive Michael Bay movie. I don't much care for the multiplayer but their single players can be fun for the 4-6 hours while they last. They end pretty much at the point where they start to become boring for me.

I own a few of them, I mostly liked the series back when it was World War II(sans World at War and The Finest Hour), but I really enjoyed Modern Warfare

To be honest, the only thing I liked about the CoD series are zombies. Multiplayer is just broken and lackluster now, especially in BO2, where Treyarch does not bother dealing with hackers, cheaters, and players with obscene emblems. To top it off, they also don't fix the servers around, so instead of trying to fix up the broken servers, even putting up dedicated servers on the consoles and on PC, they're just practically busy counting their money from their budget, so they're like "Oh, we don't have to worry about the broken servers and children screaming around, even cheaters and hackers... that's not our problem anyways.", which proves how useless they are.

If I want a new CoD game, I want single-player campaign modes. Multiplayer's out of the question if Treyarch, or even Infinity Ward, can't pay attention to the fans or the problematic servers, especially when its plagued by hackers, cheaters, and children running on about.

• Brohoof 2

CoD is alright. It honestly doesn't really appeal to me, but it's got some good, solid game play, and great multiplayer. It's just a bit... soulless to me. There's not much emotion in my opinion. Plus, I can't stand war, (especially modern warfare) so that doesn't help.

• Brohoof 1

CoD 5 and CoD 4 were by far the best. They both had great storylines, fun multiplayer (which is sadly overrun with hackers now and has much fewer players online), and introduced us to some now-famous characters.

But after 2008, the series went downhill. :(

MW2 Had a decent campaign, but has horribly unbalanced weapons in MP and a less-than-exciting bonus spec ops mode. Also why are the Russians in the campaign using either weapons that Russia stopped producing 30 years ago (AK47, RPG-7, RPD, etc.) or weapons that are produced exclusively by NATO countries? That never made much sense to me.

Black Ops had a lot of plot holes in its campaign (just how do those magic numbers work, anyway??), horribly anachronistic weapons with incorrect firing rates, and of course, the dreaded rc-xd in multiplayer. The only reason why I kept that game was for the zombies.

MW3 should have just been called Modern Warfare 2.5 for obvious reasons.

Black Ops 2 was an improvement. Its campaign is good, its multiplayer is okay (it has its issues though), but its zombie maps are either horribly overcomplicated and over-the-top (Tranzit, Origins), or simple and boring (Nuketown Zombies, Transit stops). Buried was pretty good, though.

CoD: Ghosts just looks like another cliche modern/near future FPS game that revolves around US special forces. Totally hasn't been done before, guys!

Hopefully, the developers will realize that they need to put more effort into their games, but that probably won't happen until CoD game sales go down significantly.

Until then, Call of Duty will continue being the Guitar Hero of the FPS genre: Same shit, different year.

• Brohoof 2

I understand that a ton of players aren't what you would call sophisticated.

I don't own any copy, though I've played a demo of MW3, which lost my attention soon after. I have played CoD 4, and I was overall satisfied with its multiplayer. If I have the spare time, I may just buy one or two to play through the singleplayer, and if they show merit, the multiplayer.

Since this isn't an option, I feel that It's the same crap over and over again, but I buy it every year, because It's CoD. Everyone buys CoD and Madden/NCAA games. It's just America. I buy them because all my friends do, but I only play it when my friends are. Otherwise, it's at the bottom of my game stack.

Edited by Hyper Tumble

The series is extremely "meh" to me. Black Ops is fun to play split screen with a friend to me but other than that, they're just really dull and uninteresting to me. It's pretty much the same thing over and over again, but other games do that and they don't get flak for it. The fans who think COD is the only good game series is what annoys me. Gears of War is the only popular shooter game series that's average to good to me. 

I only own two, those being the two newest games MW3 and Black Ops II. I absolutely LOVED MW3. That game was great and I thought the campaign was amazing and survival mode was loads of fun. The multiplayer maps were also very fun for the most part. Black Ops II on the other hand..... I did not like Black Ops II very much. The multiplayer maps were either really good or downright atrocious, I absolutely despised the campaign and honestly the only part I really enjoyed was zombies, especially the Mob of The Dead DLC. So yes for what I have played of the COD series I have enjoyed it and I am planning on buying Ghosts when it comes out.

The way I see it is this, Call of Duty IS fun. There is no doubt about that. Sure, it can be incredibly frustrating but at the same time it is addicting. I have played a lot of it.

The thing is though, the campaigns are usually mediocre and cliché at best and the worst problem, they are clear proof that Activision doesn't really care about the consumer. Just pump out nearly the same game every year and people will just eat it up. Even Ghosts is just running on a modified version of the same damn engine that the series has been using for over 8 years or so.

Each game is hyped to the damn moon as if it is going to be the greatest thing ever when they are good at best. Good IS good, but with the hype, it is pathetically low par in comparison. The games are not pushing any boundaries, not making any substantial changes, and any slight changes that they do make, they hype it to the moon as well and most games have already done it and done it better. Examples: They are hyping up the 'destruction' aspect a lot when it is only limited destruction to specific areas on a map. In contrast, Battlefield Bad Company 2 did full building destruction with building collapsing in multiplayer and this was in 2010! Another thing that is hyped up is the 'squad' aspect. Guess what? Bad Company 2 did that really well and better as well, back in 2010. What is so revolutionary about this one again? I wouldn't care if it was or not, if it wasn't for the idiotic hype machine that surrounds the games.

Another HUGE thing that bothers me, is this season pass crap. The season pass for Ghosts is on sale RIGHT NOW. The game isn't out for another month. The price is $50, almost the price of the game itself and for what? DLC. This is horrendous. The fact that it is called a 'season pass' just shows how stupid it is. "Hey, you are only pay $110 for one game! Don't worry, there will be another one just like it NEXT year (season)'. Really, that is an insult and a pretty terrible way to do DLC. They could easily put that in the game before launch or at least some of it.

So, in short, they are fun, but not worthy of a full $60 purchase EVERY SINGLE YEAR, $110 if you count that STUPID season pass like many seem to do. If anything, just wait until it comes up used. At least then money won't directly go into Activison's pockets. People hate on Hasbro for really stupid stuff, they apparently don't know Activision.

Also, the series is INSANELY overrated in my opinion and it has one of the worst fan bases ever.

Despite the fact that I'm voting for the top option, while I do buy everything, I'm not in the boat that says It's the best game ever. I got Black Ops, liked it, didn't touch multiplayer, then got Black Ops 2 and tried the Modern Warfare series, liked them, love Black Ops 2, and no, I'm not a "Quickscope or go to hell" person.

I like to compare it to hanging out with family. When you get with it for a while, It's awesome, but after that time frame you just want them to shut up and go home. It's the same way with CoD, It's great, but It's easy to get burnt out on.

As for the small, run-n-gun style, I like it. It keeps you in the action a lot and keeps you on your toes. While it can get annoying, overall It's fun.

The only problems I have with it is the community, and some of the more questionable additions. I mean, I'm a teenager and I find that the 7-18 community is awful, and like someone said earlier, their answer to everything is "that's not what your mom said last night lololol". And I also hate things like Target Finders, I mean, really?

Overall, I would call myself a CoD fan, but I know It's flaws and It's not the only game I play.

I've played every CoD from CoD 4 to Black Ops 2, I've prestiged 30+ times online.the annoying ids? I Mute them...and I'm usually in  party chat with friends anyways.

But i yea, I voted for it's the same dumb thing over and over, because it is... I play it because it's good for a quick game to play online with friends. Yea, there's days I jsut rage at the game because of campers, quickscopers or "clans" that think theyr're "Good or the shit" for trapping a spawn. NO camping a spawn is not a strategy, and it doesn't make you a "good" player...I avoid clans because 90% of them suck and have to camp the various spawns. and it's the same crap in EVERY CoD.

I've only bought each one since MW2 just to "keep up"with friends who are also playing the latest one. because when the next CoD come comes out the previous one instantly goes to crap and is usually unplayable because of hacks or whatever.

[/rant]

But with GTA V out this year, I don't think me or any of my friends that play online are going to bother with Ghosts.if anything, we're probably gonna go to Battlefield, even if you still get the same campers, and clans that spawn camp.

Though we're most likely gonna stick to GTA V, if Rockstar can fix their shit.

• Brohoof 1

Black Ops Zombies was the bomb... that's all I'm gonna say... well, actually I've got more to say... World at War, Modern Warfare, MW2 and Black Ops were epic as hell... but I started to feel it was the same thing over and over on MW3... not gonna buy Ghosts, I totally agree with , If Rockstar fixes its crap, I'll stay with GTA Online, if not... BF4 all the way!

A lot of people don't understand that video games fall in to one of 2 categories:

1. Art form
  2. Business product 

Very rarely does a developer make a game as an art form that has no interest in being a source of revenue, and even then, I'm sure they wouldn't put time and money in to a project if they knew they wouldn't make any money out of it. You might not like it but that's the way it works. Call of Duty has consistently been the best selling franchise in video game history (we'll have to wait and see if COD: Ghosts outdoes GTA: IV one released) so it's obviously doing something right. If the game is as bad as, supposedly everyone, suggests it wouldn't be taking billions of dollars. You can't hate a company for having the intentions of creating something that will make it a lot of money.

Sure you can argue that the graphics stay the same, but they really don't. Developers hire programmers specifically for coding and updating the engine which often happens thought the games entire development process. No video game engine stay unchanged from the start of development to the end and I've found that most of these people contradict themselves later by saying graphics have no say in how good a game is. I feel like the real hate come from the the poor stereotype it's community members have been thrown under by fans of other games just because a few people talk rubbish when playing, every video game community has those kinds of players.

Don't think that because I've defended the series above that it means I think COD the greatest thing ever created. The only real appeal for me personally is that because of Activision's speedy network architecture, I can start up a game and get thrown into a multiplayer match in about a minute. Nothing else I play sets up matches that fast. If battlefield 3 did believe me, I'd be playing that instead of COD.

Rules of cod:

Everyone is a cutthroat 12 year old who has f*cked your mum

Everyone is already better than you

Only f*ggots use shot guns

All arguments are settled with 1v1 quickscopes

Everyone camps

Everyone is angry

99% of custom emblems are dicks

Every one lifts

• Brohoof 2

I can not even begin to understand the appeal in this type of game. I guess I just don't really care for violence in my games. However, I'm not going to knock it down to spite those who enjoy it. Even if the series gets called "more of the same", many of my beloved franchises (like Pokemon and Animal Crossing) constantly get called "more of the same" as well, and I don't care. If somebody enjoys every COD installment, I can't see anything wrong with that.

• Brohoof 2