Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Okay, Scoot's wings are just not big enough yet. Looks at Snowflake. Um...

Never2muchpinkie

Okay, I think this comic here perfectly illustrates the topic title. 038-Yeaaaaaah.jpgWe can pass off Pound Cake being able to fly as just going by instinct like Pumpkin, but...this. Right above. I know he's a joke pony and some have compared his wings to being the result of the pony version reaction to steroids, but how can you not think Scootaloo is disabled with Snowflake around?

• Brohoof 5

I think that some people are in denial because that would make them feel ashamed for all of the chicken jokes they made about her for being disabled.

And others are disheartened because they want her to be able to fly with Dash.

It's not all bad, though.

I mean hopefully, we can get an episode about disability in Season 4 out of it featuring Scoots.

Besides, wasn't it established in 'Showstoppers' that her special talent has nothing to do with flying because of her dancing abilities she showed off when helping Applebloom?

• Brohoof 2

by alrights pegesi wings in MLP are too small and shouldn't even work in the first place, Look at other depictions of pegesus in other art styles. There wingspans are enormous.

Equestrian Pegesi wings work though magic, its how such small wings can lift them off the ground and probably why Dash can fly at supersonic speed without dropping dead from a heart attack from shear exhaustion.

If pegesus flight is magic enabled and Scootaloo's is some how defective it would explain why she can't fly while ponies with smaller wings yet bigger body mass can. 

Edited by Malinter

I think that some people are in denial because that would make them feel ashamed for all of the chicken jokes they made about her for being disabled.

It's not all bad, though.

I mean hopefully, we can get an episode about disability in Season 4 out of it featuring Scoots.

Besides, wasn't it established in 'Showstoppers' that her special talent has nothing to do with flying because of her dancing abilities she showed off when helping Applebloom?

I'm pretty sure there is a episode about her in S4. If you watched the preview for S4, it makes it pretty clear there will (Most likely) be a video about her disability. Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara are making fun of her cause she can't fly. So I'm guessing in S4 there's an episode about her.

Why does everyone assume it's a disability? Some people are simply late bloomers. Her wings do work, you saw her on that scooter, it's probably just a mater of time before they are capable of flight. 

283px-Scootaloo-scooter-animation.gif

Edited by Outkin

I'm pretty sure there is a episode about her in S4. If you watched the preview for S4, it makes it pretty clear there will (Most likely) be a video about her disability. Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara are making fun of her cause she can't fly. So I'm guessing in S4 there's an episode about her.

I know, I'm just saying probably because in Season 3 fans were expecting a Rarity episode and it never came for various reasons and just in case the episode is scrapped, pulled, or altered for such reasons I'm protecting myself from possible future trolling attacking me for being wrong.

• Brohoof 1

The answer is simple really, pegasi can fly in large part because they have a large amount of helium inside. Some younger pegasi may have excesses of helium that allow them to fly sooner than others like Pound Cake.

Don't believe me? Lauren Faust said it herself:

@MidgardDragon @tarastrong The only gas pegasi pass is helium, so their poops float. A large heard of pegasi can create a literal sh*t storm

https://twitter.com/Fyre_flye/status/290354348775591936

Case in point with this illustration:

pegasi_fart_helium_by_roycalbeck-d5rmmxm

• Brohoof 2

The answer is simple really, pegasi can fly in large part because they have a large amount of helium inside. Some younger pegasi may have excesses of helium that allow them to fly sooner than others like Pound Cake.

Haha yeah I remember when she said this xD

But anyways, I don't think it only has to do with the size of her wings. I think that it's more likely that it is because she haven't really learned yet and well.. Maybe the helium matters haha xD

• Brohoof 1

Hows it go?

Its not the size that counts, its how you use them. ;)

Anyway, I have the utmost confidence that before, the show comes to an end, poor lil scoots will indeed fly.

Edited by Argumedies

It's not all bad, though.

I mean hopefully, we can get an episode about disability in Season 4 out of it featuring Scoots.

Besides, wasn't it established in 'Showstoppers' that her special talent has nothing to do with flying because of her dancing abilities she showed off when helping Applebloom?

Well, not necessarily dancing moves. She shows she has a definite athletic ability. I think, giver scootaloo/scooter that she's going to have a scooter related cutie mark.

That is the episode I'm most looking forward too. Scootaloo has shown that she can at least hover with her wings for a very brief period, compared to an earlier episode where she could only lift the back part of her body while her head was in the dirt.

Why does everyone assume it's a disability? Some people are simply late bloomers. Her wings do work, you saw her on that scooter, it's probably just a mater of time before they are capable of flight. 

img-1974961-1-283px-Scootaloo-scooter-an

Well, people think that because I read that was Faust's original intention with Scootaloo. But just like with Applejack's parents being dead it can't be implemented in the show because of the candy and sweetness world they lived in would make that too sad. I'm making a fanfic about this where Scootaloo gets a scooter cutie mark, and even after she can fly she still mostly uses her wings as an aid to her scootering because Rainbow Dash, after the whole becoming sisters thing, told her that she should find her own legend instead of just being a clone of her. "I don't want your legend to be in my shadow. I want you to stand beside me in the sun."

Honestly I don't think scoots has a disability. A cutie mark is magic right? and wings are magic enabled so scoots needs her cutie mark  to use her wings correctly.

Unforunately, in the show, we have often seen blank flank pegasuses who can fly. Pound Cake is one, I think Rumble is another. Heck, Rainbow Dash got her cutie mark after she was already a really proficient flier.

• Brohoof 1

Well, not necessarily dancing moves. She shows she has a definite athletic ability. I think, giver scootaloo/scooter that she's going to have a scooter related cutie mark.

That is the episode I'm most looking forward too. Scootaloo has shown that she can at least hover with her wings for a very brief period, compared to an earlier episode where she could only lift the back part of her body while her head was in the dirt.

Well, people think that because I read that was Faust's original intention with Scootaloo. But just like with Applejack's parents being dead it can't be implemented in the show because of the candy and sweetness world they lived in would make that too sad. I'm making a fanfic about this where Scootaloo gets a scooter cutie mark, and even after she can fly she still mostly uses her wings as an aid to her scootering because Rainbow Dash, after the whole becoming sisters thing, told her that she should find her own legend instead of just being a clone of her. "I don't want your legend to be in my shadow. I want you to stand beside me in the sun."

Actually....AJ's parents were confirmed to be dead. They were confirmed and implicated in Apple Family Reunion. They did the whole stars thing in the end to show. Plus, there lacked pictures. Edited by Scootadress
  • Brohoof 1

It's called Rule of Funny, sometimes in a work that has a heavily leaning towards humor the writers will occasionally violate the way something should work if it's for the sake of a funny joke, in this case Snowflake or Poundcake being able to fly makes little sense but is excused because it's funny. 

Omigod! Now all that Flutters has to do is scoot in and give Scoots a hug. I would give her a hug. Poor little Scoots. Someone needs to come in and give her a jetpack!

there is this fan fiction called "The cutie mark crusaders before they changed the world" It solidifys the fact that Pegasi can fly through magic. the only reason scoots cant fly is because, that Rainbow dash isn't teaching her how to control the magic, but instead just showing her tricks, it's also adds Sweetie bot into the story, and bloom is a scarecrow thing. it's really good and stuff.

Dude, soo deep man, that's like... genius and stuff. wow ,i think i need to lie down for a bit, relax my brain and stuff... wow..

meh, that is a good line though.

Unforunately, in the show, we have often seen blank flank pegasuses who can fly. Pound Cake is one, I think Rumble is another. Heck, Rainbow Dash got her cutie mark after she was already a really proficient flier.

Ok, I get the point but, somepony's don't catch on very fast and some do. Like how you have an English test and it's on something you're really like but you don't get it. (no offence)

• Brohoof 1

Well if you ask me flying is more about having physical power. Pound Cake is the best example. I think Pound Cakes super strength he has, is being manipulated into his wings giving him the power to fly. It could be Scootaloo wings are just very weak.

One problem I think we all still have is, we don't really know how flying work in their world.

How old is a pegasus when they start flying in an area that is in the sky compared to one that is on the ground?
Does it go away at some point or does it stay after they get off the ground?

There are just so many questions they need to be answered.

Actually....AJ's parents were confirmed to be dead. They were confirmed and implicated in Apple Family Reunion. They did the whole stars thing in the end to show. Plus, there lacked pictures.

Yes, from an OUTSIDE perspective we know they are dead. However, it's not going to be said IN-UNIVERSE because that would be too sad of an episode.

there is this fan fiction called "The cutie mark crusaders before they changed the world" It solidifys the fact that Pegasi can fly through magic. the only reason scoots cant fly is because, that Rainbow dash isn't teaching her how to control the magic, but instead just showing her tricks, it's also adds Sweetie bot into the story, and bloom is a scarecrow thing. it's really good and stuff.

Dude, soo deep man, that's like... genius and stuff. wow ,i think i need to lie down for a bit, relax my brain and stuff... wow..

meh, that is a good line though.

Glad you like the line. I'm on the downward arc for that fic, having cleared the top of the mountain and getting ready to coast down the other side. In other words, it's over half done. =) I'll be glad to share it with you when it's ready if you're interested.

scootaloo is just a child and has small wings so she is not strong enough to fly

but even though snowflakes wings are small...just look at him, he obviously has the strength to fly with them

I think a point which everypony is ignoring is the fact that Scootaloo seems to be native to Ponyville, a primarily Earth Pony city. She did not go to flight school or have many dealings with pegasi in Ponyville. I think it's not a case of physical capability. Rather, she does not have the knowledge and technique to be able to use her wings properly.

Well, Scootaloo's wings are not big enough because she is still developing/growing so it will take a while for her wings to mature as well as her body when she gets older. As for Snowflake, his wings might be small but he should probably have the strength to still fly with small wings.

There was a pic that showed Rarity holding a 24 karat ruby. A real life 24 karat ruby would be big enough to fit on a large ring, yet compared to Rarity it's as big as a football. There exists the possibility that the Hasbro toys (the princess sized ones) are actually to scale with the ponies in the show. They really would be my little ponies, big enough to fit into your hand. and given their proportion to everything else surrounding them, their planet might be 100x smaller than ours. 

A planet that small wouldn't have that strong a gravity, so it would be easy for a pony with such disproportionate wings to fly around at such high speeds. It would also explain why ponies in general tend to be so strong and durable overall. 

As to why Scootaloo can't fly? Maybe she just hasn't felt the need. She does live in a town primarily inhabited by earth ponies. There just isn't much incentive when just about everything she needs is at ground level.

There was a pic that showed Rarity holding a 24 karat ruby. A real life 24 karat ruby would be big enough to fit on a large ring, yet compared to Rarity it's as big as a football. There exists the possibility that the Hasbro toys (the princess sized ones) are actually to scale with the ponies in the show. They really would be my little ponies, big enough to fit into your hand. and given their proportion to everything else surrounding them, their planet might be 100x smaller than ours. 

A planet that small wouldn't have that strong a gravity, so it would be easy for a pony with such disproportionate wings to fly around at such high speeds. It would also explain why ponies in general tend to be so strong and durable overall. 

As to why Scootaloo can't fly? Maybe she just hasn't felt the need. She does live in a town primarily inhabited by earth ponies. There just isn't much incentive when just about everything she needs is at ground level.

It seems unlikely to me. An object that small would have trouble functioning as a planet. A planet needs to have a certain amount of mass to be able to sustain life. A good example of this is Mars. Mars, in every other respect, had the conditions necessary to sustain life. But it is smaller than Earth.

What does that mean? Planets that are below a certain size threshold do not have a strong enough gravity to maintain an atmosphere. And no atmosphere= no protection from cosmic forces= no life. So while it was an interesting thought, if we are to assume MLP has physics which are not too different from are own, the planet MLP is on must be a certain size. And aside from sonic rainbooms and the presence of magic, nothing in MLP seems to defy IRL physics.

Well, other than this wing thing. But like others have suggested, wings could be rudders more so than thrusters, and pegasi might have flight magic, more than the physical ability to fly.

I think it more likely the ruby thing was more to get the point across that it is supposed to be valuable, since it is a big shiny rock, and writers simply did not care to make the gem to scale. They just picked any number.

And yeah, I'm surprised more people haven't noted that Scoots is in an Earth Pony town.

Edited by BalanceBrony
  • Brohoof 1