NavelColt

S04:E03 - Castle Mane-ia  

393 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Yeah it was pretty obvious that Pinkie was playing the organ. I almost thought it was going to be someone else but it just had to be Pinkie. She really shined in this episode despite not having as much screentime as the others though I feel, so I didn't mind. :lol:

Not a real memorable episode. I do enjoy slapstick from time to time, but for the majority of the episode i didn't have the feeling it was heading to anything. Instead of the characters running from basically everything that has a screw loose, the opportunity to add a little more mystery and lore to the castle was missed, i think. Too "scooby doo-ish" for my taste.

I was hoping for the "Pony of shadows" to be actually be given more time to develop as an antagonist, like the episode synopsis implied. He or it appeared for a total of 3 to 5 seconds, and i seriously hope that this appearance isn't just to fill in the clichéd role of disproving the main characters that it is just a silly old legend that nobody actually believes in.

I also really, really dont think that this is Zecora like some have suggested, while she did have yellow eyes under the hood, it was done for dramatic purposes. Zecora has already been established as an trustworthy ally and she's been given that introduction long ago. We're either (hopefully) looking at the first glimpse of a new villain lurking in the darkness, or a 5 second "addition" to make the episode more spooky... But why stir interest for nothing, right?

What i did enjoy was the throwback, in a way, to the old messages about friendship only now in a journal form, keeping track of their adventures, if it has some use later on then that would be even better. Before the episode aired i had a slight feeling that Twilight would make this her own castle, but thankfully that was put to rest.

And eh, anyone else starting to wonder who that admiral/general pony is on that painting? He's appeared twice now already. The first being the MMMExpress. Maybe it's just there for filler, but it's the old castle of the royal sisters... Whoever he is, he's a pretty important historic character no doubt, on par with Starswirl but different.

because I feel too lazy at the moment to make a big "spoiler" post...

I'll just give you my opinion spoiler free...

I loved this episode.

I really really did...

why? because I don't know if anypony else felt it, but the writing had a very "lauren faust" feel to it...

I have to admit, while I enjoyed season 3, I couldn't help but feel that the show's mood in the writing

was different...it felt a bit too "try hard" at times, and felt a bit watered down...but this episode!...this one 

feels like the older season 1's did...it had an interesting premise, featured all of the mane 6...and made some really

great jokes, references...but mainly, it had a more "adult" feel to it...and by that, I mean it had a feel 

that was more matured and intelligent...which is what I loved about season 1, 2...this episode was 

a great reminder to me about why I love this show so much. Also big congrats to Josh Haber, the writer for this episode.

I'm pretty sure this is his first story in the series, so I'm very stoked to see more of his work! 

Out of 5? I give this a 4.2...a pretty solid episode...

• Brohoof 2

I thought it was pretty obvious that Pinkie was the one playing the organ. The other five were in the castle, so it only made sense to be her. I'm glad that that wasn't just the ending, and there was an actual cliffhanger.

I was really expecting some larger significance to the "star spiders." We first saw them menacingly surrounding Spike, then they were referenced by name later by Fluttershy. I was surprised when we got to the end of the episode and they never returned. I also wonder if the star spiders may have been created in part by Nightmare Moon's dark magic, hence the stars. Perhaps foreshadowing for a later episode?

This episode raises a lot of questions about the past...

• Why did Celestia and Luna have a hallway of disembodied pony legs in their castle?
  • Why was their castle filled with booby traps?
  • Why was a giant organ built to control said booby traps?

Seems kinda shady to me... 

But overall, it was a fun episode. I liked the Scooby-Doo feel to it, and it had some great moments!

Despite a lack of sleep (and pesky mosquitoes to boot, blasted Australian summers!) and avoiding the leaked episode and spoilers for a few days, it's time to provide my thoughts on the episode.

First and foremost, the episode itself.....I'll let my tweet sum it up:

"What an episode. It was definitely worth the wait. Enjoyed watching it from start to finish."

When the episode leaked a couple of days ago, some of the first reviews and reactions that I briefly read were mainly in the "must watch" range, and they were not kidding when they said that this episode was going to be a classic and they were spot on.

It was nice to see some of the classic elements of the Mane 6 from the earlier seasons being on display in this episode, especially seeing Rarity being hysterical, Twilight showing off her adorkable side and Fluttershy being concerned about Angel going missing and being worried to the point of tears.

Story wise, this episode was well written with a few scenes either having me in stitches or even a hair raising moment to boot, and also seeing some of the classic aspects of the show also returning (e.g. friendship reports) in the form of the diary is also a great addition.

Overall, this episode has to be one of my favourites in this season so far.

• Brohoof 1

I love episodes where they can feature everypony.

One question I have in particular was how much convincing/threatening did Rarity have to do to get Fluttershy to go into the Everfree Forest? Also, Fluttershy was the ONLY pony who made any sense in this episode. She was the only one who didn't even want to be there. She just got dragged along :lol: 

All in all, I loved this episode. Fluttershy was my favorite character in this episode. And some of my favorite Fluttershy scenes.

"Raaaaarity....I know hiding isn't your sense of humor...but please let this be a joke!" *bink* *ORGAN* *hyperventilation*

"Angel! Rarity! Oh I hope you two are together..." It was like she was trying to scream for them but she couldn't scream because she was so afraid. Also, the way she was backing up was freaking adorable too :wub:

And of course, Angel's "death." When Applejack knocked that pillar over, the pure horror, shock, and distress in her face and voice was just heart-wrenching. And when she learned that he was okay, the look of pure embarrassment. Poor thing. I just wanted to give her a hug and tell her she was okay through the whole thing.

My other favorite in this was Rarity. My favorite Rarity scenes were

When she put her foreleg around Rainbow. "I felt something! Alive!"

When the tapestry was falling on her, and that aerial shot of her was adorable. When she finally broke, “I was only trying to restore ancient works of art!!”

That and when Rainbow asked what Flutters was doing there and Rarity said, “She’s with me.” Two things make this funny to me: 1. The fact that Rarity answered for Fluttershy and 2. The way she said it.

Of course, that entire scene where all hell breaks loose and Twilight comes into stop the chaos was pretty hilarious throughout.

But yeah, this whole episode was just adorable throughout. There were a couple things that I had to question but I loved it overall :)

Edited by ~Sadistic Luna~
  • Brohoof 3

because I feel too lazy at the moment to make a big "spoiler" post...

I'll just give you my opinion spoiler free...

I loved this episode.

I really really did...

why? because I don't know if anypony else felt it, but the writing had a very "lauren faust" feel to it...

I have to admit, while I enjoyed season 3, I couldn't help but feel that the show's mood in the writing

was different...it felt a bit too "try hard" at times, and felt a bit watered down...but this episode!...this one 

feels like the older season 1's did...it had an interesting premise, featured all of the mane 6...and made some really

great jokes, references...but mainly, it had a more "adult" feel to it...and by that, I mean it had a feel 

that was more matured and intelligent...which is what I loved about season 1, 2...this episode was 

a great reminder to me about why I love this show so much. Also big congrats to Josh Haber, the writer for this episode.

I'm pretty sure this is his first story in the series, so I'm very stoked to see more of his work! 

Out of 5? I give this a 4.2...a pretty solid episode...

i completely agree with everything you said. your post sums up my feelings towards the episode perfectly.

Also i didn't mind the themes reminiscent of scooby doo. It was a nice change of pace.

I managed to avoid the leaks and spoilers and I thought this was a great episode. Felt like it could've come out of Season 1. Though for me it did become obvious Pinkie was the organ player, but regardless it's an episode I'll enjoy revisiting again.

I liked the title of the episode: Castle Mane-ia

...CASTLEVANIA

I saw the episode, and I liked it.

It had nothing to do with Castlevania :lol: , but was satisfying.

I was not expecting Rainbow Dash and Applejack to have bee keeper clothes on, I thought they were seriously going all the way on that!

The part with a thought to be Angel Bunny being crushed was kinda dark... I liked it. Luckily it wasn't actually Angel, but just a rock formation.

And Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie as usual. I like it, you like it, we all like it. ^_^

Edited by SUPERFOX5
  • Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie is Nosferatu. That is a fact.

I was d'aaaawwwwwing all throughout, especially at the end <3 <3 The idea of all the Mane Six keeping a journal together is adorableeeeeee~

Imagine Celestia and Luna journalling together OH WOW I CAN'T THAT'S TOO CUTE

Very good episode. Friendship continues to be magic.

I've noticed today that there's a lot d dislike for this episode but I don't get the impression that it was because of the story its self but because of the pre-cognition of what they thought the story was going to be about. People expected Castlevania and got Scooby Doo and while I do agree that it didn't quite go where it needed to with the season as a whole. I found it quite enjoyable enough to where I would watch it over again. 

Celestia did design, build, and select the decor for the castle. The fun-house element was to entertain the much younger Luna...Maybe we'll see a pony version of the statue of David. Yow!

The implication of the younger Luna is that we may her (and a young Celestia) growing up together as young fillies. Are you listening Meghan? :) Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

I'm too lazy to check out the rest of the pages to see if there's the same inquiry as mine but...

SPOILER ALERT!

No, seriously, spoiler alert. Don't cry to me later on.

What the hell was with that portrait with the moving eyes?

post-7589-0-71489800-1385865516_thumb.png

Just like the season premiere. This episode was a solid meh. It was a cliche haunted mansion type story that every cartoon does. Pinkie Pie being the organ player I saw from a mile away. And how are RD and AJ getting so scared if they are the most daring ponies? I mean they get scared of suits of armor, come on now. The best thing this episode had going for it was that the title was a pun on Castlevania.

An improvement on last week's mediocre opening. The story unfolds at a good pace, the characters are all on form again, and there are some good laughs throughout. Rarity's crying always gets me going, for some reason.

It's not great though. I felt the premise was very thin, as the whole thing was based on repeating variations on the same joke, which kinda made the "haunted castle" setting feel like a missed opportunity. But it's not bad, overall.

7/10

(I'm REALLY looking forward to next week!)

I'm too lazy to check out the rest of the pages to see if there's the same inquiry as mine but...

SPOILER ALERT!

No, seriously, spoiler alert. Don't cry to me later on.

What the hell was with that portrait with the moving eyes?

mlp wut.PNG

Oh yeah, that portrait. Seems it was reused from MMMystery on the Friendship Express. As for what the deal with it was, I don't really know, perhaps it was the Pony of Shadows' doing? :wacko:

I'm pretty sure it was

Pinkie

Hm, that could be too. :huh:

I liked it. Any episode with some sort of mystery to it is a good episode to me. I did sort of start thinking that Pinkie Pie would be the one playing the organ when it appeared to me that only the five ponies were hunched up together, which reminded me of Pinkie Pie. Who else can play hundreds of instruments :lol: .

"Did you guys know that I could play the organ?  Because I totally didn't!" is probably my new favorite quote from the show.  This definitely wasn't the greatest episode ever, but it wasn't trying to be.  It was just a really fun episode, and there's nothing wrong with that.  I also like the new premise of the Mane 6 diary; it seems to be a good replacement for the letters to Celestia.

Finally, something small, but I like how they did Fluttershy's character in this.  Rather than being afraid for her own sake as she used to be, she's afraid for her friends and for Angel.  Maybe I just missed it beforehand, but I never noticed that about her until this episode.

They should have revealed the pony of shadows at the end to just be Derpy.

I enjoyed it, but I wish it wasn't such fluff. Overall, six out of ten. If the rest of the season delivers enough substance, I guess I'll be able to look back on this episode more favorably.

Edited by ByTheTides

This episode was simply AMAZING! I gotta say I am more than pleased with the 3 episodes that have been released so far! And once again it seems that MLP is actually getting just a tiny bit darker in nature, which I love by the way!

Cant wait till episode 4... ^_^

I enjoyed it, but I wish it wasn't such fluff. Overall, six out of ten. If the rest of the season delivers on substance, I guess I'll be able to look back on this episode more favorably. 

Fluff? I actually thought that the episode was extremely dark in nature compared to some past season episodes! 

After the home run that was the Season 4 premiere, "Castle Mane-ia" was the perfect episode to get the season proper underway.  After watching it twice I can honestly say that, in my opinion, this is one of the funniest episodes of MLP to date, and a very clever one too, even if it does utilize the "group of friends unknowingly all in the same creepy location" trope (which I actually thought was a sweet homage to shows such as the original "Scooby Doo" that frequently utilized that same trope, definitely was reminded of that while I was watching it).  Seeing as this episode pretty much had four subplots total, I'll deviate a little from my usual review format and split this review up into reviews of each one of the subplots.  Let's get to it everypony!

I figure we'll go in chronological order here, so let's start with Twilight and Spike.  Their's was probably the least entertaining of the four subplots just because nothing much was going on with those two besides Twilight reading some books, but that's not to say that both characters didn't have their bright spots.  I always find it hilarious how Twilight so easily ignores Spike's concerns when she has her mind set on something, in this case, books (of course ;)).  Spike and Angel Bunny had a few funny interactions, and Angel's enjoyment of Spike's freaking out was especially amusing.  Twilight was adorable as usual when she plunged into the cornucopia of books at Celestia and Luna's old castle, particularly at the very beginning, and even if it wasn't very entertaining, it made sense that she kept a level head whilst conducting her research.  Her freeze spell towards the very end of the episode was quite cool, and the lesson she delivered, even if it was a little confusing to me at first, was a good one (that being that you shouldn't allow your imagination to run wild at your own expense, but get the facts straight before you jump to irrational conclusions... ya know, I feel like we've had variations of this lesson before in the show, weird, right?  I guess this lesson was different in that it specifically related to the castle itself, something old, foreboding, and mysterious that isn't so much so once you learn more about it and its history.).  Finally, I liked the new lesson format that Twilight introduced in the journal/diary that they're all going to keep; I know it came a bit suddenly, but given that Twilight, being a princess and all, is no longer technically Celestia's student, it makes sense that they wouldn't be writing letters to the princesses anymore.  RIP letters, we'll miss you! :(  Overall, while Twilight and Spike weren't especially entertaining in this episode, they were still solid and contributed well enough to the plot, even if they didn't discover anything about the mysterious chest.

Twilight_Sparkle_and_Spike_researching_S

I just realized that that book is bigger than Spike: HA!!!

Next, let's cover Applejack and Rainbow Dash.  These two were a whole lot of fun to watch; I never tire of the tomcolt shenanigans they get up to when they're in competing mode with one another, and man oh man we had lot of that in this episode, probably the most we've had since "Fall Weather Friends" back in Season 1. The bee-stare off at the beginning was pretty hilarious, and their increasing paranoia as they continued further and further into the castle was very fun to watch as well.  I guess the only negative thing I'll say about those two is that, aside from their getting more and more freaked out, their scenes just didn't change that much as the episode progressed: they rib each other, something freaky happens that freaks them out, they get outta there, wash, rinse, repeat.  It didn't get old or anything considering their reactions were always priceless to watch, plus they went to some interesting parts of the castle (that Hall of Hooves was seriously freaky, I mean, why the buck would Celestia and Luna even have that?!?!  :ph34r:) so it was notable to an extent.  Aside from their tomfoolery not much else to cover with those two; they were a blast to watch, and I hope we get more good-natured AppleDash competition as the season continues.

800px-Applejack_resused_animation_S04E03

When tomcolts collide.  :comeatus: 

Now we come to my favorite subplot.  Of all the ponies in the episode, I have to say that I honestly thought that Rarity and Fluttershy stole the show!!!  I absolutely love those two together because they have a very fun relationship, and we don't get to see those two exclusively nearly enough in the show; I mean, the last time I can recall those two specifically being paired almost entirely by themselves in an episode was way back in Season 1 in "Green Isn't Your Color", and I loved it then just as much as I do now!  So what made them so great here?  Well, really, I thought that Rarity and Fluttershy were the funniest characters of the episode.  Fluttershy's reluctant assistance to Rarity and increasingly frantic searches for Angel we're both funny and adorable, and only grew in their insanity as the episode continued, with the poor butter pony eventually being mistakenly convinced that her beloved bunny had been crushed by a column of all things!  I probably wouldn't have laughed at that scene if I hadn't known Angel was OK, but since I did, I laughed my plot off.  As for Rarity, oh my gosh, she was quite frankly the funniest character of the episode from start to finish (I really believe that this may have been her funniest role since "A Dog and Pony Show", no joke)!  Her penchant for the melodramatic was very much on display here, her obsession with refurbishing and restoring the castle's tapestries was both unsurprising but also hilarious, and just when I thought she couldn't get any funnier, what does she do?  She starts yelling at the castle itself!!!  I couldn't believe it, but she kept ranting about how ungrateful and unappreciative the castle was, and my gosh did I lose it at that!  Whether by themselves or together, Fluttershy and Rarity brought their A-game to this episode from start to finish (especially Rarity: hats off to Tabitha St. Germain on one of her funnier vocal performances in awhile), and I for one especially got a kick out of them and the trouble they got up to in that old castle.  Way to go you two!  :D

Fluttershy_and_Rarity_Giggling_S1E20.png

Can we seriously please get more of these two paired together in the show?  They are seriously one of the funniest pairs in all of MLP!!!

Finally, Pinkie Pie's hilarious twist subplot/surprise appearance.  Since she wasn't in the episode that much, I can't really say that Pinkie Pie was the funniest character in this episode (that honor still goes to Rarity as far as I'm concerned), but she definitely was one of its highlights.  Her first scene at the start was suitably random (helped by Gummy's accompanying her; I swear, I don't think that gator could possibly give any less of a buck about everything than he does), and that randomness only increased tenfold when she reappeared at the end.  While she wasn't the funniest character in this episode, she definitely had the funniest line with her "Hey you guys!  Did you know that I can totally play the organ???  Because I didn't!!!", and her explanation for what she was doing there made just about as much sense as you would expect it to for Pinkie Pie.  Not much else to say about her since she didn't contribute a whole lot to the plot, but nonetheless, Pinkie was still a very enjoyable element of this episode, and I hope that her other supporting appearances this season are just as whacky and random as she was here.

pinkie_pie_playing_organ_by_mysticalpha-

Pinkie Pie: she can play the organ now.  Because of course she can.

OK, subplots out of the way, let's wrap this review up.  The animation was once again gorgeous, and it was especially a whole lot of fun getting to see Princess Celestia and Luna's old castle in great detail.  I'm gonna go out on a limb right now and say that, given how much attention this location will obviously receive this season (seeing as the mysterious chest is located right beneath its foundations beside the Tree of Harmony), I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it eventually got restored and given to Twilight as her very own castle, seeing as it is pretty close to Ponyville.  Don't know when that might happen (probably not for awhile), or if it even will, but hey, I think it's a plausible theory, and certainly one I wouldn't be opposed to.  Not much to say for the music once again besides the instrumentals; I will say that I really liked the organ music we got here, especially towards the end, just because for me personally the organ is my favorite instrument, so it was a lot of fun getting to hear some of the arrangements they had here.  Finally, I'm very, very, very intrigued by the little set-up we got at the end (and in the middle as well; don't forget that there was an eye in a portrait watching Applejack and Rainbow Dash earlier on) of the episode suggesting that there may indeed be a Pony of the Shadows, or at the very least some mysterious figure lurking in the shadows who may not be that friendly, mostly because it just might be the first glimpse we get of a villain who may very well prove to be the first season-long villain of the show, remaining in the shadows until the time is right to reveal himself or herself.  I'm totally down with a development like that, and it was a delightful bit of foreshadowing that I did not see coming in the slightest given how late it came.  Overall, "Castle Mane-ia", although not doing much to advance the overall plot of this season's main story arc and also having a somewhat confusing lesson, was a blast, and in my opinion one of the silliest and most fun episodes we've had in awhile, and all in all one of the funniest episodes of the entire show in general!  Kudos DHX, kudos, Season 4 is off to a very solid start indeed!!!  :muffins:

• Brohoof 6