Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much of a misfit do you think you are?

Commander Bubbles

Be it anywhere, school, work, society in general, do you just feel out of place and completely incapable of fitting in? For me, for example, I feel myself a complete misfit in the context of school and society in general. I'm a huge fan of NASCAR, which is generally looked down upon by most in general, a Brony (who are also looked down upon), as well as a big plastic modeling fanatic, a hobby that is nearly extinct nowadays. So to a "normal" person, I have very little in common, and therefore, I simply don't fit in.

I dunno, man. I think you're letting your interests overshadow your personality. I look the part of a misfit, but I have no trouble fitting in places.

For example. I'm a vocal brony, so I've got pony merch out the wazoo. I'm a huge metal head, so seeing me in skinny jeans and a visceral, demonic looking band shirt isn't uncommon. I'm about to finish up a full sleeve, so my ink can either make or break me. Being a military vet, I'm very authoritative and borderline OCD in how I do things.

Yet, my personality is consistent. I'm outgoing, kind, and charismatic. Once people really get to know you, what you look like and what you take interest in becomes nothing more than window dressings on who you ACTUALLY are. If they don't accept you, then you're hangin' out with the wrong crowd.

• Brohoof 3

I'm a Rarity fan and a clopper.

I'm a pretty fucked up individual in this fandom, I know.

In all seriousness, I'm a very vocal brony. I've got a ton of merch and I show it off in public.

Of course, it's made me sort of a nerd and a bit of a target in my high school; I wasn't really ever popular, but I certainly wasn't unpopular like I am now. I is dork.

But you know what? I don't give a fuck.

I don't. Sincerely; I've made a shitton of friends on here, and everyday at 6 p.m. I get home from work, sit down at my computer, and see that I've got around 500 unread Skype Messages. (Yeahh. Group Chats can almost be spammy at times, with all of the messages you get  :D )

I've made great friends on here, ones I love talking to and chillin' with, so I really just can't find it in myself to care that I've become a bit of an outcast in school :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

i don't see myself as a misfit at all.

i got tons of friends at school and at work. and i can usually strike up a conversation with anybody.

i have pretty 'normal' hobbies and i guess i live just a pretty normal life :P

I have been the odd man out for most of my life in large because I was singled out as different due to having Autism and the difficulties interpreting social cues, general awkwardness and often unusual interests that tends to come with that. You never really know just how much society pressures everyone into conforming to these pre assigned roles until you are viewed for whatever reason as different. Although there are people that don't understand and some that don't even want to understand I have learned years ago that while there will be some situations where I have to speak the "lingo" and "play ball" if you know what I mean that nobody should run their entire life on the approval of others. I am who I am and I like who I am and whoever and if anyone has a problem with that than I that is their problem, not mine.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not too much of a misfit, I generally get along with most people, if not all.

However, when discussing stuff like celebrities and general mainstream, it's hard to find anything to say. That's pretty much it in my case. 

• Brohoof 1

I could list the ways in which I differ quite a bit from standard society, like my atheism (and general stance on whether or not religion is good for society), my sexual orientation, and even my fascination with woodwind/brass instruments (the family of instruments I have realized seems to be the most unappreciated).

And I'm sure anybody could make a list like you and I have; however, none of those things on the list give me that feeling of never fitting in. It's something that runs much deeper than that. Something that I can not even begin to describe, no matter how many times I try to describe it.

But yes, I do feel 'different' from the rest, but not in a way to be prideful about. At times I feel like I'm different in a bad way, like I'm lesser.

• Brohoof 1

Fitting in has little to with what you're into, and more with how you make other people feel.  If you're happy and somewhat positive, that translates to your body language, which makes you appear more open and welcome, and from this point people will want to be around you.  Like @Seaweed says, once you add charm and congruency to your personality, you will find you have a hard time keeping people away from you. 

I usually get along with someone, though a lot of people find me annoying. x3

My language is pretty bad, people don't understand too much of what I say. (That is probably why people find me annoying.)

I'm pretty much a misfit wherever I go. It's been difficult for me to pinpoint that place where I "belong." I've never actually found it, and probably will have to do more searching until I do.

In real life, my interests are too nerdy to strike a lot of people. And even going past that: I don't have patience for small talk or any sort of talk that isn't interesting to me and tend to brush off such attempts at these types of conversation. Especially if I am in a very untalkative mood, which is much of the time. I can get along all right with people, sure. I'm not malicious towards them, but I can't really fit into their groups or really be a part of them. Something about me makes me feel out of place wherever there is another human being for the most part.

On the internet, it is easier to fit in. But still difficult. My general personality isn't something I see mirrored a lot even in places like these where misfits gather. I find myself too... and I hate to say this, but too thoughtful to really fit in here. People on the internet are mostly concerned with humor, getting quick laughs, not taking anything seriously and making short bursts of (mostly) illiterate posts. I am more serious and often desire something more than that, to go into depth and thought about things rather than brushing them off. And thus, I still feel like a misfit. Here though, at least, I'm much more likely to find that place with other thoughtful people than in real life. People in real life tend to also be very much on the surface of things and not want to think harder. (Which can be a good thing for them, I just can't handle and have no patience such an environment.)

There's that feeling, and then there's other more personal things that also kind of make me a misfit. Just things I can't go into, but such things make me feel like an alien to my own species. I'm constantly just looking from other human beings and thinking: "Such strange creatures. They're so difficult to understand sometimes." 

Part of this is due to lack of interaction with other people and general naivete, I'm sure. But until I find that place where I belong, I'll always feel like a misfit.

• Brohoof 2

I often think of myself as a misfit, but I rarely have problems with other people for it. I'm a social person, and I can talk to everyone.

I guess I just feel alone in my own thoughts, despite everyone probably does the same. So in that regard, i'm not a misfit, at all =)

Maybe I am, but I wouldn't know for sure because I never reach out and ask if other people share my interests.

For example, recently I found out one of my best friends likes My Little Pony. I would never have known if his other friend didn't say it. 

I was always the nerdy type who never had a lot of friends in school so I suppose that makes me a bit of a misfit. I never was into looking or acting like the other girls in school and I simply didn't share any common interests that other girls had. Even now I see myself as marching to the beat of a different drummer in many ways.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I was quite weird (and still am), very different from other people. But in the end, I found awesome friends who love me for who I am.

I have quite a weird interest: rocks. I've been bullied for that, but well. :) It's just a knowledge that the others doesn't have.

If you think you might bother the others, it might be some self-esteem issues. I was actually forced to make friends, I had no choice. o_O

Due to a series of events, and actions on my own behalf, I find myself lacking the proper skills to effectively communicate with people at large. I am sure this was a gradual process, but it has developed none the less. A lack of real, genuine social interactions, outside of school, with others, starting many years back, has led me to develop many interests that seem to conflict with the general consensus of normal deemed by the aggregate of society.  Overtime I seem to have lost the relatability that is necessary to take part in most social settings.

This seemed to start after a traumatizing event in my life, after which, my family moved across the nation and away from those that I had already come to know. After resuming school I found that I had difficulty connecting with other students, which only increased over time. I started to act the part of the "quiet kid" in order to avoid awkward situations that arose from my growing social incapability. This action only served to further remove my ability to relate with others, whose rejection of me provoked me to dismiss them and simply focus on school-work and interests that my brother (just as messed up as I am in this regard) and I shared instead.  This process may have been due to the possibility that I "matured" prematurely in order to better cope with what had happened earlier, I am not fully certain.

It wasn't until high school that I had the desire to fight against being socially removed and I have made an effort for the first two years to change this about myself, however, I believe that I have come to a conclusion during this past year. I just don't care anymore. I really couldn't give a damn anymore is all I can say; I am contented to simply be in isolation now. So yes, I do believe that qualifies me as a "misfit." 

I'm shy, awkward, and incredibly clumsy, and in many areas, have a noticeable lack of self-esteem. I'm awful at starting conversation with others, and I tend to rant and ignore the interests of others. I surround myself in my fandoms and unless I'm talking passionately about the necessity of feminism or am standing up for a group constantly viewed in a poor light that I think isn't all that bad, I tend to remain in my fandoms at all times. Overall, I'm a poor conversationalist. In a sense, yes, I'm a misfit.

Yet, I do have friends. I have people I like to talk to, and people who (somehow) like talking to me. Mainly because I'm a passionate guy. Whenever I'm actually talking, I tend to put a lot of conviction and belief into the things I say, so the few people who are willing to talk to me stick around because I do have a sense of charisma once I'm actually going.

... But I'm still ugly and can be really self-centered at times, so I have no idea why they still hang out with me.

I dont feel like a misfit. I feel accepted by nearly everyone and for the most part, I feel like no body judges me in a bad way. I just feel appreciated. I'm not egoistical though. I'm either A) truly welcomed by others, B) very unconcerned with how i fit in, or C) have my focus on larger things than being a misfit/accepting that title

• Brohoof 1

I dont feel like a misfit. I feel accepted by nearly everyone and for the most part, I feel like no body judges me in a bad way. I just feel appreciated. I'm not egoistical though. I'm either A) truly welcomed by others, B) very unconcerned with how i fit in, or C) have my focus on larger things than being a misfit/accepting that title

I love you.

You say everything perfect :wub:

Seriously, your way with words makes me melt.

I'll make you a misfit, hun, don't worry :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

At school and work, I fit in pretty well. I play my part by knowing my stuff and associating myself with a handful of trustworthy people and let everyone else play their role.

At parties or large - middle sized social gatherings however... yeah, I'm completely out of place. I would much rather be at a small gathering with a collection of my friends and perhaps watch a bad movie together or play some video games. Plus if there's loud music playing, I can't enter the room at all because my ears are too sensitive.

Edited by Celtore