Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Self sacrifice?

Invincible

I would not, because;

α. I am not at all noble or selfless in this matter, and don't intend to be.

b. If I die, everything would cease to exist from my perspective, and if that happens, then ultimately everything would cease to exist.

c. Living in these rundown, desolate, graffiti-ed slums is my utopia. Waking up, skating for a while, getting chased by people, doing whatever I do. The life I live is all I want.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

no, as the promise of a perfect world is empty as the body of a 8 year old dead person.

there is a need of evil in the world to complete the ying/yang.

I would not choose this. Humans do not deserve to live longer than they can. If they destroy themselves, so be it. No saving them. Parasites is what they are, and would you want to help them? The dying thing would be helpful though, lessen the species and all that.

you can start with yourself then.

if you dont then its pretty much the same hypocrisy of fundamentalist christians.

Edited by twistedmetalero

No. Any paradise that requires me to die is not a paradise. It would be a world built on blood (namely mine :P) which makes it, in the end, no different than the world we live in now.

We can make this world better.... it'll just take a unified effort and that is the snag that always trips us. ;P

• Brohoof 1

Well...no.

Don't get me wrong, I am religious and it would be great if people were sinless. But a perfect world, with no slip ups and no tests of endurance and emotions? People live because they live. The world wouldn't be as exciting as it is.

I'm not saying that life can't be miserable sometimes, or that sin is sensational and should be practiced. But...a utopia that is not exactly heaven would be all too placid. 

I already regret starting this topic...

But at least it yielded some interesting opinions.

Interesting insights as well. It seems many people don't even believe in the possibility of a perfect world. Maybe that's part of the problem in the world today. "I can't envision perfection, so why bother?" I stand by my statement, but I will add that I do believe in the possibility of perfection. Love can exist without hate, good can exist without evil. How? I don't know, but we have to believe an answer exists if we are to try to find it.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, that's hard to say.

Assuming this offer is real and not a fake one, then I would say no because of what has already been said a couple times above me. A perfect world with no sicknesses and war would lead to overpopulation... which in turn would just cause more harm.

Interesting insights as well. It seems many people don't even believe in the possibility of a perfect world. Maybe that's part of the problem in the world today. "I can't envision perfection, so why bother?" I stand by my statement, but I will add that I do believe in the possibility of perfection.

Perfection doesn't exist in nature. It exists as thought in peoples heads. For perfection to exist you'd have to cure all disease, famines. remove desire and emotion from peoples heads. A perfect world where none suffer isn't believeable. there's nothing to 'live for' in a perfect world, this is why you see billionaires suicide when to the rest of us they seem to have it all and leave us at a lost why they ended it all.

Even if the human race achieves total harmony with itself and the earth. It will always take great effort to maintain that. 

Perfection doesn't exist in nature. It exists as thought in peoples heads. For perfection to exist you'd have to cure all disease, famines. remove desire and emotion from peoples heads. A perfect world where none suffer isn't believeable. there's nothing to 'live for' in a perfect world, this is why you see billionaires suicide when to the rest of us they seem to have it all and leave us at a lost why they ended it all.

Even if the human race achieves total harmony with itself and the earth. It will always take great effort to maintain that. 

... It's like hitting my head against a wall :lol:

You're citing "imperfect-perfection" as a reason. You say perfection doesn't exist in nature, perfection requires the removal of desire and emotion, there is nothing to live for in a perfect world (really? did you not see the quote >_>). What if, just if, your concept of "perfect" is imperfect? If that that is the case, then might there be another version, another definition of perfection? "There are more things in heaven and earth, [shire Pony Malinter](and others), then are dreamt of in your philosophy" -Shakespeare

What if "perfection" included: freewill, desire, emotion, no overpopulation, plenty of reason to live, and easy maintenance? I have to say that a world without those things doesn't seem like it would qualify as perfect.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm. No. I would NEVER do that. Why?

1) A lot of the human race are shitbags. They don't care for life, so why save theirs?

2) Utopia would crumble apart in seconds. Power-hungry fools would destroy everything just for..well...power

3) I'm still in school. I don't want to die just yet!

4) okay, who in the bloody fuck has the power to transform the world at the cost of my death?

So, in short, no. I would never take it

I'd do it, simply because it would be cool to witness the effects. A lot of people have pointed out that utopia wouldn't be welcomed, wouldn't be possible, whatever. Well at this point it just becomes a thought experiment made real, doesn't it? Wouldn't it be great to at least see what would happen? Either I'd be dead or the afterlife actually exists, so either way no skin off my bones. I never really cared about my own life.

(edited)

What if "perfection" included: freewill, desire, emotion, no overpopulation, plenty of reason to live, and easy maintenance? I have to say that a world without those things doesn't seem like it would qualify as perfect.

thats why I added "if humanity achieves harmony with itself and the earth". a fancy way of saying "we get out shit together". That said, it still requires all of humanity reading from the same page. no religious divides, racial divides, no national idenity and the complete disregard for the "them vs us" mentality. 

Now THAT is quite a wall to hit. One day we'll get though it. We can only hope. :P

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter

... It's like hitting my head against a wall :lol:

You're citing "imperfect-perfection" as a reason. You say perfection doesn't exist in nature, perfection requires the removal of desire and emotion, there is nothing to live for in a perfect world (really? did you not see the quote >_>). What if, just if, your concept of "perfect" is imperfect? If that that is the case, then might there be another version, another definition of perfection? "There are more things in heaven and earth, [shire Pony Malinter](and others), then are dreamt of in your philosophy" -Shakespeare

Hey, here's something for you - how can it be perfection if everyone (literally everyone) does not agree on what it means?  

Everyone sees things differently.  you say "what if [it] included freewill" - That's non-sequitur.  Free will means that people can think for themselves.  Since people DO think for themselves, and since people DO have different opinions about a "perfect world," it is absolutely impossible for a perfect world to exist, because people cannot agree on a perfect world.  

Perfect World opinions are nothing but each own individual's fantasy.  

Now, I promise you, I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, and I'm not at all pessimistic (actually I'm an Idealist), but...  I think we should just start out with something a little bit simpler than a 'perfect world' - you know, like... a better world.

I say, let's chill with the perfect world arguments.  It's useless.  I think this thread should, from here on out, start focusing on ways we could change the world to make it better for everyone... Things that aren't... you know... impossible!

Who's with me?

You know what after a deep and long think i came to this conclusion: if it ends the wars and the religious conflicts and for a world that live peacefully under one banner where religious people and non religious people live peacefully and it stay for like 10000 years yeah i'll do it for world peace! if not a simple answer is for this: no

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure, maybe. I mean sure it'd be great to have such a wonderful world but as another user said, how do we know it wouldn't end by some kind of punishment? And then the world end up corrupted again?

I think of this world as a school. To make this planet a utopia and solve all of its problems would be like getting an automatic A+ in all classes and never having to go to classes again.

But yes, I would definitely sacrifice myself for something. I have absolutely no fear of death. Dying, on the otherhand, is rarely not intimidating.

• Brohoof 1

never, as a perfect world can never be perfect. if the world was to be perfect humanity would completely stop progressing. the problems in the world drive people to improve. without this drive the world world stop and as bad as it sounds, the earth would be over run with humans in a few decades. we need the plagues ect to slow the population growth. i do apologize if that offends anyone it is just the grim truth. a perfect world would be hell.

I would not as i believe that nothing lasts forever and there for my sacrifice may bring a century or even a millennia of this it will end and my sacrifce would inevitbly cease to matter.

but if you had a perfect world for even that long, would it not be worth it?

but if you had a perfect world for even that long, would it not be worth it?

Nope, because my sacrifice would have been useless in the end givibg up my life for nothing.

• Brohoof 1

Of course! The truth is that my life is just taking up space at this point... This would be a simple answer to a way to simply pass away and best shield my family and friends from the otherwise inevitable sadness of losing me.

That's not to say that it would be so simple for me to decide, as I'd be scared, but I know that it's the best option for me and everyone else.

• 1 month later...