Can Alicorns be Killed?

Dsanders

I got the impression Queen Chrsalis wanted to kill Celestia in a more public setting in front of any surviving ponies(and possibly the Mane 6) in Canterlot.

I think she just was saving her to feed off of.

• Brohoof 1

Chrysalis dealt a crippling blow on Celestia. Now if they can be wounded, I don't think it's too far of a stretch that they can be killed. I consider Alicorns more Angels than Goddesses. With Celestia and Luna being archangels. Or maybe a better metaphor is that they are ascended super beings. Mortal bodies but a power beyond common mortals.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 1

I believe Faust has stated that Twilight's role is to be Celestia's successor, which would imply that Celestia will be dead, some day.

Alicorns can become injured, and especially weakend. Other than the Royal Guard, I would say an alicorn's primary means of defense could be to fight with their magic, and alicorns have extremely powerful magic. As we've seen, once that magic is gone, they're pretty much helpless. Tirek could have easily killed Tia, Luna, and Cadance if he wanted to. The only reason he didn't was because MLP is a children's show.

I believe people kinda get immortality and invincibility mixed up when it comes to the subject of the princesses. You see, you can say your shoe is water proof, but it doesn't mean it won't shred if you throw it in a wood chipper. In this case, just because the princesses are immortal, as in able to live for Celestia knows how long, doesn't mean their ever lasting lives can't be cut short in a blink of an eye. Haha

So yes, I do think in theory that an alicorn is capable of meeting an untimely end...if not, then you'd be seeing a butt-load of princesses/queens/kings/princes/what had you around Equestria, wouldn't you say?  ^_^

The princesses are more-or-less "biologically immortal" meaning while old-age might not kill them, sustaining a mortal injury grave enough possibly might. Their certainly were a few more alicorns about when Tia & Luna were fillies if what i've heard is written in some of hasbro's other books is correct.

My headcanon about alicorn lifespans is like this:  they don't naturally live longer than any other type of pony.

...BUT...!

There was a line from the Magic Duel episode about how age-controlling spells are beyond the unicorn level.  And what's beyond the unicorn level?  Alicorns, of course!

Given that, I figure Celestia has been keeping herself from aging too far for the last 1000 years with magic, and she did so because there was a chance that she'd get to see her sister again if she did.

Twilight, by contrast, will probably opt for a more natural life cycle, so that she doesn't need to outlive her friends and family.

My headcanon about alicorn lifespans is like this:  they don't naturally live longer than any other type of pony.

...BUT...!

There was a line from the Magic Duel episode about how age-controlling spells are beyond the unicorn level.  And what's beyond the unicorn level?  Alicorns, of course!

Given that, I figure Celestia has been keeping herself from aging too far for the last 1000 years with magic, and she did so because there was a chance that she'd get to see her sister again if she did.

Twilight, by contrast, will probably opt for a more natural life cycle, so that she doesn't need to outlive her friends and family.

Wouldn't a spell like that drain their magical energy far more quickly than say a shield bubble around an entire empire(City-State Empire?)?

We already know that an Alicorns magical abilities are not limitless and constantly maintaining such an advanced spell would be very taxing on the pony.

Another scene from the a cool movie. I highly doubt equestrian has seen this kind of firepower. A direct hit by all these weapons could kill the alicorns for sure. Although on a positive note I have sometimes imagined a battleship or any other type of human firepower coming into play during the Twilight Tirek battle scene and taking out Tirek once and for all instead of just imprisoning him so he can escape again. Sure the ponies might be shocked by death that brutal as I am sure weapons and guns that big from a battleship or destroyer might cause Tireks guts to spew all over the place, but at least the ponies would never have to deal with him again lol.

Edited by GXPBlast

As the fairly known fact of natural alicorns NOT being immortal though having a very long lifespan whilst it is possible Twilight/Cadence have one of a normal pony I would assume it is quite possible to kill a alicorn...

though alicorns are powerful it would still be possible for them with the right plan to take down a alicorn though it is very unlikely... it is more likely for a alicorn to be killed by another alicorn or a powerful being considering alicorns are too living beings!

so though difficult I see it quite possible...

They may be seen as gods, but in my opinion, they just don't age at normal speed, and can be killed, but not by age.

Like the Asgardians in Thor, they can be killed, but they are able to live for thousands of years

Wouldn't a spell like that drain their magical energy far more quickly than say a shield bubble around an entire empire(City-State Empire?)? We already know that an Alicorns magical abilities are not limitless and constantly maintaining such an advanced spell would be very taxing on the pony.

I figure age-controlling spells aren't the kind of thing you need to actively maintain; it's more like:  cast the spell once, it takes 20 years off your face (and the rest of you, too).  20 years later, you cast it again, and it takes another 20 years off, rinse and repeat.  It didn't look like Trixie was actively maintaining the age-control magic in Magic Duel; she just reversed it at the end for some reason.

I honestly believe that alicorns can die because in the episode when Shining Armor marries Princess Cadence, Queen Crysalis almost killed Celstia from the love that shinning armor gives to Cadence. Here is an another example, Discord is an alicorn and the elements killed him by tuning his flesh to stone.

Edited by Jeric
removed repeating lines

TL;DR - Of course they can be killed. 

Well, I'm not really gonna go into too much in-depth theory crafting for My Little Pony because, let's face it, it IS a show designed for younger audiences. There isn't going to be much interpretation needed to understand the plot. So I'm just gonna briefly give my thought on the subject.

They can be killed. Anything can. If they couldn't be killed then they wouldn't have any problems taking down evil, or at least wouldn't be afraid of anything for they could eventually succeed. 

What I do think is possible, however, is that the souls of Alicorns never truly vanish. They simply linger around in search of a pony worthy of being a princess. 

So all in all, yes, they can die, and no, they can't die. But that's just a theory.