Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you scared of tornadoes?

Sugar Pea

55 users have voted

1. 1. Are you afraid of them?

• Yes!
    • Heck no!

Back when I lived in Ontario, I saw a full-on tornado. I must have been six or seven at the time, so about forty years ago. It was terrifying before I even realized what it was. I was looking out of my grandparent's patio door, and saw this black... thing writhing across the horizon. It was so completely alien to anything I had seen before. It was very far away, but that didn't matter. It was *wrong*, and didn't belong there.

• Brohoof 1

You're just crazy.   I live in the same state. Tornadoes are nothing to be taken lightly. We've always been 'lucky' where I live, where tornado warnings have always been insubstantial, but all it takes is one becoming something to destroy your life, belongings, shelter, family, etc., etc.   I'll never understand the logic of a state that freaks out like the whole world is ending when it starts flurrying, but isn't scared of a tornado.That's just...stupid. No other word for it. lol   I'm telling you, beware... The weather patterns, they are changing. I've already witnessed it in the winter. Whereas where I live used to be the target of the 'worst' of most of the winter storms (note, not too bad, but still...) now we're on the fringe of it. And we've hardly been getting anything in the last few years.   Don't trust that just because it's never been substantial it won't be now.

So I'm crazy for having a different opinion, and sharing the opinion of the majority in my area? I'm not afraid, and I fully understand how devastating they can be. I actually did a lot of mission trips to Joplin shortly after the storm that happened a few years ago. I just don't really worry about it.

I can't say I am since I've never seen one in real life, which is weird since I live in Illinois. They just never hit my area I guess.

I have however seen YouTube videos of tornadoes destroying schools and stuff, which is interesting to watch.

• Brohoof 1

I used to live in a place with lots of tornadoes. My first experience with one was the town just north of us getting almost wiped off the map about a year after I moved there, but somehow very few people were hurt and the entire area came together to help rebuild. It made them into very real and dangerous things for me, but things that we can handle if we don't lose our heads.

Yes.

Tornadoes frighten me very very much.

And it doesn't help that I live in tornado alley.

Well they are pretty scary but I haven't really seen one. I live in California but a few years ago there was a tornado in Sacramento county. They look like death clouds or evil shadow clouds.

Fortunately I've never encountered one in person. If I did though, I'd be scared out of my wits. They are fascinating to watch for their sheer power and scale, but only from the safety of youtube.

Honestly, the only people who aren't scared of tornadoes are people who haven't actually experienced them themselves in real life.

I have, multiple times. It's fucking terrifying, but I still think tornadoes are fascinating.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not particularly fond of the things, but I do have a certain respect for them.  In much the same way I might respect a wild, dangerous animal.  A tornado flipped over the place we lived in (briefly) when I was too young to remember.  Had I been in the building at the time, I'd not be here to post about it.

• Brohoof 1

So I'm crazy for having a different opinion, and sharing the opinion of the majority in my area? I'm not afraid, and I fully understand how devastating they can be. I actually did a lot of mission trips to Joplin shortly after the storm that happened a few years ago. I just don't really worry about it.

Well, I'm not too shy to say that the majority of people around here (Oklahoma) are crazy. =P

Tornadoes are very much something to be afraid of. They're not the only natural disaster to be afraid of, but they sure as heck are one of them. It *is* flat out crazy to think any other way. It's one thing to have some level of fascination by them... As someone who likes a lot of weather phenomena (just not warm weather ones xD) and nature's beauty, I understand fascination, but the way general people around here joke around about them is ridiculous (if you can see a tornado, you are not safe). Thankfully our weather forecasters take them entirely seriously.

But once again, I don't really even think they're pretty... They're ugly, actually, and then you think about the lives they ruin. They're absolutely terrifying... A little bit of fascination can not stack up to that, ever.

Honestly, I've always wanted to try riding one.

If it kills me, then I least I died doing something awesome.

But if I survive, then I'd forever be known as THE GUY WHO RODE A GODDAMN TORNADO.

I don't know if i would be scared by them or not. Living in New England i've personally never experienced them. I do like seeing pictures of them but I don't think i'd ever wanna be caught out in one. I think it's kinda like how I love watching other people do playthroughs on horror games, but i'm too afraid to actually pick them up to play them myself.

I've never seen any tornadoes in my life, as from where I live we don't get any. So because of that I am not afraid of them, but I do feel bad for anybody that has had to experience something as destructive as tornadoes.

We dont get many tornadoes around where i live, If we do they are great to look at from a distance. I would love to see a really big one in America for real one day

I'll admit having a slight fear of them but I don't have a phobia of them however. I in fact have been getting over my fear in the past year. I've found it interesting seeing Supercells hanging over my city. It's really cool watching them form and grow in power. Mother Nature's power is both beautiful as it scary.

• Brohoof 1