Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cursive will no longer be a part of the US school curriculum.

SolyWack

Mabye this is old news, but I just found out common core will no longer include cursive as part of school curriculum.

To me, this is absoultely stupid. Children go to school to learn new things, why take out an entire way of writing?

Cursive has helped me a sh*t load. Its so much faster than print. Ya ya, computers are becoming more of a thing, but until writing is never being used, cursive is important.

Not even mentioning (well i guess i am now) that the American educational budget is crap. Most rural schools dont have enough money to switch from paper and pen to laptops.

So what do you guys think about this?

• Brohoof 9

Good riddens. It's about time we got rid of that archaic form of writing. Now that everybody just writes in print, I don't see any reason to keep it around in our schools. Sure we're there to learn, but we need to learn important stuff too. God knows how much of my time was spent trying to do the R in cursive.......

Besides maybe to you it's faster to write, but to the majority of people who mostly use print, Just writing in print is faster.

• Brohoof 10

Gotta have room for more MATH boys.

I mean... I've never used my cursive training, my cursive is complete shit (doctor's signature level is putting it generously). I feel it's a marginally useful skill and not especially high impact? But I don't think we lose too much by phasing it out, except for making signatures more awkward.

• Brohoof 3

Teaching typing > teaching cursive in my opinion. Perhaps understanding how to read it should be taught as is still used but I would prefer to have cursive teaching phased out in favour of typing if I were to choose one of two.

• Brohoof 3

On the one hand, I'm going to enjoy writing things nobody except my peers can understand.  On the other hand, I find this to be very disappointing.  Here's a pertinent question: what are people going to do for signatures, now?  Are people just using print for their signatures, or will they just learn how to write only their name in cursive?

I find this a bad thing. Certain government/federal documents require a signature (I know here in the US that's true.) I hope there is another way of it being taught either by parents or the kids taking initiative on learning it themselves.

• Brohoof 1

I have never enjoyed learning cursive. I have always had poor penmanship, and learning cursive lowered my grades far too much. Besides, I literally never used cursive outside of class. Nobody cared if my signature was a barely readable scribble (I think cursive is just fancy scribbling anyway).

I was always faster at typing (even though I "peck"). And yes, even here at a rural high school (in North Dakota) with a grand total of 300 students, we have two separate computer labs, and underclassmen are required to take computer lessons. Grade schoolers are also required to take typing lessons here.

Am I too upset about this decision? Nope.

• Brohoof 5

Cursive is pretty useless.  Take more time to learn more relavent things like math and science which the united states sucks at compared to other countries and is integral to technological societies.

It's a shame because I really like cursive. I write all my notes in my personal logbooks in cursive; it looks so much nicer than my print and much more professional too.

I think it's a dumb move myself taking cursive out of the school cirriculum. it's not like students are being taught cursive in high school or even the upper levels of middle-school. If I remember correctly, it was introduced and taught to me in kindergarten, where we also went on a nature walk to find rocks to paint and put googly eyes onto. It's not like we were learning stoichiometry at that point.

That's a shame... they ought to keep practice in cursive & typing classes for sure. Why take it out? 

Screw cursive. Mine was so bad, my teachers in elementary school told me to simply stop and write free hand. And it's faster too. I can barely read cursive today. That's how useless the medium is. Taking legibility and downgrading it. 

Next step on things to remove from curriculums that we'll never use in real life: the pythagorean theorem. Let's' scrap that and replace it with something more practical... like learning how to fill out a tax form!

• Brohoof 3

Mabye this is old news, but I just found out common core will no longer include cursive as part of school curriculum.

To me, this is absoultely stupid. Children go to school to learn new things, why take out an entire way of writing?

Cursive has helped me a sh*t load. Its so much faster than print. Ya ya, computers are becoming more of a thing, but until writing is never being used, cursive is important.

Not even mentioning (well i guess i am now) that the American educational budget is crap. Most rural schools dont have enough money to switch from paper and pen to laptops.

So what do you guys think about this?

True story. At rthe school I went to for kindergarten and first grade, they taught loopy-letter (cur-sed writing) in second grade. When my family moved, I was in a different school district, that taught cursed writing in first grade. So I never learned it. I can sometimes pick up what somebody is writing if I decipher hard. And that's if they are good at drawing the letters that way.

As an artistic person, I have been facanated by drawing fonts. When I draw loopy letters it takes awhile to think about the shape and how they should be drawn.

Basically, it is kind of more of an artistic drawing skill than a standardized written communication skill.

I admire the artist in someone with well honed penmanship skills. It can be pleasing to look at visually. But, the BIG but, is that people that don't possess the skills make horrible, indecipherable, hieroglyphics that nobody can read. This is the opposite of communication, which is the whole point of writing shit in the first place! Infact, I think that teaching primitive fire-making would be a much more practical skill to teach.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm homeschooled, so I don't do it anyway, but thank jesus christ that students don't have to do that bullshizzle xD

Then again, I usually don't write at all. I'm way faster when I type instead of writing (and I don't do that "asdf" and "jkl;" strategy, that's confusing), I just memorize where the keys are and I type.

Edited by Alpha Hedge

Screw cursive. Mine was so bad, my teachers in elementary school told me to simply stop and write free hand. And it's faster too. I can barely read cursive today. That's how useless the medium is. Taking legibility and downgrading it. 

Next step on things to remove from curriculums that we'll never use in real life: the pythagorean theorem. Let's' scrap that and replace it with something more practical... like learning how to fill out a tax form!

Unfortunately, I had points deduced for not drawing loopy letters. A lot of my "A" grade papers got a "B" for not being cursive enough. Kinda the same shit as when you single space, instead of double spacing.

Yep, I fail the April fifteenth, government math test every year! That shit is hard. At least its not written in cursive.

It's a shame because I really like cursive. I write all my notes in my personal logbooks in cursive; it looks so much nicer than my print and much more professional too.

I think it's a dumb move myself taking cursive out of the school cirriculum. it's not like students are being taught cursive in high school or even the upper levels of middle-school. If I remember correctly, it was introduced and taught to me in kindergarten, where we also went on a nature walk to find rocks to paint and put googly eyes onto. It's not like we were learning stoichiometry at that point.

Goose quill calligraphy is beautiful too. It is awesome to develop your art skills at drawing letters and fonts! It is a noble pursuit, if you do it on your own time. But face it, it's is not a critical life skill that should proceed a more valuable lesson.

(edited)

I find this a bad thing. Certain government/federal documents require a signature (I know here in the US that's true.)

Signatures do not have to be cursive. Signatures can be print.

Anyway, this isn't a big deal. Cursive isn't necessary anymore, everyone just writes in print and typing is more popular than ever.

Edited by Ika Musume
  • Brohoof 3

Just because it won't be taught in schools doesn't mean people can't still learn it.  I don't think cursive had ought to be a required part of the curriculum, anyhow.  A quick typist is more practical than a quick writer.  And even a quick writer's cursive might be illegible to some; no such issue with on-screen text.  I suppose you might still need to sign your name, but even my own signature (and I was taught cursive in school) has degraded to something barely resembling my name. xD

• Brohoof 3

a5db6029a6.JPG

Seriously, have you ever tried reading a note written by an elderly person?  It's ridiculous.  

Don't get me wrong, I love cursive, but the issue stems from everyone having their own "style" of penmanship.  

At least with print manuscript you can read it easier.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 4

a5db6029a6.JPG

Seriously, have you ever tried reading a note written by an elderly person? It's ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I love cursive, but the issue stems from everyone having their own "style" of penmanship.

At least with print manuscript you can read it easier.

~ Miles

I dont know if you were trying to prove a point here, but i read that A Ok first try.

------

Anyway, Cursive is also a way to weed out the more... Well... Uhh... Dont get offended people, this isnt in the debate pit, but the more unintelligent people. Whenever someone writes in cursive, and another person reading it says "I cant read this, i dont know cursive", i instantly know they took the lower level classes in grade school.

Because, at least in all the schools around the one i went to, the lower level kids were learning the math and science still, and not the cursive, because they had to comphrehend the math/science/english first. And they just end up not learning cursive, because its not taught beyond grade school.

That said though, I dont disrespect anyone if they dont want cursive at all, but I think its a mistake, because really, what else are you teaching 1st/2nd/3rd graders? Taxes? Calculus? Chemistry? No, they would just learn about multiplication and mitosis for the 4000th time.

I don't think it should be a requirement, but I think it should be an option. There were plenty of kids in my class who desired to learn how to write the pretty loopy letters. I wasn't one of them. I still can't write in legible cursive; I probably would if I wasn't forced to waste two years in physical therapy because I couldn't hold a pencil the "correct" way. But I can read it just fine. I think it's more important for kids to learn how to read cursive than to write it. Now if only we can put this dynamic to use with the higher math classes; make them an option instead of a requirement. Let's be honest, unless you go into a specialized area like a science, you're not gonna use anything more than basic arithmetic in the real world.