Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tomboy Ponies or Girly Ponies

cybershocker455

Tomboy Ponies or Girly Ponies?  

20 users have voted

1. 1. Tomboy Ponies or Girly Ponies?

• Tomboy
    • Girly

I can't soundly vote for either :o . Both seem extreme and would make for a boring show. I like the current balance they have in MLP, having the girly ponies interact the tomboy ponies and the smart ponies (don't forget them :dash: ) just brings variety to the storytelling

• Brohoof 5

My favorite character is Rarity, but I wouldn't define her as 'girly'. I honestly don't have a preference, and I think the show goes out of its way in neutralizing traditional mascaline vs feminine gender roles.

So ... I suppose my answer is 'none of the above'. Just give me a fully developed character with decent acting, writing, and a genuine purpose and I'll gravitate to that character based on how well I connect to the full picture.

• Brohoof 3

No one is "tomboy" or "girly". Realistic characters fall somewhere in the middle.

This. I like it when ponies have characteristics of both "categories" because, as you stated, girls can easily exhibit both. I have a friend who loves to climb trees and hunt, yet she also loves wearing makeup, jewelry and dresses. I'm not afraid of spiders and snakes, and I love to go horseback riding/spend time out in the dusty stables. Yet I also wear makeup and love pink. Ponies who exhibit both sides work to break down the "either/or" assumption and I can relate with them more.

Edited by Quartz Aegis
  • Brohoof 5

I like the mix of personality types that are portrayed in the show.  They appeal to a broader demographic rather than cater to a single interest group.  Otherwise I doubt there'd be as many bronies out there as there are now.

• Brohoof 3

Do we need labels like tomish and girly when it comes to the ponies?   The show does a good mix to a point in maybe we don't those labels/

• Brohoof 3

This. I like it when ponies have characteristics of both "categories" because, as you stated, girls can easily exhibit both. I have a friend who loves to climb trees and hunt, yet she also loves wearing makeup, jewelry and dresses. I'm not afraid of spiders and snakes, and I love to go horseback riding/spend time out in the dusty stables. Yet I also wear makeup and love pink. Ponies who exhibit both sides work to break down the "either/or" assumption and I can relate with them more.

You are describing Applejack

She's the perfect example of having both tomboyish and feminine traits.

• Brohoof 1

I have to go with girly ponies. They are feminine, but they aren't weak. I love that. Femininity is often associated with weak, and ponies prove that it's not. In fact, that's the lesson in "A Dog and Pony Show." 

I typically prefer femininity anyways. I find feminine people to be more attractive, I prefer feminine ponies, feminine colors, feminine interests, etc. I personally think masculine stuff are boring. 

• Brohoof 1

I can't soundly vote for either :o . Both seem extreme and would make for a boring show. I like the current balance they have in MLP, having the girly ponies interact the tomboy ponies and the smart ponies (don't forget them :dash: ) just brings variety to the storytelling

Meh, they just have splendid personalities.

My favorite character is Rarity, but I wouldn't define her as 'girly'. I honestly don't have a preference, and I think the show goes out of its way in neutralizing traditional mascaline vs feminine gender roles.

So ... I suppose my answer is 'none of the above'. Just give me a fully developed character with decent acting, writing, and a genuine purpose and I'll gravitate to that character based on how well I connect to the full picture.

I like the mix of personality types that are portrayed in the show.  They appeal to a broader demographic rather than cater to a single interest group.  Otherwise I doubt there'd be as many bronies out there as there are now.

Do we need labels like tomish and girly when it comes to the ponies?   The show does a good mix to a point in maybe we don't those labels/

I must agree with all of the above. One of the show's biggest strengths is how dynamic the entire cast is. Characters you can describe as girly or tomboyish exist in the show, but the most realistic of them blend into the opposite label or refuse to adopt it altogether. Rainbow Dash is a tomboy, but she's so dynamic in personality, strengths, quirks, flaws, and sensitivity. A stereotypical tomboy would be rather not expose their feelings at all or feel cold, but Dash subverts it by not minding dresses, accepting her status as Scootaloo's mentor, enjoying company, and expressing anger and especially despair (i.e., weeping when Tank has to brumate or sulking when napping on a cloud in both Testing Testing and Mare Do well).

Part of the appeal comes from not adopting strict archetypes of masculinity and femininity. Each time they appear, do something, or say something, they make the audience think and question the gender roles that plague our society. They force us to redefine the two concepts, drop the instant associations of the two terms, and consider what truly makes something feminine and masculine in the first place. If the characters were too samey, then you have flat characters and no booming fanbase.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 5

It doesn't matter if any of the mane 6 are tomboys or girly girls.  I like them for who they are and their personalities are diverse enough that I can't really say that any one of them is 100% one way or the other.

We have characters like Applejack and Rainbow Dash who enjoy sports and hard labor which are considered masculine traits but at the same time can enjoy wearing dresses to the gala and the fashion show from Suited For Success.  Or Rarity who is interested in fashion and aesthetics but at the same time isn't afraid to fight such as how she fought against the manticore in the pilot or how she was willing to protect Spike in dragon quest.  Or heck when she was discorded in the Return of Harmony it was like she knew some sort of martial arts of some kind.

So at the end of the day these characters have a lot of different interests and ones that may be a bit more into masculine or feminine activities than others aren't just 100% one or the other.

• Brohoof 4

Tomboys. They play sports and are bad***, which I play softball (And am a male, don't hate) and I love bad***ery. Something about that blue hedgehog girly ponies rub me the wrong way. ''But Snake Gamecubeguy, everyone loves Sonic girly ponies! He's They're big stars!'' I don't really like ponies that are overly girly because they represent the more girly side of the show, which I don't really like. Now I like the girly ponies, but when they do all this girly stuff, it's just.. ew.

It goes without saying that all of the characters have multiple layers to their personalities.

However, each of the mane 6 clearly fall on one side or the other of the girlishness / tom boyishness scale.  

You've got RD, AJ and Twilight on one side and Pinkie, Rarity and Fluttershy on the other. RD and Fluttershy being opposite extremes.

I am more partial to tomboys myself. 

• Brohoof 1

I must agree with all of the above. One of the show's biggest strengths is how dynamic the entire cast is. Characters you can describe as girly or tomboyish exist in the show, but the most realistic of them blend into the opposite label or refuse to adopt it altogether. Rainbow Dash is a tomboy, but she's so dynamic in personality, strengths, quirks, flaws, and sensitivity. A stereotypical tomboy would be rather not expose their feelings at all or feel cold, but Dash subverts it by not minding dresses, accepting her status as Scootaloo's mentor, enjoying company, and expressing anger and especially despair (i.e., weeping when Tank has to brumate or sulking when napping on a cloud in both Testing Testing and Mare Do well).

Part of the appeal comes from not adopting strict archetypes of masculinity and femininity. Each time they appear, do something, or say something, they make the audience think and question the gender roles that plague our society. They force us to redefine the two concepts, drop the instant associations of the two terms, and consider what truly makes something feminine and masculine in the first place. If the characters were too samey, then you have flat characters and no booming fanbase.

What I like is that the show also shows that people with very different personalities can be friends as well. Look Before You Sleep is an amazing episode that is sadly underrated because it features a more "girly" theme.