movies/tv What was your favorite/least favorite movie-going experience?

TheAnimationFanatic

My best was the showing of The Force Awakens. Even though our local theater is shanty little hut, it was the first Star Wars movie I saw in theaters, and I was grinning like a doof throughout the whole thing.

• Brohoof 1

Any Star Wars movie I've gotten to see in theaters is always packed and lively

Crowds for most Marvel films as well as Creed had a lot of life to them as well, I still remember hearing the audience cheering during the boxing matches in Creed

Worst is any movie with absolutely no/dead crowd or with people who don't do jack to control their kids. Case in point, my experience with Pokemon The First Movie and Yu Gi Oh the Movie were pretty awful

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

I don't often go to the movie theater, but I'd have to say my favorite one was seeing Inside Out. My dad took me there, and the crowd wasn't too big so it was nice and quiet, plus we also saw the movie in 3D, which made it look really nice.

My least favorite would probably be Chicken Little, because that movie sucks :P

Edited by SuperALPHYSBrony

My favorite was when I went to see Friday the 13th remake on Friday the 13th.  I don't remember much about the movie but I remember it was so fun because there were plenty of people reacting to all the kills. Their horror made it very satisfying. 

My least favorite was when I was a teen and went to see Finding Neverland with a group of friends. It was so boring and I didn't care about it at all. Then after the movie a lady came and really lectured a boy in our group who had been talking a lot.

• Brohoof 1

Best: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Sellout crowd in the theater, and it was a much younger crowd. Several rows in front of me were full of teenagers. Their giggling fits — especially in response to Ron Weasley being under Vane's spell — were infectious to the crowd, and it made the atmosphere very light.

Worst: 102 Dalmatians. I was the only one there, and it bored me to the point where I decided to improvise my own ideas during the film. :lol:

The first movies I vividly remember seeing were Spider-Man (2002) (With My Dad), X2: X-Men United (Mom and Dad), and Finding Nemo (With my Mom and cousins).

However, my worst moviegoing experience was Norm Of The North. You know your movie is bad when even the little kids (your target audience) starts to get bored. I think two little boys behind me were talking about Star Wars throughout most of the movie.

• Brohoof 3

Worst movie I've seen would be WWE films The Marine, starring 

The movie was so small budget, our major theaters weren't even showing it. We had to go to a small town one screen theater to watch. I think my family and I were the only ones there. Like much of WWE's wrestling was back then (and kind of still is), the movie was bland, cliche, at times nonsensical, and focused on the wrong people. A fast paced action packed opener, followed by a dull midcard and rushed main event. 

Now I've seen goo and at times great movies, but as far as the overall experience with those in attendance, my best would have to be when my bro and I went and saw Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor in theaters. Well a bit of backstory first. We were going to see an earlier showing, but the place was packed. There were more tickets sold than seats available. We had people sitting on the stairs.  People sitting in front of the screen. There was nowhere left. So we exchanged our tickets for a later show and went on a shopping spree though the area, hitting up Toys R Us for pony merch. 

We made it back for the second showing and there were still a whole bunch of people there. People w/ Dr.Who merch. People dressed as the doctor. There were guys dressed as The Silence. Another full house. To this day I still have never seen a theater that packed or with that much buzz. We ended up talking to some guys about the Gundam franchise until the show started. And we had custom intros for everything, and the audience cheered for anything. 

And it was a good show. I was entertained. Still remains my favorite episode. The whole place was enraptured and we all left happy. 

• Brohoof 2

I saw one hispanic (dunno which country actually) one in Bolivia where I was invited by an aunt and some cousins, man, that movie sucked, everyone was laughing while I was "eeeeehhhhhh". I dunno, maybe I'm not much into hispanic humor, despite that my parents are Bolivian

The best one..... I dunno, I think the Karate Kid remake. We all cheered during the tournament and that was awesome

Teletubbies. Absolute best.

I lied.

Inside Out. Amazing movie, also spent the whole time with a group of amazing new friends at the time. We wouldn't shut up about the lava song for the rest of the summer. It was the best of times~

• Brohoof 1

The best I can think of is my second viewing of Inside Out, which I saw with a friend (who really dug the relationship-based humor, while I just took in all the visuals and tried to catch whatever I didn't get the first time). I knew the movie was so special that I didn't want to go back to the theaters for a few months to keep the memories fresh. I don't go to the theaters that often anyway, because of money and time constraints. The movie was so great, it gave me the sort of Anton Ego-style moment of reminding me of the first time I saw movies like Monsters, Inc. and Finding Nemo in the theaters.

The worst that I can remember is R.I.P.D., which was probably the biggest bomb Universal had ever released. Most of the friends I was with didn't care for it, and all I can remember is taking in article after article about how a bomb this big may have been heralding the end of the blockbuster era. Thankfully, I haven't seen a lot of "bad" movies in the theaters.

• Brohoof 1

A few of my favorite theater experiences have been:

• The Hateful Eight - because I was lucky enough to see the 70MM Roadshow version. Seeing how most mainstreams cinemas nowadays have only digital projection, seeing this movie on actual celluloid film was really special and refreshing.
  • Young Frankenstein & Blazing Saddles - I've seen both these Mel Brooks classics on the big screen on separate occasions, and I have to tell you, the best way to watch any of Mel Brooks's movies is in a theater with a huge audience.
  • My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - I thought the first movie was just alright, but seeing it in the cinema filled almost to capacity with other fellow bronies was pretty cool. It was fun watching all their genuine reactions to various moments in the movie. They even applauded and cheered when Derpy made her appearance in the end credits.
Edited by CinemaBrony
  • Brohoof 1

The worst that I can remember is R.I.P.D., which was probably the biggest bomb Universal had ever released. Most of the friends I was with didn't care for it, and all I can remember is taking in article after article about how a bomb this big may have been heralding the end of the blockbuster era. Thankfully, I haven't seen a lot of "bad" movies in the theaters.

*Shrugs.*  I thought R.I.P.D. was fun.  But then, I saw it on blu-ray; wasn't ever something I planned on walking into a theater for.

Worst movie-going experience was probably "The Dark Knight."  Enjoyed the movie - didn't enjoy the audience.  We purposefully went to see it when we didn't expect a large crowd, and that mostly worked out.  But, apparently, the people who were in attendance were pretty obnoxious.  Laughing at head-scratchingly inappropriate moments in the film and actually breaking into a sad little maybe-ten person round of applause in response to the staff roll.  In addition to the company we were keeping, the sound was up so damned high at the start of the film that I wished I'd brought ear plugs.  Thankfully, someone must've complained and it got turned down...  But geez.  Granted, no degree of volume would probably have made everything Christian Bale said hear-able, but whatever.

Best movie-going experience?  Um...  When I was a kid, Ghostbusters II, Aladdin, Batman Returns, and Jurassic Park were all memorably fun theater experiences.  This obviously predated the advent of high definition home entertainment, so walking into a movie theater to watch a film was actually, you know...  Special.  Special-er?  More special.  Beat VHS on a tube TV.

The best? I'd say going to see Avengers: Age Of Ultron. I enjoyed the movie immensely; not only that, but I saw it in imax which was amazingly atmospheric. It was was awesome walking out of the cinema, and just whispering, "wow... that was awesome!" to myself. Because it truly was.

My worst movie-going experience was probably when my friend and I saw Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No-good, Very Bad Day. I know, long title, huh? :P I didn't necessarily think it was that bad of a movie, and it was nice sharing some nachos and cheese with one if my closest friends... I just don't tend to enjoy comedy movies (of that type). But, at the end of the day, it wasn't a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad movie - I just didn't particularly enjoy it.

• Brohoof 1

I don't go to the cinemas all that often, so I'm going to talk from recent memory.

My best movie going experience was my first viewing of Inside Out. To be honest, I don't really want to call it my best experience because my brother was really rotten throughout all of the movie and called it garbage just because he thought that all animation is made for kids. But otherwise, I just loved having my family and my best friend come along and watch such an elegant movie in 3D. It's also worth saying that this is the first movie I've seen in 3D.

My worst movie going experience is The Good Dinosaur. A lot of children were screaming throughout all of the movie, the cinema was really filthy and I had a throbbing headache that was around even before watching the movie. That, and I honestly found The Good Dinosaur to be a terrible movie.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Jupiter Ascending: Everyone including  me groaned at the romance, but laughed at all the unintentionally funny scenes like the Elephant piloting the ship, Sean Bean's line about Bees sensing royalty, and every scene with Eddie Redmayne.

Edited by Theanimationfanatic

I cant think of a best off the top of my head but the worst would be a time i went to watch one of the Iron Man movies and some random guy infront of me turned around and started talking to me, commenting on the movie as it went on. Buck that guy.

• Brohoof 1

* worst: probably being dragged by my family to watch LOTR. i can't remember which film it was but i have a real problem watching movies in general and tend to get bored and stop half way through so.. i actually genuinely fell asleep in the movie... haha.

* favourite: seeing Jurassic World with my friends. it was just awesome and they're all most closest friends too, so it was great seeing it with them. i enjoyed the movie more because i was with them, i think.

Favorite: Seeing the Force Awakens with my girlfriend, seeing Resurrection F with my girlfriend or seeing Mad Max: Fury Road... with my girlfriend. Fury Road might be my favorite because it was at a local drive-in theater

Least favorite: Seeing the remake of Poltergeist... with my girlfriend again. I didn't like that experience because the movie sucked ass.

I had a great experience with the transformers movies. But the one movie I had a horrible experience with was the newest avengers movie. The kids there just can't shut up. It also pissed me off that they made something worth of being rated R into a over hyped, more family friendly version.

At least they learned from their mistakes and are making the Deadpool movie rated R as it should be.

Deadpool hype :D

• Brohoof 2

One of my least favorite was Man Of Steel. Not because of annoying crowds, but because of the movie itself. When I left the theater entertained but slightly confused. I thought that seeing it a few more times would help. However, with each viewing, I found myself liking it less and less.

• 7 years later...