What did you think?  

315 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it pretty well.
    • THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

Sigh, looks like I won’t be needing all these pitchforks and torches for this episode. Better store them back into the shack. Rest easy my sweetlings, there’s always next week. Well, if nothing else, it was one of the best Spike episodes to date. The rest wasn’t bad, though the baby stuff has been kinda predicted and it truly was every bit as annoying as some thought it would be.

To sum up all the important stuff:

-So Celestia and Luna weren’t born alicorns? Well that’s one way to solve your alicorn lore and retcon your own merchandise.

-Powerful evil arctic storm >>alicorns

-There was that one flying evil smudge at the end of it all that is quite possibly in dire need of friendship or time in Tartarus

-Sombra was a cowardly weakling who preferred to hide the Heart instead of destroying it just to keep said storm away from him. Poor guy never stood a chance, huh.

-Alicorn Cry 1RW instant: tap target alicorn, destroy target artifact or enchantment

-Spike best assistant confirmed

-Starlight Shimmer confirmed [OShabber]

-Sunburst good OC confirmed

-Mane 5 useless thrash confirmed [kappa]

-Twilight’s parents, they speak!

P.S: Do you think Party City does Europe?  I wanna Super Power myself!

• Brohoof 1

I really like Spike's characterization here and his interaction with Starlight. You can tell he views her as a friend and wants to help her any way he can. Could be his best characterization of the show, if it all goes well.

I'm hoping that they decide to carry on this friendship with starlight and spike throughout the season rather than throw it into the background as we've seen before.. especially if Starlight becomes a main character I think.

• Brohoof 1

Which seasons actually had any story arcs. The keys where mentioned from time to time in S4, the book in S3 was only something that was mentioned in the premiere and finale, there was the gala in S1, which was the closest for me and S2 had nothing. S5 actually made a few hidden cameos for Starlight.

This show was never really one to have story arcs and rather treats the episodes like mostly one shot slice of life stories, which i am ok with.

Yeah I guess, but S4 had quite a good arc. I Really wish though that for G5, they take a new direction to the show, because if there's no story arc, there's no evidence Grogar is going to return.

Yeah I guess, but S4 had quite a good arc. I Really wish though that for G5, they take a new direction to the show, because if there's no story arc, there's no evidence Grogar is going to return.

First off, why do you need a story arc for Grogar? Just because Tirek was in S4, with your Story Arc? They could've probably put him in eitherway

Second off, why do we need Grogar at all? I rather want to see more original Villains. I was never really hot with Tirek.

• Brohoof 1

I loved these episodes. Awkward Starlight is so adorable, especially coupled with awkward Sunburst. I said that one of the things that would have made the S5 finale even better is if Starlight was reunited with Sunburst. Looks like I'm not the only one who thought so too, and it was just sweet as I thought it would be.

Moving on to Flurry Heart, I don't hate the fact that she's an alicorn. I warmed up to her pretty fast after she sneezed and a FREAKING LASER-BEAM shot out her head, almost making me double over with laughter. Time will tell how much she comes into play in the future, along with how much of an impact Starlight will have on this season ()especially since they included her in the opening group photo).

Also points for the writers for actually having Celestia and Luna do something rather than just stand around. Granted, they couldn't defeat the oncoming storm, but they did last far longer than Dash and likely bought the others precious minutes to find a solution. Though, I noticed that when everyone is crystalized, they all have unique Crystal Pony models except for Celestia and Luna, who just have the crystal texture applied over their old model. Come on, a least put ribbons in their hair of something!   

If I had to find fault, it would be that you could see a lot of stuff coming way ahead of time. Like, the moment Flurry Heart was separated from Pinkie, you knew something bad was going to happen. (On that note, "Don't tell them about the Crystal Heart!", sends Applejack, Equestria's worst liar) Or when they found the SUPER IMPORTANT book that was VITAL to restoring the Crystal Heart and that they were lucky to find UNDAMAGED.

Murphy, that's your cue. 

Another minor nitpick is Cadence's line while they're in the library: "Shining Armor, I though you were watching the baby?" Not only does her delivery irk me for some reason, but has she been paying attention to what's been going on the last five minutes of Shining, Pinkie and Rarity running around while trying to corner the surprisingly nimble foal as she flies and teleports circles around them?

Still, despite my nitpicks, I really liked this opener. As always, let's hope that this will be a sign of good things to come for the quality of this season.

• Brohoof 1

I was a bit disappointed that Shining Armor didn't call her Twiley in this two parter, but since he already did so in The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows, and he wasn't really in his right mind most of the time, i suppose i can let it slide. :)

First off, why do you need a story arc for Grogar? Just because Tirek was in S4, with your Story Arc? They could've probably put him in eitherway

Second off, why do we need Grogar at all? I rather want to see more original Villains. I was never really hot with Tirek.

Grogar, from what I heard, posessed a Bell, the Bell of which was so powerful, it could outmatch Tireks power, I was frustrated with last year's Smooze episode because Discord said he has had him for ''Years'', the Smooze, from what I heard, is unstoppable, and as long as he's got metal(no metal is his only weakness), he could have taken out Tirek easily, I don't get why Discord betrayed them all, he was such a hypocrite for having a friend who could easily beat Tirek. I was a little bit upset that Hasbro played the ''Classic Villain Card'' early last year. I hope the finale this year will be the best one ever, either

A: Have the Changelings return, properly, the fans have been demanding it.

B: Get Grogar to be the Finale villain.

C: A Major War, which could be mixed with A.

See, in Season 4, the Chest was so promising, it wouldn't be opened until the end, the contents secret(Unfortunately Hasbro spilled them). And Tirek was such a good villain. To be honest, I hope that this year will have some episodes similar to Trade Ya! Because, at the moment, I'm not really keen on Slice of Life style episodes. Breaking Bad and Game Of Thrones, despite being a different age group, have a continuous story arc, so did Steven Universe. And Redwall as well, I mean, what they should have done is have the Crystal Heart Smashed, and then fragments of it will be collected throughout episodes, and the Crystal Heart repels Grogar.

Sorry if I was a bit OT.

Grogar, from what I heard, posessed a Bell, the Bell of which was so powerful, it could outmatch Tireks power, I was frustrated with last year's Smooze episode because Discord said he has had him for ''Years'', the Smooze, from what I heard, is unstoppable, and as long as he's got metal(no metal is his only weakness), he could have taken out Tirek easily, I don't get why Discord betrayed them all, he was such a hypocrite for having a friend who could easily beat Tirek. I was a little bit upset that Hasbro played the ''Classic Villain Card'' early last year. I hope the finale this year will be the best one ever, either

A: Have the Changelings return, properly, the fans have been demanding it.

B: Get Grogar to be the Finale villain.

C: A Major War, which could be mixed with A.

See, in Season 4, the Chest was so promising, it wouldn't be opened until the end, the contents secret(Unfortunately Hasbro spilled them). And Tirek was such a good villain. To be honest, I hope that this year will have some episodes similar to Trade Ya! Because, at the moment, I'm not really keen on Slice of Life style episodes. Breaking Bad and Game Of Thrones, despite being a different age group, have a continuous story arc, so did Steven Universe. And Redwall as well, I mean, what they should have done is have the Crystal Heart Smashed, and then fragments of it will be collected throughout episodes, and the Crystal Heart repels Grogar.

Sorry if I was a bit OT.

I mean no disrespect here. You are entitled to your opinion after all and i respect that. But if you look for something more adventureous, like in the style of Game of Thrones, you are looking at the wrong series.

MLP was always, first and foremost, a slice of life show and to be honest i want this to stay that way, because i think slice of life is the series strong point. Also, the fans demand, while acceptable, is not the only thing that the writers take into account. Believe it or not, bronies don't make the major demographic, who tune in the TV, buy the toys, watch the commercials, etc. It's not as easy as you might think.

And for me, Wars are a terrible idea. for example, i hated the sombra universe in the season 5 finale, because i felt like i watch a Fallout Equestria animation, which i can't stand. I can never understand the notion that "Dark = Good." If the show takes itself too seriously, it can backfire. I like the silly slice of life stories, because they actually reach some emotion in me. I would rather have an episode like "Amending Fences" 1000 times, instead of an episode like Twilights Kingdom.

Again, just my opinion.

• Brohoof 6

https://twitter.com/TheBiggestJim/status/713751663874600960

Looks like even Jim ships Spike and Starlight.

With Big Jim, it's hard to say whether he's being serious or just tweaking the shippers.

However, if it turns out all those scenes with Spike grooming and preening and getting all touchy-feely with Starlight actually is the show dropping hints that he's trying to make an impression on her, I'll fall over laughing over the audacity of it!

I hope that this year will have some episodes similar to Trade Ya! Because, at the moment, I'm not really keen on Slice of Life style episodes. Breaking Bad and Game Of Thrones, despite being a different age group, have a continuous story arc, so did Steven Universe.

Friendship is Magic has been a Slice of life show since season 1, there's adventure episodes sure, but most of the meat comes from the slice of life, that's likely not going to change anytime soon. There might be arcs that run through episodes, the Gala from season 1, the Equestria games from season3/4, and the keys in 4, but they're mostly in the background and not the main focus. Even if this season did introduce a new arc, it would still mostly be slice of life.

If that's not what you're in the mood for, that's fine. There are plenty of shows doing the continuous arc thing you can also enjoy, and you can come back to MLP whenever you want.

Edited by BasementBloom

I mean no disrespect here. You are entitled to your opinion after all and i respect that. But if you look for something more adventureous, like in the style of Game of Thrones, you are looking at the wrong series.

MLP was always, first and foremost, a slice of life show and to be honest i want this to stay that way, because i think slice of life is the series strong point. Also, the fans demand, while acceptable, is not the only thing that the writers take into account. Believe it or not, bronies don't make the major demographic, who tune in the TV, buy the toys, watch the commercials, etc. It's not as easy as you might think.

And for me, Wars are a terrible idea. for example, i hated the sombra universe in the season 5 finale, because i felt like i watch a Fallout Equestria animation, which i can't stand. I can never understand the notion that "Dark = Good." If the show takes itself too seriously, it can backfire. I like the silly slice of life stories, because they actually reach some emotion in me. I would rather have an episode like "Amending Fences" 1000 times, instead of an episode like Twilights Kingdom.

Again, just my opinion.

Yeah I guess your right, back in the 1980s and 1990s there was this thing called the Animation Age Ghetto, I mean, two series I loved from that era were Farthing Wood and Redwall, and they both had overarching storylines that were epic, along with some Python-esque humor(Tim Curry was in Mattimeo), Slice of Life is good, it's just that, sometimes it doesn't always work with World Building, Pingu is probably my favourite Slice of Life show ever, and so is Star Trek, and the original Spongebobs. Nowadays I don't know what to think, all lessons that I've learned in life can be learned. Like you, it's just my opinion. 

Friendship is Magic has been a Slice of life show since season 1, there's adventure episodes sure, but most of the meat comes from the slice of life, that's likely not going to change anytime soon. There might be arcs that run through episodes, the Gala from season 1, the Equestria games from season3/4, and the keys in 4, but they're mostly in the background and not the main focus. Even if this season did introduce a new arc, it would still mostly be slice of life.

If that's not what you're in the mood for, that's fine. There are plenty of shows doing the continuous arc thing you can also enjoy, and you can come back to MLP whenever you want.

Indeed, so i don't have to leave the fandom?

You don't have to do anything. If you want to stay in the fandom you're welcome to do that, if you want to leave you're welcome to do that too. If what you want is a more continuous arc, then you can still watch other shows, and just come back to MLP for the things you do enjoy about it, there's no need to leave the fandom. It's not like you're only required to watch this show and nothing else. 

Yeah I guess your right, back in the 1980s and 1990s there was this thing called the Animation Age Ghetto, I mean, two series I loved from that era were Farthing Wood and Redwall, and they both had overarching storylines that were epic, along with some Python-esque humor(Tim Curry was in Mattimeo), Slice of Life is good, it's just that, sometimes it doesn't always work with World Building, Pingu is probably my favourite Slice of Life show ever, and so is Star Trek, and the original Spongebobs. Nowadays I don't know what to think, all lessons that I've learned in life can be learned. Like you, it's just my opinion. 

Yeah no, i have no problem with your opinion. ;)

BTW, you can stay in the fandom. :P

You don't have to do anything. If you want to stay in the fandom you're welcome to do that, if you want to leave you're welcome to do that too. If what you want is a more continuous arc, then you can still watch other shows, and just come back to MLP for the things you do enjoy about it, there's no need to leave the fandom. It's not like you're only required to watch this show and nothing else. 

THANK YOU!!! I really do like this show, if there is an episode that interests me, I'll watch it.

Right now, this stands as my favorite Season Premier...EVER!  The strength of the episode was between Starlight and Sunburst, and I'm actually glad they didn't make the baby the savior of the episode.  That would have been cliche.  XP

Of course, there's a part of me that wants to make a music video of this to Aerosmith's Don't wanna miss a thing.

• Brohoof 2

Really liked this opening!

That Dr. Who reference at the beginning  B)  "It looks smaller on the outside"

It occurs to me that Sunburst is good at knowing magic, but not really at using magic, after all did he even cast any spell at the end? (and no absorbing the love into the crystal doesn't count) That would be an interesting idea, having the ability to know any spell for a given situation, but can't use them.

Lets not over look that Twilight's parents have talked now for the first time!! How ever in the credits they are simply called "Mr./Mrs. Sparkle"

And finally that shadow flying over the Crystal empire at the very end  :okiedokielokie:  Dr. Wolf thought it might be a changling, so we could see them more in S6? lets hope so!

I was surprised when the episode mentioned Starlight was now living in Twilight's castle. Before, I had assumed from the season 5 finale that she went back to the town with no name because she had a house there.

Me too. It would have been nice that she amended and blended in to Our Town and would visit Twilight for her lessons.

Maybe Twilight didn't trust her to move back to the town.

I just wondered: If Sunburst never became a wizard, what exactly does he actually do? I mean, he didn't just get such a huge house in the crystal empire for nothing right?