315 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it pretty well.
    • THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

Yeah, I liked it.. a lot.

Starlight's relationships with some of the other characters are already standing out. Her and Twilight, her and Sunburst, her and Spike..

I can't place my finger on it, but I also kind of like how the focus wasn't entirely on the danger and there were various things going on amidst it all.

It was very enjoyable.

I have been watching for a while. This was kinda sad for a premiere. I mean this episode was mainly surrounded selling toys fro the crystal empire toys and the new child. Still a good episode though I guess.

So my main thought going into this two parter was "how the flip is a character with no dialog gonna support two episodes?" so I was pleasantly surprised when they didn't try to use flurry heart to carry the entire episode but rather use her as a catalyst for the plot. Another thing that was great about this episode was that Luna and Celestia were finally INVOLVED and there wasn't some overly convenient issue keeping them from helping. In short this was a good start to what I hope will be just as good a season if not better.

• Brohoof 1

Well, pretty alright, i gotta say. I really like how they're giving Starlight more characterization, but the fact she doesn't seem to hold any resentment toward Sunburst is a tad jarring, still, good thing they're back to being friends. In all honestly, i think too much time got wasted in the scenes with Flurry Heart, they feel like those scenes from Baby Cakes. Anyway, the foal herself is cute, though, let's see how she fares in future episodes (hopefully she won't be the one to defeat this season's final boss). Anyway, only time will tell if Twilight becomes a worthy master for her newfound padawan. And the best parts are, of course, Spike getting more respect and Twi's parents speaking for the first time.

• Brohoof 1

My first comment on Season 6, let me firstly say Welcomeee Season 6!! I loved this beginning of of the new season but obviously far not as much as the end of the previous season. And although this may not be a big story start with lots of things happening like in the Season 5 finale, I think this is fine. I just like Starlight, the very moment I saw her in these two first season 6 episodes! She doesn't seem to go evil anymore, even if some things were too much for her. The most interesting of the episode imo is seeing how she interacts with others at these places.

Luna - nice to see her again in some action

I was confusing Starswirl with Sunburst and thought Sunburst was the one that did the time travel spell. Ok now Im corrected. Oh and *ahem* Harry *Sunburst* Potter!

Im wondering if Starlight will be throughout the season and probably go back to her village in the end of the season or be really like a 7th member. Nah she's not mane 7th from what I see but I I like the whole idea of having her around, after all seasons, a change in the number is a nice thing or it would be the same heroes saving all every season.

For the flurry, im just glad i didnt hear a long 'waaaaaaaaaaaaaah' (i had my finger on the volume button, the sonic blast was fine)

Does anyone else think Sunburst looks like a combination of Ron Weasley (flaming hair) and Harry Potter (self-effacing manner and, of course, the glasses.)?

I do see a theme in this episode that could carry on through the season - magic students that ran off the rails, and how they get their self-respect/abilities back.  We know Sunburst could do magic before, that has been amply demonstrated.  And we know that Starlight Glimmer has powerful magic at her disposal, she just needs to get her priorities straight and apply her ability in a positive way.  

I'm looking for a conversation between Celestia and Twilight Sparkle re: where Sunburst lost his ability to do magic.  That conversation could spawn an entire episode.

Oh, and I want a song!

Edited by Foliha
  • Brohoof 1

where Sunburst lost his ability to do magic.

He didn't. He clearly still levitates books around and does magic in the present, so he still has it. If you pay attention to the flashbacks at the start of the episode, you'll notice something interesting. Sunburst kept helping Starlight learn how to do magic, but then Starlight kept doing it better than him. Sunburst levitates up a book, then Starlight levitates 4 blocks and twirls them around with ease. Sunburst cleans up a single spill, but then Starlight cleans the whole kitchen herself once shown. Sunburst had more knowledge, but Starlight had more power.

When he saved Starlight from the book tower, and got his cutie mark, you could say that was like Twilight's burst of power at the Sonic Rainboom event, he saw his friend in danger and in the "Adrenaline rush" his power surged to save her, but that's not his usual level of power.

Edited by BasementBloom
  • Brohoof 3

He didn't. He clearly still levitates books around and does magic in the present, so he still has it. If you pay attention to the flashbacks at the start of the episode, you'll notice something interesting. Sunburst kept helping Starlight learn how to do magic, but then Starlight kept doing it better than him. Sunburst levitates up a book, then Starlight levitates 4 blocks and twirls them around with ease. Sunburst cleans up a single spill, but then Starlight cleans the whole kitchen herself once shown. Sunburst had more knowledge, but Starlight had more power.

When he saved Starlight from the book tower, and got his cutie mark, you could say that was like Twilight's burst of power at the Sonic Rainboom event, he saw his friend in danger and in the "Adrenaline rush" his power surged to save her, but that's not his usual level of power.

Hmmm.  You're right...  So are they going to become an unstoppable duo, with her power and his knowledge?

Hmmm.  You're right...  So are they going to become an unstoppable duo, with her power and his knowledge?

Well, Sunburst is staying in the Crystal Empire, and Starlight's heading back to Ponyville to continue being Twi's student, though they promised to keep in touch. I don't think they'll become an unstoppable duo right now, but if they ever had to work together again, I could imagine that being the case.

• Brohoof 2

Seems like most people who want a big epic plot line were disappointed, and most of the people like me who want a relationship-driven plot were happy.  

this is not a surprise, because the the story wasn't all that epic or well told, while there are MANY excellent relationships points.  

To those of you who are worried about the rest of the main characters, I'd like to remind you how little influence last season's premier had on the season.  There were just a handful of episodes that used the map, and the vast majority were business as usual.  I'd share your concern, if I really thought starlight was going to take a season-wide primary role.  

I feel like I was the target audience for these two episodes.  I LOVED them, but can easily see what sorts of people would be disappointed.  There are glaring weaknesses, but they are not over parts of MLP that I consider important.  

Spike had some of the best characterization that we have seen from him in a long time.

This is really one of my highlights as well.

He still felt like spike, because he was flexing in the bathroom, and was excited to tell his story...
but he was VASTLY more humble about it than you would expect.  And when Starlight egged him on to delay further, he didn't lose focus on their purpose.  He is really thinking about others in a powerful and effective way.  
Also, his analysis of Twilight's mentoring was spot on.  

Starlight and Sunburst's dynamic was very relocatable and believable as well.  
Who doesn't feel inadequate from time to time?
Broken relationships are just a fact of life, and seeing one fixed just feels good when it is handled this well.

• Brohoof 4

I think their nerfing Flurry has to do with that changeling we saw flying over the empire at the end

There's gonna be a switch. Calling it.

Changling? where did i miss that shot?

Aslo NO Spike X starlight..people really -_- i mean really..AGE difference..it a bloody child for crying out loud.

When he saved Starlight from the book tower, and got his cutie mark, you could say that was like Twilight's burst of power at the Sonic Rainboom event, he sHuaw his friend in danger and in the "Adrenaline rush" his power surged to save her, but that's not his usual level of power.

Huh good point :)  I mean Starlight was able to make a spell to remove cutie marks and supress ablites wich yeah is starswirld level of magic righ there. well that and magical flight let's not forget that.

I liked the episode ^^

I guess we were lucky to have the new season so soon after S5 because we were unlucky to have so many Hiatusses in S5 ;) They kept pushing episodes back and back during 5...

Wasn't so sure of Starlight at first, she seemed a bit to timid early on, but I loved how she kept her sass anyway.

Not really digging the new manestyle though, it's to similar to Rarity's and her bangs looked better on her :)

Also, Sunburst used to be Celestia's student as well? What's the story there, hope to get an ep on that too.

I was also surprised that Luna and Celestia weren't born Alicorns. What are the odds of 2 siblings becoming Alicorns. They should get a mini series to see that development ;)

And, come on pll, why didn't Luna and Celestia get pretty Mane-Do's like the rest of them!!!

8/10 for the double episode from me :)

• Brohoof 1

Well, that was a vomitorium.

Actually, to be fair, objectively speaking, it really wasn't that bad.  (Yes, it was!)  No, it really wasn't.  :/

Okay, so for some personal reasons, I have been extremely upset about this baby (or Turbulence Cardioid, as I call her) from the get-go.  But actually, I really liked everything else about this episode.

Let's start with Starlight.  I was blown away by the decision to have her live at the castle as Twi's student.  Wowza.  I had predicted that she as just going to make amends with the ponies back in Pleasantville (or whatever you want to call her village), and go her own way.  I figured we'd see her about as often as Zecora, or maybe Gilda, or someone like that.  Or Moondancer.  (Yay!  We're friends again!  See you next season!  See you Spacepony, someday, somewhere!)  But I was tickled to death with what they decided to do with her.  Starlight living at the Castle?!  I think that's just the tops.  I was also thrilled with this initial storyline of hers.  I found it interesting and engaging.  And I loved Spike's characterization here.  Really got to agree with @Dark Qiviut on this one.  After many a horrid Spike spotlight, I was ecstatic about his behavior here.  I found him surprisingly mature here.  The whole time, I was thinking, "Now that's the Spike I know, not this Princess Spike sh*t."  Even when Starlight played to his pride over saving the Empire, he was reluctant to tell the story, refused to tell the Equestria Games story, and hurried Starlight along to the task at claw/hoof.  Way to go, Spike.  Nice.

I feel like the general brony consensus may be annoyance here.  I'm thinking that perhaps the majority of the community is not happy about Starlight's apparent addition as a permanent cast member.  (She's even in the opening photo!   :D)  It seems that many don't like her, and I'm predicting annoyance at the fact that she may take screentime away from others.  But me?  I'm thrilled and can't wait to see what's next for her.  I really like her, despite her overreaction in the Cutie Re-Mark, her lack of believable backstory, and her rushed reform.  (The FIM hat trick!)  I think she's got great potential.  Furthermore, I really welcome the development of additional characters.   I think that works well in this show.  For me, it doesn't necessarily have to always keep the same exact formula.  Honestly, it wouldn't bother me a bit if they spent a whole season focusing on the development of lesser known ponies.  That's a little extreme, but that's just me.  Anyway, I loved her story, and I loved Sunburst.

Thank Celestia that Celestia was in this episode.  It's nice to know that she still....y'know....EXISTS.  Seriously, I'm so glad that the sisters were there and had decent roles.  It would have destroyed the lore once and for all if they hadn't appeared.  (Celestia even had a SPEAKING PART!  By the gods!  Can this be real?!)

Perhaps the best part of the episode for me was seeing Twilight's parents.  I'm so glad they showed up and that the writers didn't gloss over the fact that they would obviously want to meet their frigging granddaughter.  Was this the first time they had speaking roles?  Think so.  Or did they speak during the flashback of Twilight's entrance exam to Celestia's school?  Anyway, I love how Twi's mom sounded really similar to her.  (That was Tara, wasn't it?)  I love how she just sounded like a slightly deeper and older Twilight.  That was perfect.

Basically, I loved everything except that little bundle of vomit.  Lore destroying piece of sh*t...   I would have been okay with it if she had just been a normal, unremarkable unicorn.  Okay, so, just to clarify, I'm extremely biased here, and I have some very strong and very personal reasons why I hate it when they have babies on TV.  It's not an objective review of any kind.  I'm just glad that they apparently quashed her out-of-control magic, so she'll evidently be normal from now on.  Hopefully.  I just really hope she doesn't steal the spotlight much from now on.

But actually, what upset me most about this episode was the sister's lines regarding natural alicorn births.  "There's never been an alicorn born in Equestia," and "We don't fully understand it ourselves".  This seems to imply that the sisters were not born alicorns, which is f*cking bullsh*t in my opinion.  They had to have been born alicorns.  They age at the natural alicorn rate, and are thousands of years old.  If they transformed, then that means that Twilight is now immortal, too, and I don't think that's what the writer's intended.  Looking at this from a technical standpoint, the sisters neither confirmed nor denied anything here.  Celestia said that no alicorn has been born in Equestria.  This is true.  Celesia and Luna were born an indeterminate amount of time before Equestria was founded.  We don't know where they were born.  Saying that no alicorn has been born in Equestria is not proof that the sisters were not born alicorns.  Luna said that they don't fully understand this phenomenon.  Also not proof of anything.  Perhaps she just means that they don't understand why natural alicorn births occur.  This doesn't mean that they themselves were not born alicorns.  It just means they don't know why.  This is a magical land, but what they don't have are microscopes.  They can't study DNA.  They can't see the double helix.  If they could, perhaps they'd understand why alicorn births occur, and why they are so rare.  But as is, they can only speculate.  This doesn't mean the sisters aren't natural born alicorns.  I just don't see how they couldn't be.  All we can say for 100% certain is that they were both alicorns before Equestria was founded, and that they were approached by Starswirl and asked to become princesses of Equestria because they represented what the land stands for--the unification of the three races.  They accepted, and were appointed as princesses.  They are each, at minimum, ~1100 years, old, but probably much, much older.  It's highly improbable that Luna would have Nightmare Mooned up in only a few years.  I'm guessing they ruled for at least 1000 years before NMM, making them at least 2000.  That's all we can say for absolute certain.  We don't know exactly when they were born, we don't know where, we know nothing of their parents, and we don't know the circumstances of their birth.  I still say they must be natural born alicorns.  If they're not, that really, REALLY pisses me off, for reasons even I'm not entirely sure of.  I think it's because the prospect of Turbulence Cardioid being the only natural born alicorn in pony history completely cheapens and diminishes the sisters, as if they're not already diminished enough as is.  But really, I think the most plausible scenario is that Darth Plagueis manipulated the midi-chlorians to create the sisters.

Alright, that said, I think the show still has enormous potential, and I think it's shaping up to be a killer season, provided they never show that little sack of crap again.  (Yes, I'm definitely a real sourpuss.)

Not really digging the new manestyle though, it's to similar to Rarity's and her bangs looked better on her :)

Holy crap, how did I miss that?!  Every time they showed Starlight, I kept staring at her forelock.  My eyes were drawn to it, and yet I still didn't realize it was different.  I always miss stuff like that.  But you're right, her bangs were way better.

OH!!!!!  I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT THEY SHOULDA DONE!!!  Twilight should have made Starlight cut her hair really short, save for one, asymmetrical, long braid.  A long, apprentice braid.  Come one, would that not be the coolest thing ever done on the show?!  Yeah, it totally would.

• Brohoof 2

Does anyone else think Sunburst looks like a combination of Ron Weasley (flaming hair) and Harry Potter (self-effacing manner and, of course, the glasses.)?

I definitely see the Harry Potterness about him. Less so on Ron, though I do agree their hair/mane color are very much alike.

Speaking of which, I'm jealous of Sunburst's mane. I wish my hair was still as thick and could grow as long as that mane. I just want to run my fingers through all that plush pony hair!

You could even say... I really like her his mane! (ducks all the tomatoes)

Oh, and I want a song!

::blinks twice::

Wow, it slipped right by me that this was the first premiere ever without a musical number...

Wow, it slipped right by me that this was the first premiere ever without a musical number...

seriously?

I guess that would slip by someone like me who doesn't watch the show for the songs.  

---

Was there any difference in the theme song besides the cutie marks?  or is the same as last seasons?

---

The only problem I have with the alicorn thing...is that they excluded earth ponies again:

Pinkie: "wow!  a unicorn AND a pegasus!"

Edited by weesh

I thnk it's bullspit that the Crystal empire was seen to have magic disable spells for unicorns at the Equ ute stria Games, but the royal family CAN'T THINK TO SET UP MAGIC DISABLERS ALL AROUND THE FRIKIN CASTLE?!

ALSO, WHY THE HELL WOULD CADANCE EVEN SETTLE DOWN? DIDN'T SHE SAY PRINCESS LIFE WAS BORING, AND THAT SHE WANTED ADVENTURE, BACK IN THREE'S A CROWD? ! HOW IS HAVING A FRIKIN BABY GOING TO GAURANTEE ADVENTURE? IF ANYTHING, SHE'S GIVING HERSELF REASON TO BE COOPED IN THE CASTLE, DOING BORING PRINCESS CRAP!

ALSO, WHY THE HELL WOULD CADANCE EVEN SETTLE DOWN? DIDN'T SHE SAY PRINCESS LIFE WAS BORING, AND THAT SHE WANTED ADVENTURE, BACK IN THREE'S A CROWD? ! HOW IS HAVING A FRIKIN BABY GOING TO GAURANTEE ADVENTURE? IF ANYTHING, SHE'S GIVING HERSELF REASON TO BE COOPED IN THE CASTLE, DOING BORING PRINCESS CRAP!

given shining armor's level of exhaustion, it is possible that they are sharing the load equitably.  Since Cadence seems to have a higher level of royal responsibility, it is possible that the greater burden for rearing Flurry will go to Shining Armor.  Is it really fair to call her new responsibilities "princess crap"?

Man Starlight's new manestyle... Rarity giving her fashion tips? An episode where they hang out would be cool I guess... :please:

Anyway, extended thoughts on the episode... pretty different for a season premiere, more slice of life mixed with dire straits rather than one or the other. Not really a mind - blowing episode though, serviceable story and mild comic relief as is present in most episodes. I do like the baby though, even though she did cause the problem. :P

• Brohoof 1

I was confusing Starswirl with Sunburst and thought Sunburst was the one that did the time travel spell. Ok now Im corrected.

But... what if that's a possibility?  WHAT IF IT FREAKING IS!?

Sunburst was impressed with the time travel spell... and knew a HELL of a lot about magic... and that cloak he wore... made me think...

What if Sunburst IS Starswirl The Bearded? 

Follow me, here: What if some point down the line, he begins experimenting with time travel magic firsthoof, and makes a mistake that takes him into Equestria's past... permanently.  Therefore, he has to make himself a new life there; he ends up becoming a scholar, but with so much knowledge of the future that others think he truly has the magic to see into the future... ergo, he becomes a sorcerer in that time and place.  He already knows what needs to happen in the future, so he prepares for it now: all the different spells used by Twi & the gang since the beginning have been magics that SUNBURST either had in his head, or managed to create.  Of course, his legend was exaggerated greatly over time - so much so, that not even Celestia nor Luna recognized what would have been a MUCH younger Starswirl (admittedly, there were things going on at the time), as they had come to recall mostly what he did instead of who he was.

The crowning touch for me?  Sunburst's beard; if it grew out, it would look eerily similar to every canon picture of Starswirl I've ever seen.

I'm NOT trying to pass this off as what IS happening... but... but... I just blew my OWN mind...

post-34233-0-64707200-1459138306_thumb.jpeg