Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Have you tried to be emotional to a piece of entertainment but just couldn't?

cybershocker455

This happens to me sometimes where there's this scene where you're supposed to cry but you don't cry at all. You feel a little sad yes, but not a lot. I think it's because I know how storytelling works and I know the tricks and if something's going to happen or not. Sometimes there's something sad happening and you don't feel it because it was: a. expected, and b. the characters aren't real. And even if the movie is based off of real events, you know it's fabricated and rather predictable. I guess I know how the world of fiction works.

Any of you guys feel the same way? 

• Brohoof 1

There have been plenty of time where a scene in a movie is supposed to be emotional, but there is something that stops me from feeling the way the scene wants me to feel. Sometimes it's the actors expression, or some bad CGI, or even the scene reminding me of something funny, but something distracts from the scene.

Yes 99% of the world would cry and I am in the 1% of heartless people that never cry lol that's how I feel at times I think to myself and I am like I am so heartless I am on the list of heartless people maybe if I pretend to cry or just throw water on my face there I am crying, but at times they are predictable so its hard to cry when you have seen it over and over again movies and things keep repeating themselves so I have finally accepted I am in the 1 percentage of heartless people that never cry at sad scenes and its worse when they play those animals being abused commercials and they have in the arms of the angel playing and I just sit there like really? oh god I should be crying WHY AM I NOT CRYING???? then I realize I am heartless its hard to take things like that serious when they have in the arms of the angel playing I mean whenever something sad was on they use to play my heart will go on from Titanic my eyeballs are just heartless eyeballs that can't cry, but I do love animals so seeing them suffering makes me angry not sad, but the commercials are just trying to make money and those commercials/movies/games made me realize that I have heartless eyeballs.

@@cybershocker455

I edited your topic title a bit; largely so that it's complete and our search system can locate it well enough if someone tries to look for it. :)

well whether the emotional moments in entertainments were too predictable or unreal or even expected at all, I never felt emotional back when I was a kid. But to this day I do feel emotional in some parts of entertainment.

Undertale.  I really wanted to like this game, a lot of people I know loved it.  But I just..  Didn't care.

Same with Mario Galaxy, specifically Rosalina's storybook.  She didn't appeal to me as a character, so it was hard to care about her past.

(edited)

It's actually difficult to get me to get emotional towards some sort of media. Getting emotional has only happened to me 4 times ever, once in Toy Story 3 ending, once in Gurren Lagann(YOU KNOW THE SCENE), Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations with the final two cases, and MGS3 with the ending

Edited by Megas

I cannot let my emotions out very well. I can't cry when I'm sad. I read a fanfic and I felt VERY sad, but I couldn't let a single tear out. I tried to force one out of my eye, but it just didn't work. Emotional strength is NOT good.

• Brohoof 3

Yes, but only with movies. Only one movie has ever gotten me emotional: Zootopia. The reason I was only emotional to that was because it felt like I was reading a book rather than watching a movie. I'm a huge book reader so I connect very easily to books (The Deathly Hallows gets me every time). Movies are just not something I can easily connect too (obviously discluding Zootopia).

I realize I shouldn't force tears to come down my eyes, it has to be natural. Something that I realize is really hard to do with me. The only time I automatically cry is whenever I think about Mr. Rogers.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really cry that much. Even when I'm genuinely heartbroken. Crying over movies, music, books, or anything just doesn't happen anymore. It's been quite some time since I have.

• Brohoof 1

I get sad over some crazy stuff too.  Some Nintendo games hit me emotionally (Explorers of Sky and Mother 3) and sometimes crazy scenes in things gets me sad over things where it's not even supposed to be gloomy.

Does it count if you feel the wrong emotion for a piece of entertainment.

Such as if you are supposed to feel bad for a character but instead you are angry with them instead.

There's at least one certain game ending that was so sad that it made a whole Skype group cry bitter tears but I just couldn't properly shed a tear. Maybe a couple, but that can't be called crying. There are many more things like that too because I just can't cry if I'm not feeling literally sad at the same time.