Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I hope I NEVER become Horse Famous. Do you?

TheWhiteBowser

I've been video editing on youtube for many years now. And have successfully created many PMV's and AMV's. Yet my sub count has stayed at around 300 for the longest time. And given recent events going around the fandom and abroad on youtube... I kinda hope it stays that way.

I couldn't imagine having 100,000 subs. I personally think it would be a nightmare. So much attention would be thrust upon me that I wouldn't be able to focus on my own personal goals or projects. That said. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't mind 1,000 subs.

With the recent dosage of drama going around in the fandom about horse fame I have to wonder how do you guys respond to it? It really seems like the bugs are coming out and the gloves are coming off and more and more workers who work for "horse famous" people are demanding compensation OR ELSE.

And honestly I don't blame them. The only time I would work with someone is if it's for a collab project. Other than that I remember once considering auditioning for Josh Scorcher's team but decided against it because of a gut feeling. That and I've noticed his video quality has improved lately. Perhaps meaning he's not doing all the editing anymore...

Personally my viewpoint is that eventually youtube will cave-in on itself with all the new rules and stuff its putting in recently like heroes and the terms of service changes. Big names and all the drama channels will quit and give rise to real content creators like me or others who are underappreciated or not noticed. I can dream can't I?

I generally think horse fame is pointless too. It does nothing to further your status only your ego. I once paid someone to react to one of my music videos. I don't regret it as it got me some well deserved recognition. But there is a small side of me that wishes I didn't have to pay.

But with all this being said. I might be an extrovert. But I can cave-in pretty easily when I'm hanging around too many people. I like attention but only up to a certain point. Mainly because I know the more attention you get the more you want. Which makes you do stupid and narsacisstic things.

Do any of you still want to be horse famous or even youtube famous even with all the drama going around recently? If you had the artistic skill would you want it unlike me? Do you have the artistic skill like me and want horse fame more than I do? 

Voice your concerns and discuss down below.

Alternatively if drama in the fandom is not welcome for discussion on this website. Lock this thread.

Freedom is more important than fame. It's something that took me 7 years, 3 months, and 8 days to learn. I peaked at 5,103 subscribers twice in late February and early Mearch this year and now I'm at 4,599. I fell from what little grace I had and the trade was beneficial. Fame has too little guarantees and too many costs for most people to pursue, as in I'd recommend 99% of people to avoid the dream because it's not feasible. It's fun if you can make it happen. Not many get to experience it

But I still do what I enjoy doing because it's fun. But at the same time, I'm still upset that I'm losing subscribers. I've lost almost 10% of my peak count in only 6 months. If the pattern continues perfectly, I'll reach 0 in 4.5 more years. Maybe some are enjoying watching me burn, but I'm enjoying watching them burn too. Smash Bros Melee's tournament scene is losing its popularity slowly

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I wouldn't mind being Horse-Famous. While I despise the concept, I actually try for it. It's really a matter of what you do that makes the difference. If you enjoy what you do, then you don't have to worry about it. If you have good friends, you won't be doing it alone. So again, it just depends on what you got horse-famous for and if you like what you did. 

Not anymore. I can remember when I was new to the fandom I sought attention. Now that I regularly make art and write fics, I'm content with avoiding the spotlight.

One little ding that someone commented on my latest emblem or favorited my story makes my whole day. Thousands would probably scare me away permanently. I don't have what it takes to follow and meet the expectations of a large fanbase.

• Brohoof 1

I would absolutely love to be famous, for something good of course. Whether it be my signatures or whatever else, I would love to have a huge amount of fans that I am able to bring joy to. This could be MLP or non-MLP related. Wouldn't matter which. All that ever could be is a hopeless dream for me though.

• Brohoof 1

Freedom is more important than fame. It's something that took me 7 years, 3 months, and 8 days to learn.

That's oddily specific... Is there a deep underlying story behind that?

I've lost almost 10% of my peak count in only 6 months. If the pattern continues perfectly, I'll reach 0 in 4.5 more years. Maybe some are enjoying watching me burn

I highly doubt that a trend like that will continue over the next 4.5 years. A lot can happen in 4.5 years. A horrible presidency could happen in only 4 years. *Wink-wink-nudge-nudge*

Smash Bros Melee's tournament scene is losing its popularity slowly

That's still a thing? :P

That's oddily specific... Is there a deep underlying story behind that?

I highly doubt that a trend like that will continue over the next 4.5 years. A lot can happen in 4.5 years. A horrible presidency could happen in only 4 years. *Wink-wink-nudge-nudge*

That's still a thing? :P

Jan 2, 2009 was my 1st tournament. April 10, 2016 was my last streaming session. I know the exact start and end dates ^.^

Due to Youtube not showing channels that users are subscribed to in their own subscription feed, I'll be keeping them as subscribers because they won't even know I've quit Melee. That's the game they subscribed to me for. Before I quit, I'd get only 3%-6% of my subscriber count on my videos. A huge portion of my subscribers are considered burned out

Melee has excellent player retention and cheated player attraction, but those cheats met their limits. Melee has to compete with the growing number of competitors of esports games and they attract new players so much better than Melee. Overwatch is even stealing Melee players. Before August 3rd this year, Melee tournaments used to pull in 50+ entrants at local events like 75% of the time. They haven't reached that number again ever since. The local players are in an exodus

Melee has excellent player retention and cheated player attraction, but those cheats met their limits. Melee has to compete with the growing number of competitors of esports games and they attract new players so much better than Melee. Overwatch is even stealing Melee players. Before August 3rd this year, Melee tournaments used to pull in 50+ entrants at local events like 75% of the time. They haven't reached that number again ever since. The local players are in an exodus

Seriously meant no disrespect. Actually checked out your channel on youtube. It seems you have many fond life memories of being in competitive gaming and I am very happy for you. Was only making a joke.

I enjoyed you sharing your thoughts on fame in general and what it takes to get it/keep it. And whether or not its worth it. Safe to say I play Smash Bros. myself but never competitively. If I were to gauge myself on the official noob scale of Smash Bros. I would be a techless noob which is just above a excessive rolling noob and just under a grabless noob. 

I'm more one that like to delve into art and editing music and videos. I hardily even touch my games that much nowadays.

Most I wanna do is try to make art of my OCs, and maybe one or two fics on the side. But then, I don't have the time nor immediate need to do so, and we got rotten apples within our fanbase :dry: . Hell, so rotten that Big Miller insulted them  :D . Then again, I wouldn't know if I'd feel bad or happy for being insulted by King Sombra  :orly:

Seriously meant no disrespect. Actually checked out your channel on youtube. It seems you have many fond life memories of being in competitive gaming and I am very happy for you. Was only making a joke.

I enjoyed you sharing your thoughts on fame in general and what it takes to get it/keep it. And whether or not its worth it. Safe to say I play Smash Bros. myself but never competitively. If I were to gauge myself on the official noob scale of Smash Bros. I would be a techless noob which is just above a excessive rolling noob and just under a grabless noob. 

I'm more one that like to delve into art and editing music and videos. I hardily even touch my games that much nowadays.

I advertised that video to the Melee community in hopes of 1 more shot at getting new subscribers. IDK how successful it is. Or at least I could get enough Youtube ad money to buy myself an energy drink

The problem about Melee's community is that everything has to be about skill. Casual play/design isn't looked upon well

Games these days are getting more esports focused while still trying to be easy to learn yet not too skill gapped. The conflict in ideologies ruins game design. It's very possible to make an easy to learn game fit for competitive play. Just look at Halo 1. The problem is that publishers need their games to have fancy mechanics so they can advertise them better. Look at Halo again. The game got worse for competitive play as it got more mechanics

The reception of my retirement is fairly mixed. The like% on it is only about 80%, I think, and some are glad I'm gone from the scene. If you do something that the community doesn't like, you will get hated. Some of it is deserved, some of it isn't, but aside from subscribers I won't get, it's not something I care about

Quite the opposite for me... I've spent 3 years trying to claw my way up to where I'am today, and still isn't much. I don't aim to be super famous, just enough to have an audience who appreciates my content... someday. As long as I don't give up my dream will be a reality... I hope...

• Brohoof 1

No. I'm a closet brony and fame can lead to discovery. Bad bad bad. I don't really like too much attention either.

I take steps to ensure that I never do. I create songs, but I always make sure the songs have many different genres so it won't become followed (people generally like consistant, 1 or 3 genre content.) I hardly tag or do promotional event. I also have a contingincy plan to shut down my channel at over 100 subs.

• Brohoof 1

I REALLY don't want to become famous. I've been wanting to start a youtube channel for a while but I haven't done this due to the fear of becomming really popular. I don't want that pressure, I would have to fit that into my already tight schedule and what if you fail? thousands of people are gonna laugh at you or yell at you in the comments. and what if you don't enjoy it anymore, you're gonna dissapoint a lot of people when you quit. 

I have found out that for me it works to help others on their channel while staying anonimous myself. their channel, their popularity but I share in the fame if a video will become popular. 

I also have a contingincy plan to shut down my channel at over 100 subs.

Sub4Sub?

I REALLY don't want to become famous. I've been wanting to start a youtube channel for a while but I haven't done this due to the fear of becomming really popular. 

Bruh the way youtube is right now. You have to do some seriously retarded shit to get a lot of subs quickly on youtube. Trust me. Get a youtube account and have some fun. Create some content. I personally guarantee you that you will not go over 100 subs for a VERY long time.

Agreed, I'm about to live a quiet life and plough softly across the Earth while the Earth is here for me to live in. It doesn't matter how many tides I turn.

So you want to go where the wind takes you playing card games on motorcycles?

I'd love to be! But I mean, I can't really be famous for just a pretty face can I?~ 
I don't have any talents that would make me shine in the brony world. Maybe voice acting, but i'm a busy mare with little time for that.

• Brohoof 1

Really I don't distinguish the difference between being famous and being known. Because Whats the difference?

Famous: People you don't know, know who you are

being known: people you don't know, know who you are

• Brohoof 1

Really I don't distinguish the difference between being famous and being known. Because Whats the difference?

Famous: People you don't know, know who you are

being known: people you don't know, know who you are

Famous: Lots of people like you that you don't even know

Infamous: Lots of people dislike you that you don't even know

Do any of you still want to be horse famous or even youtube famous even with all the drama going around recently?

What drama? Also, yes. It would give me a higher media profile so I can get jobs for my actual goal of becoming a full time writer.

If you had the artistic skill would you want it unlike me?

Not just skill, I have a B.F.A. in creative writing. So maybe it doesn't translate to youtube videos, maybe it does, but yes I'd like to be appreciated for the content I create.

Do you have the artistic skill like me and want horse fame more than I do? 

See above. Although it is certainly a different skill.

Voice your concerns and discuss down below. Alternatively if drama in the fandom is not welcome for discussion on this website. Lock this thread.

You really have a low opinion of your fellow bronies' abilities to be civil, don't you? 

you see the hourse fam bit seems to be a monkys paw, good on the outside but being famous for anything could easily get to your head, because of my love for dance in highschool even today those kids who recognize me come up to me saying "hey flare could you give us a dance"

its died down a lot thankfully as iv moved on but when it comes me becoming horse famous I only see one way I could do it with less drama as possible and that's through writing storys or RP's on here.

also great pmvs I checked your channel out hope you keep up the good work

Edited by cwhip9
  • Brohoof 1

I like to think that horse fame (or fame in any other fandom) is a reward for creating quality content. And I'd like to reach the point where I *deserve* to be famous. Hopefully one day my figurines will be good enough to attract thousands of followers and gain thousands of likes. I'd love to see that my work and effort were appreciated by the community! :D

On the other hand, tho... I suppose once you get famous, everyone tries to get in touch with you and make friends with you... I'm not very active online and I can go for weeks without even checking my facebook. I guess my fans would get offended by my lack of response. I don't want to appear as some sort of a stuck-up asshole, but I don't want to spend too much time online either D:

Famous: Lots of people like you that you don't even know

Infamous: Lots of people dislike you that you don't even know

And many can often be both at the same time. The curse of becoming popular I suppose.

I like to think that horse fame (or fame in any other fandom) is a reward for creating quality content. And I'd like to reach the point where I *deserve* to be famous. Hopefully one day my figurines will be good enough to attract thousands of followers and gain thousands of likes. I'd love to see that my work and effort were appreciated by the community! :D

On the other hand, tho... I suppose once you get famous, everyone tries to get in touch with you and make friends with you... I'm not very active online and I can go for weeks without even checking my facebook. I guess my fans would get offended by my lack of response. I don't want to appear as some sort of a stuck-up asshole, but I don't want to spend too much time online either D:

You work so far is amazing. I really hope to one day see some sort of store open up for your creations. But I think you are spot on there with what you said... when ever someone gains any sort of fame or renown, for whatever reason in whatever they do, you always have those people who will gravitate towards you just to be a part of that without any sort of interest in you as an individual or actual interest in what you are doing or trying to accomplish.

As for me, I have no interest in popularity or being known or discovered in any way. I like things just the way they are for myself as is.

Fame of any kind is not for everyone. If strangers slinging abuse at you and trying to spread gossip about you or whatever else is daunting then it will not be a pleasant experience. For me it is worth it for the attention and potential admiration which is the flip side. Of course I don't yet have a relatively sizable audience for anything I have done but I'm familiar with hateful/abusive comments and so on (one YouTube user even made whole video insulting me). For the most part I have grown not to care. It helps knowing that most of these people will never know me personally and if it's my pony alias they probably don't even know my real life identity.