Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things that you LIKE about your country?

zerox

Hey, California has some cool stuff, too.

sig-4735808.299752.jpg

Lassen Volcanic National Park

sig-4735808.banner-1.jpg

Lake Tahoe

sig-4735808.muir-woods-and-sausalito-tou

Muir Woods

California has a lot of national parks, possibly the most in a single state, and it is incredibly diverse in...ecology. Thank the Sierra Club for their efforts in preserving all that many decades ago.

sorry for the small sizes also i cant get spoiler tag to work 

the area where i camp/hunt/fish/hike

post-39054-0-54665000-1481625279_thumb.jpg

post-39054-0-76313700-1481624921_thumb.jpg

post-39054-0-45291500-1481624931_thumb.jpg

post-39054-0-52586100-1481624935_thumb.jpg

post-39054-0-17735900-1481625560_thumb.jpg

some random desert pic

post-39054-0-98998300-1481624939_thumb.jpg

worlds oldest rain forest (including the Amazon) 

post-39054-0-70801300-1481624948_thumb.jpg

mountain

post-39054-0-20053300-1481624968_thumb.jpg

great barrier reef island

post-39054-0-22703000-1481624952_thumb.jpg

some giant rock Tourists pay a lot of money to come see

post-39054-0-96052300-1481624975_thumb.jpg 

post-39054-0-20693200-1481625689_thumb.jpg

i have such a great love my country but not like... the people or the government but the land itself i cant explain the feeling 

I have a mixed heritage even if I'm Caucasian actually.

Anyhow I like Western Europe. We invented and achieved pretty much everything and we're more important than everyone else because I say so. B)

Until you realize a fair amount of their inventions are thanks to the Arabics and Chinese.  :orly:

Gunpowder and printing may very well have changed the history of Europe as a whole. 

I like the concept of America... Even though the way it is executed is subpar. At least it's not China or Russia or Belarus. In Belarus, the government is STILL a dictatorship...

American cuisine is divine. Heck, if it wouldn't adversely affect my health, I would want a bacon cheeseburger at least once every two or three days, with some good old steak fries.

Other than that.. I can't say too much really. Too many idiots in this country (You know what would help that? I shouldn't need to say the answer because of how absurdly obvious the answer is...) and the bigotry that's surprisingly common... for the first democratic republic EVER CREATED. Also, our infrastructure is quite iffy. I mean as in some bridges haven't had maintenance since the 50's...  More pressing than flat screen TVs in prisons or than outspending every other military at least threefold, with no necessity at all  to do either? Wow the way the American budget is spent is so nonsensical... It is true I can say this, but that already fits into the first of the only 2 good things I can think of right now. Probably because of Trump winning the election, I can't really see the positives anymore. Really wouldn't be able to see any if we got bombed over an insult to his appearance, or something stupid like that. Has a decent chance of occurring.

Just thinking about the problems here makes me want to move to Canada, or Norway, or somewhere like that.

• 1 year later...

Things I like about the U.S.:

• Free Speech
  • The Right to keep and bear arms
  • Electoral College
  • Business friendly economy
  • Food
  • Dark skies, especially out west
  • Folks are just friendly, especially in the south

I may not enjoy the backwards politics and cutthroat race to survive here, but I will never let anyone say the US isn’t a beautiful place

Spoiler

CCFB8A2F-5CE8-40B5-AE08-ADB718D20A68.thumb.jpeg.d5e6afddbe52c92bbefae948748bb6df.jpegDC823AC8-D367-4FCD-8622-A799E4A40069.thumb.jpeg.fa298a08d970a32a2a136a8824cce0f2.jpegB82BB398-4CBF-4A94-AC9B-5D6FB0E1543C.thumb.jpeg.1d29a072634d45948538bbab4e626e68.jpegE45D59DC-ECA5-4759-8979-08377D7B3EF9.thumb.jpeg.771f39c44bbc5295c87311f3ca36cc00.jpeg

0679D849-4C2B-4B35-AC21-A9E5386C65C6.jpeg

(Taken by a friend and I during our cross-country road trip)

Edited by Arkadios

• The Bill of Rights. Although it keeps getting f***ed with by liberals and conservatives alike who only "care" when it represents THEIR agenda... :dry: 
  • Some of the scenic places, most especially my native Washington State! :wub: 
  • American cuisine. I don't think life would be the same without a good burger... :( 
  • The accessibility of consumer goods. Even if a majority of the companies that produce them and run the stores are shady at best... :glimmer:

Otherwise, I'm not really seeing it. This place although probably among the best countries in the world, is FAR from paradise. It has plenty and I mean PLENTY of flaws. Those include the dominance that the alt-right and the fake left have on politics here (even if the most popular politician in the country is neither), the HORRENDOUS foreign policy, and our lack of actual healthcare that WORKS. Not to mention the corruption, the fact we don't actually have half of the rights listed in the aforementioned Bill of Rights, the rude and arrogant people (yes, Europeans are right about that!), and the air of fascism that blankets our country like a cloud of radioactive fallout... F*** me there's so much wrong with this country, and considering that I rank it around the 20th best country to live in, that's a shame.

Edited by King Kremling

Things I like about my country? 

Our scenery! The Lake District is a stunning area for views!

image.png.ed47e6e5f698e0b7ad338c65bbef16c1.png

The North as a whole! Being a Lancashire lad through and through I'm naturally proud of the north plus I always found it to be much more pleasant up here!

I am from Poland - Kraków

Kraków is a beautifull city, but unfortunately dirty.

Our history is very intresting, full of victories, and defeats.

I love our mountains - Tatry.

On 11/14/2016 at 11:25 PM, Barpy said:

Most czechs are honest, not bullies, friendly when compared to for example Polen

Hahahaha!

Did you mean Poles? Yea, maybe you are right :). Seriously, we are a specific nation. :) Maybe too specific :D

And we are not the best in foreign languages, this is probably visble on me :)

• 11 months later...

One of the main things I like about the USA is the Bill of Rights, it's very great to have those freedoms. I also like the type of government, I think it is provides a good balance of freedom and order. Another thing I like are the landmarks in the USA like The Statue of Liberty, The Washington Monument, and The Niagara Falls. I haven't been to those, but I'd love to see them sometime or another.

Alright, let me give this another crack three whole years after that disastrous election sapped away my faith in the country:

USA:

• I like that as I noted in my first post, it's not a third world country.
  • I like that the country is diverse climate-wise. If it were all tropical like Florida it would be miserable. Some portions of the country have four seasons proper, which is nice. Wish I lived in one of those portions... But at least I don't live in Florida. lol
  • As I noted in my first post, we have some nice musical traditions, including jazz.
  • I like that we're supposed to have a separation of church and state. Sadly, it doesn't really matter if our government is corrupt and ignores it anyway.

But yeah, sorry, not feeling it for the USA anymore. I grew up thinking it was a great country. I grew up very sheltered. We could be better. We should be better.

Let me give a slightly renewed (and also more negative) take on it.

I live in the US.

• Pretty much everything I said in the first post. I like the concept if the Bill of Rights (even if its execution has left a LOT to be desired, considering it keeps getting stomped on), the cuisine (yes, I love my burgers, my fries, and everything else), there's some good scenic places.

That's it... 

Edited by Ayyngel Dust

There is many things to like about my country, but the main thing I will always regard as the best thing is our main law "Allemansrätten", quickly translated to "Everyone's Right", or more officially translated to "Freedom to roam":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

It gives me the right, as a person, to walk in the nature, anywhere, even on other people's properties, without having to pay for it. If you ever find one of those "No Trespassing" signs here, you just laugh and walk in anyways. And since our law forbids weapons, like guns, you can't be shot either. There is no threat, there is no need to be scared.

It opens the world, and makes you wanna explore more! Kinda like how Internet allows you to do whatever you want, basically. It is that kind of freedom! :mlp_yeehaa:And it helps with your Pokemon Go (joke I don't play that)

Edited by Splashee
  • Brohoof 1