Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Class-Based Games: What class do you play as?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

I tend to really enjoy class based games if they are done well. Having different types of playstyles to choose from is always really cool and I love having the option to support my team rather going for combat. 

So with so many games like this out there, we can ask the question: When it comes to class-based games, what class do you usually go for? 

Me, I tend to go for a Medic class. As I said above, I love supporting my team rather than focusing strictly on combat, so being able to heal people and keep them going is a cool feeling.

• Brohoof 1

Assassin/rogue like classes, there are some exceptions to this rule of course. My first Dragon age character was a warrior since everybody played a rogue elf and I wanted to be a little different. For the most part though it would be assassin or something that could fall into that category. I find I am skilled in the stealth and burst game play, great attack power but low constitution, were I have to get in and out quickly and select targets strategically.

When I play shooters I am always a sniper, which is probably as close to assassin as you get in shooters since the idea is to kill them before they know you are there. I have pretty good video game accuracy.

Fast classes, high skill classes, meta classes, easy classes, fun classes, weird classes, a class that supports the group better, the class I have most experience with, aesthetic classes, stoic classes that are not knights, optimal classes, a variety of classes, difficult to use classes, and finally classes with abilities I would prefer to imagine I have.

Edited by Lil Pip

Well In Final Fantasy XI, I prefer to play as Summoner / White mage as a all time main job since that's my main job class. Usually Samurai Is what i can play as since I have the empyrean great katana, Masamune. Other Job classes, Well I normally play as White, Red, and Black Mages, Scholar, Dancer, Beastmaster, Paladin, and Dragoon, but in terms of the endgame contents and runs, It's job dependant. As of Limbus goes, I normally solo SE apollyon as Summoner, but completing the run may vary by my summoning avatar's physical accuracy and attack. Abyssea, It's mostly that I can solo some notorious monsters as Summoner with the right atmas and enough distance to re-summon the avatar. Dynamis, It may vary by jobs I play as, but when it comes to dynamis lord V2, I just go as Summoner as needed. For solo farms, It's just beastmaster, but items and currency I get may vary by proc and in-game time frames in dynamis qufim, valk, tavnazia, and buburimu. For Battlefield fights such as BCNM, KSNM, ENMs, and missions, I normally stick to what job class that I can do better at such as summoner, but it may depend on the battlefield I'm fighting at and what place. Voidwatch, Well I Just normally stick to what people need the most. Salvage, Well If it's a low man party run, I just go as Samurai / Dancer. Assaults, Well It may vary by missions, objectives, the job class I have leveled, and the situation.

For Maple Story, I Prefer mage class only since they're good and have high damage. I normally Level other characters for the character card ranks and Link Skills.

Overall, It's most likely that I prefer mage and melee classes depending on how good they are, but for Final Fantasy XI, I just play the job classes for fun and reduce inventory space.

I tend to always go Warrior, Strength is my favorite stat skill and I enjoy close melee. Dragon Age is the only exception where I play exclusively as a Mage due to the interesting lore about them. I get too impatient for classes that depend on being sneaky.

Edited by Sgamer

I love going for simple, high-dps types of classes or go for ones that can take tons of punishment and deal it back, so I would typically be a fighter, brezerker or tank in games where you choose a class, although I am willing to explore other playstyles and experiment with other class types. Basically, I'm kind of an all rounder that would usually specialize in CQC unless I'm told to do otherwise, ie if someone wants me to be a support, I'll be support, etc.

I'm not much of a meleer. But when I do, its an outright berserker! Just keep crafting or upgrading until I have an axe large enough to the point its really quite clear I can't lift that behemoth without magical aid!

Typically though I'm more back lines ranged magic damage. My level of comfort is directly proportional to the distance I have between the actual battle! Be it sculpted bolts of shadow arcing around my compatriots in front of me to curve back around to strike the enemy, or summoning minions of the elements or demonical pacts sworn to do what the magical contract explicitly stated: Keep it OFF of me! Haven't had much experience playing the healer, but I do see myself more as a support role, putting up shields of protection or erstwhile trying my best to staunch wounds.

I have tried being the tank, the main damage sponge and protector of the rest of the group, but that takes a lot of responsibility. If anything goes wrong its immediately on your head! I may be able to take a blow, but I can't take the blame!

In general, I'm a helper. I need some sort of showy spell or a vast array of buffs. I can do a lot, in many different ways, but just so long as I'm not the first punch thown in a fight. Basically, I'm the druid! The shapeshifter, the caretaker, the jack of all trades, master of none!

Despite not playing these kinds of games more often than I should, I have played several to allow me to answer this question. I prefer a warrior because of being able to rely on physical strength to overcome most things that get in my way. I wouldn't be a pure warrior thought as I would be capable of casting a few basic magic spells.

Generally, I prefer take hold of summoning roles.  My favorite being the Necromancer because raising the dead = ❤. Regular summoners of beasts are just as well though.  Unfortunately, these happen to be a rarer find in video games these days.

That being said, If I had to take a more physical role, I'd definitely prefer a strong, tanking and/or high HP type: Paladin, Knight, Templar, etc.  I'll occasionally go for the support role, only if my partner is playing with me, and only then.

I usually play mages because of the less linear approach to building them according to what the party needs in terms of defensive or support roles. They've got ranged, healing, and area-of-effect spells and combining them in many ways keeps them interesting. If it is possible to play characters who don't start out as mages but gain the ability to use spells as they progress in levels, I give those classes a try.  

In D&D I abuse monk class, because of how ridiculously OP it is when compared to other classes who don't try multiclassing thing. Armor bonus caused by wisdom + dexterity, monk only items that additionally boost his defense and damage, 3 strikes per round with no penalty to hit on certain level, ability to knock enemy down, kill him in one strike or cure himself out of the blue, immunity to lots of negative effects... it is just ridiculous. 

So basically I go for classes that rely on many, fast strikes and in general I avoid heavy armor (maybe except for Skyrim). 

• 3 weeks later...

Generally, I default to the more support oriented classes. Fulfills both my need for the unorthodox and my need to be a team player. So that means healers and medics mostly; generally not as popular, but somebody's got to do it and I actually like being that somebody.

I also have a thing for the "heavy armor" kinda look/feel too, so toss in some of the more tanky roles in games too.

Heh, I'm old. When I saw this topic I thought it was going to be about tabletop RPGs. *sigh* :derp:

It depends on whether I'm playing team, or solo. On a team, I tend towards the support type, dealing out boosts and healings. Solo I tend towards the striker, getting in and hitting hard, then trying to get back out before getting hit myself. Which rarely works because I honestly suck at it. Which is one of several reasons I don't play that kind of game much.  :muffins:

Healer most of the time. In TF2 I'd play the Medic, in Project Reality I play medic, in Battlefield I play medic. In Overwatch I pretty much only play Ana, I'll only DPS or tank if we need such a class. I dread playing as tank though, I hate the clunkiness of it, so I'll mainly stick to Ana and Tracer/Pharah. I prefer keeping teammates alive rather than trying to get POTG.

Edited by Tracer

I try to play some sort of sniper/assassin class most of the time. Feels like the best fit for me.

Borderlands- I always play as Mordecai and max out the first tree by Lv45 or so.

When I played Borderlands 2 (short time): I ran Zer0. Never made it past W4RD3N. I only had fire and corrosive weapons at the time. Sucked.

TF2- Sniper, of course. But I also will play Demoman, Pyro, or Scout if need be. Also trying out Spy.

When I used to play LoL: Mostly Marksmen, assassins, and mages. Though I was flexible.

When I used to play DotA2: I focused on ranged agility heroes. I mained Sniper. 

When I played Battlefield 4(not a long time): I would go Recon, but I would switch to Assault if need be.

Edited by TwillyFSniper

Support where they actually make a difference.  Healer where they aren't glass cannons outside a party.  Tanks where they aren't nerfed in dps so much that fights become a virtual stalemate. 

If I am playing DPS it means the game has very serious issues with their classes.

I usually like being the ranged glass cannon mage. You get flashy spells and can do a lot of damage while staying behind the tanks. Plus, you sometimes get a lot of really cool utilities too to help out the group.

Im usually not a fan of melee because it's just not as fun swinging an axe at something as hurling giant fireballs is. Plus, I dont want to be pinned with the sponge role; I prefer seeing lots of big numbers spewing put of my enemy, not me.

Why Druids of course

The_Mystery_of_the_Druids_Coverart.jpg

Who doesn't want to play a shape-changing, animal summoning, lightning-throwing mad priest who commands the very elements themselves.  Other class favorites include wizards, D'Va and Pharah from Overwatch, and whatever the heck Abathur from Heroes of the Storm is supposed to be

abathur-evolution-master-skin.jpg  

Abathur:  making Heroes of the Storm the best MOBA since 2015 :) !

In D&D I abuse monk class, because of how ridiculously OP it is when compared to other classes who don't try multiclassing thing. Armor bonus caused by wisdom + dexterity, monk only items that additionally boost his defense and damage, 3 strikes per round with no penalty to hit on certain level, ability to knock enemy down, kill him in one strike or cure himself out of the blue, immunity to lots of negative effects... it is just ridiculous. 

Actually Monks are generally considered under powered, especially in D&D 3.5.  Of course this is from somebody who enjoys playing druids in D&D, so your mileage may vary.

Edited by Twilight Dirac