Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Season 6 really that bad?

St3venp

Bad? Bad? Bad? Bad? Bad? Can one truly convince another of such negative quality? Does one need to for that thing to have either a negative or positive effect on itself?

MLP is arguably the biggest girl brand in H-Bro’s arsenal that needs to evolve in order to reliably compete on this shifting market of ours. The question that needs to be asked is: has S06 achieved a positive effect on Pony profits? Has it lit the fire in the hearts of our target consumers? How many toys have actually been produced with S06 stories in mind?

Now, I cannot yet sufficiently answer those questions even though my position on the taken paths in latest seasons has been openly negative and that shall likely remain so until this February. The world is moving on. Is an H-Bro girl brand ready to get on a boy brand level? At the end of all things, either way is fine if you specialize the build as it were.

Its funny, pretty much NOTHING from season 6, after the Initial premier, was there to push the toys; GOH and the minis are the big thing seemingly being pushed this christmas (based on the shelves at the toy stores at least), and apart from chryss in the finale, there's really no overlap there. The only "Explore equestria" tie in that I can think of was the swan boat, which was a LONG time ago.

Hell, EQG toys for that matter aren't really LOE either: i can't find the LOE toys ANYWHERE, yet the shelves are loaded with minis and more minis.

to say nothing of the lack of Starlight toys.

Oh c'mon now, Twilight really cemented her role as a princess in s6. She's starting to become like Celestia, now that's character progression. 

You say that as if it's a good thing.

• Brohoof 1

I mean, ideally it should be a good thing, as Faust planned on Twilight being Celly's successor

In hindsight though, with how much the writers fucked over Celestia, and with how S6 fucked over Twilight, yeah that's a pretty bad fate

• Brohoof 2

I think that's because you are not looking hard enough.  

every single episode has a poll, and they are overwhelmingly positive for this season.

The majority liked it.  

Yeah, there are some opponents with legitimate gripes, but its unfair to say "mixed reviews" when the majority thinks each individual episode was between good and great.

Keep in mind that this "majority" of which you speak is a majority of:

(1) members of MLP Forums

(2) who look at the individual episode topics (and thus see the episode topic polls),

(3) who form sufficiently strong opinions about the episodes,

(4) who are able to and are comfortable with converting those opinions to a 1-5 integer scale, and

(5) who are sufficiently motivated to actually vote in the episode topic polls.

That's a lot of qualifiers, so I would be careful about drawing general conclusions on the basis of those episode topic polls. I don't think it's at all obvious that the results of those episode topic polls can be considered representative of MLP viewers in general, or even necessarily the total membership of MLP Forums. For example, I've never voted in the episode topic polls (despite posting in the episode topics and seeing the polls there), and I probably wouldn't consider the results of those polls to represent my views.

And that's besides the fact that people could still be voting that they "like" or "love" individual Season 6 episodes while not necessarily liking Season 6 as a whole, especially in comparison to other seasons.

Keep in mind...

Fair enough.

But is there a better source than that poll?

Something that is more useful for gauging the reaction?

I'm just curious if there could be evidence that the majority disliked the season.

Fair enough.

But is there a better source than that poll?

Something that is more useful for gauging the reaction?

I'm just curious if there could be evidence that the majority disliked the season.

When you say you're looking for "evidence that the majority disliked the season", I would ask "the majority of whom?". If the answer is "the majority of MLP viewers in general", then there just might not be reliable evidence of their opinions. MLP viewers are scattered far and wide, and it's probably not possible to know all of their opinions, or even how many of them do or don't make their opinions known - by, for example, posting or voting in polls on MLP fan sites like MLP Forums, Equestria Daily, etc. I have siblings who watch the show and have opinions on it, but who don't regularly visit MLP sites or participate in them at all. There was a time when I was watching MLP episodes in isolation without even being aware that sites like MLP Forums or Equestria Daily existed.

With this in mind, I basically accept that I don't know of any reliable MLP viewer-wide statistics, and that the opinions that I do see on the MLP sites I visit are probably those of a particularly motivated subset of MLP fans, and hence NOT necessarily representative of the (at least partially silent) general MLP fanbase. But then, I also haven't really had much reason to want such statistics in the first place. So I guess my short answer is "I don't know".

lol.

So sad, she was so much more important in season 1. It sucks that she hasn't gotten ONE episode yet.

I dunno, after her mixed and frequently boring treatment in recent seasons, I'm kinda okay with her having less screentime.

I mean, ideally it should be a good thing, as Faust planned on Twilight being Celly's successor

That's nice and all, but everything which has set me against the idea since season 3 wouldn't be any less aggravating if I could blame Faust for it.

Its funny, pretty much NOTHING from season 6, after the Initial premier, was there to push the toys; GOH and the minis are the big thing seemingly being pushed this christmas (based on the shelves at the toy stores at least), and apart from chryss in the finale, there's really no overlap there. The only "Explore equestria" tie in that I can think of was the swan boat, which was a LONG time ago.

Hell, EQG toys for that matter aren't really LOE either: i can't find the LOE toys ANYWHERE, yet the shelves are loaded with minis and more minis.

to say nothing of the lack of Starlight toys.

Guess Santa’s gonna be hauling minis and action pones this year. I’m still waiting so that we don’t get some surprise, but the “Glimmer” seasons have been throwaways from toy perspective. It looks like they are in transition. Now I don’t know what this transition is (GoH? Movie toys?), but it doesn’t seem to involve the current FIM narrative since H-Bro is known for getting out show-related merchandise well before a season’s finale.

And then Glimmer fans be like: my waifu is great because H-Bro shares are going up. Bucking brilliant :P

I love this fandom and this is worrying to me that people are trashing season 6 without a legitimate reason for doing so. "it was mostly filler"? So was every other season. It hasn't changed. It's been mostly filler with some story worked in. So why do you hate season 6? I honestly can't understand.

I think the people that didn't like season 6 have unrealistic expectations. MLP, at it's best, is high quality individual episodes. WHICH IT HAD. The episode quality is better than previous seasons. Even the people complaining agree that season 6 has quality episodes. 

This isn't game of thrones. Longterm storyarcs are not the most important thing. its an episodic based show, and it always has been. It didn't suddenly go from huge anime style storyarcs to individual episodes. MLP has always had very slow progression with the focus being on individual episodes. I don't understand these people complaining about longterm story progression. Did they watch the previous seasons? If you want big story arcs look at fanfiction and such, the show itself has never had them, and I don't expect it to.

Earlier there was a complaint saying something like 'they didn't accomplish anything'. They aren't the superfriends or the justice league. what do you expect? It is truly baffling to me what these people want. they say s5 had no progression, but it did(cutie marks, flurry being born, starlight glimmer joining mane 6). The level of story progression across each season hasn't even changed really. I haven't finished season 6 yet, but I have enjoyed it more than any other season so far, and im not just saying that to spite the people that don't like it, im being honest.

Edited by trademark2

• 2 weeks later...

TBH, after watching through the rest of the season with a more casual viewing eye, I feel the worst thing season six did was just kind of be par for the course. After thinking about a lot of the episodes, a lot of are sort of just typical episodes that don't really sway me positive or negative. I mean, it has gems (Saddle Row Review, Hearth's Warming Tale, Times they are a Changeling) and it has stinkers (Newbie Dash, 28 Pranks Later). But to me, most of the other episodes aren't that good or that bad, sort of just safe. It's what happens when there is a leak of new writers. Some don't know the characters or tone as well, and some only halfway get it. Or it could be the unfortunate result of going on for so many seasons.

Again, not bad, just kind of a step down. 

• Brohoof 1

In my personal opinion, yes, S6 was the worst of all seasons. There was a lot of episodes I don't like and this season includes my number one hate episode Applejack's Day off. I am also not so happy with some character developments. As for example, AJ had some bad episodes where she acts really stupid and bad. I like AJ and I am sad about it. I mean, it was not everything bad on S6. We had a lot of new interesting characters (I am really happy that we finally have seen Fluttershy family now), new amazing designs and good songs, but that is everything what I like on S6. I only have a few episodes which I really like (No Second Prances is my favorite). Overall I am not satisfied with S6. 

Im surprised people don't like 28 pranks later, it was one of my favorite. Maybe its only good if you watched 28 days later? 

I am not so a fan of this episode. I mean, the Zombie Theme was really nice and the scene where the Pony is seen in the window behind RD was really amazing, but I don't like how RD acts in this episode. Some of her pranks wasn't funny but dangerous and painful and she has to accept when others don't like the pranks. And I guess that is the reason why so many don't like this episode. 

Im surprised people don't like 28 pranks later, it was one of my favorite. Maybe its only good if you watched 28 days later? 

The first thing everyone thought when the synopsis was first revealed was that it was a retread of MMDW, one of the show's most infamous episodes, and when it aired it confirmed everyone's suspicions. It also heavily relies on the outright bastardization of RD's character for the episode to go anywhere and transparently justify the revenge prank(AKA, the writers write her worse so they can justify shitting on her) and only exists so the writers could dick ride the zombie hype train

Edited by Reinbow Dash
  • Brohoof 3

Season 6 is a perfect example of a 'Love-Hate' season for me. It has some of the strongest episodes in the entire series for me, such as Saddle Row Review, Gauntlet of Fire and the Times They Are A Changeling. The episodes that shine, shine really bright. Then the hate part comes from some of the worst episode in the entire series. Flutter Brutter and my least favorite episode in the entire show, Newbie Dash. Then there are episodes that were simply disappointments for me, like Cart Before the Ponies, Dungeons and Discord, and 28 Pranks Later. I don't think this season is the sign of 'how horrible the show is now' like some proclaim because this season has some absolute winners, but I also cannot deny that the episodes that fall flat, fall hard.

• Brohoof 1

Season 6 is a perfect example of a 'Love-Hate' season for me. It has some of the strongest episodes in the entire series for me, such as Saddle Row Review, Gauntlet of Fire and the Times They Are A Changeling. The episodes that shine, shine really bright. Then the hate part comes from some of the worst episode in the entire series. Flutter Brutter and my least favorite episode in the entire show, Newbie Dash. Then there are episodes that were simply disappointments for me, like Cart Before the Ponies, Dungeons and Discord, and 28 Pranks Later. I don't think this season is the sign of 'how horrible the show is now' like some proclaim because this season has some absolute winners, but I also cannot deny that the episodes that fall flat, fall hard.

how is flutter butter one of the worst episodes!? its one of the best! who doesn't know someone like zephyr, and that song?? how can you say its the worst?

The first thing everyone thought when the synopsis was first revealed was that it was a retread of MMDW, one of the show's most infamous episodes, and when it aired it confirmed everyone's suspicions. It also heavily relies on the outright bastardization of RD's character for the episode to go anywhere and transparently justify the revenge prank(AKA, the writers write her worse so they can justify shitting on her) and only exists so the writers could dick ride the zombie hype train

I don't know what that acronym means i just became a brony like a month ago lol. but Its totally in rainbow dash's character to be a prankster. she is the mischievious type.  

well i do think season 7 will be better than 6 though

Edited by trademark2

how is flutter butter one of the worst episodes!? its one of the best! who doesn't know someone like zephyr, and that song?? how can you say its the worst?

Its totally in rainbow dash' character to be a prankster. she is the mischievious types.  I don't know what that acronym means i just became a brony like a month ago lol. 

well i do think season 7 will be better than 6 though

Oh, that's easy. Zephyr is an outright travesty of a character. With him, they were using a tactic that can work, the whole 'this character is bad but it makes us root for him in the end' but good god did that backfire. Instead, they made him into a character that I outright hated because of how intolerable he was and by the end of it, I could not care less about him achieving anything. Not too mention the episode kinda flaunts a stereotype that if you live with your parents into adulthood, then you are a good-for-nothing freeloader, which I hate that notion with a passion.

The episode is not all bad, because I loved the parents and was so very happy to see them, but the bad in this episode for me is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally bad.

Even as someone who loves the episode...Zephyr is one of the worst. He spends the entire episode being an unlikable, lazy shit, putting absolutely no work or effort to anything he's tasked to do...only suddenly shit out a huge sob story about how he's in his's world saving sister's shadow, and suddenly the episode wants us to feel sorry for him and root for him. Two problems with this

1) They did this before(much better in fact) with Big Mac last season

2) If he tried and failed constantly that'd be one thing. But he doesn't, he just decided to be a prick and doesn't even try

It's a shame because everything else in the episode is damn near perfect. But Zephyr himself is a huge make-or-break factor for many people for the episode

I don't know what that acronym means i just became a brony like a month ago lol. but Its totally in rainbow dash's character to be a prankster. she is the mischievious type.  

Except the fucking opening flat out denies that anything happened before for all the characters involved. RD was gonna prank Fluttershy with something harmless as squirting water in her face, then Pinkie Pie stops her and she agrees.

That was back in the 5th episode of season 1

"BUT MEGAS, SHE ONLY DID THAT BECAUSE PINKIE STOPPED HER!"

And even then we've seen that's she's become more considerate of Flutter's feelings and has been a close friend for her, need I remind you about Hurricane Fluttershy and Keep Calm and Flutter On...all of which aired two seasons before as well as it was after fucking Flutter Brutter...in the same fucking season. The prank she did in the opening was worse than any prank she's done in the series and the worst opening since Newbie Dash(which didn't air too long before...ugh)

It both comes off as a really cheap and transparent way to justify punishing her(in an attempt to "fix" the problem in MMDW was to write her worse and having her blow everyone off...and they failed miserably because people saw through it from a 100ft radius) and seriously comes off as the writers punishing people who like her("Oh, you like this character? *Airs 28PL* WELL HOW ABOUT NOW?!"), as if it wasn't bad enough with them airing fucking Newbie Dash not to long before

Fucking hell, I'm really worked up again

Edited by Reinbow Dash
  • Brohoof 3

And even then we've seen that's she's become more considerate of Flutter's feelings and has been a close friend for her, need I remind you about Hurricane Fluttershy and Keep Calm and Flutter On...all of which aired two seasons before as well as it was after fucking Flutter Brutter...in the same fucking season. The prank she did in the opening was worse than any prank she's done in the series and the worst opening since Newbie Dash(which didn't air too long before...ugh)

I actually liked 28 Pranks Later, quite a bit actually... It was one of my favorite episodes of the seasons... but I pretty much agree with a lot of the above and especially this part. ^

As close as RD and Flutters have become, it was beyond low and totally out of character for her to "prank" flutters in this way. Everyone knows RD is a prankster, and it is not like there was an episode where she promised to give it up and quit... so I was OK with the idea of her going on a pranking spree. But as Applejack stated scaring Fluttershy is just lazy... and not really a prank at all. If someone is terrified of snakes, throwing them in a pit of snakes is not a prank, it is just cruel and mean spirited.. and that is all that was.. something that RD is not.

The rest of the pranks varied... some of them were creative and funny as hell, a couple were again, mean spirited and out of character... what I did like though is the whole town coming together to get her back and pull off the whole zombie gag in a way that would be convincing to her, even if we all saw it coming from miles away. A lot of people have asked about zombies in Equestria, so I saw this is a way of addressing them without actually using the real thing. I do think RD is horribly out of character in several parts of the episode, but the second part of it makes up for that in my opinion.

I didn't hate season 6. I actually really liked the first half. My problem lies more than with the second half. I still liked it, but it just felt weaker than older episodes. I still plan on watching season 7 and currently have no plans on quitting the show. Hopefully, it can bounce back.