Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Season 6 really that bad?

St3venp

I have heard from hundreds of people that season 6 was bad that they just couldn't watch it anymore and they want to quit either after the movie unless s7 proves something or that they wouldn't even watch season 7. I realize that season 6 was not as good as the seasons before and i am aware that the new writers put less care into the characters, but honestly, i enjoyed it, wasnt bad to the point where i just wanna quit. SEason 6 had some really good and strong episodes. 

I agree. Besides, if you compare this hearth's warming episode to the first one there are more songs and animations.

I think what people actually miss is Twilight's letters, and all the Faust fans disliked her being let go, then season 3 ruined it for some people. *shrugs*

• Brohoof 1

I've already given my thoughts on S6, but to keep it simple, while there were a few good moments/episodes, it isn't exactly making me excited for S7, which is a first for any season in this show

• Brohoof 1

I've already given my thoughts on S6, but to keep it simple, while there were a few good moments/episodes, it isn't exactly making me excited for S7, which is a first for any season in this show

Human perception is quite easily biased. I try to look into external more objective factors.

From what I noticed, a decent amount of the people who said they hate season 6 were people who hated Starlight(or specifically, Starlight's reformation). Which, based on what I noticed, most of the hate geared towards Starlight was coming from Sunset fans who were upset that Sunset wasn't in the main series. I'm sure there are other reasons why people didn't like season 6, but that seemed to be the most common reason I saw people citing why. I personally enjoyed it (my profile picture is even a character introduced in season 6) as much if not more than the other seasons.

I've resisted to watch the series again (I don't watch MLP actively) because of the negative reaction to S6. I just thought maybe the show is on it's way out.

If some people like it though, I may as well watch it again! Thanks guys!

That's like the season 3 drama, and both seasons have been highly experimental. Some people are gonna like it, some are gonna hate it, there's still plenty of people who consider this season one of the best or at least as good as the others.

Edited by Baykush
  • Brohoof 1

I actually stopped watching when s6 started. Deleted everything pony related from my iPod except a music app I thought probably wouldn't be on the App Store if I decided to come back. Haven't watched an episode in a long time. Started rewatching season 1 yesterday and I'm hoping to catch up quickly. I didn't think the new season was that good and I lost all interest. Recently decided I needed to give it another chance and now here I am!

I've resisted to watch the series again (I don't watch MLP actively) because of the negative reaction to S6. I just thought maybe the show is on it's way out.

If some people like it though, I may as well watch it again! Thanks guys!

You really need people's permission to watch whatever you want? There are not some people like season 6, there are many of them, but negatives usually get loudest voices. Screw the drama, watch it and decide it for yourself.

• Brohoof 3

I personally found nothing wrong with season six although I will admit that there were a few bad episodes that either shouldn't have been given the green light, or needed some revising before they were released to the general public. I think a lot of people look down on this season because of Starlight becoming a central character to several stories especially the finale, and they feel she should have been made to atone for her crimes instead of being let off.

Some might be upset because Starlight has practically become Sunset Shimmer 2.0 and feel the latter should be the one being there instead of the former. Me? I personally don't agree with this logic.

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, there wasn't anything bad about season 6 because the previous seasons generally has some less than stellar episodes too. Season 6 is enjoyable as a whole and I'm just glad that the show is still around.

I liked most of season 6 myself,  and yah it had its bad eps some fans didn't like but that happens  in shows and in any fandom.   It would seem a lot of fans do not like Starlight,  while others kinda stand her or have welcomed her (i love her) but she does bring in a different taste to show in bad or good light depending on the watcher.

Season 6 seemed very fillerish, and had some real stinkers in it, and a very bad "feeling" to alot of its episodes (Pony point of view and Applejack's day off, in addition to being mediocre, gave off a VERY sugar bowlish feel to them that was reminiscent of G3 during the endings).

So while I can go in and pick out the good episodes, it really doesn't make me excited for the future, and doesn't give me much assurance that good episodes will come down the line: the fact that they absolutely FLUBBED the climax to RD's Wonderbolt story for example, giving it to a random Newbie writer with little experience is a prime example of why I feel worried.

As a second thing, there hasn't been a very exciting or motivating meta-arc or plot for the past 2 seasons: they've basically just been "Hey, starlight showed up and she's this new evil unicorn that returns but then turns good!" for the entireity of the season's meta-arcs, and I really don't give a crap about starlight.
By contrast, despite being mediocre, LOE had a VERY good stinger for its ending and has me excited for the future of EQG, while despite Where and back again part 2 being good, I'm not excited in the least for what's to come.

• Brohoof 2

Eh,it's another Season 3. It has it's high marks (Saddle Row Review, Gauntlet of Fire among others) but it feels very much like a season where they're just spinning their wheels, or coasting, like the writers are just going through the motions, there doesn't seem to be as much passion behind it like Season 5 had. It doesn't help that they also decided on trying to push Starlight at the detriment of the Mane 6. I mean a brand new character that comes in, has an entire arc to her and gets to save the day? Fuck only Twilight's ever gotten that and the Remane 5 can't because why?

And the finale also leaves things on a sour note. Instead of having the Mane cast be involved or have anything to do at all, they get shoved into a corner to focus on the Creator's Pet, Seth Fan Pandering, Dues Ex Machina and Q. Sorry but even with the lack of excitement many of the season 6 episodes had, the finale would have still been rather bad. 

• Brohoof 3

I don't have a season I hate. Just episodes. The only ones I hated in this episode were Newbie Dash and Saddle Row Review. I absolutely love are The Times They Are A Changeling, Dungeon & Discords (I don't even play the real game), and the finale! x3

I really liked season 6! It really brought so much potential to the side-characters! The side-characters pretty much had the spotlight this season, and if you're an uber Spike fan like me, of course you'd find this season really good!

Not by a long shot. I'd say it was a weaker season than Season 5, but I'd still rank it above Season 1 and Season 3. I think a lot of the blame for Season 6's problems rests with Josh Haber. He didn't have the writing chops necessary to be showrunner. If someone like Vogel or McCarthy had been in charge, I believe Season 6 would've been less divisive.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 2

It was okay, but not really the best season.

While I wouldn't say it was my favorite season, it isn't my least favorite either.

However my ranking would be 4>5>3>2>6>1.

There were some good highlights such as the Finale, Flutter Brutter, and The Times are a Changeling.

But for the most part, the season wasn't really that interesting.

I really loved Season 6 because I thought it was a transitioning seasons since the show now didn't want to use the same stuff every season and they wanted to go in a different direction compared to previous seasons, I'm thinking Season 7 will be an improvement. I don't like how some fans want to see the same stuff from the first season assuming that they're still relevant now.

• Brohoof 1

Season 6 wasn't necessarily bad... Like I don't remember any episodes being anywhere near as atrocious as Slice of Life. Most episodes were mediocre while others might have been pretty good - not a single episode from this season is memorable to me.

It came to the point where I wasn't really looking forward to new episodes at all anymore - just another thing in my schedule.

Season 6 has a strong cased for Best season...
if you are weesh.

It had the strongest character arc of any season.
It was very relationship focused, and light on action.
It build on the development of many key stories in satisfying ways.

yeah, there was some dreck, like in every season, for me, one of the best two seasons for sure.  
The people that hated this season, or were underwhelmed, must have very different expectations and hopes from myself.

Edited by weesh