Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't Applejack just ask a unicorn for help at the barn?

Newdisplayname

I might be wrong but every apple ive seen has been an earth pony. In applebuck season twilight helped and was able to do nearly half the harvest just by using her majic, applejack could just have a unicorn help. Also in applejacks day off when applejack was using the sprinkelers applejack had to activate then one by one then twilight did it all at once.

unicorns are overpowered

Edited by Yellow Diamond
Topic title restored for the benefit of other members.

The Apple family is pretty traditional, they like doing things the "Earth Pony" way, this is especially shown in Winter Wrap up, when AJ get's upset at Twilight for using her magic to do things. They aren't entirely against getting help with magic at times, but they like doing things the old school way.

Edited by BasementGlimmer
  • Brohoof 6

Because only mighty Earth Pony magic can properly care for the plants that the Apples raise. Why don't we see whole families of unicorn farmers growing corn or something? Because they don't have a connection to the land.

Without those Earth Ponies, the rest of Equestria would starve. Remember the three tribes? The Earth Ponies are the masters of farming. Stomp on their business and they'll buck back by stockpiling and gouging food prices.

I'm going to guess that it wouldn't be very cheap to hire a reasonably skilled unicorn as a farm workpony. So it may just be unprofitable for Apple family. But it probably is mostly because of earth pony traditions and the customary "division of labor".

• Brohoof 2

Telekenesis is phenomenally useful from a practical standpoint. The extent to which it's useful probably is countered by how much it's desired to be used by unicorns for actual work.

Think about Rarity. She manipulates fabric and tools all the time. Speaking from an engineering standpoint, her most useful occupation would probably be something like a warehouse worker or post sorter, where manipulation and organization of materials was the only task. Rarity and everyone who knew her would find it a travesty of a waste to have her working labor when she could be doing something creative. Thus unicorns doing magical manual labor or hiring themselves out for such may not be common.

Maybe there are unicorns who find it fine and dandy to just move things around with telekinesis and do it for pay, but maybe it isn't worth the expense to Applejack.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

There's a certain amount of pride with doing work yourself. I could easily hire someone to do everything for me, but I love to learn how to do basic house work myself (plumbing, minor electric, etc.). It's saved me hundreds of dollars over the years, and I feel pride doing it.

I'm sure if she wanted to hire a unicorn to do it for her, she could, but it just wouldn't be the same. Even if her friends did it for free, it just wouldn't be...her work and her pride in it.

• Brohoof 1

To an Earth Pony like Applejack, using magic can be seen as taking the easy way out when it comes to performing physical labour, something she reminds the audience on a regular basis. A unicorn working at Sweet Apple Acres would find it difficult since everyone there uses their natural skills instead of something deemed unnatural in the form of magic--even though magic is a natural skill a unicorn learns. Also, Applejack is the kind of pony who would prefer to do something on her own without any help.

Like Rarity she takes a lot of pride in her work and would rather her and the family do as much of it as possible.

Having said that, we've seen both Twilight and Rarity help her out with some stuff in a few episodes so if she ask them, they'll help out.

IMO, the Earth Ponies have a bit of an inferiority complex to the other tribes.  This leads them to take the attitude "We don't need you to do stuff for us, we're big ponies & can do it ourselves"  Even if it is WAY more work, they prefer to do stuff themselves to prove to themselves that they can manage by themselves.  I point to Winter Wrap Up as an example

• Brohoof 1

A few reasons:

A. What happened at Sweet Apple Acres 'Applejack's Day Off' before Applejack came back. She would be afraid of the unicorns not understanding their duties on the farm.

B. She takes pride in what she does herself.

C. The Apples are steeped in tradition. It's a family farm, so they manage it as a family.

The Apple family is pretty traditional, they like doing things the "Earth Pony" way, this is especially shown in Winter Wrap up, when AJ get's upset at Twilight for using her magic to do things. They aren't entirely against getting help with magic at times, but they like doing things the old school way.

Agreed. The Apples are a pretty proud family. They want to do things their way, and they want to do it themselves.

Why don't unicorns ask Earth Ponies to help build stuff? As we've seen before their levitation, unless extremely powerful, is limited. Earth Ponies are gifted with unparalleled strength. Why don't pegasi ask earth ponies to help farm? Must be hard to grow crops on clouds.

Earth ponies has a special sort of way to help grow the plants and livestock perhaps it's their form of magic. It's how much their technique and labor that they put in that contributes to a successful farm especially one that's been built on the backs of down-to-earth ponies for generations. Traditions, pride and even a bit of stubbornness might refrained Applejack to rely on others for what she made of.

It's totally because the unicorns would take over their jobs. The problems that Earth ponies already face are YUUUGE, and I think Applejack needs to build a wall to keep them out.

But in all seriousness, it's just used to show the family's traditions and/or move the plot along by giving Applejack a purpose (RIP Applejack).

• 2 years later...

A big part of it most likely has to do with family tradition. The apple family just wants to do things the way they always have, which means no magic.

Another part could also be the Earth Pony pride. They want to show that they are perfectly capable and useful, even without magic and flying. It would kind of be like them thinking that flight and magic are just ways to cheat on life. Plus, they would think that their reputation would go down with a Unicorns helping out. Both of these seem like reasons in which the apple family would have.

because earth ponies would be worthless otherwise. (The more i "think" about it the more i feel like earth ponies look like and are treated like immigrants in their own country).

Edited by Ittoni