Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's Your Favorite Science?

Lucky Bolt

(edited)
  • Astronomy: I love space. I jump for joy every time NASA announces that they've discovered new exoplanets I hope to be alive when NASA announces that they've discovered extra-terrestrial life.
  • Astrobiology: I love looking into how being in space impacts the human body.
  • Chemistry: Two words: Chemical, Reactions
  • Meteorology: I love researching how thunderstorms work, how tornadoes work, and so on.
Edited by Lance Shield
  • Brohoof 1

Mathematics.

purity.png

Or, if you have semantic objections against that particular choice, I like physics. Particle physics, celestial mechanics, kinematic physics, quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, string theory, relativity, you name it, I've researched it. Also lots of maths. :catface:

• Brohoof 2

Computer Science by far, though any type of science is very interesting.

I don't like science at all

I prefer math,but if I had to choose between which science I like the most-It'll have to be chemistry 

but bottom line I don't like it lol.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:39 AM, Nico said:

Computer Science by far

Since I often help out my mom with trivial computer tasks this is what my mom thinks "Computer Science" is

51BUtcXTKLL._SX466_.jpg

Mac-Apple-copy-paste.jpg

ytd-video-downloader-05-700x530.png

I love all the sciences :D No matter the discipline you can always learn new things!

Tho I gotta say that astronomy, paleontology and biology gotta be my favs :)

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Favorite would have to be astronomy! :D

I also enjoy optics as there's quite a bit of overlap with my hobbies in amateur astronomy and UV/IR photography.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Physics. I think it's the coolest and most useful for the average person.

I actually took two years of physics in high school (pre-IB and IB) just so I could avoid taking biology and still get all the science credits I needed to graduate :ButtercupLaugh: I did not want to dissect stuff or learn about that kind of thing. Living beings are repulsive. Give me forces and light any day.

Physics and chemistry. Not to rag on biology but it's a little outside of what I've been looking for.

As for what I'm looking for, it's answers for the Energiewende. Replacing the burning of fossil fuels with mostly solar and wind power isn't as simple as just installing solar panels and erecting wind turbines. The sun doesn't always shine and the wind doesn't always blow. Aside from daily variations, these two forms of renewable energy are also subject to seasonal variations. While solar and wind do complement one another, it isn't perfect. One idea is to take surplus solar and wind energy and make hydrogen gas (H₂) through the process of electrolysis. One advantage to H₂ is that it can be stored at large enough scales and using similar methods and technologies to what is already being done with Compressed Natural Gas and Liquefied Natural Gas. Green H₂ can be used for key industrial chemical processes such as the production of key chemical commodities -- most notably ammonia and methanol. There is ongoing research in using green H₂ for the processing of iron ores into metallic iron for steel making.

Other than H₂, thermal energy storage also looks promising for large-scale energy storage whether we're looking at hot thermal energy storage or cold thermal energy storage. One edge that thermal energy storage has over batteries is that the square-cube law works in their favor rather than make things trickier like with batteries.

Perhaps it could be said that this is more engineering than science but at the end of the day, engineering is science with purpose. :twi: