Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dave Polsky Not Writing for Season 7

PinkiePie97

The last writer to have been on the show since the beginning has left. Dave Polsky is the showrunner on a new Hasbro show called Hanazuki and has left MLP to work on that.

https://twitter.com/DavePolsky/status/818919085517877248

Although I thought his last episode was his weakest, I was still hoping he could write episodes that could still stand out in season 7 since the current writers don't do it for me the way the old ones did (still liked their episodes, but not as much). But I do wish him the best on Hanazuki and hope the current writers can improve from last season.

• Brohoof 1

We wont see his S4 greatness ever again. After S4, he is one of the most wanted writer in my list, and now, he leave the show without a bang, he didnt redeem for his mediocre On Your Marks and Apploosa Most Wanted...

The last writer to have been on the show since the beginning has left. Dave Polsky is the showrunner on a new Hasbro show called Hanazuki and has left MLP to work on that.

https://twitter.com/DavePolsky/status/818919085517877248

Although I thought his last episode was his weakest, I was still hoping he could write episodes that could still stand out in season 7 since the current writers don't do it for me the way the old ones did (still liked their episodes, but not as much). But I do wish him the best on Hanazuki and hope the current writers can improve from last season.

Hmm...the last episode he written's for was "On Your Marks" while "Newbie Dash was the last one where he's credited for "Story By...". (David Rapp was credited for "Written by" and "Story by" for the latter)

Original Poster: by "his last episode", did you mean the last episode he's written for (On Your Marks) or last episode where he contributed to the story idea (Newbie Dash)?

That sucks. Well I guess he won't be writing any episodes like "On Your Marks," that's good.

(To be honest CMC episodes, in my opinion, are usually not very good. But that one... was awful.)

Edited by TwillyFSniper

Hmm...the last episode he written's for was "On Your Marks" while "Newbie Dash was the last one where he's credited for "Story By...". (David Rapp was credited for "Written by" and "Story by" for the latter)

Original Poster: by "his last episode", did you mean the last episode he's written for (On Your Marks) or last episode where he contributed to the story idea (Newbie Dash)?

On Your Marks. To be honest, I forgot he got a story credit for Newbie Dash.

tbf, his best work were the Rarity episodes in Season 4. The rest of his output imo ranges from alright(Pinkie Keen and Too Many Pinkie Pies) to awful(On Your Marks and Appleoosa's Most Wanted), not to mention, I'm still salty as fuck over Newbie Dash(though apparently he took a break due to medical issues, so chances are the episode got a lot of changes once it left his hands).

Of all the veteran writers to leave, I honestly won't lose much sleep over his departure :/

• Brohoof 1

Admittedly, out of all of the writers he will likely be the one I miss the least. Granted he had a few good episodes, and maybe a few I thought were underrated, but overall he never really left that much of an impact on me. Really, I think there is plenty of potential with the newer writers that Polsky leaving won't be much of a detriment.

We'll see though. :)

• Brohoof 4

The one to benefit most from this news is Spike. Spike always seemed to turn into the resident butt monkey when Polsky was the writer (namely, "Spike at Your Service" and "Equestria Games"). That's not including Polsky's tendency to forget Twilight's powers for plot contrivances.

Of course, "Feeling Pinkie Keen" was perhaps Polsky's low point early on. Nothing says fun like setting off everyone on a needless faith vs. science debate!

So while I wish Dave Polsky well and am a bit sad to see the last of the "old guard" move on, creatively speaking, I won't miss him much at all.

The one to benefit most from this news is Spike. Spike always seemed to turn into the resident butt monkey when Polsky was the writer (namely, "Spike at Your Service" and "Equestria Games"). That's not including Polsky's tendency to forget Twilight's powers for plot contrivances.

Of course, "Feeling Pinkie Keen" was perhaps Polsky's low point early on. Nothing says fun like setting off everyone on a needless faith vs. science debate!

So while I wish Dave Polsky well and am a bit sad to see the last of the "old guard" move on, creatively speaking, I won't miss him much at all.

Spike at Your Service was actually written by Merriwether Williams, not Dave. Dave was only credited for the story. The original episode had him doing stuff for Rarity, but that episode was scrapped because they felt it was too mean. But yeah, Spike was really out of character in this episode. It would've turned out better, if he wasn't making a mess in doing AJ's chores, cause usually he's better at doing them.

• Brohoof 1

Spike at Your Service was actually written by Merriwether Williams, not Dave. Dave was only credited for the story. The original episode had him doing stuff for Rarity, but that episode was scrapped because they felt it was too mean. But yeah, Spike was really out of character in this episode. It would've turned out better, if he wasn't making a mess in doing AJ's chores, cause usually he's better at doing them.

It still had Polsky's stink all over it, as one of my friends was wont to say, but I get what you mean. Spike is, as you mentioned, incompetent and out of character. It's one of my least favorite episodes for that exact reason.

Well, i am actually surprised that he didn't go earlier. While i wouldn't call him my favorite writer, i certainly say that he was talented and that he showed from time to time that he could pull off good episodes. He stayed with ponies for 7 years and i think this kinda loyalty should be respected. He probably seeks for a new challenge now though.

Good luck Dave. Hope you have fun with your new project. :)

• Brohoof 5

And now we have the "DIZ SHOW IZ RUINED" whiners taking over.

Folks, the show is not ruined. There's just a change of tone.

We keep losing our veteran writers, it's ok to be freak out a little bit ;_;. It not about losing one writer, it about losing one after another ;_;.

I have no hard feelings for Dave Polsky deparating. He gave us great episodes throughout his 6 seasons with the show. I really feel like he hit his stride in the 4th and 5th season. Rarity takes Manehattan, For whom the Sweetie Belle Toils, and Brotherhooves Social are my favorite episodes from him.

It's a little sad seeing him go, as he was the final writer pre-season 4 to still be in the show. I wish him the best of luck with his new show and all other future endeavors  :proud:.

• Brohoof 2

Probably was inevitable once the show got to this point that all of the original writers would leave. Can't keep them on one thing forever. Even compared to some of the shaky later writers, Polsky was probably one of the most uneven the show's ever had, so I won't miss him as much as Larson or Haber, but he still did a lot of great work on this show, especially in season 4. Just hoping we can get a stable collection of new writers in place now. 

So now Polsky has been added to the list of writers who have left the show to pursue other things? Granted, his episodes were okay for me at best though a couple of them in my opinion were some of the best I've seen. Will I lose any sleep over him leaving? Not really as this is what he wanted to do. When opportunity comes calling, you should accept it otherwise you may not get another chance.

• Brohoof 1

Season 6 Spike was a vast improvement over the aforementioned Spike episodes, so there are good things coming his way.

It's disappointing seeing the last old writer leave, but I am optimistic about the new ones now that they have a season or two under their belts. Here's to hoping that fresh writers can breathe some new life into the show for Season 7 and possibly beyond...

• Brohoof 3

And now we have the "DIZ SHOW IZ RUINED" whiners taking over.

Folks, the show is not ruined. There's just a change of tone.

I think those fans gives us a bad rap, they probably whine about anything in the show and they're hard to please.

• Brohoof 2

The highest point of Dave's episodes for me was Brotherhooves Social and a majority of Dave's episodes tend to be controversial. So, not all that big a loss really.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Probably was inevitable once the show got to this point that all of the original writers would leave. Can't keep them on one thing forever. Even compared to some of the shaky later writers, Polsky was probably one of the most uneven the show's ever had, so I won't miss him as much as Larson or Haber, but he still did a lot of great work on this show, especially in season 4. Just hoping we can get a stable collection of new writers in place now. 

Where did you see that Haber left? I can't find any flat out confirmation.

Edited by PinkiePie97

Well, look on the bright side. Although he did his greatest work on mlp, he has arguably started going downhill a bit. Getting a fresh new writing crew in will liven mlp up a bit. I loved a lot of the new writers' episodes myself. They made mistakes, but that is understandable

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 1

Thats it. The show is done. Lol no.

I give him credit for Too many Pinkie Pies but after that i cant remember anything amazing. Qui te contrary. Maybe it was about time.